AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-06, 23:23   Link #2041
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Nanoha's tactics in the last fight against Fate? Honestly speaking, I didn't see any tactics (Nanoha simply outlasts Fate), but assuming Nanoha did use tactics (not just bluffing XD), the tactics would be simply stayed alive and waited until Fate runs out of energy...Nanoha should know she has a pretty large pool of magic...but she still couldn't use too many tricks or advanced move since she is a newbie...so get some distance away from Fate, fight properly, don't try any cool move until Fate runs out of magic power, then tries to bind Fate and give her the SLB would be the way to go
Well yeah, Nanoha's tactics consist mostly on tiring Fate but at least it was a very cool(if a bit unpractical) strategy to use divine buster as a set up for Starlight Breaker, Fate put up so much effort in blocking DB that she gets exahusted enough to lost sight of Nanoha and not realizing about SLB until it's too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
I'm kinda interested in seeing other writers take on the Nanohaverse. I mean, if Gundam can split into different universes that aren't helmed under Tomino, who knows what the Nanoha franchise can do?
I thinked the same some time ago(albeit more jokingly), that "Nanoha" becomes analogous to a franchise name and we see alternate universes with entirely new stories or characters only connected by the series name and some concepts(like magical devices, interdimensional organizations and such ...and, of course, some good "mahou shoujo" from time to time), only time will tell if the franchise cash enough on the audience's taste to allow that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Right now, Tsuzuki's a mixed bag for me.
Oh belive me, i know of what you talk, but for now, i have a more optimistic view(still quite sceptic but a lot less grim than a couple of days ago), i'm ready to hope the worst but the guy demonstrates to be able to overcome expectatives(and it's started getting fame for being kind of a troll with the fanbase xDU) so at least i'm able now to give him the benefit of the doubt.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-12-06, 23:30   Link #2042
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
The tactics were fairly simple, but ingenious. Nanoha knew Fate had more training and a larger mana pool to pull from, so how could she have won? Simple; she developed a spell that would take all the spent mana in the air and fired in one large shot.

So the goal was to get Fate to use up as much magic as possible to both make Fate unable to fully block it, and to make the SLB as powerful as possible. Since the spell relies mostly on spent mana, Nanoha could mostly exhaust her pool trying to get Fate to use up hers. The sheer size made dodging impossible.
Old 2010-12-07, 00:28   Link #2043
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Yuuno HAS tanked an SLB, IIRC. The only times his barrier has been broken is by an SLB with a then-absent piercing capability (implying he's tanked regular ones before) and again when trying and failing to contain Nanoha, Fate, AND Hayate's ultimate attacks.
yeah, huh, no.

That wasn't a shield-like barrier, but a spacial barrier. It's not used for tanking, but for separating, kinda like a seal.

Piercing such a barrier isn't that hard either- what's impressive is that Nanoha completely destroyed it instead of just destroying the part her SLB touched (like she did against Vita's barrier in ep 2).

this has no relationship to 'tanking' whatsoever.
Old 2010-12-07, 14:10   Link #2044
Laevatein

My comment about what "wisdom and tactics" amounted to wasn't meant to be all that serious. I was just amused by Nanoha's line, "Here's some wisdom and tactics that I came up with", as she prepares to fire Starlight Breaker.
Old 2010-12-07, 14:58   Link #2045
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
True. My only gripe with the final battle...Is I wish Nanoha took a little more damage. Whether it be clothing damage or physical damage. She was just so...un-phased by Phalanx.
Incidentally, chapter 13 of the movie manga (I fucking love it) just got translated and actually does give an explanation for this.

I can't promise you'll accept the explanation, but it's an explanation nontheless.
Old 2010-12-07, 15:16   Link #2046
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Incidentally, chapter 13 of the movie manga (I fucking love it) just got translated and actually does give an explanation for this.

I can't promise you'll accept the explanation, but it's an explanation nontheless.
That the one with STB? Anyways, she took a ton of damage in the movie manga, although it never seemed to slow her down...

But in the movie itself, that's not really the case. She blocked phalanx with a single shield while being binded by both hands and wasn't out of breath in the slightest. Fate actually disarmed one of her hands from the bind to block Nanoha's Divine Buster, and it took a heck of a lot more from her in order to block it.

They're two different continuities. Movie manga did it best.

Edit: Just read the chapter. So RH blocked all the damage for Nanoha without her having to control the shield herself, eh? Amusing.

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-12-07 at 15:35.
Old 2010-12-07, 15:24   Link #2047
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
And the angrier Fate gets, the more excited Nanoha becomes
... Actually, Nanoha looks less excited and more freakishly calm in that image...

Run, Fate! It's not too late! You still have time!
Old 2010-12-07, 15:32   Link #2048
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

To me it looks almost like a calmly evil grin xD

Blitz Rush Fate, BLITZ RUSH! AS FAR AS YOU CAN!!!

