Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-09-20, 14:32   Link #641
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeReality View Post
Another thing I find needs some change - girls with incredibly low weights, and it's extremely prevalent. I understand that it is meant to make the female protagonists attractive, but the writers could really create a more diverse cast.
Um, define "incredibly low weights"? Actually, maybe you shouldn't because you'll just end up looking even less credible.
Old 2013-09-20, 14:51   Link #642
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But, as with all such cases, it was made worse by the fact that game players were going OMG LOOK AT ALL THE SPOILERS IN THAT OP. Source readers/viewers always tend to over-estimate the amount that other people will pay attention to and notice the little things (or even big things) that are obvious to them since they know the source, and it's only when it's pointed out that unexposed people now give it a second look now that they know it's suspicious. (Granted that perhaps in this case it was a bit more blatant than others, but I still wish source readers/viewers would keep their mouths shut in these sorts of cases.)
In this case it was plainly bad, even if they made it worse it was bad to begin with.
I watched the anime before playing the game and back at the time I didn't participate to the discussions of the episodes in this or any other forum so I wasn't affected by any comments of any kind, but I still found the blatant spoilers of that OP absolutely stupid.

That being said I can't really think of something as blatantly spoilerific as this one case.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 15:41   Link #643
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Um, define "incredibly low weights"? Actually, maybe you shouldn't because you'll just end up looking even less credible.
Based on the released stats, Clannad's five route girls are a bit underweight (BMIs range from 17.9-18.5), though I wouldn't say any of them have incredibly low weights.

Those kind of stats aren't all that uncommon in anime, though there's also cases like K-On! where the weights are entirely realistic (46kg-54kg/101-119lbs, because Japanese girls are tiny).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 15:46   Link #644
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Criticisms of character height/weight are probably based on a failure to account for how most anime characters are Japanese.

Yes, many of us live in countries that have significant obesity problems throughout the population, so having pretty much every single character (even just background extras) look thin-to-normal weight can come across as odd... until the viewer reminds himself/herself that, again, this anime is (probably) portraying Japan. I don't think that Japan has the sort of weight issues that America and Canada do.
Old 2013-09-20, 16:09   Link #645
RobotCat
In a Box

I think they don't take into consideration the weight of their 'assets' when they make up the character weights =P

Anyways, one game where the weights were blatantly and laughably off was the Soul Calibur series. For example, in Soul Calibur I-IV Nightmare was weighed at 212 lbs, which is ludicrous considering his size and mass. SCV finally gave him a more realistic weight of 336 lbs.

Siegfried was only 110 lbs in Soul Calibur IV. This is a guy who's pretty much completely made of muscle and can wear full plate and swing a gigantic sword. In SCV he was corrected to 154 lbs.

Ivy is 5'10'' but is only 128 lbs, which is below the minimum weight for her recommended height (135 lbs). Not to mention she has a very fully figure with a decent amount of muscle so she'd actually be closer to the top end of her weight range. Taki has the same issue, she's only 117 pounds which is way under her recommended weight range for her height. Not to mention like Ivy she has very large assets and should be full of muscle. If she looked like her weight she'd be stick thin.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 18:05   Link #646
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

No one really knows what 'lbs' are, so we can't blame them.
They did the best they could.
Spoiler for ...:
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 19:10   Link #647
EscapeReality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You just contradicted yourself - not sure what the point of your post was. I agree that "incredibly" was an overstatement on my part, but it is common for harem genres to be underweight or borderline underweight. Rewrite (not an anime, but along those lines), for example, has female leads having BMIs between 17.5 to 18.5. Kanon has them all around 17.5. That's around the bottom 5th to 20th percentile for 17-year-old females. These statistics are meant for the American population, so I'm not sure if they are meant for the Japanese as well.

Edit:
The average height of 16-year-old Japanese females in 2002 was 157.7 cm and the average weight was 53.3 kg. This comes out to a BMI of about 21. I don't think the creators based their characters on the body parameters of real average people, considering all their heroines (in certain anime) have BMIs much lower than the average.

Last edited by EscapeReality; 2013-09-20 at 19:37.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 19:32   Link #648
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Based on the released stats, Clannad's five route girls are a bit underweight (BMIs range from 17.9-18.5), though I wouldn't say any of them have incredibly low weights.
Lol, damn them anorexic measurements. It makes about as much sense as anime age-- then again anime is also not known for its accurate depiction of human physiology. IIRC they were on the short end too. Though Nagisa is fine, and maybe Kyou too. It's those more voltoptrous girls that makes it just really strange.

I dunno, Kotomi is too thick to be 106 lbs. And of course Tomoyo's really thick on her lower end and to weigh even less-- that's just odd. They should have just been like Chun Li and kept her weight a secret.

And then Ayu is like supposedly like 1 inch shorter than Nagisa. Dang, Kanon needed "not draw to scale"

Then again, the anime adaptations tended to make their female characters, umm, more curvier.

On the other hand, compare this to Mikasa from Titan whose weight does seem to coincide with her proportions.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 19:54   Link #649
erika4dsl

Enormous constantly in your face boobs. I don't mind fanservice if it's kept to a minimum and doesn't distract from the story.

Tsunderes. Annoying.
erika4dsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 20:07   Link #650
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
On the other hand, compare this to Mikasa from Titan whose weight does seem to coincide with her proportions.
Actually there were many discussions about how she weighs more than her appearance would suggest. There was even one who posted data and pictures of Olympian athletes for comparison and the body builder woman weighs less while being taller.

