AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-12-04, 22:30   Link #381
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I guess this makes sense in a way since if this was really a tv series people would have (and have already) compared this to Madoka. You know people are just gonna say Shaft is trying to ride the magical girl train to the ground. I'm disappointed of course if this was really just pinball machines stuff, but at the same time I feel that in terms of Shaft's actual company image it's a..."better move"?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 22:35   Link #382
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
but at the same time I feel that in terms of Shaft's actual company image it's a..."better move"?
To put something this enticing on pachinko machines that the majority of the board will likely never get to play takes a lot of balls.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 22:39   Link #383
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
To put something this enticing on pachinko machines that the majority of the board will likely never get to play takes a lot of balls.
Well, I don't think they were exactly thinking of us as the audience when they made this. And, as I said, there's no reason someone can't see other opportunities here based on the displayed level of interest.
Old 2012-12-04, 22:41   Link #384
Midonin
Last Engage

They're a perfectly valid venue - I know Combattler V got sort of a revival in pachinko form. Mostly, I just wanted to make a terrible pun.
Old 2012-12-04, 22:46   Link #385
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
I think we can't conclude yet that this is all that will result, even if that's the starting point. There have certainly been anime made based on pachinko franchises before, and in the end it isn't so different from an original story except in the sense of who helped fund it.
I wonder if you're called relentlessflame because your optimism never seems to burn out. >_> I hope you're right though, because I very much liked the look of this series. Its potential goes way beyond just some pachinko games.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 06:53   Link #386
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I guess this makes sense in a way since if this was really a tv series people would have (and have already) compared this to Madoka. You know people are just gonna say Shaft is trying to ride the magical girl train to the ground. I'm disappointed of course if this was really just pinball machines stuff, but at the same time I feel that in terms of Shaft's actual company image it's a..."better move"?
A company should never think this way. It's extremely cowardly and it can easily lead to missed opportunities.

Imagine if Blizzard had said "No way we're making Starcraft. It'll inevitably get compared to Warcraft, and people will say we're just riding the RTS Gravy Train!"

If SHAFT is good at magical girl anime, then SHAFT is good at magical girl anime. There's nothing shameful about doing a lot of what your good at. And you should never pass up a good project idea just because you're fearful of comparisons between it and one of your more prominent past successes.

All of the above being said, I vaguely recall hearing that pachinko games are actually a pretty big deal in Japan. I guess they never went out of style there like pinball machines did in North America.

Also, I think there was a full-fledged anime based on a pachinko game once (Rio Rainbow Gate, IIRC). So who knows? Maybe there's a give-and-take here:

Pachinko Company Exec: If your PVs up our sales 20% or more, we'll finance a full-fledged Prism Nana anime.

Shinbo: It's a deal!
Old 2012-12-05, 09:54   Link #387
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Also, I think there was a full-fledged anime based on a pachinko game once (Rio Rainbow Gate, IIRC).
Three times. Umi Monogatari and Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel had their origins in pachinko machines too. I also enjoyed all of them on various levels.
Old 2012-12-05, 09:58   Link #388
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Three times. Umi Monogatari and Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel had their origins in pachinko machines too. I also enjoyed all of them on various levels.
Four... you forgot Sengoku Otome.

Oh well, it would be really funny if there is no anime for those PVs
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 10:03   Link #389
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Four... you forgot Sengoku Otome.
Right, that one too. I can say one thing about all these pachinko-based anime - I've enjoyed them all to some degree. (Umi Monogatari probably has the best atmosphere, but the other three have their own quirks.) So it's not the worst pedigree to come from.
Old 2012-12-05, 10:08   Link #390
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Pachinko Company Exec: If your PVs up our sales 20% or more, we'll finance a full-fledged Prism Nana anime.

Shinbo: It's a deal!
Except that this project wasn't revealed to be connected to pachinko machines in the first place. If it was explained during the pre-pv days I'll agree with you. I'm guessing that shaft accepted this offer because they still need stable financing and a pachinko company, no matter how low and dirty it is for Japanese society, is more than perfect.
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 10:21   Link #391
sirn
田舎者言うな

There's also Zettai Shougeki which I think is more resembles Prism Nana. ZS, while originally a project originated from Pachinko company, the Pachinko is only part of the franchise, not the "Original Work". The project is a collaboration of 10 companies, each responsible for certain aspect of it. For example, Artpresto (Bandai Namco) responsible for website, Aristocrat for Pachinko machine, Cospa for general goods, Shochiku for anime (which released as OVA), Lantis for music, Futabasha for manga, and such. Only character design and world settings is considered Original Work in ZS.

Kubota-san mentioned this project was offered to SHAFT by certain firm which I'm sure this certain firm is the Pachinko company. While he said he convinced the firm to let SHAFT do all of it instead of original plan of letting many companies do it, he also said SHAFT (or rather, animation producer Okada Yasuhiro) was the one who decided the whole magical girl genre, offered Kantoku for character designs, decide about theme songs and thought up basic settings. If this was a PV for Pachinko machine that DAXEL owns all rights to it, the genre and character designs would be decided by a Pachinko firm, not anime company. Not to mentioned Goodsmile is also involved in this (for goods). So I'm willing to bet there's more into it than just a simple PV for Pachinko machine.

