AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-02-14, 01:34   Link #1
Ashes

Send a message via AIM to Ashes Send a message via Yahoo to Ashes
Video Games out of Anime Shows....

Why do they always make the good ones into fighting games? Why can't they make them into rpgs?

Several good examples: Inuyasha, One Peice, Naruto
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 01:37   Link #2
Ashes

sorry about the wrong forum move if you like
Old 2004-02-14, 02:53   Link #3
Fronzel
Schmuck

They made Di Gi Charat into an RPG. :P
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 13:46   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

It's old, but there was a Ranma rpg. It's just that fighting games come more naturally to action anime like Naruto, OP, and IY. Still I'm hoping for a naruto rpg someday.
They should make an Azumanga Daioh rpg, that'd be the best game ever.
Old 2004-02-14, 16:05   Link #5
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
^^; Oh, there was a lot of anime series made into RPG's... [ Sailor Moon, Ranma, Akazukin Chacha, Tenchi Muyo, Slayers, Hack, Mahou Kishi Rayearth, and so much more. ] It's just that.. A lot of times, they aren't really good games. Some of the games were very popular, like the Hack games and the Slayers game.. But a lot of the others weren't very popular except with fans of the anime.

Also, it's obviously easier to make a popular fighting game out of an anime. Because.. The most important things to make an RPG.. Well, two of the most important things.. Are the characters and the story. And if it's based on an anime series, we already know about the characters and about the story.

I've seen several platform games and puzzle games of anime series... So I guess they don't just make fighting games. ^^
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 16:08   Link #6
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

-> moved to Games
Old 2004-02-14, 17:27   Link #7
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I'm not sayin RPGs suck or anything... but fighting games are nicer and more enjoyable to play than RPGs imo... I just like fighting human players as opposed to fighting computer controlled players... and plus matches can be quick....

and btw... firefox is one nice browser! tabs are key!
Old 2004-02-15, 21:21   Link #8
rayearth

Send a message via ICQ to rayearth
Making it into a fighting game would be easier than going for RPG. I mean, if you do make it into a RPG, then what's the story going to be? Perhaps a direct copy or slightly changed one from the Anime, which isn't exactly that interesting. Some do get original stories (like the Galaxy Angel games, and they're DAMN GOOD), but not a lot. With fighting games, they just gave to push in a skeleton story and let the player bash through the game, making it more "enjoyable" than just having a story he/she knows about being retold again.

You might get the image that there's more fighting games than non-fighting games since you're looking at the wrong series. Such as your example, Inuyasha, One piece and Naruto are all action oriented. Look at same more drama-ish series that also got games made after it: Chobits, Mahoromatic, Aoi yori Aoshi, etc.
rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 23:18   Link #9
Ashes

You never hear of those other games though, the ones made into rpgs, or at least i hadn't heard of them. To be honest though, i haven't really been into anime for as long as some of you guys have been, maybe 3 years or so. So it's possible that i've missed those because of that.
Old 2004-02-16, 01:52   Link #10
rayearth

Send a message via ICQ to rayearth
I think it's more to do with the nature of the games instead of being "old" in the Anime scene (all 3 series I mentioned came around the time, if not after Inuyasha started). You see, I've seen the Naruto and One piece games on display even if they're all Japanese. The flashy effects and well known characters sells the game already, but what about some wordy RPG type game? That doesn't exactly work on the display window unless it has a really eye catching intro movie.

While most people would read about newest games on local magazines, visit local stores or read ENGLISH game websites, you won't see any of the story intense Japanese games show up unless you find their Japanese counterparts. A few of the more famous ones might get mentioned, but the ratio is probably enough to make the "there's only fighting games" impression for most people :P

Trust me, if you look at the "right places", you'd probably think there's too many RPGs instead :P But then again, there's not that many Anime->Game ports so no real complaints - yet.
rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 02:10   Link #11
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Games made from anime are far more better than traditional American games. I prefer importing and playing Japanese games (which includes anime games) than buying a domestic game. The Love Hina game for the PS2 is very fun to play and I love Resident Evil: Outbreak. I think I played like at least 5 hours of Outbreak so far and dating/romance sims are way fun to play. Sure beats those stupid sport games. Tokimeki Memorial 3 and Girl's Side are more fun than playing a sports game.

What gets me is that American developers are trying to push their action based games into Japan and geting upset if it doesn't sell well while at the same time, rejecting Japanese anime, dating and romance, certain RPGS, non-action oriented, and cutesy games cuz they don't think they will sell well in the US.

IMHO, American gamers are missing out by choosing to boycott Japanese games cuz they think they will get bored cuz there is no mega fighting/action in the games made from Japan, well the ones that don't get sold here.
Princess_of_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 15:53   Link #12
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Azumanga Donjyara Daioh!
Old 2004-02-16, 17:56   Link #13
ShadowX114
is my nickname

Get Backers on GBA is an RPG game i think but the one on the PS2 is a "beat em up" type of game.
ShadowX114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 18:07   Link #14
RichMan
????

