AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you find the theory of the 10th dimension plausible?
Yes 20 51.28%
Er ... no 5 12.82%
Maybe ... sitting on the fence here 14 35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-12-30, 13:28   Link #1
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
The 10th Dimension

So how many of you believe in this theory find this theory plausible ? ^^ I find it whacky but surprisingly logical - all that follows now is the time machine

Source: http://www.tenthdimension.com/medialinks.php

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2007-12-30 at 15:19.
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 13:44   Link #2
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
So how many of you believe in this theory? ^^ I find it whacky but surprisingly logical - all that follows now is the time machine

isnt this part of string theory? correct me if i'm wrong
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 13:48   Link #3
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
So how many of you believe in this theory? ^^ I find it whacky but surprisingly logical - all that follows now is the time machine

In The 12 min... my Head Like This
Old 2007-12-30, 13:57   Link #4
innominate
hiatus almost permanent

Yes it's string theory. Scientists are using string theories to calculate and make predictions of the movement of particles... err, it's supposed to be one of the keys to unifying the fundamental forces of nature. Check GUT on wiki. =3

There are other theories, anyway

I think.

Oh, and just for the sake of desy's question... I find the theory plausible. =)
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 14:02   Link #5
Ziv

They stole ideas from a novel written in the 1800s to make that =P So much for their ideas being cutting edge.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 14:24   Link #6
Kristen
*Author

Quote:

Me 12 minutes ago -
Me now -

Confusing... It's logical. It just doesn't seem right.
Old 2007-12-30, 14:26   Link #7
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

It makes logical sense when thought of that way, but anything beyond the 7th dimension is completely beyond imagination. The consequences of connecting with a parallel universe with different natural laws and universal constants is just...

IMO, it doesn't matter if this theory is right or not. We are still stuck in the third dimension as far as movement goes. As much as I would love a time machine, the time paradoxes we already have prevent us from actually folding branched space-time.
Old 2007-12-30, 14:27   Link #8
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Is it going to make me warp to the future when anime girls are feasible in reality? If so, where can I make a donation to these guys?

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 14:34   Link #9
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

It's really hard for me to grasp this concept of 10th dimension, hell I thought 4th dimension it self was hard to grasp it. Though it would be great to travel through dimension and time.
Old 2007-12-30, 15:13   Link #10
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
IMO, it doesn't matter if this theory is right or not. We are still stuck in the third dimension as far as movement goes. As much as I would love a time machine, the time paradoxes we already have prevent us from actually folding branched space-time.
Indeed
It's hard enough to crack the 4th let alone the 10th

I guess when that happens, I should call the person God :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2007-12-30, 15:16   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
So how many of you believe in this theory? ^^
You don't *believe* in theories... you use them as plausible models until they're discredited. Example: I don't "believe" in evolution. I find it the most plausible model based on all the facts.

So, ... meh.
Old 2007-12-30, 15:18   Link #12
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You don't *believe* in theories... you use them as plausible models until they're discredited. Example: I don't "believe" in evolution. I find it the most plausible model based on all the facts.

So, ... meh.
yadda yadda oopsie XD

Gah I should have put up a poll for this >.>

edit: thx sky

Old 2007-12-30, 15:29   Link #13
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Well I Voted For Yes ....You Don't Know Every Thing Can Happen ..
Old 2007-12-30, 15:59   Link #14
Dxon
Inactive Member

What is the 10th dimension? Or is that already being told in the video??
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 16:10   Link #15
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
for people who are wondering what is the 10th dimension
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_string_theory
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 16:26   Link #16
Lanner Falcon
Lord of the Crimson Realm

Possibly, but, they have yet to prove that string theory is more than… a theory, and much less, "Super String Theory". Besides, logically there are to many fallacies. So maybe, but just maybe. It's a little out there.
Lanner Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 16:34   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
There are no time paradoxes. The butterfly effect under this theory only creates a new branching point in reality (one where you went back in time and stepped on a butterfly). But, there would still be a future where you didn't step on a butterfly.