Also, Shinbo is not involved in PV production (even though I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will do one PV out of seven) so stop dragging him into this.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 11:26   Link #392
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

^ Good Smile is involved in goods that doesn't have anime. Our only hope right now is for an official announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
Also, Shinbo is not involved in PV production (even though I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will do one PV out of seven) so stop dragging him into this.
Honestly I'd rather put him out of this project. Three directors in and they've captured his style completely one who knows Shinbo's thing will be thinking these directors are his perfect clones. Especially Miyamoto. He improved greatly.
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-05, 12:02   Link #393
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_noob View Post
^ Good Smile is involved in goods that doesn't have anime. Our only hope right now is for an official announcement.
I was just comparing that to Zettai Shougeki. Substitute Aristocrat for DAXEL, Shichiku for SHAFT and COSPA for Goodsmile, etc. Doesn't change that this is just a wishful thinking, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_noob View Post
Honestly I'd rather put him out of this project. Three directors in and they've captured his style completely one who knows Shinbo's thing will be thinking these directors are his perfect clones. Especially Miyamoto. He improved greatly.
Calling Numata and Sakai Shinbo's clone doesn't do them justice. PV2 mostly consisted of someone who don't usually work with SHAFT (although Numata participated in Kaizo and Madoka Movie) from direction down to coloring (Sakamoto Izumi) and backgrounds (Hariu Katsufumi).

Shinbo and Miyamoto interview at ASCII.jp about Miyamoto's direction style (and how Shinbo's style is tied into SHAFT in general) is a very interesting read. One thing he mentioned is that Miyamoto style is speedy and cool, such as he almost don't have a "wait" after each character speaks before swapping to the next cut, which is something Shinbo won't do. I think this unique style of Miyamoto is really clear in PV3 (or at least from what I've seen in the 30 secs PV).
Old 2012-12-05, 12:11   Link #394
EroKing

Old 2012-12-15, 05:52   Link #395
sirn
田舎者言うな

Updates in roughly the past week...

PV03

PV Director: Miyamoto Yukihiro (Madoka Magica series director, Madoka Magica Movies director)
PV Storyboard: Sasaki Mitsuru (Hidamari xSP OP, ED storyboards, Hidamari xHoneycomb OP, half of Honeycomb episodes storyboards)
Animation Character Design: Nakamura Naoto (Prism Nana PV01 character designer)
Animation Director: Shinohara Kenji (Macross F Sayonara no Tsubasa Chief Animation Director)
Key Animation:
Taniguchi Jun'ichiro (beginning part) (Madoka Magica chief animation director, Madoka Magica Movies character designer)
Kikuta Kouichi (Transformation scene) (Seitokai Yakuin Domo ED animation)
Sasaki Mitsuru (Asuka's brother part, probably not in digest PV)
Background Materials: DIRECTIONS (Arakawa Under The Bridge 2 OP2, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko OP)
Backgrounds: Studio Tulip

This is 8th Sasaki's storyboard this season alone! (after Honeycomb OP, ep3, ep4, ep7, ep8, ep9, ep11).

Interview 04 (Miyamoto Yukihiro x Okada Yasuhiro) is up at official website. Some interesting parts includes:
  • This PV was made with a tightest schedule of all 7 (due to background materials creation at DIRECTIONS) and was made by only 4 keyframe staff.
  • Asuka's boobs were Kikuta-san's doings. Although Shinohara-san correct it back to smaller size, Kikuta-san keep changing it back.
  • Asuka's brother is not yet dead, although everyone who watched the PV might think he is.

There're few bits of Prism Nana in Febri Vol.14 and Karucha Syndrome (IP restriction?):
  • In an interview with TBS (Hidamari, Sasami's broadcast station) Producer Tanaka Jun'ichiro in Shinbogatari (Febri), Producer Tanaka mentions he want to do an original anime project with SHAFT and Shinbo, something hot-blooded ("like girl's version Gurren Lagann") and think Prism Nana might be a good candidate.
  • Prism Nana information corner in Karucha Syndrome mentions Prism Nana is「本格的にアニメ化に向けて企画進行中」(roughly "under planning to become an anime", which is up to you to interpret what it might be)
  • Karucha Syndrome also mentions PV04 is scheduled for Dec 14... but I bet they meant to say "Interview 04", not PV04.

Prism Nana will also be in Comike at Business Booth 641, and seems to feature a new illustration by Kantoku (Kantoku post a bit of snippet on his personal website).

Last edited by sirn; 2012-12-15 at 09:04.
Old 2012-12-15, 07:06   Link #396
Sol Falling

Awesome stuff. Hmm...okay, so we've got the 30 second previews, but do we even have any news about the PVs themselves yet? Like, when and how they're gonna be released? If it's true that the primary production member for this series is a pachinko company, could it be that the PVs will actually be released through pachinko machines? lol, I am pretty curious about the full versions.

And as for anime version, I hope it will happen/turn out soon. If they're only in the middle of production, though, maybe we'll only see a series in late 2013 or maybe 2014. I'd probably be more or less okay with that, since SHAFT's got so much on their plate already.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 09:07   Link #397
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Prism Nana will also be in Comike at Business Booth 641, and seems to feature a new illustration by Kantoku (Kantoku post a bit of snippet on his personal website).
I'll give you guys a report on the 29th
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 00:48   Link #398
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
[*]Asuka's boobs were Kikuta-san's doings. Although Shinohara-san correct it back to smaller size, Kikuta-san keep changing it back.
Kouichi Kikuta is my hero! It looks like he did the major part of this PV.
So Sasaki again ? I think Miyamoto x Sasaki is a great combination (Kid Icarus shorts & Hidamari SP OP/ED) so I can't wait to watch the whole thing.
I'm somehow surprised that DIRECTIONS' work took so much time since they only do CGI & flash works.
Thanks for this update.
Old 2012-12-17, 10:39   Link #399
maximilianjenus
[E]

so, the pvs are getting a decent welcome and a real anime is being considered ? that's reat news, after all, I had already abandoned hope of an anime adaptation of this.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 22:27   Link #400
Articalys

Fourth PV is up:

Articalys is offline   Reply With Quote