AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-26, 04:15   Link #221
Stormwhite

Send a message via MSN to Stormwhite
Yeah, I think in

Spoiler for Book 7:
Old 2009-10-26, 08:47   Link #222
Tabasco

Huh.

Interesting, it kind of makes you wonder what she does, if anything. How sad would it be if she just sat at her little table all night staring at the walls until morning...
Old 2009-10-26, 12:22   Link #223
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I'm sure she can sleep, she just chooses not to.

*e*
Spoiler for Vol7:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-26, 12:31   Link #224
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well in all fairness, Mikuru is already scared of Nagato.
Old 2009-10-26, 12:55   Link #225
Stormwhite

I'm sure anyone would be creeped out if they
Spoiler for Book 7:
Old 2009-10-26, 13:05   Link #226
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
You forget that
Spoiler for Vol7:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-26, 13:29   Link #227
freakonboard

From an in-universe point of view, I think it makes sense why she's scared.

For Mikuru, Yuki is just like a docile lion or something along the lines of that.
Old 2009-10-26, 14:01   Link #228
Stormwhite

Yeah I know that

Spoiler for Book 7:
Old 2009-10-26, 16:12   Link #229
TakariCritic

Speaking of Novel 7, I was actually quite pleased to see those two come to an understanding of one another. After all, since we're confined by Kyon's POV, it's not uncommon to overlook how Yuki, Mikuru, and Koizumi feel about each other.

And even though Mikuru is scared of Yuki, she still shows compassion towards her when
Spoiler for NOVEL 7. Honestly, read it people!:
Old 2009-10-26, 17:14   Link #230
Stormwhite

True, but that's just Mikuru(small)'s personality imho, she's naturally compassionate towards people, even people she doesn't necessarily like.
Old 2009-10-27, 19:00   Link #231
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwhite View Post
True, but that's just Mikuru(small)'s personality imho, she's naturally compassionate towards people, even people she doesn't necessarily like.
I don't know, when she demonstred being compassinated towards anyone else?

Not saying you are wrong, but I interpreted the same way as Takari. Also, I don't remember well, but I am pretty sure she said something friendly about Yuki just after
Spoiler for Book 7:
Old 2009-10-28, 13:01   Link #232
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Wow, Kyon seems like an absolute jackass here in his treatment of Yuki.
Old 2009-10-28, 13:54   Link #233
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

I've never been able to wrap my head around why people insist that Kyon 'is a jackass' towards Yuki. I feel like the view probably originates from difficulties grasping the nature of Kyon and Yuki's relationship. Their trust in each other is implicit: both of them know how the other feels about the bond and acknowledge it internally, so they don't have a need for overt gestures or even covert gestures of the sort that Haruhi's tsundere qualities lead to in Kyon's relationship with her.

Additionally, I think that as obvious as Yuki's feelings for Kyon are, she, like he, is constantly reminded by the events of the story that they have a job to do. Kyon enlisting her aid most often is the obvious choice as he trusts her more than anyone, knows that she is capable and patient, and most importantly: won't ask too many questions. It seems people often forget how frequently Kyon's under the gun, and the whole
Spoiler for seventh book:

So what if Kyon doesn't make frequent big, obvious gestures of thanks to Yuki? He certainly thinks about finding some way to repay his debt to her a lot, but he's also realistic about the things he can and cannot do versus the power of an alien robot data goddess. That being said, when
Spoiler for book four:

As far as I'm concerned, Kyon and Yuki understand each other and the situation more than well enough for this to be sufficient and then some.
Old 2009-10-28, 16:00   Link #234
DmitryEV

Send a message via ICQ to DmitryEV
Yuki will defends Kyon while Data Overmind needs in him as key for Haruhi, but what will be when Data Overmind reach it's goals?
Old 2009-10-28, 16:13   Link #235
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
I've never been able to wrap my head around why people insist that Kyon 'is a jackass' towards Yuki. I feel like the view probably originates from difficulties grasping the nature of Kyon and Yuki's relationship. Their trust in each other is implicit: both of them know how the other feels about the bond and acknowledge it internally, so they don't have a need for overt gestures or even covert gestures of the sort that Haruhi's tsundere qualities lead to in Kyon's relationship with her.

