AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-07, 22:28   Link #361
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Check out "visabuxx.com" with your parents (prepaid credit card funded via parental account transfers) and see if their bank is a partner in it.

It won't necessarily hide your purchases but then there's this thing called negotiation and control of your own money if you've earned it. If your parents are discouraging your hobbies completely, let me know and I'll threaten them I'm a father after all and probably older than they are.

Also be aware that even companies that claim to only accept credit cards often have no clue --- I have a debit account I've used for years with companies that "don't take debit cards" ... in other words, they can't tell the difference.

In regard to DVDPacific: they are my preferred anime source. They've always been completely competent, timely (often way ahead of time), and don't charge til shipped (they don't even pull that "authorization lock" that some companies pull). On the rare occasion, my account was "overused" -- they just email me and I have a week to recharge the account and tell them to retry.

Heh, Rightstuf actually "feels" more suspicious to me but so far they've been straightforward as well.
Old 2007-03-08, 05:13   Link #362
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

thanks guys for all of the advices
i think i"ll go and try ask suncoast if they are taking reservations or even know about its release
other than that its the internet ordering for me
but theres still two more months so anything can happen
anyone got a clue if best buy will have the special box editions??
Old 2007-03-08, 05:51   Link #363
Shin_Battousai

To add to the point about DVD Pacific, on the Madman boards, all the recommendations i've seen for us Aussies to import R1's have always been to order with them. Gotta say that those prices there are great, never seen it that low here in Australia. The closest to it is when Madman had a $10 a disc sale for a short period of time because of their 10th anniversary. Might have to consider just getting R1's from now on :P
Old 2007-03-08, 13:06   Link #364
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
thanks guys for all of the advices
i think i"ll go and try ask suncoast if they are taking reservations or even know about its release
other than that its the internet ordering for me
but theres still two more months so anything can happen
anyone got a clue if best buy will have the special box editions??
Yes, but (as evidenced by the $59.99 price tag) Best Buy is notorious for having expensive preorders and then dropping the price once it gets into stock, so if you want to get it at Best Buy, wait. I've found Best Buy's usually not the best place to get box sets or high-dollar limitied edition sets, anyway, as they don't usually end up discounting them much (pretty good for standard editions, though, if you prefer brick-and-mortar locations, like I do). It sounds strange, but if you're looking for a good offline location for this kind of purchase, you might want to check Frys, if you have one nearby. Price-wise, they're usually hovering around the average online stores (I'd expect $45-$50 for this release), but the only problem is that they're a little slow on their stock, so they don't usually preorder, and may not even have any in stock at the release date.
Old 2007-03-09, 03:17   Link #365
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Yes, but (as evidenced by the $59.99 price tag) Best Buy is notorious for having expensive preorders and then dropping the price once it gets into stock, so if you want to get it at Best Buy, wait. I've found Best Buy's usually not the best place to get box sets or high-dollar limitied edition sets, anyway, as they don't usually end up discounting them much (pretty good for standard editions, though, if you prefer brick-and-mortar locations, like I do). It sounds strange, but if you're looking for a good offline location for this kind of purchase, you might want to check Frys, if you have one nearby. Price-wise, they're usually hovering around the average online stores (I'd expect $45-$50 for this release), but the only problem is that they're a little slow on their stock, so they don't usually preorder, and may not even have any in stock at the release date.
oh ok thanks for the info
i might be able to wait until the release day and hope to see if my local best buy store will have some special edition boxes in stock
but as you said
they might not have any during release day
so i guess its kind of a gamble
but other than that i will ask my local suncoast store if they are taking pre-orders for the special edition boxes
hopefully they will have their list of upcoming titles on hand and in it somewhere lies "THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA"
(i hate it when stores dont know anything about certain releases makes you feel like your making up stuff )
but anyways thanks for the info again!!
Old 2007-03-09, 05:57   Link #366
Joojoobees

Quote:
(i hate it when stores dont know anything about certain releases makes you feel like your making up stuff
I'm always amazed at how stores don't pay attention to the merchandise that they stock. I went to several stores in advance of WoW coming out, and asked them when they would be receiving copies. The reaction I got was "World of Warcraft? What's that? I don't have any now." On the day they went on sale, I went to a store that sells computer games within an hour of their opening, and there was someone behind me in line buying the same game. I know I wasn't imagining that that was going to be a popular game. When I checked back in a few days later with two of the stores I had made inquiries of, they were sold out, and quite surprised. Why should they be surprised? Someone was calling around looking for the store that was going to have them in stock on release date. That should have been a clue that there was going to be strong demand.

This isn't a guarantee that Haruhi will sell out, but if a title has the power to pull people in to buy a DVD, it is gonna be this one.
Old 2007-03-09, 06:48   Link #367
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
I'm always amazed at how stores don't pay attention to the merchandise that they stock. I went to several stores in advance of WoW coming out, and asked them when they would be receiving copies. The reaction I got was "World of Warcraft? What's that? I don't have any now." On the day they went on sale, I went to a store that sells computer games within an hour of their opening, and there was someone behind me in line buying the same game. I know I wasn't imagining that that was going to be a popular game. When I checked back in a few days later with two of the stores I had made inquiries of, they were sold out, and quite surprised. Why should they be surprised? Someone was calling around looking for the store that was going to have them in stock on release date. That should have been a clue that there was going to be strong demand.

This isn't a guarantee that Haruhi will sell out, but if a title has the power to pull people in to buy a DVD, it is gonna be this one.
yea man i know how you feel
it feels like most stores aren"t really updated with the most current of the upcoming items that are being released
and this is especially common with most video game stores
i mean there has been so many time that i have asked for a specific game title and its release date
and all i get are blank confused stares like this
but yea i think Haruhi has a chance to even bring non-anime watchers to watch this show
but i think it will only have a much stronger impact on those who are already fans of the show

anyone really knows if Haruhi will be televised on Adult swim??
i know they were just rumors but just checking if these rumors were confirmed
Old 2007-03-09, 11:21   Link #368
zoozoc
Anime is my drug....

Quote:
that would be awesome, but i havn't heard anything. Though if they did show it, it would probably be at a super late time, like 1:00 or something.
Old 2007-03-09, 12:33   Link #369
Asrialys

The best way to spread Haruhiism would be right inbetween Toonami and Adult Swim. But if that one episode of Zatch Bell was edited for that woman pounding her breasts, they most assuredly won't show Mikuru's being fondled. However, I don't see Haruhi showing that late at night.

Anyway, Best Buy's anime stock may be a bit iffy and smaller than Suncoast's, but their non-Geneon titles are usually cheaper (based on my own observation).
Old 2007-03-09, 12:48   Link #370
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Doubt it. It's not really an Adult Swim kind of show. Besides, even if it was, as a show that's comparatively lght on action, it would just end up being eviscerated by the morons on the AS boards who hate all good anime, and I'd rather not see that (and since the bump-makers on Adult Swim love to stir things up, I would). I've pretty much avoided that place like the plague since I saw someone on there blasting it, saying it's nowhere near as good as Bleach, and getting a lot of support on it. I mean, I like Bleach, but that's just disturbing...

Now, Black Lagoon? There's a show that's good, and still mindless enough to get a broad range of support. I think it would be great for Adult Swim.
Old 2007-03-09, 20:46   Link #371
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by top right corner
???> Time will change in one week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by above picture
I want onigiri and korokke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by source code
<!-- Some of them desire the original japanese OP/EDs untouched -->
<!-- They don't want english credits? -->
<!-- It is difficult to please everyone at the same time -->
<!-- What about multi-angle video? -->
<!-- Done improperly it will look ugly, let's devote the full stream to one video -->
<!-- How about putting the Japanese-language OP/ED sequence on the special edition DVDs? -->
<!-- So regular edition will have english-translated OP/EDs, and the special edition will have the original Japanese-language OP/EDs left as-is? -->
<!-- An excellent compromise. -->
<!-- Let us hope they are happy -->
<!-- I wonder if anyone reads these messages? -->
<!-- Are you packed yet? -->
I suppose they mean the special DVD with the broadcast order will remain untouched except for subtitles.

And yes, some people still do read those messages.
Old 2007-03-09, 22:19   Link #372
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
<!-- How about putting the Japanese-language OP/ED sequence on the special edition DVDs? -->
<!-- So regular edition will have english-translated OP/EDs, and the special edition will have the original Japanese-language OP/EDs left as-is? -->
<!-- An excellent compromise. -->
Does this mean the art and music stay as-is on the regular discs, but they translate the TEXT, or are they talking about new music? ( Please don't say yes to this)
Old 2007-03-09, 22:30   Link #373
QBnoYouko
Twilight Breaker

Send a message via MSN to QBnoYouko
I'm pretty sure it's just the text that's changed. I don't really see why anyone would complain about them though. I mean, the ED sequence for Hare Hare Yukai has the text outside the images and everything.
Old 2007-03-09, 22:54   Link #374
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Does this mean the art and music stay as-is on the regular discs, but they translate the TEXT, or are they talking about new music? ( Please don't say yes to this)
Well, yes to the first part. They're talking about whether or not to leave the opening and ending credits in the original Japanese. It seems they decided that the regular DVDs (the ones with the dubs) will have English credits. The extra DVDs (with broadcast order) that come with Special Editions 2-4 will remain in their original state +subtitles.
Old 2007-03-10, 02:39   Link #375
Jeiku

First off, as for the multi-angle feature being ugly, it really wouldn't; I know for an example that the Fullmetal Alchemist DVD releases did well with having English credits accompany the English dub, and the Japanese credits with the original Japanese, so no it wouldn't have been a mess at all. Secondly... I don't see why it matters. I like having credits translated so I know who is behind what, and having Japanese-only credits is one of the most useless things I can think of on an English DVD release. Plus, I expect textless versions of both songs would appear in the bonus features either way. Have people actually complained about this? Sheesh.
Old 2007-03-10, 04:20   Link #376
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku View Post
Have people actually complained about this?
One thing I have learned in my years is that the answer to that question is always "Yes," no matter the context.
Old 2007-03-10, 09:42   Link #377
LumpOfCole
I work with computers.

Send a message via AIM to LumpOfCole
If I were an artist and someone took my work abroad to a foreign nation, when they finally got to the 'credits' part, I would care much more about them translating the credits so they knew my name versus 'preserving' the exactness of how I did the credits. I'm sure the placement of said credits was out of obligation versus a stroke of the artists' pen. Let them translate them. Jeesh.
Old 2007-03-10, 11:39   Link #378
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku View Post
Have people actually complained about this? Sheesh.
Yeah, it sounds so dumb, it almost sounds like a manufactured controversy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
One thing I have learned in my years is that the answer to that question is always "Yes," no matter the context.
LOL. And I thought I was cynical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpOfCole View Post
If I were an artist and someone took my work abroad to a foreign nation, when they finally got to the 'credits' part, I would care much more about them translating the credits so they knew my name
I agree. BTW, Lump, I love your avatar! X 2!
Old 2007-03-10, 18:46   Link #379
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
according to the new hidden messages
there will be clean versions of OP and ED in the special editions
Old 2007-03-11, 02:40   Link #380
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
according to the new hidden messages
there will be clean versions of OP and ED in the special editions
What do you mean by "clean?" If you read the few messages just before yours, you'd see that this was already mentioned and sort of cleared up. The OP and ED in the special edition DVDs (sub-only broadcast order) will retain their original Japanese credits.
Closed Thread