AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-12-10, 03:37   Link #141
Kawarimi
( ゚∀(・-・) 〜(^∇^〜)
*Author

General Sadness Thread

I figured since we had a creepy thread, a positivity thread, and a funny thread, that we could use one for sadness too.

Anything related to sadness, I suppose. Just so there's a place for it as I don't think it's against the rues anyway.

Because you know, sometimes you're just in that mood or just not feelin' it.

Here's a little something to set the mood.

AS' Social Thread
Gone but not forgotten.

REBUILD
Kawarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 04:34   Link #142
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Sadness, or melancholy as I prefer to call it, is something I'm glad to have left behind. Though I maintained a generally cheerful front, perceptive friends could sense the gloomy shades of grey that always seemed to loom around me. It was a difficult time of adjustment from adolescence to adulthood, a reorientation of goals amid a pervading sense of worthlessness, outmatched only by a terrifying fear of being discovered as a fraud.

Not a happy time, though, in comparison with the hardships faced by some people, mine were trivial. It might even have been a normal part of transition. I'm pretty sure many went through something similar, but no one ever really talks about his or her depression, for fear of being alienated or, worse, ridiculed.

The melancholy will pass. In my experience, only the self-indulgent willingly choose to wallow in misery.

====

That aside, I recall Sarah Mclachlan once joking that there was something beautiful about melancholy that kept drawing her towards the mood. Little surprise that I liked quite a number of her songs, to the surprise of a friend who pointed out that her songs were, you know, rather feminist. Heh. Well, I liked the moody British bands of the time too, the likes of U2, Coldplay and Radiohead. So I guess Mclachlan balances them out.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 04:42   Link #143
HasuMasu
*Artist

Sadness as I have come to understand through my personal experience with it, is not necessarily undesirable.

Speaking of which, I found this song by accident earlier today and it makes me feel that sadness that I've come to accept.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-12-10, 05:15   Link #144
Kyuu
=^^=

Y'know that "Social thread" --- y'can just spill out your "Sadness" there.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 05:16   Link #145
HasuMasu
*Artist

Except it just got axed.

Though yeah I don't think this is for venting.

Or well I guess it could be.
Old 2012-12-10, 05:17   Link #146
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Except it just got axed.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=115308

This one?
Old 2012-12-10, 05:22   Link #147
HasuMasu
*Artist

Yea that'd be the one.

A shame, really, but that's getting out of topic.

Or it could not be, that works too.
Old 2012-12-10, 05:34   Link #148
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
So our goal is to share our miseries and misfortunes to others?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 05:38   Link #149
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

There is a Depression thread. Mods may want to merge this with that older thread. Last post on the Depression thread was in June, so it's still fairly "fresh".

Heh, it's funny how I'm starting to become the guy who remembers those almost extinct threads. Another reason to be sad: I'm that much of an old-timer around these parts.
Old 2012-12-10, 06:01   Link #150
Kawarimi
( ゚∀(・-・) 〜(^∇^〜)
*Author

^ Oh well, I searched but I only searched for the word 'sad'.

That's pretty sad.

AS' Social Thread
Gone but not forgotten.

REBUILD
Old 2012-12-10, 07:40   Link #151
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
Depression and sadness aren't exactly the same thing, but yeah, it should be merged. GenjiChan, I think your assumption is correct.
Thank you.

Anyway.. depression's kinda broad. It doesn't mean when you're depress, you are sad...It's kind of uhmmm a mixture of sadness or anger plus confusion or confusion alone...etc. It's very broad even I have a hard time defining it in simple words...

And also depression is kind of alarming.... potential for drinking, self neglect, violence, drugs and worst suicide..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 11:58   Link #152
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Happiness is better than sadness but sadness is better than emotionless. You know how sad emotionless is?

Oh wait.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 14:37   Link #153
Eragon
Still Alive

The best way to get yourself depressed for free - listening to 'Mad World' by Gary Jules(I consider it the perfect song to be heard before commmiting suicide)

*** Do Not commit suicide after listening to it. I don't your death on my conscience

**** Oh, and if you can't make out - I am exaggerating a bit.
Old 2012-12-10, 15:36   Link #154
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
The best way to get yourself depressed for free - listening to 'Mad World' by Gary Jules(I consider it the perfect song to be heard before commmiting suicide)

*** Do Not commit suicide after listening to it. I don't your death on my conscience

**** Oh, and if you can't make out - I am exaggerating a bit.
Mad World just happens to be the song on one of my favourite AMVs. Now that I think about it, that manga actually made me pretty sad. If you want to be sad, go read Gunslinger Girl, it's a really depressing manga. The anime, especially the second season, doesn't do it justice. And the saddest part isn't covered in the anime anyway. Now, about that amv...
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 01:28   Link #155
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
There is a Depression thread. Mods may want to merge this with that older thread. Last post on the Depression thread was in June, so it's still fairly "fresh".

Heh, it's funny how I'm starting to become the guy who remembers those almost extinct threads. Another reason to be sad: I'm that much of an old-timer around these parts.
Hey, I remember starting that thread! way back when... not that long ago relatively though. Boy, was that a messy time. Maybe I can start considering myself an old-timer too

Anyways, speaking of general sadness, out of curiosity, I have a question for the good folk of asuki and this seems like the right thread to post it in :

Have you ever had suicidal thoughts? I don't mean you have to be suicidal in as much as you're seriously considering committing suicide, but y'know, just a passing thought (I'm not crazy. nor do I think I'm depressed. I'm honestly wondering if this type of thing is normal). I haven't really asked anyone about this or done any research, but I don't think it would be extremely unusual. If you have, what were they like ( Of course, context is important but I won't get into the story here) ? For me it wasn't really a sad thought. The idea of jumping of a building was very much more... liberating, if I had to say. Like I could truly be free, from expectations ( of those around me, but more importantly my own expectations of myself ), from hardship, from heart break, etc. etc. Even if it was just for those few minutes or seconds after I made my decision. Ever since the first time I had that thought its recurred during times of really high stress. Of course afterwards, I sigh and remind myself just how stupid that line of thinking is, and get back to whatever it is I was doing. Still.. the thought is somewhat relaxing.

Any similar experiences? Is it different for you, or similar?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 02:06   Link #156
Kawarimi
( ゚∀(・-・) 〜(^∇^〜)
*Author

^ My thoughts on suicide?

Don't need it, or at least I haven't been put in a position where I needed it.

I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, but it's their own informed decision to make.

If they don't like their lives enough for them to want out, then it's a shame but I won't stop them by force.

It's an informed decision, emphasis on the informed, that's important.

AS' Social Thread
Gone but not forgotten.

REBUILD
Old 2012-12-11, 02:10   Link #157
Kyuu
=^^=

If/When any of you take up the Mahjong (see my link) -- you will learn from TRUE suffering. For fun!
Old 2012-12-11, 03:48   Link #158
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

*Looks at TRL's age*

Maybe there is a good reason for you to start posting here?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 06:22   Link #159
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Have you ever had suicidal thoughts? I don't mean you have to be suicidal in as much as you're seriously considering committing suicide, but y'know, just a passing thought (I'm not crazy. nor do I think I'm depressed. I'm honestly wondering if this type of thing is normal). I haven't really asked anyone about this or done any research, but I don't think it would be extremely unusual. If you have, what were they like ( Of course, context is important but I won't get into the story here)?
I know you don't mean any harm, but your post immediately rang alarm bells.

France teacher suspended for 'suicide' assignment
Quote:
Paris (Dec 10, Mon): A teacher in France has been suspended after allegedly asking pupils to write an essay from the viewpoint of a suicidal teenager, officials say.

The pupils, aged between 13 and 14, were told to imagine reasons for wanting to end their lives and describe their self-disgust.

Angry parents contacted the national education department and sent a copy of the assignment brief to a local paper. "The wording is beyond shocking," an investigating government official said.

"You have just turned 18. You have decided to end your life. Your decision seems irrevocable. In a final impetus, you decide to give the reasons for your gesture. By creating your self-profile, you will describe all the disgust you feel towards yourself. Your text will retrace several events at the origin of this feeling."

Shocked parents wrote to local newspaper La Charente Libre to express their outrage. "We are not in the habit of questioning what happens at school, but there are limits. What will be the next topic? 'How do you feel when you shoot up drugs?'"

BBC
Every suicide attempt is a cry for help and should never be ignored. If any of you even harbour the slightest hint of suicide, please talk things over with someone you trust. I'm not saying that we shouldn't post such queries online, but understand that I'm not about to discuss such matters with a total stranger without first understanding what's really going on in his mind. It wouldn't be responsible for me to do otherwise.

The editorial policy at newsrooms in my company is to always include helplines in every suicide story we run, no matter how small the article. I'll do the same here, just in case.
Old 2012-12-11, 08:07   Link #160
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ What blurs the line between nothing serious and fatal?

You know, before it actually happens.

Tags
depression, sad