AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-07-14, 22:20   Link #1
sb075

Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP) Game Discussion

VC 2 has been announced.

Spoiler for the scan:

Why PSP...
sb075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 22:24   Link #2
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

That looks like the Federation! Score!

And the Valkyria looks demonic!

As for the PSP... Valkyria on the go will be dangerous for my paying attention anywhere to anything...
Old 2009-07-14, 22:28   Link #3
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb075 View Post
VC 2 has been announced.

Spoiler for the scan:

Why PSP...
OH. EM. GEE.

I knew this would happen eventually, and look how our faith is rewarded, folks. Even if it's on the PSP, it's still gonna be awesome.

I mean, a loli-Valkyria? Sounds like a winning combination if I ever heard of one.

And the protagonist (at least I'm guessing this guy is the protagonist) looks like Renji Abara? Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 23:21   Link #4
kalbron

Wait, what? PSP? And where the heck is that country situated? It's got the Gallian lake going and all... wait... that is Gallia! And the Empire's attacking them again? Two years later from the last game? And is that a solid lance whip?

Huh?

Please don't tell me they let loose the anime writers on this thing...
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 23:23   Link #5
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb075 View Post
Why PSP...
Because Sega have used up their quota of awesome for the next 10 years, I'm afraid. Valkyria is going on the pile of games they're going to slowly destroy until the fans cry with Shining Force and the like.

Honestly, a school adventure? Suitably generic character designs? A handheld? You call this a proper sequel?

Screw it, I don't know why I even bothered getting excited about a second game. If this is what they're going to do I'd rather they kept it as an awesome one-off title.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 23:27   Link #6
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Seems like they're keeping some of the same principles of the battle.

I'd do the names, but I'm pretty lazy right now since I need to do some debinding work son.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 23:28   Link #7
kalbron

Well... considering that said school is a fricken star fort I can somewhat understand it being involved, as it could be some sort of military college that Gallia made after the 1935 war ended but... not them running around in school uniform.
Old 2009-07-14, 23:44   Link #8
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Spoiler for Names of VC2 characters:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 00:49   Link #9
sb075

according to the interview

Spoiler:
sb075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 00:59   Link #10
kalbron

Except... that makes no sense. If in your currently established market doesn't have a PSP and has no intention of obtaining a PSP... well, there goes that section of purchasers. And since VC is such a niche title they really should be doing everything they can to consolidate what they already have.

Not to mention that if the PSP game doesn't sell well there won't be any further VC. Why make a third game if the second bombs?
Old 2009-07-15, 01:54   Link #11
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Except... that makes no sense. If in your currently established market doesn't have a PSP and has no intention of obtaining a PSP... well, there goes that section of purchasers. And since VC is such a niche title they really should be doing everything they can to consolidate what they already have.

Not to mention that if the PSP game doesn't sell well there won't be any further VC. Why make a third game if the second bombs?
You do realize that they have sold more PSPs than PS3s so far (and that fact is likely to remain true for a long while). A LOT of people had to really consider if getting a PS3 was worth it to play mainly this game at US$400 for the current 80GB model. That's not including the price of the game for $40; and it used to be $60. So $440 to play VC (not including the required TV, obviously).

The PSP is a heck of a lot more affordable at $170 for the core system. Plus, games are typically $40 new, and less for older titles. You do need a Memory Stick for saves, say a 1GB for $15. So $225 to play VC2.

And for the record, I have a launch PSP and I'm definitely getting this when it hits the US. It's almost tempting to get the JP version instead and not have to wait as long.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:01   Link #12
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
You do realize that they have sold more PSPs than PS3s so far (and that fact is likely to remain true for a long while). A LOT of people had to really consider if getting a PS3 was worth it to play mainly this game at US$400 for the current 80GB model. That's not including the price of the game for $40; and it used to be $60. So $440 to play VC (not including the required TV, obviously).

The PSP is a heck of a lot more affordable at $170 for the core system. Plus, games are typically $40 new, and less for older titles. You do need a Memory Stick for saves, say a 1GB for $15. So $225 to play VC2.

And for the record, I have a launch PSP and I'm definitely getting this when it hits the US. It's almost tempting to get the JP version instead and not have to wait as long.
And it's likely that they're gonna advertise VC2 more than VC, so they'll have a wider audience. All they need to do is make a good commercial.

Hopefully they'll do the same when/if VC2 comes to NA.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:04   Link #13
kalbron

I suppose that's true. So long as they actually do advertising I guess they might actually end up more successful on the PSP with VC2.

That being said however I'm rather pissed that I'd have to buy another console in order to get access to more VC.
Old 2009-07-15, 02:34   Link #14
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

But VC without Selvaria just seems a bit... lacking.
Old 2009-07-15, 02:48   Link #15
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

.....I sense a Final Fantasy Tactics series vibe from the sequeal.

FYI, FFT was release on a console first and developed a cult following. But the next game in line was released on a handheld. This time vwith a more childish chara design, a tone down battled system and a less-than-epic storyline. And nothing was the same again.

I'm begining to see VC taking the same path.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 02:55   Link #16
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

It seems to me that Sega can't milk a franchise without killing it. They need lessons from Gainax and Sunrise.
Old 2009-07-15, 03:37   Link #17
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
It seems to me that Sega can't milk a franchise without killing it. They need lessons from Gainax and Sunrise.
It's not exactly fair to say such a thing. Because Sega managed to keep the Ryu Ga Gotoku crowd coming back for more even after 4 games. (Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 was among the top 5 best selling game in the first half of this year in Japan.) And Yakuza fans in the west was left in a fit as to wondering whether Kenzan! and RGG 3 will be translated.

So I guess it's all up to who's in charge of producing the game here.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 03:59   Link #18
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

if it tAKEs place in school...then l sense a welkin/alicia cameo!
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 04:01   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
But VC without Selvaria just seems a bit... lacking.
I could easily see it done without, especially if it's a new title with a whole new cast. Just have a few cameos.
Old 2009-07-15, 04:31   Link #20
Girsej

I'm sceptical, but I'll most likely get it anyway. It feels way more generic than the first game though, they created a more mainstream anime theme just like the anime became much more lighthearted than the game. This is war dammit, not a goukon >_>
Girsej is offline   Reply With Quote