So if you went back in time and killed your father, the you of that time may not be born, but you would still be alive because you came from a time where your father was not killed by you going back in time to kill him. All you'd be doing is creating a new reality that branched from that point on, nothing more.

Remember, each dimension is a relative point. That was the whole reason behind starting with the perspective of a Flatlander in the video demonstration. To him the universe appears one way, to us it appears in another way. To a being of the fourth dimension, shifting between different time points would be as natural as us moving around in three dimensions.

As far as never seeing those other dimensions, well that isn't true either. Think of the dimensions as a chess board - you have the flat surface, the third dimension pieces, and the time limit is relative to how you play the game.

As you first start playing chess you can only think ahead a little bit, and as you master the game you start to think of an infinite number of possible moves, and you choose the best one for you. Staying a few moves ahead is important, but in a way you are thinking in four dimensions - it hasn't happened yet, but in your head you are treating it like it has and branching from there.

You could think of those chess computers like Deep Blue as a higher dimension, computing all possible outcomes of all possible moves, but it's limited in only deciding what is beneficial for that moment. Because a computer lacks the imagination to see beyond that moment, the human mind has an advantage. Which is why we haven't invented an unbeatable chess computer yet.

As for the actual technology of being able to "shift" dimensions or anything like that, well no one can really predict it at this point. We're much farther ahead on theory than we are on technology, so it's a bit difficult to test this stuff with anything more than circumstantial evidence.

I believe it will be possible one day to go to alternate realities at the very least. Assuming this realities race survives that long.

On an anime related note, I really couldn't help but think of Blue Drop while watching that video.
Old 2007-12-30, 18:08   Link #18
Defron
Soy Bean

Wow, thats an interesting coincidence, on Thursday I stumble uponed this exact video.

Anyway, right now Strings theory is one of the strongest ones of the "unifying" theories, strings is my favorite, but An exceptionally simple theory of everything is a close second.
Defron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 19:22   Link #19
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Theoretical physics--no quicker way of making someone's head spin =).

It sounds logical but that still doesn't make it any more completely off the wall.

Though it does give legitimacy to vegeta's phrase

"I'LL SEND YOU TO ANOTHER DIMENSION!"

Old 2007-12-30, 20:15   Link #20
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
The end note says it all: This isn't even actual string theory, just a thought experiment to help understand string theory.

And string theory is, after all, just a theory, which means...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

So, ... meh.
Exactly.

Can you imagine going back in time and telling Isaac Newton that his laws of physics were a load of crap? After his experiment results and arguments and mathematic proofs... You would end up telling him that while his explanations are capable of explaining his limited problem set, the universe is a more complex place with all sorts of circumstances and events he hasn't yet been able to test for which his theories fall short.

But, for all he had observed, he was right. Those same theories hold just as true for us today and prove quite useful for experimenting, proving, and explaining things in our world when we don't explore outside of that territory. Newton wasn't so wrong so much as the implications his theories had on our model of the universe were wrong.

Quantum theory was much the same. The math worked and assuming its truth proved useful in explaining and experimenting... The difference was that we knew it was a load of crap to begin with. The man often called the "father of quantum physics", Erwin Schrödinger, along with Einstein, thought that his day's theory was poor, and he illustrated it with his famous Schrödinger's cat thought experiment... But he didn't have any better suggestions.

String theory is the progression of quantum theory. It seems to explain more and it addresses some of the shortcomings of quantum theory... but it's never been tested. We aren't yet capable of performing the experiments to test and prove it. That technically makes it a hypothesis. We're not even sure it accurately describes what we know today, much less of what it implies.

You'll see some people--scientists, purportedly--state it as fact, though. Think about that: Some of the people who should be among the most dedicated to the scientific method choose to actually believe the implications it has, taking for fact what is nothing more than speculation. That's nothing more than bad religion. Take this as a lesson on the cost of hubris.

Remember, folks: Anything you know to be true is merely the best explanation you have based on the facts you are aware of, and you should make evaluations accordingly, always pursuing the truth and fleeing the belief in unfounded speculation. You should apply this to everything you believe, from science to politics philosophy to religion, and everything in between.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote