AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-21, 07:03   Link #241
DaFool
Resident devil

I watched ep 20 before 19, and I must also say I preferred ep 19...it's better in the more classic bittersweet way. However I really like the character portrayals in ep 20...and when Tanyu did her craft, I was like "damn, that girl is too cool". A perfect companion for Ginko indeed.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 07:30   Link #242
wao
OK.

And while I don't watch the fansubs, I really want to think C1-Anime for bringing this anime to light by fansubbing it - it's really a kind of anime we needed as of recent, and a very good piece that should be remembered... perhaps it won't be a popular classic because it's not got what a lot of people are looking for, and it doesn't have any apparent "wow" factor like Kino no Tabi's intellect and tight structure, or immediately charming and yet deep settings like Haibane no Renmei because it takes things really slowly...

It's not like it's completely perfect - I do think some episodes were not handled well and while the premises was vaguely interesting, the portrayal simply wasn't convincing. To be honest, I don't think most of the stories on their own would have been really excellent - they're not bad, most of them (why would I read the manga otherwise), but not really awesome - but with correct treatment in the anime I believe they can bring out much much more than the manga does, and there you get a gem of an episode.

My favourite episodes would be...
Mabuta no Hikari - ep 2 (The stuff coming out from Sui's eyes!! It was so brilliantly done, that scene - and the general execution of that ep felt superior to most others, IMO. And the story itself was a bit better than average for the show to me. Furthermore it becomes so much more poignant when you've watched ep 12.)

Sugame no Uo - 12 (I absolutely loved the chapter in teh manga and I like it here - I know a good chunk of it is probably because I was hugely interested in seeing Ginko's past, but I felt the material itself was quite good. Just seeing how different Nui looked as a normal Mushishi and later spoke volumes to me about her, and the utterly unusual way she seemed for a woman [I actually didn't realise she was female until I noticed a full-length drawing of her in the manga where she looked a little female...] just showed how much she had gone through, IMO. But the sheer oblivion that Nui is faced with in itself was just...It was all really powerful.)

Akatsuki no Hebi - 16 (Whatever people say, I find this is one of the most memorable stories in the whole series, even when it was just the manga and this ep hadn't been animated yet. The ending line was really the one that did it for me. Although I do think the anime ep could have been better, the story on its own was enough for it to be a favourite for me anyway.)

Fude no Umi - 20 (I made a long-as-hell post about this already... I think the director himself has grown over the series - there's a marked increase in quality of direction and storyboarding from ep 1 to 20. Very marked.)
Old 2006-03-21, 08:55   Link #243
Beitel
Mushishi

I finally saw episode 20 and it was great, as everybody's been saying. Before I'm going to comment on that episode I'm going to look back at Mushishi, my favorite anime series at the moment.
The thing that makes Mushishi such a great anime is the sense of a realistic, though wonderfull world. Ginko just travels, meets people and helps them. It's not that Ginko makes a difference in all these stories, but his experience does most of the time. You're pulled into an imaginary world that feels real, and that's what I am searching for.

Then Ginko. I can't say anything different than that he's a perfect main character. Someone who cares for the people and sees Mushi as a natural part of the world. Someone who is in control as far as possible, but still in a human way. An example to follow, someone you can really trust.

And now to the story telling. Even though every story is told in just one episode, it rarely feels rushed. In the contrary, it's always very calm. Okay, not every story is as strong as the other and sometimes I notice that there are problems with the limited time of 25 minutes, but mostly every episode gets the attention it deserves.
Now I'm getting more spoilery with stuff from ep 20:

Spoiler:

Mushishi is just the anime I was searching for since I began to watch anime. One that I can enjoy for the rest of my life by just seeing a random episode from time to time.
Beitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 12:53   Link #244
Emil Scherbe

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...382564-2986661
http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I got "Mushishi official book" 2 days ago.
It was not very new as actually published 2 month ago.
But this is interesting book for Mushishi fans.

It has several contents that deseved to mentions,
but what makes me stunned was the fact they
created 7 stories (extended over 58 pages) of "Karibusa library"
And these stories were used in Episode 20.

It showed how they thought importance of this episode.

Last edited by Emil Scherbe; 2006-03-21 at 20:54.
Emil Scherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 02:56   Link #245
Cal-Reflector

I can understand why those who saw the last two episodes preferred 19 over 20: The emotions in it were far more vivid, the depths and ranges of feelings experienced were deeper and more tangible, where as in episode 20, Fude no Umi, both Tanyuu and Ginko were in similar states of emotion, a state of grim acceptance of their fate; nothing changes by the end of the episode.