Old 2013-09-20, 21:08   Link #651
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeReality View Post
You just contradicted yourself - not sure what the point of your post was. I agree that "incredibly" was an overstatement on my part, but it is common for harem genres to be underweight or borderline underweight. Rewrite (not an anime, but along those lines), for example, has female leads having BMIs between 17.5 to 18.5. Kanon has them all around 17.5. That's around the bottom 5th to 20th percentile for 17-year-old females. These statistics are meant for the American population, so I'm not sure if they are meant for the Japanese as well.
I do recall reading that the Japanese are way more likely to be underweight than Americans so that's likely to throw the percentiles a bit.

Quote:
Edit:
The average height of 16-year-old Japanese females in 2002 was 157.7 cm and the average weight was 53.3 kg. This comes out to a BMI of about 21. I don't think the creators based their characters on the body parameters of real average people, considering all their heroines (in certain anime) have BMIs much lower than the average.
[/QUOTE]

The impression I've gotten is that there's actually quite a lot of Japanese girls who are in the 17.5 to 18.5 range. They wouldn't have the sort of figures they do in the show though - like Archon points out, someone as... "huggable" as Kotomi is not going to be an 18.5.

(Random aside: I can actually think of at least one example of a male character from a harem show having that sort of light body weight too - Jin, Sorata's ladykiller neighbor in Sakurasou no pet na Kanojo.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Lol, damn them anorexic measurements.
In Clannad's case, none of them are that light.

Quote:
It makes about as much sense as anime age-- then again anime is also not known for its accurate depiction of human physiology. IIRC they were on the short end too. Though Nagisa is fine, and maybe Kyou too. It's those more voltoptrous girls that makes it just really strange.

I dunno, Kotomi is too thick to be 106 lbs. And of course Tomoyo's really thick on her lower end and to weigh even less-- that's just odd. They should have just been like Chun Li and kept her weight a secret.
While I agree the given weights are too low, I've never had a problem with the height though, those heights are pretty normal for Japan. Nor the... "other measurements" relative to the visuals. I once tried to guess one of my girlfriend's three sizes by thinking which Clannad character(s) she was closest to build wise and referencing their specifications. She got ticked off with me but eventually admitted that I pretty much nailed it.

Quote:
And then Ayu is like supposedly like 1 inch shorter than Nagisa. Dang, Kanon needed "not draw to scale"
IMO the only really truly short Key girl is Kud from Little Busters at 145cm (coincidentally, the real life height of Madoka seiyuu Yuuki Aoi).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 14:55   Link #652
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I must admit that I always tend to perceive the female anime characters taller than what they are by canon. I often get surprised when I read their supposed height thinking "what? Is she that short?"

This is because in my everyday experience girls that are that short tend to have a larger girth in proportion.
Two of my classmates never grew past the 150 cm or so in high school, but their shoulder and hip widths weren't that different from those that were 170 cm tall, and it's not like they were overweight or anything.

Old 2013-09-21, 18:02   Link #653
scineram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
This is because in my everyday experience girls that are that short tend to have a larger girth in proportion.
Two of my classmates never grew past the 150 cm or so in high school, but their shoulder and hip widths weren't that different from those that were 170 cm tall, and it's not like they were overweight or anything.
Those babies need to pop out somewhere even if you are short.
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 01:52   Link #654
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I
The impression I've gotten is that there's actually quite a lot of Japanese girls who are in the 17.5 to 18.5 range. They wouldn't have the sort of figures they do in the show though - like Archon points out, someone as... "huggable" as Kotomi is not going to be an 18.5.
Well at least Mai from Kanon has measurements that match her appearance. She seems to be a pretty big girl. And umm, I just felt like bringing her up.

Quote:
While I agree the given weights are too low, I've never had a problem with the height though, those heights are pretty normal for Japan. Nor the... "other measurements" relative to the visuals. I once tried to guess one of my girlfriend's three sizes by thinking which Clannad character(s) she was closest to build wise and referencing their specifications. She got ticked off with me but eventually admitted that I pretty much nailed it.
Lol surprised nothing got tossed at you.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 00:28   Link #655
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What 0utf0xZer0 said .. I don't need to repeat him. Anime characters are somewhat stylized and idealized but they aren't really that unusual. Frankly, it is kind of disturbing to walk into a modern high school classroom in the US any more, the obesity factors are so bad. It is quite the contrast when a class of Japanese students visit (male or female). The high school in my area gets several visits a year so there's a fair sample even just for anecdotal observation.

Go back just a couple of decades and the statistical curve of an average US high school class is far less problematic.
Old 2013-09-23, 01:03   Link #656
Darthtabby

On a related note, anime girls generally seem to be really thin. I remember one girl in Amagami SS was supposed to be kind of on the chubby side but a lot of the time it wasn't really very obvious visually even when she was next to the other girls. And considering how much she liked to eat I don't think her worries about her weight were supposed to be purely her imagination. Seriously, would it have been that hard to make her look a little plump and still be cute?
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 03:39   Link #657
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, sometime I am confusing about Old Chinese-style Litterature and Anime: Beauty is defined. Make people go "wow!", but never make them love.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-19, 20:17   Link #658
Seitsuki
Onee!

Apparently harem is now the biggest tag in this forum.

God. Fucking. Damn.
Old 2014-01-19, 21:36   Link #659
leokiko

Tsunderes annoy the shit outta me. Kinda wish they would all die in a fire.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-19, 21:44   Link #660
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

The weight of anime girls never bothered me too much. I mean...it's drawings. It's not like it's real.

However, it's still nice to see a real figure being repped, such as this season's Sonico.