Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-16, 10:29   Link #641
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
You know who are there the biggest moochers in the 47%?

U.S Combat troops who were in "active" combat during the tax year. Just because they were willing to take a bullet for Uncle Sam, does not exempt them from the IRS there 40,000 a year salary damn it!

This is ultimately the thing that makes the Republican party really schizophrenic about taxes. On one hand they absolutely loathe having to pay income taxes...yet hate people who don't make enough income to qualify for the income tax, acting as if those people are freeloading (and as if things such as sales, and payroll taxes don't exist). Even Romney partially defined the 47% as people who didn't pay income tax.

Look at Cain's 999 tax plan. That would have increased taxes on 84% of US households. And many Republicans thought this was a GOOD plan. Why? Cause it got those deadbeats who didn't pay income tax to "have a foot in the game."

That's really what's so fascinating about the Republicans. It's not just that they think that benefits should be cut. There seems to be this quite agreement that poor people should be paying more taxes.
Old 2013-03-16, 14:30   Link #642
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Oh dear, Herman Cain's tax plan, I remember so many people came out in favor of it from the beginning as a great way to simplify the tax system. Then it was widely debunked as absolute nonsense and garbage by anyone that had half a brain.

Yes, the tax code needs to be simplified, but that abomination was not it ..
Old 2013-03-16, 15:30   Link #643
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
The problem is, so-called "swing voters" still often identify with one party in some shape or form (I remember a Gallop poll showing that swing voters voted for 1 party at least 3/4 of the time, or something...can't find the poll right now.)

Of course, "center" in America=right wing in any other Western nation. True liberals like myself have almost no power in Washington.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
Old 2013-03-16, 17:38   Link #644
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's really what's so fascinating about the Republicans. It's not just that they think that benefits should be cut. There seems to be this quite agreement that poor people should be paying more taxes.
How can it be quiet if they shout it every chance they get?
Old 2013-03-18, 21:27   Link #645
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

If some are interested, here is the ''growth and opportunity project'', a auto-critic from the Republican National Comittee
http://growthopp.gop.com/default.aspx
I wouldn't be surprised if much of the tea-bagger dissagree with it.
Old 2013-03-18, 22:22   Link #646
Ridwan

This article should be posted here.

Spoiler for Rob Portman & Empathy:
Old 2013-03-18, 23:46   Link #647
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Note : Things change faster because they are simply created and destroyed. People take time to because they are mired in their comfort zone.

Rob Portman should at least stand in the middle and help write a bill to prohibit affections between the same-sex from being displayed in full public view.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-03-18, 23:57   Link #648
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
This article should be posted here.

Spoiler for Rob Portman & Empathy:
I'll call bullshit on the article author (William Saletan). Read his other articles. At best, he's contrarian just to be so.

The fact remains that this behavior by people like Portman shows a seriously short range ability to empathize. They don't get it until it smacks them in the face - that means if there's a problem facing the general community they are often a hindrance and may bring the whole community down because it isn't their problem.
Old 2013-03-19, 00:21   Link #649
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll call bullshit on the article author (William Saletan). Read his other articles. At best, he's contrarian just to be so.

The fact remains that this behavior by people like Portman shows a seriously short range ability to empathize. They don't get it until it smacks them in the face - that means if there's a problem facing the general community they are often a hindrance and may bring the whole community down because it isn't their problem.
That's the point : he's a typical republican, if not politician in general

In turn, the article also indicates the ongoing general current of things. Still it seems that GOP will persist on entertaining us along the way.
Old 2013-03-19, 00:52   Link #650
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I would say that is because the Republicans are too busy sealing deals with major interests. See the amount of lobby/donations by big companies and major industries last election?