If a Naruto fighting game was made it better be 3D and fast paced. If it is made 2D that's gonna suck, just try to imagine it. You want to have a huge 3D environment so you can do true ninja stuff and be stealthy. In a 2D game your just gonna jump and throw a shiruken and since it's 2D it'd be pretty hard to dodge.

That'd be cool, you'd have a Chakra(Catra? LOL) meter and got to choose how much you got to use, so like if you wanted to run up a tree or use just enough energy to hurt your opponent and not waste it. I wonder how they'd set up a system for the "sharingan" like Kakashi?
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 19:03   Link #15
Ashes

well i know of 3 naruto fighting games, 2 for the gamecube and 1 for the ps2... but i have no idea how they're set up. Being that they're on systems that are capable of 3d you'd think that they would do something like that.

I used to work for a video games store and my boss told me that Naruto 2 for gamecube was the best fighting game ever, better than snk vs capcom. But he's an ass and i got fired by him so take that as it comes.
Old 2004-03-04, 22:20   Link #16
Vejita

There IS a Naruto RPG, but it's for the GBA. As far as reasoning for fighting games? I'd have to say that most of the people here are accurate in saying that a fighting game is a more logical route to go for fans frothing at the mouth to play as their favorite characters. In an RPG you're going to be limited to who you play as(standard is you're only going to be one character the whole time) and variations of situations(RPGs are only going to give you what they want you to see.) Where as in fighting games(I can't speak for the PS2 Naruto since I don't own it) such as Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen & Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 2 for Gamecube, you can witness and participate in battles from either side of...Gaara vs. Haku or Orochimaru vs. Zabuza or Neji vs. Mizuki, or in an extreme case, Hinata, Shikamaru, and Sharingan Sasuke vs. Akamaru(yes, at the same time). Okay, really you can only do those combinations of characters in part 2, but you get my point. The combinations of stupid ideas are endless in fighting games, giving you endless hours of experimental delight to do any retarded thing you can dream up. So basically it's instant gratification for those of us whom just want to play as our favorite characters,(even though I still want Temari and Anko)do some really cool crap right off the bat, and otherwise just tear it up with them

I almost forgot...anyone attending A-Kon this year. I will be holding a Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 2 tournament at the GameStop booth. Anyone that attended last year may remember the tournament for the first game. My roommate is a GameStop store manager so he mostly ran it, but I was right there playing with everyone, kicking your butts. As it was a last minute decision I couldn't get the word out, but I want all the Naruto fans there in full force this year. You may see these same words posted throughout forums everywhere as the case is.

Last edited by Vejita; 2004-03-04 at 23:34.
Vejita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 22:34   Link #17
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes
I used to work for a video games store and my boss told me that Naruto 2 for gamecube was the best fighting game ever, better than snk vs capcom. But he's an ass and i got fired by him so take that as it comes.
imo... Tekken Tag Tournament was the best fighting game ever... I have Naruto 2 for GC and it's quite fun... but the overall lack of depth and moves hurt the game in the strategy department... Naruto 2 is a very fun game cuz it's four players and easy... but not the best fighting game ever....
Old 2004-03-04, 22:49   Link #18
::faze
<3 Scrapped Princess

Chiyoruga - a small fanmade game designed loosely around Ikaruga ^^
::faze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 23:35   Link #19
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

People like anime for the rich character development. You can't really reflect that in a fighting game. That sucks.

Plus, in a fighting game, say like Naruto, you don't end up doing what you want to see the characters in the anime do. Shikamaru doesn't go up to people and jab-kick-teleport in the manga or anime. He uses his shadows and tries to avoid combat. But you can't do that in a fighting game, and as a result you lose a lot of the flair the characters have. How can you Kage Bunshin and control the clones with Naruto real time? Why is Sakura a playable character? These are issues you run into that don't ring true for fans of the manga.

You end up having to fill the fighting game with a LOT of meaningless action. Nobody watches Prince of Tennis for the parts where they hit the standard forehands and backhands...yet, that's what the game mainly consists of...you're working with different media, and you have to get the most of what you have working for you, and what makes your anime unique out of your game, otherwise it's just a cash grab.

So you can make a fighting game out of it...so what...so can everyone else in every other anime.

Most every anime, even the ones with fighting in them, revolve around the character trying to set up a scenario where they can effectively use their big move...it takes time to do this. This is why a good percentage of anime action series actually work better as turn based strategy games...Naruto Konoha Senki for example.

But for the most part, you have to address each series individually. I think Cowboy Bebop would work AWESOME as an MMO. Turn on Big Shot, and look for a lead. Gundam...PC First Person Shooter, like MechWarrior.

Fighting games, however, are the easiest games to make...and so everyone does them...shameless cash grab for the most part...and that sucks...
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 23:40   Link #20
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
there is a naruto rpg...i remember seeing an article of it a while back

and dont forget kenshin!
and oldie but a goodie for the PS1

there is also gunparade march, but since that came before the anime series it doesnt really count
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote