Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-07, 04:49   Link #1681
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Spoiler for episode 47:
What piece of music did they use for both scenes?
Old 2010-03-07, 04:51   Link #1682
Blaat

I'm going to say 'generic tracks' (e.g. tracks we've heard plenty of times before)
Old 2010-03-07, 06:00   Link #1683
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I'm going to say 'generic tracks' (e.g. tracks we've heard plenty of times before)
...Well, they did the same in Z, so it's not all that surprising, but you'd think they'd try and do something special for one of the most famous scenes in the show... Ah well, at least they didn't use the Super Dragon Soul-song, which I still think would have been completely inappropriate for this particular moment.
Old 2010-03-07, 08:52   Link #1684
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Now i'm just wondering what piece they used. Hmmm.
Old 2010-03-07, 12:38   Link #1685
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Now i'm just wondering what piece they used. Hmmm.
They played a bit from "22. The Curtain Rises On The Battle". But it happened towards the ending so there wasn't really time to introduce another track.

It will be fun to see what they use during the fight next episode. If I remember correctly, the original DBZ busted out a track from old Dragonball, but I'm sure Kai's score can do better.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 15:10   Link #1686
Steel Guardian

Spoiler:
Steel Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 18:54   Link #1687
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I thought the SSJ transformation scene was alright. They could have selected a better piece of music, or better yet make a new piece just for that scene, but I didn't have a problem with it. I'm pretty sure we're going to get a plethora of new tracks once we reach the Androids/Cell arc.
Old 2010-03-07, 20:11   Link #1688
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep 47:
Old 2010-03-08, 00:35   Link #1689
Alchemist007
*Author

The moment of transformation, I'm glad they got the voice better this time, I always hated the original one XD

Also love what he said in the preview and the more calm-ish/fast voice he said it with

"I won't forgive you, bastard. You killed my precious friends." Just realized it totally reminded me of Killer Bee from Naruto XD
Old 2010-03-08, 02:10   Link #1690
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

I just watched this episode and it was pretty good. After the episode, I went back to re-watch the English dubbed version and I must say, one thing that Funimation got right was their version of BGM playing as Goku transformed. Maybe being nostalgic has something to do with it but so far I actually like most of Funimations BGM's except for a select few in Kai.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 03:39   Link #1691
Meloria

One thing I remember the Funimation soundtrack does is create a unique atmosphere in DBZ, some tracks create a little more wierdness and mystery (especially during the Androids arc) - though this could just be nostalgia. I've never heard the original DBZ soundtrack but Kai does have its own 'feel' - very different from the DBZ dub, possibly more adventurous than mystical?

Somewhere in this thread (IIRC) during the Picollo & Nail scene, I think someone posted a link to that very scene in the dub and the music there is probably a good example. I have no idea of the soundtrack names, so I can't really be specific.

I don't really prefer either - mostly unsure.
Meloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 04:19   Link #1692
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
I've never heard the original DBZ soundtrack but Kai does have its own 'feel' - very different from the DBZ dub, possibly more adventurous than mystical?
Kai's sound track reminds me of the original dragon ball z japanese sound track.

some people will probably hate me for saying this, but I think funimations/oceans original dub was probably the most enjoyable rendition of dragon ball z I saw. The edits may have taken a certain amount of 3 dimensionality to the show. I think the selection of music along with the amount it did cut down the actual footage by actually made the show seem more action packed and epic.

The music made the show seem more modern as well. I think its easy to forget Dragon Ball Z came out in 1989. This is a 20 year anniversary cut. Funimation popularized Dragon Ball Z in 1998, I don't think it would have succeeded with the generation that grew up watching power rnagers if it weren't for some of those edits.
Old 2010-03-08, 07:03   Link #1693
Alchemist007
*Author

"Blast you into the next dimension!"
Old 2010-03-08, 08:08   Link #1694
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I thought the SSJ transformation scene was alright. They could have selected a better piece of music, or better yet make a new piece just for that scene, but I didn't have a problem with it. I'm pretty sure we're going to get a plethora of new tracks once we reach the Androids/Cell arc.
Yeah that's exactly how i feel about it. The piece of music did the job, though a new piece would have been just as good. Regarding new music for the next few arcs, i can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I just watched this episode and it was pretty good. After the episode, I went back to re-watch the English dubbed version and I must say, one thing that Funimation got right was their version of BGM playing as Goku transformed. Maybe being nostalgic has something to do with it but so far I actually like most of Funimations BGM's except for a select few in Kai.
Bruce Faulconer, the composer for Funi's dub seriously did a damn good score, and even still i believe that. I just enjoy each version of the show differently, and that goes for the scores.
Old 2010-03-08, 08:50   Link #1695
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
The music made the show seem more modern as well. I think its easy to forget Dragon Ball Z came out in 1989. This is a 20 year anniversary cut. Funimation popularized Dragon Ball Z in 1998, I don't think it would have succeeded with the generation that grew up watching power rnagers if it weren't for some of those edits.
Seriously? It wasn't until 1998 that DBZ was popular with the English speaking world? :O I grew up watching Dragon Ball Z back in 1995, it was one of the first major children blockbusters around these parts.

Last edited by Dextro; 2010-03-08 at 09:16.
Dextro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 17:43   Link #1696
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Goku is finally a super saiyan to kick Freeza's ass.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 21:56   Link #1697
Vicious108

A fanmade rendition of Kai's transformation scene I came across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVTIn8MvbQ

Would've been pretty cool if it had been like that.

Though it still wasn't bad. And as whole the episode itself was still great.

The transformation itself isn't the best part of SSJ Goku vs Freeza anyways.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 23:50   Link #1698
DeX-kun

See, this song really should have been used for Goku's transformation and I wouldn't have said anything about it They could have also ended episode 47 by just continuing to play this song and it would have felt epic but that's just how I feel

Note: This is the same song that's in Endless Twilight's link above, although the complete version of it

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-03-09, 01:08   Link #1699
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm just not sure about whether it would have been better. Seems a little too upbeat for the scene. Definitely an epic scene, but it's also kind of chilling since Goku is snapping from anger. Think it really worked well coming out of the healing chamber.
Old 2010-03-09, 01:17   Link #1700
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm just not sure about whether it would have been better. Seems a little too upbeat for the scene. Definitely an epic scene, but it's also kind of chilling since Goku is snapping from anger. Think it really worked well coming out of the healing chamber.
Thinking about it carefully, I'd say you're right. Can't ignore the death of Krillin right before that. Still, I would have liked a different theme than what they played. I can't wait for the fight to begin next week. I must admit, that song would have probably got me hyped after his transformation

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"