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-12-07, 15:42   Link #2049
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Huh, so she cooled Fate's head long before Teana, eh?
Old 2010-12-07, 15:45   Link #2050
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

It's a classic rapeface. Saved.
Old 2010-12-07, 15:53   Link #2051
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post

Run, Fate! It's not too late! You still have time!
It's the yandere smile.
Old 2010-12-07, 16:04   Link #2052
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Edit: Just read the chapter. So RH blocked all the damage for Nanoha without her having to control the shield herself, eh? Amusing.
Seems like RH isn't as good at casting as Nanoha is though. It was implied (at least to me) that it was because RH was handling the shield that some of the shots got through to Nanoha (and HOW, Fate's attack magic took physical chunks out of Nanoha).

Nanoha didn't even bother with a Divine Buster in the movie manga iteration. Straight into Bind=>SLB

This interpretation works too as far as I'm concerned. So far the movie manga and tv anime sequences both make more sense to me than the movie version.
Old 2010-12-07, 16:09   Link #2053
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Seems like RH isn't as good at casting as Nanoha is though. It was implied (at least to me) that it was because RH was handling the shield that some of the shots got through to Nanoha (and HOW, Fate's attack magic took physical chunks out of Nanoha).
I couldn't tell what they were trying to imply. "When she was unguarded" how was she unguarded when RH was guarding her? All you do is place the shield in front of you, it doesn't require any movement. At least not to guard against an attack that's entirely frontal.

Quote:
This interpretation works too as far as I'm concerned. So far the movie manga and tv anime sequences both make more sense to me than the movie version.
What makes the t.v. sequence any different than the movie sequence? Both versions she blocked a Phalanx while being binded and taking no damage.

The one thing the movie had over the series which made more sense...Is that Nanoha binded Fate before firing Divine Buster, so she couldn't dodge it. In the anime, she could of dodged it but chose to tank it instead. Then again, she probably wasn't expecting Nanoha to still have so much strength left after being hit with her strongest attack.
Old 2010-12-07, 16:20   Link #2054
ChronoReverse

Quote:
The one thing the movie had over the series which made more sense...Is that Nanoha binded Fate before firing Divine Buster, so she couldn't dodge it. In the anime, she could of dodged it but chose to tank it instead. Then again, she probably wasn't expecting Nanoha to still have so much strength left after being hit with her strongest attack.
That's what I felt was disjointed about the movie sequence.

Every time we're shown a set of binds, they are unraveled fairly quickly. The point is that they buy just enough time to charge up and land a barrage class attack (which don't take too long to charge but just enough that they're quite easily evaded or even interrupted otherwise)

The TV anime sequence had Nanoha interrupt Fate's attack mid-sequence when Fate was tired from the initial barrage and was building up for the final SPARK with Divine Buster. This gave a reason why Fate didn't have enough time to do anything but guard since she had barely finished her attack. It also provides a reason why Nanoha didn't have too much damage besides the electrical sparking since Fate never finished the attack.

Finally surprise Bind=>SLB.

But movie Fate makes no further attempt to break her binds after eating the Divine Buster. There's no real defense against something of SLB's magnitude but she still tries to block it with an elaborate multi-shield affair. Even if she might not have made it in time, a 10% chance (breaking binds... it should be more likely than that but I'm making a point) is still better than 0% (trying to block Starlight Breaker).

Nanoha has demonstrated breaking a bind while under attack. There's no reason Fate couldn't have done the same except for Enforced Plot Hijinks.
Old 2010-12-07, 19:15   Link #2055
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
That's what I felt was disjointed about the movie sequence.

The TV anime sequence had Nanoha interrupt Fate's attack mid-sequence when Fate was tired from the initial barrage and was building up for the final SPARK with Divine Buster. This gave a reason why Fate didn't have enough time to do anything but guard since she had barely finished her attack. It also provides a reason why Nanoha didn't have too much damage besides the electrical sparking since Fate never finished the attack.
How Nanoha was able to charge Divine Buster so quickly after being hit with such a large barrage of attacks...isn't any better in my books. Fate's final spark attack should have definitely pierced Nanoha's barrier in the movie, though. Fate was breaking Nanoha's barriers with relative ease throughout the movie, yet couldn't do it with her ultimate attack.

Quote:
But movie Fate makes no further attempt to break her binds after eating the Divine Buster. There's no real defense against something of SLB's magnitude but she still tries to block it with an elaborate multi-shield affair. Even if she might not have made it in time, a 10% chance (breaking binds... it should be more likely than that but I'm making a point) is still better than 0% (trying to block Starlight Breaker).
Fate broke one of the binds before Divine Buster was even shot, and used her spare hand to block it. As for why she never broke her second bind right after DB was finished...Not sure. Shock, maybe.

Well, I didn't like how either of them portrayed it.
Old 2010-12-07, 19:36   Link #2056
ChronoReverse

Quote:
How Nanoha was able to charge Divine Buster so quickly after being hit with such a large barrage of attacks...isn't any better in my books.
Any reason why you think that? Remember in the beginning of A's? Nanoha charged up a Divine Buster in seconds. IIRC, it went: Vita swings, Flash Move, "Listen to what I say!", Divine Buster

The beam misses of course because that short amount of time to charge up is enough for Vita to respond but only barely.