Additionally, I think that as obvious as Yuki's feelings for Kyon are, she, like he, is constantly reminded by the events of the story that they have a job to do. Kyon enlisting her aid most often is the obvious choice as he trusts her more than anyone, knows that she is capable and patient, and most importantly: won't ask too many questions. It seems people often forget how frequently Kyon's under the gun, and the whole
Spoiler for seventh book:

So what if Kyon doesn't make frequent big, obvious gestures of thanks to Yuki? He certainly thinks about finding some way to repay his debt to her a lot, but he's also realistic about the things he can and cannot do versus the power of an alien robot data goddess. That being said, when
Spoiler for book four:

As far as I'm concerned, Kyon and Yuki understand each other and the situation more than well enough for this to be sufficient and then some.
I partially agree with you. I agree with the major message, Kyon does care a lot for Yuki and have demonstred it. More then once.

However, his behavior in Vol.7 wasn't that nice.
Spoiler for Intrigues:

I agree, however, is not so much a big deal as some (specially Kogetsu) makes appear to be, but isn't something to be ignored either.
Old 2009-10-29, 03:12   Link #236
Archangel Roy
Nandaiyo
*Graphic Designer

this book seven sounds interesting. i should read it once i have finished with the earlier volumes
Old 2009-10-29, 04:03   Link #237
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
I would like to point out to those who discussed earlier Mikuru's fear of Yuki that we do not know what role the Human Interfaces played in shaping the events of the future. In Disappearance...

Spoiler for Book 4:
Old 2009-10-29, 07:29   Link #238
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
I've never been able to wrap my head around why people insist that Kyon 'is a jackass' towards Yuki..
Ok, to be fair I have not read book 7 yet. However curiosity got the better of me, so I opened the spoiler tabs. Kudos to all who posted for managing to get the idea across without actually spoiling the story.

Personally, if I were Kyon I will be far nicer to Yuki, after what she has done for me. Maybe nice enough that Kogetsu might want to use that knife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
I would like to point out to those who discussed earlier Mikuru's fear of Yuki that we do not know what role the Human Interfaces played in shaping the events of the future. In Disappearance...

Spoiler for Book 4:
Or maybe she is just afraid of the Near-Omnipotent Alien. Who won't be?
Old 2009-10-29, 10:11   Link #239
Tabasco

At first I could see that. But the fact that that fear seems to continue throughout the series, and even into the elder Mikuru's time, seems to indicate there's a concrete reason for it. IE "they burned Chicago to the ground back in '22" or something similar.
Old 2009-10-30, 00:36   Link #240
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Or maybe she is just afraid of the Near-Omnipotent Alien. Who won't be?
^ This, but there's more to it.

We have seen three "organizations" in the Haruhi series (let's ignore the "anti" organizations from SMS and Volumes 7 and 9 for now). We've got Yuki's nigh-omnipotent Data Overmind and the rest of its similarly powered Humanoid Interfaces. We've got Mikuru's people from the future, with all the advances in technology and understanding of the physical (and metaphysical) world that that implies (not to mention specific knowledge of certain future events). And we've got the Haruhi equivalent of the X-Men, Itsuki's Organization (Agency, etc.), whose knowledge of the other two groups is surprisingly considerable.

Now think about how each group would view the others. Yuki's group is not going to pay the others much attention. She's already criticized the Time Travelers' core technology, and neither the powers nor the information gathering of the Espers come close to her own.

Itsuki's fellow espers have a surprising grasp of the abilities and origins of the other two groups, and are certainly aware that in sheer power (Data Overmind) and technology (both) their group is severely lacking, but they're still humans of this era, with a modern understanding of the world. Kyon similarly has an idea of Yuki's and Mikuru's powers and abilities—better, honestly, than that of the Organization—but nothing concrete to compare it to. And of course Haruhi and the rest of the humans are clueless.

Mikuru and her Time Travelers, however, with their greater knowledge of things in general and the years and years more of experience with knowledge of the Data Overmind, don't have to speculate at the vast powers of Yuki or the rest of the Overmind. They very likely know. And that knowledge scares the bejeezus out of Mikuru(both).

Also, should Itsuki or one of the other espers do the wrong thing around Yuki or Kimidori (much less a hypothetical resurrected Ryoko) and get the "turned to sparklies" treatment (or an errant knife), it would suck, but it wouldn't be a massive loss in their grand scheme of things. Mikuru, on the other hand, has things she needs to do, and a much more tenuous position. She gets vaped, or sent back home, or even interfered with to a point—three things the Interfaces wouldn't have to put any real effort into—and not only is she personally screwed, but there very likely is no longer a future for her to worry about. Or at least not one that's hers anymore.

Tags
characters