The film Thank You For Smoking sums up everything quite nicely; the big interests lobby to sell their products, and the media lobby to report in whatever way they want. It is a transparent democracy, sure. A type of transparent democracy where politicians allow themselves to be bought out by the highest bidder in full public view.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-03-19, 08:40   Link #651
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
That's the point : he's a typical republicanperson, if not politician in general

In turn, the article also indicates the ongoing general current of things. Still it seems that GOP will persist on entertaining us along the way.
There, fixed it for you. I find it refreshing that 9/10 times I tend to not overestimate people -- because my general opinion of the entire world populace is this low. Queue your random forum troll post about being a genius that invented some sort of engine.
Old 2013-03-19, 08:57   Link #652
Ridwan

We just need more good posts around. :/
Old 2013-03-19, 10:48   Link #653
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

As I kind of expected, there's a bunch of conservative than disagree with the autocritic fron the top of the GOP:

The GOP's Real Problem is Simple
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...blem_is_simple
CSI: GOP
http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...si-gop-editors
Tea Party groups warn grassroots activism at risk in RNC proposals
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...-rnc-proposals
Old 2013-03-19, 14:16   Link #654
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:

I agree. The article doesn't really make its point. It tries to divert the attention, claiming that Portman was one among many who opposed gay marriage. Blame is further extended with the claim that it's only been recently that a president supported gay marriage, with some wonderment over why Obama didn't receive the same criticism that Portman did. Saletan is falsely implying that Portman somehow needed the consent of others and the president to support gay marriage, and then goes further by stating that not doing anything about gay marriage is somehow the same thing as creating laws against gay marriage. It isn't.

The fact is that Portman chose a side that was trying to restrict the freedoms of a certain diverse group of people, and when it turned out that his own son was among that group, he completely changed his ways. I don't disagree with Saletan that we should 'be patient, be welcoming, be kind,' but the accusations about there being a lack of empathy and varying amounts of hypocrisy that he is seemingly trying to deflect are correct.
Old 2013-03-20, 13:39   Link #655
Kyuu
=^^=

Now this is a powerful read:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/d...eds_to_be_read

To anyone claiming TL;DR, here's a short summary. Basically, it's a letter from a dying soldier addressed to Bush and Cheney.

In light of the 10 year anniversary to the Iraq invasion -- it is clear today, that it was a very very poor decision to invade Iraq.
Old 2013-03-20, 14:59   Link #656
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

People could see and smell the fishiness of invading Iraq by a mile knowing that the job was not done against Bin Laden at all at the time.

Whoever was the secretary of communications at the time was as good as Joseph Goebbels was in deceiving people in the media for the sake of what the leader wants.
Old 2013-03-20, 16:25   Link #657
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
People could see and smell the fishiness of invading Iraq by a mile knowing that the job was not done against Bin Laden at all at the time.

Whoever was the secretary of communications at the time was as good as Joseph Goebbels was in deceiving people in the media for the sake of what the leader wants.
I don't get what so bad about war in Iraq, I mean, a Newspaper Baron started the Spanish American war, why couldn't an oil Baron? Maybe next time Google can declare war too
Old 2013-03-20, 16:27   Link #658
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
I don't get what so bad about war in Iraq, I mean, a Newspaper Baron started the Spanish American war, why couldn't an oil Baron? Maybe next time Google can declare war too
At least, the US gained territory and established itself as a global power with the Spanish-American War. Although, this war was started with a similar style of BS as today.

But with the Iraq War -- what the hell did America even get out of it? Easy oil access?

EDIT: Yep.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/19/op...asz/?hpt=hp_c1
Old 2013-03-20, 16:35   Link #659
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Do recall the general public opinion of Saddam Hussein by 2003. For the previous 12 years Americans had been wondering "why didn't we just finish him off in 1991?" and "How is that ass going to thumb his nose as us and the UN now?"

So going in to finish the job from 1991 was a popular idea. The method used to go in there might be questionable, but the idea of going in there to get him was not new nor was it unpopular. We wanted his ass on a pike. At the time we still followed more or less the rules about assassination of political leaders being off the table, but a war to get them was "fine".
Old 2013-03-20, 16:37   Link #660
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
That's a bit of an oversimplification about how the Spanish-American War started. More to the point, there weren't any lies that were told. Slanted articles, sure, but no outright fabrications.