Episode 20's message was subtler, visible through its use of colors and scenery: Whereas episode 19 metaphorically shows the brilliant contrast between the stars in the sky and the kouji in the earth, in addition to how Fuki regains her colors, the scenery in episode 20 is bleak as the weather, and even in its most hopeful moments towards the end the characters still appeared undertoned.

Episode 20 differs from episode 19 and the rest of the episodes however, in that it does not contain a conflict to be resolved, and for that unconventionality I like it more: You see, in episode 1-19, if memory serves correctly, there's always someone in trouble due to mushi which Ginko tries to remedy, to varying sucess; that's the basic pattern. In episode 20 however, Tanyuu doesn't need Ginko's rescuing, and Ginko recognizes in Tanyuu a kindred soul in that she realizes how her life is inseparable form mushi and she's accepted her inability to walk and leave the confines of her home... just as Ginko has accepted his fate to continuously walk the earth, never to have a place to call home. It's this unique connection that Tanyuu and Ginko make with each other that draws me to episode 20.
Old 2006-03-22, 04:29   Link #246
kujoe
from head to heel

So I did what I previously thought was difficult, that is, to watch Mushishi as if I were marathoning it. I only had three episodes to go anyway. Moreover, I didn't regret every second of it at all.

Episode 18 starts off with a story that we all have heard already. I'm talking about the typical story of the man who leaves, somehow forgets his roots, refuses to listen to the cry of those around him, only to do what he should've done a long time ago and suffer the consequences in the end. It's like one of those stories where the character goes, "if only I just listened, or did this and that when I had the chance..!" In other words, it's a harsh and ironic story with themes of regret, consequence—and in Mushishi's case—redemption. And so in the end, the artist is able to share his life with his dearly departed sister's daughter and is able to paint again. It's a simple story. Mushi and Ginko weren't so central to the story this time around either—but hell, I still liked it.

Episode 19 on the other hand, had a little bit of creepiness and wonder written all over a calm, would-be love story. Just the thought of being "fished" off the ground all of a sudden evokes a sense of dread when you think about it. And the part where Ginko casually spots Fuki sitting on the supports of the ceiling could've been easily taken from your typical Japanese horror movie. However, the last moments of the story have a touch of the strange, the poignant and the amusing—and in the end, it all boils down to a choice and a happy ending. I don't know about this one really. I mean, it wasn't bad but I just couldn't get into it until the wedding ceremony. However in terms of the whoa factor, this episode has it in spades. When Fuki was "fished" off the ground and when she was being blown off her feet by the wind, my attention was immediately taken. Still, it can't match the kid from episode 2 who had mushi coming out of her eyes.

And finally, episode 20. So what else has to be said about the awesomeness that is episode 20? For one thing, I liked the irony of Ginko and Tanyuu's relationship—which is, from the way I'm seeing it so far—more about kindred spirits rather than about man-woman romance. As Cal-Reflector puts it, one is fated to travel all his life, while the other is most likely doomed to remain in one place forever. You have a tireless traveller and you have another who can't walk. A man who can never settle down, and a woman who desires to be free. They carry different burdens and yet, despite these opposing fates, they are drawn to one another in the most simple way. In terms of character interaction, their chemistry is one of the best I've seen.

Also, I have to confess. With regard to Tanyuu I was expecting some weak, shy, stereotypically moe-ish, probably a bit on-the-loli-side character. (Go figure...) Instead, I'm pleased to see the opposite. Despite her condition, Tanyuu possesses that inner strength that defines her character. In fact, she's the type of woman that demands respect and admiration even if you happened to hate her. Truly, a perfect match for Ginko, and to simply see them conversing is sooo much worth it.

In the end, I would have to say that episode 16 is still my favorite—followed closely by 20. But the ride ain't over yet, and I'm definitely looking forward to what follows next. Now, I guess I should moving over to Ergo Proxy or something in the meantime.

Last edited by kujoe; 2006-03-22 at 04:46.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 09:16   Link #247
Lost

I liked episode 19 very much. When that guy, Young-Master Seijirou was suffering over how to accept Fuki even when he couldn't see her, and how they linked it to the stars "disappearing" during the day but still being there in the exact same spot; that link that made him finally understand, I felt was a very very nice effect, a great move by the writers. And brillantly executed in Animation; his hands rising up to the stars at the end of the flashback..

It was sad seeing how Fuki had to cope with the effects of the Mushi; especially for me, in the scene when she floated up to the top of the room and was clinging on to the beams; her voice then at that moment, when she apologised (apologised!!) and said she didnt know how to come down... Wow... You heard the anxiety, fear, a tinge of desperation in her voice. seiyuus. Also, it was poignant, seeing that she had to be tied down to the pillar.