Quote:
Fate's final spark attack should have definitely pierced Nanoha's barrier in the movie, though. Fate was breaking Nanoha's barriers with relative ease throughout the movie, yet couldn't do it with her ultimate attack.
Yup, bugs me too. Actually what REALLY bugged me was where Nanoha blocked BARDICHE with a shield but somehow a single random energy bullet from Fate shatters the shield completely. And on a whim too since Fate suddenly decided to do it when she noticed Nanoha's bullet from behind. Apparently all the effort trying to penetrate the shield before that was just tomfoolery. In the TV anime, the spark never actually hits Nanoha which resolves the problem.

Quote:
Fate broke one of the binds before Divine Buster was even shot, and used her spare hand to block it. As for why she never broke her second bind right after DB was finished...Not sure. Shock, maybe.
Exactly. It doesn't take long to break binds which is why it was ridiculous that Fate gave up breaking the remainder entirely.

That's why I prefer the way Fate was only hit because her attack was squashed by Nanoha's, leaving no time for Fate to properly escape (speed requires drawing magic away from protection, spelled out in the latest chapter but implied in the past).

Last edited by ChronoReverse; 2010-12-07 at 19:57.
Old 2010-12-07, 20:00   Link #2057
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Any reason why you think that? Remember in the beginning of A's? Nanoha charged up a Divine Buster in seconds.

The beam misses of course because that short amount of time to charge up is enough for Vita to respond.
I just think Nanoha should be a little slowed down by such an attack. It's got to take effort to guard against a thousand energy bullets.

Quote:
Yup, bugs me too. Actually what REALLY bugged me was where Nanoha blocked BARDICHE with a shield but somehow a single random energy bullet from Fate shatters the shield completely. And on a whim too since Fate suddenly decided to do it when she noticed Nanoha's bullet from behind. Apparently all the effort trying to penetrate the shield before that was just tomfoolery.
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it was probably my favorite scene in the final battle. STB and Phalanx are cool, but it's essentially just beamspam. Barrier breaking with a single hand energy bomb (or something like that?) and then dodging the projectile heading towards her while not even looking at it. That was cool.

Quote:
Exactly. It doesn't take long to break binds which is why it was ridiculous that Fate gave up breaking the remainder entirely.
I don't know. Just one of those things in order to advance the plot, I guess.
Quote:
That's why I prefer the way Fate was only hit because her attack was squashed by Nanoha's, leaving no time for Fate to properly escape (speed requires drawing magic away from protection, spelled out in the latest chapter but implied in the past).
Now that you bring it up. That's another thing I didn't like with S1. The strongest part of Fate's attack looked miniscule(and that's putting it lightly) in comparison to Nanoha's DB.

In terms of execution, the movie manga was definitely best. The movie really upped the cool factor because of the nice animation and aerial battles, though.

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-12-07 at 20:15.
Old 2010-12-07, 20:00   Link #2058
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"She blocked my attack, I can..."

Oops.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-07, 20:36   Link #2059
ChronoReverse

Quote:
I just think Nanoha should be a little slowed down by such an attack. It's got to take effort to guard against a thousand energy bullets.
In the movie version, 100% agree. Nanoha had fought out a long grueling battle where she had been wasting energy.

In the TV anime, it was only a short but vicious clash. Considering Nanoha's specialization is heavy shielding, her tanking half of Fate's special attack wasn't unconvincing to me.

Quote:
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it was probably my favorite scene in the final battle. STB and Phalanx are cool, but it's essentially just beamspam. Barrier breaking with a single hand energy bomb (or something like that?) and then dodging the projectile heading towards her while not even looking at it. That was cool.
True enough, but I found the TV anime version where the same sequence resulted in FLASH IMPACT even cooler. It also demonstrated more "wisdom and tactics" than movie Nanoha did.

Quote:
Now that you bring it up. That's another thing I didn't like with S1. The strongest part of Fate's attack looked miniscule(and that's putting it lightly) in comparison to Nanoha's DB.

In terms of execution, the movie manga was definitely best. The movie really upped the cool factor because of the nice animation and aerial battles, though.
100% agree here too.
Old 2010-12-07, 20:49   Link #2060
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
In the TV anime, it was only a short but vicious clash. Considering Nanoha's specialization is heavy shielding, her tanking half of Fate's special attack wasn't unconvincing to me.

I guess...

Quote:
True enough, but I found the TV anime version where the same sequence resulted in FLASH IMPACT even cooler. It also demonstrated more "wisdom and tactics" than movie Nanoha did.

I must have a thing for barrier breaking. Demonstrated how Fate was more experienced than Nanoha, too.

Albeit, has been years since I've watched the original. I remember character personalities like it was yesterday, but I'm a bit hazy on that final battle.