Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-30, 21:04   Link #1
D2UA

What New and Old Anime Should I Be Watching

Ok, this question is two fold.

I will be asking what old anime I should be watching, ya know, to be considered an anime fan, and I will be asking about new anime, ya know, so I can be excited about next episodes of things like everyone else.

Ok so here are some of the anime I have watched and completed (as in, it's over...)

FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai 7
Excel Saga
Puni Puni Poemi
Cowboy Bebop
Chobits
Air
Trigun

Here are some anime I am watching that have been completed and I haven't got to the end...

Full Metal Alchemiest (sp?)

Here are some anime I am watching that are still on going that haven't been finished

One Piece
Naruto
Detective Conan

And last but not least, here are some anime that have started in the last month or so that I am now watching

Hatsuki
Kashimashi
Fate/Stay Night
Kagihime

So if you guys here could reccomend me anime in three catogories: Completed, On Going, Brand New (within 2 months)

Based on my watching habits, I like anime that is romantic, action, mystery, comedy, and drama. So please give me anime like that, and if you want, expand my horizons. I hope I can be helped ^_^
Old 2006-01-30, 22:51   Link #2
jedinat

Completed:
Aishiteruze Baby - Great anime, nice romance. The anime has a better ending than the manga.
Azumanga Daioh - Hilarious, perfect for lighthearted entertainment.
Fruits Basket - Nice feel-good anime. Read the manga. It's incredible and much better than the anime (which is still very good)
Hachimitsu to Clover - Blows all other recent anime I've seen away. Just watch it.
Haibane Renmei - Awesome drama/slice-of-life/fantasy anime. One of my favs.
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - One of my favorite romance animes.
Midori no Hibi - Great comedy/romance. Better than Chobits and all those other similar anime.
Onegai Teacher - Got me into the romance genre. Still one of my favorites.
RahXephon - My favorite mecha anime. I usually dont like mecha but this one was good, and its got a nice romance.
Rurouni Kenshin - My favorite of the talk-about-the-move-I'm-making-or-my-outlook-on-life-while-fighting genre... which I guess would also be called 'shounen'. The manga is even better.
Serial Experiments Lain - It was a nice change of pace from all the lighthearted stuff I usually watch. Very confusing, but still very interesting.
Uchuu no Stellvia - A nice 'school in space' drama. For some reason I love the way the girls are animated when they cry...

Ongoing:
Shakugan no SHANA - My favorite of the ongoing animes I'm watching right now. There are the beginnings of a romance between the two mains.
Old 2006-01-31, 11:07   Link #3
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Completed:
Gungrave - A lot heavier than Trigun,has the same author. Awesome gun action and storyline. A Real Man's Man anime.(or so I call it)
Gankutsuou-I've never seen bad reviews for this one.
Ginban Kaleidoscope- Torino olympic hype anime based on a novel. Don't let the low quality fool you,this anime is actually good,and romantic.

Ongoing:
Nerima Daikon Brothers- If you liked Nabeshin's works( I noticed you saw Excel and Poemi), here's his recent anime! Nabeshin's back with a musical,not a ordinary one but utterly hilarious.
KARAS- An OVA,comes out every 3 months or so. Good for Tokusatsu fans,still good for others cuz it's just STUNNING to watch. The storyline's so-so so far,but the visual presentations are done very,very,very well.
Old 2006-01-31, 11:25   Link #4
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well if you liked Air and Chobits, I suggest Kanon, it's more or less on the same wavelength, a masterpiece.

I'm currently watching Trinity Blood but since I haven't finished it yet, I can't recommend it, although SO far, it's ok, so you could try it.
Old 2006-02-01, 03:30   Link #5
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2UA
Based on my watching habits, I like anime that is romantic, action, mystery, comedy, and drama. So please give me anime like that, and if you want, expand my horizons. I hope I can be helped ^_^
Completed
Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu? and Full Metal Panic the Second Raid. All three seasons completely fall into the habits that you listed. It has everything you can think of and never falls short of a great story. The first two seasons are licensed by adv and the third season can be dl here at animesuki. I'm pretty sure this is what your looking for and you will so not be disappointed especially since it is so popular that it even has its own series dicussion thread here at animesuki. For more info go here http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=844
Hope that helps.
Old 2006-02-01, 13:33   Link #6
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

That's funny, the oldest anime of your list is from 1996...
Hmm, then again, it's been 10 years already... Time flies... I feel old...

Well, you could try and watch Kodocha (1996, 102 eps).
However, if you feel like giving a try to some REALLY old school anime, try Touch (1985, 101 eps + films).
Old 2006-02-01, 17:20   Link #7
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Licensed we have:

Noir
(If you liked Pani Poni) Excel Saga
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Azumanga Daioh (As recommended by jedinat)
Full Metal Panic
RahXephon
Blood+, sadly
Tsubasa Chronicle
Last Exile

Unlicensed:

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (The must watch anime of all time, in my opinion)
Kanon
Canvas 2
Kashimashi (If you like that kind of thing o.O)
Detective Conan
Old 2006-02-02, 08:22   Link #8
miaka

let start with the classic
completed
Ranma 1/2 - a mix of romance and comedy.
Vision of Escaflowne - its a sunrise production. It is where maaya sakamoto started her career ( if you know her) as singer and voice actress. Its a mecha, romance and action genre.
spiral - if you like mystery try this one. It will get you to think think and think and finally get a scientific explanation. very forensic
Neon Genesis Evangelion - very contravertial anime that mix religion, philosophy and psychology all together. Its mecha so expect a lot of action and also some comedy.
Ongoing
Angel Heart - another anime from the author of city hunter, so expect action and a lot of comedy and this anime is still ongoing.
Bleach - i am surprise that you did not mention this on your list. Its still ongoing and it has a lot of comedy and action.
Old 2006-02-04, 18:40   Link #9
stretch87
Anime Addict

Beck - it is about music. However, it has nothing to do with the western singer. Beck is the name of a dog.

this series is so amazing it actually made me start listening to "rock". before i watched beck i only listened to hip hop, but since watching beck, rock has a special place in my heart because it brings back memories of beck when i hear it =), and the music in beck is awsome.

Samurai Champloo - arguabley the best samurai anime of all time, imho

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex - i really don't need to say much about this series. watch a ten second clip and the animation quality will speak for it self
Old 2006-03-10, 14:18   Link #10
milotaku

Try....

1. City Hunter
2. urusei yatsura
3. Maison Ikaku
4. Pani Poni Dash
5. Rave
6. Inuyasha
Old 2006-03-11, 11:54   Link #11
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Blue gender-One of my favourites of all time, just becasue of the characters. I just rewatched that show for the second time yesterday all 26 episodes, after 3 months, since I watched it. and I still loved the show, just because how the characters developed.

Gungrave-another one of my favouirites

Outlaw star

Peace maker- another one of my favourites, actually tied with blue gender for top spot on my all time favourites.

ongoing:
how can you not watch bleach yet?
Shakugan no shana
recue wings
fate/stay night

infot at www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/
Old 2006-03-14, 20:33   Link #12
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

tsukihime
ai yori aoshi
snow fairy sugar