Then lastly, I've to comment on the last part of the episode, Ginko's narration of events.. I don't know why but I especially liked that. I think for one its because Ginko has this super calming voice, or at least, way of talking. (again, seiyuus) Second, because I expected a happy ending, and it delivered. Also, the reality of things. Fuki didnt immediately appear, it took quite awhile of endurance on Seijirou's part before the results (rather, result) could materialise (literally).

Crap... I cant decide which ones are my favourite episodes.. I like all of them!!! Well, on to 20.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 11:11   Link #248
Lost

Spoiler for 20 20 20!!!:

Oh. And favourite episode? Its easy now. 20 beats them all.
Old 2006-03-28, 15:25   Link #249
Cal-Reflector

Mushishi wins awards at 5th Tokyo Anime Award 2006:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8619

I'm thrilled and surprised that Mushishi, a late runner and unconventional series, was able to recieve such high honors, including best Art Direction. Shows the Japanese film critiques actually know their stuff... *chuckle* The choice of the FMA movie: Conqueror of Shambala, as most outstanding animation of the year was completely justified, and Eureka 7 and Black Jack TV round out the top award recipients.

Pat yourselves on the back, everyone. We were right about worshipping this show. Hopefully this'll help Mushishi get licensed in the US.

Lost: Yeah, about Ginko's fashion sense? I have screenshots of him taken that I'll turn into Hugo Boss, Giorgio Armani, and Valentino Men's Fashion spoof ads soon.
Old 2006-03-28, 20:11   Link #250
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Very nice achivement with Mushishi. Is episode 20 really the last episode ? I thought it was supposed to be a 24 episode anime ? I cant get enough !!!! Is thier any other anime similar to this ?
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 23:59   Link #251
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Mushishi wins awards at 5th Tokyo Anime Award 2006:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8619

I'm thrilled and surprised that Mushishi, a late runner and unconventional series, was able to recieve such high honors, including best Art Direction. Shows the Japanese film critiques actually know their stuff... *chuckle* The choice of the FMA movie: Conqueror of Shambala, as most outstanding animation of the year was completely justified, and Eureka 7 and Black Jack TV round out the top award recipients.
That's quite satisfying. Best art direction indeed. But I wouldn't say I was surprised, after all, its manga also won an award before. It is just that Mushishi anime is also recognized in some way for its excellence. On the contrary, it would be blasphemy if it didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
Very nice achivement with Mushishi. Is episode 20 really the last episode ? I thought it was supposed to be a 24 episode anime ? I cant get enough !!!! Is thier any other anime similar to this ?
Read up the thread for more details, but Mushishi is not over yet. It will resume airing on May 14th (the final splash screen of episode 20 hinted at it even if you don't understand Japanese). Future airing schedules up to episode 26 was already posted here.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 00:56   Link #252
Kitty-Cat in Blanket
Leering Catgirl

Send a message via AIM to Kitty-Cat in Blanket
Wow. That's about all I have to say. What an amazing series, and a great ending.

^_____^
Kitty-Cat in Blanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 04:19   Link #253
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty-Cat in Blanket
and a great ending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Mushishi is not over yet.
Details, two posts up.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 10:10   Link #254
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Lost: Yeah, about Ginko's fashion sense? I have screenshots of him taken that I'll turn into Hugo Boss, Giorgio Armani, and Valentino Men's Fashion spoof ads soon.
Heh serious? Please post it here when your done

Mushishi definitely deserves Best Art Direction. Glad to see it being recognised.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-03-30 at 01:00.
Old 2006-03-31, 17:07   Link #255
Glitch87

does anyone know where to find the OST 'sounds from mushi' or something like that.
Glitch87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 18:24   Link #256
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch87
does anyone know where to find the OST 'sounds from mushi' or something like that.
Here are a couple of places:

CDJapan

Amazon JP
Old 2006-04-01, 03:46   Link #257
Zeliard

Hrrm, so Mushishi isn't over then? Cool.
How many episodes will there be, the 20 tv and 6 dvd, or are they going for 24 tv + the 6 dvd or...?

I stumbled across this series by accident, so glad I did. I haven't kept up with any news about it though so I'm extremely uninformed. ^_^
Zeliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 04:52   Link #258
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

The 20 episodes that have already been fansubbed + 6 more episodes that will start airing in May. There are no DVD only episodes that I know of.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 05:14   Link #259
Zeliard

Ah, ok, I was just going by what it said on the main site:
Quote:
Episodes: 20 (TV) + 6 (DVD)
^_^

Thanks!
Zeliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 22:34   Link #260
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
I watched the first five a few months ago and then watched 5-20 in one big
blast and it was great to be totally immersed in the world of the Mushi-shi.

The animation, artwork and music all provided for a eerily plausible world.

And yes, 19 and 20 really were heartfelt. Now I can't wait until the break
is over to see what happens next.
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural