Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-06-23, 02:59   Link #861
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
Also, next season is called 'Selector Spread WIXOSS'. We saw Midoriko this episode, so we know that LRIGs don't disappear when they lose, they just go to a new owner. LRIGs that win are replaced by their Selector. This means that the population of LRIGs is always growing. Is the end goal to make all girls be either LRIGs or Eternal Girls?
Actually the population of LRIGs is constant. Either a Selector loses three times and her LRIG simply finds another Selector, or the Selector becomes an Eternal Girl and switches places with her LRIG.

I think it's too early to criticize the WIXOSS system because we don't know what is Mayu's objective (assuming she is the mastermind behind the WIXOSS system). I expect it to be revealed in the second season.
One thing I didn't like in the finale is Hitoe overcoming her curse by her own means. And I also hope that Akira doesn't simply get a plastic surgery. That would make the curses extremely cheap. Otherwise I am fairly satisfied with the ending of the first season.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 06:47   Link #862
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
This i would attribute to 'they both have 12 episodes, and 12-episodes shows have a certain structures'.

Also, Yuzuki turning into a LRIG was actually, gasp, a /good/ thing for her.
I don't think Yuzuki sees it that way, or that we viewers are supposed to see it that way (it would kind of defeat the impetus behind Ruuko's wish). I think that Episode 9 is titled "The Cruel Truth" for a reason. There's no doubt in my mind that Yuzuki would rather be living out her own wish in her own human body. Being denied that is a bad thing for her, in my opinion.

Besides, if Yuzuki turning into a LRIG is a good thing in her eyes, she should have argued that to Ruuko when trying to talk Ruuko out of her wish. But she never did so. I think it's because she'd love to her human life back in her own human body (which isn't the same as regaining human life through Hitoe's body, of course).

So, with all the above in mind...

Spoiler for Madoka Magica comparison, major spoilers:

Now, there definitely are many significant differences aside from what I listed above, but these similarities are nonetheless extensive. When you combine that with the similar timing of these similar plot events, I think it paints a compelling picture of likely intentional parallelism.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2014-06-23 at 07:03. Reason: Fixed typo.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 06:56   Link #863
Key Board
Carbon

There are similarities, but at their core Sayaka and Yuzuki are different people
Yuzuki's wish is inherently more selfish, or as Ruuko but it.. a lot more straightforward.
There's two ways to look at it.

Sayaka wouldn't be able to make the wish Yuzuki did
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 07:16   Link #864
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
There are similarities, but at their core Sayaka and Yuzuki are different people
Their personality similarities are greater than their differences, in my view. Yes, Yuzuki is more direct with her wish, but then it's not like Kazuki had some sort of condition that Yuzuki felt Kazuki needed to be helped with.

Also, let's not overstate Yuzuki's selfishness. Yuzuki clearly put Ruuko's well-being ahead of her own in the last two episodes of WIXOSS.
Old 2014-06-23, 08:03   Link #865
Key Board
Carbon

Sayaka does not strike me as the kind of person who would try to get an easy win over a beginner, despite knowing that 3 loses knocks you out of the game forever
Sayaka does not strike me as the kind of girl would be willing to taint another person's wish for her own despite knowing the facts
Yuzuki is that person. And I actually like her for that. Yes, she's not entirely selfish. She in has moral conflicts because she knows Hitoe and Ruuko.
But had she been a Lrig to a total stranger I have absolutely no doubt that she would try to scam that person. Sayaka, I think, would not be able to do that.

Madoka Magica musings
Spoiler:
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2014-06-23, 08:15   Link #866
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think Yuzuki sees it that way, or that we viewers are supposed to see it that way (it would kind of defeat the impetus behind Ruuko's wish).
I don't think he meant it like that. Rather, I think he meant that turning into an LRIG helped complete the "journey" of Yuzuki into a better person. By being forced to bear the consequences of her actions, and learning how horrible the price is for winning and losing the game, she grew more mature and wiser. It's not a huge shift, but this Yuzuki is a lot more open and honest about herself than the Yuzuki we first met.

Hitoe has grown a bit as well. It's easy to write her off as a generic, shallow character, but she's demonstrated quite a range. Really it's Ruko that hasn't grown at all. Whatever the block is to that, we'll see it removed in the next season. The loss is a good reset point for her though, because she has nowhere to go but up now.

Looking further, it appears that Mayu is intentionally manipulating the system. The LRIGs are bound by a ton of rules about what can or can't be said, or granted. They are forced to complete the wish of the person they take over, essentially assuming the life of someone else. So they can't even be free to be themselves even if they win. Iona might be the odd exception to this, but honestly it would be hard to argue that Iona and her LRIG weren't basically the same personality anyway.

And apparently, even if the LRIGs lose, they can't escape. They simply get sent to another deck to try all over again, as many times as it takes. The whole game is a trap, designed to constantly funnel players into becoming LRIGs and knowing that most LRIGs will never escape, because the odds of meeting the conditions of becoming an Eternal Girl are less than losing three games.

The question is, what is the point of this system? Is Mayu the "monster" that created it and benefits from it, or is she another victim, albeit one with a particular role? What is the benefit to the system anyway? Is all of this suffering going to fill some kind of battery, and when its filled something even worse happens? Or is this just some kind of urban legend ghost story type of curse, like the Ring?

Also, I noticed during the preview that Ulith (as Iona) will be a Selector again.
Old 2014-06-23, 08:26   Link #867
Key Board
Carbon

I've speculated in an earlier post that the real intent of Mayu iis to prevent Tama from every being used, since apparently it's implied she can grant ANY wish

By propagating common Lrigs that can only grant normal mundane wishes, it reduces the chance of Tama being drawn, and thus, used.
Old 2014-06-23, 08:44   Link #868
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I've speculated in an earlier post that the real intent of Mayu iis to prevent Tama from every being used, since apparently it's implied she can grant ANY wish

By propagating common Lrigs that can only grant normal mundane wishes, it reduces the chance of Tama being drawn, and thus, used.
Well, it's also possible that Mayu doesn't want Ruko to win (or lose, given that Iona is her card now). Perhaps the goal wasn't either Tama or Ruko specifically, but splitting them both apart because of how dangerous they are together. There is something unique about Ruko (and obviously, Tama too), we just don't know what it is yet.
Old 2014-06-23, 09:06   Link #869
Galacticichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Well, it's also possible that Mayu doesn't want Ruko to win (or lose, given that Iona is her card now). Perhaps the goal wasn't either Tama or Ruko specifically, but splitting them both apart because of how dangerous they are together. There is something unique about Ruko (and obviously, Tama too), we just don't know what it is yet.
I think the danger is in Ruu's wish and Tama's ability to grant said wish. The question is, why does Mayu want the game to continue? Or rather, the question since day one, what is the purpose of WIXOSS? Hopefully the next cour has a wonderful explanation that thoroughly presents answers in an orderly manner, continuing the trend of the first cour.
Galacticichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 09:07   Link #870
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Sayaka does not strike me as the kind of person who would try to get an easy win over a beginner, despite knowing that 3 loses knocks you out of the game forever
Sayaka does not strike me as the kind of girl would be willing to taint another person's wish for her own despite knowing the facts
Yuzuki is that person. And I actually like her for that. Yes, she's not entirely selfish. She in has moral conflicts because she knows Hitoe and Ruuko.
But had she been a Lrig to a total stranger I have absolutely no doubt that she would try to scam that person. Sayaka, I think, would not be able to do that.
You seem to think that immorality is a strength, an "ability". But morality (or the lack thereof) is not about "ability". It's about choosing to be a good person who cares about other people and their well-being. That is a perfectly legitimate choice, and it doesn't make a person weak to make that choice. In fact, I think it takes a strong person to be willing to be a bit self-sacrificial for the sake of another person.

In any event, a character's moral values is only a part of the overall character. Sure, there might be some difference between Sayaka and Yuzuki here, but you're really over-emphasizing it, in my opinion. In my view, it pales in comparison to the considerable personality similarities between the two characters, as I outlined in detail a few posts back.

Quote:
I don't think he meant it like that.
If he didn't mean it like that then it's not a good argument against the comparisons that Dr. Casey and I were making.

Quote:
Rather, I think he meant that turning into an LRIG helped complete the "journey" of Yuzuki into a better person.
One could similarly argue that going through everything she did made Sayaka into a better person. So I don't see any problem with the comparison that Dr. Casey and I are making.
Old 2014-06-23, 10:01   Link #871
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
You seem to think that immorality is a strength, an "ability". But morality (or the lack thereof) is not about "ability". It's about choosing to be a good person who cares about other people and their well-being. That is a perfectly legitimate choice, and it doesn't make a person weak to make that choice. In fact, I think it takes a strong person to be willing to be a bit self-sacrificial for the sake of another person.
You might want re-read that. I said that Sayaka is still too human.

But I will elaborate.. She is not the embodiment of compassion like Madoka. Neither is she the embodiment of passion like Homura. As I said, neither god or devil.
And in the kind of story that Wixoss and Madoka are, that does put you at a disadvantage

You might realized the Ruuko herself reached an epiphany and is treading a similar path "To hurt another or even yourself to fulfill your wish" It's the kind of story where STRONG intent rules. It's just that Ruuko's path took a detour

And I believe that someone's moral compass, what they choose to do, is part of their character more than the circumstances that surround them. Yuzuki and Sayaka may have overlapping circumstances, but how they choose to handle things are opposites to each other.

Last edited by Key Board; 2014-06-23 at 10:12.
Old 2014-06-23, 10:02   Link #872
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
If he didn't mean it like that then it's not a good argument against the comparisons that Dr. Casey and I were making.

One could similarly argue that going through everything she did made Sayaka into a better person. So I don't see any problem with the comparison that Dr. Casey and I are making.
I think you're conflating too much here. What Arkeus stated was that turning into a LRIG was a good thing for Yuzuki, which is sort of true. Yeah, being a card sucks (as you point out), but in terms of character growth, it was a culmination point of who she was when we first met her and who she is now after all that has happened.

I'm not trying to put words in his mouth, but I think your direct comparisons mixed with his more meta level comments and produced some mixed communication signals.

Honestly guys, is it really that hard to talk about this show without invoking Madoka or its spoilers every other post?
Old 2014-06-23, 10:08   Link #873
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
I think you're conflating too much here. What Arkeus stated was that turning into a LRIG was a good thing for Yuzuki, which is sort of true. Yeah, being a card sucks (as you point out), but in terms of character growth, it was a culmination point of who she was when we first met her and who she is now after all that has happened.
I still say she would have scammed her selector had it been a random stranger

and I'm not convinced that her story is over yet. Especially if the does somehow manage to get out of the card again.
Old 2014-06-23, 10:19   Link #874
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

I'm not trying to put words in his mouth, but I think your direct comparisons mixed with his more meta level comments and produced some mixed communication signals.
Yeah, you're probably right.

Anyway, I covered the comparisons I wanted to make, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 2014-06-24, 05:25   Link #875
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I think you, and many other people, are seeing why they want to see. Self aware? Perhaps. It's not like Madoka is some unknown title. But riding the success by using the same vibes and similar plot points? Same vibes? I guess. But putting girls through a meat grinder isn't something Madoka invented. More so, Madoka was about turning the Magical Girl genre tropes on their head, playing with them and seeing what resulted (something I think even Shaft forgot when writing the third movie). But similar plot points? I think people are looking at "magical wishes, young girls suffering" and then seeing whatever they want. Just look at the picture a few pages back trying (and failing) to compare this to Black Rock Shooter.
I don't think the similarities can be dismissed that easily:
Spoiler for Madoka Magica:
I'm pretty sure you can think of other anime that have this exact plotline (though I can't) but I can't exactly consider it coincidental when such a similar plotline appears in an anime right after a ground breaking commercial success that had that exact plot line.

And you are right that Madoka wasn't the first to have "cute girls suffering" as a plotline but I think it's fair to say that its success has popularised it which sounds totally logical to me. The anime industry is an industry nonetheless and I'd be surprised if studios/producers didn't capitalise on commercial successes. Currently airing Gokukoku no Brynhildr also features "cute girls suffering" and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it was adapted was to capitalise on a new commercial trend even if the mangaka has a history of doing that thing way before Madoka Magica. However...

Quote:
Ru's wish failing is not the show trying to break away from Madoka comparisons. It's a consequence of the story: Ru got ahead of herself. Did she really want the wish, or was she doing it because it was what a good person would wish for? Was she really thinking about Tama and what she wanted, or forcing a burden on Tama because she chose to be a martyr? In short, was Ru being a good person, or was she being selfish? This is a person who has basically been going through the motions all her life....and suddenly she's willing to throw away her life for the sake of others? Hrm.

I'm not saying the show can't be compared to Madoka, but I personally do not see the show as an attempt to clone Madoka or its success as shamelessly as some people seem to believe.

There's nothing wrong with being inspired by or following in the footsteps of others. After all, Madoka did that too.
I can admit that maybe I have been a bit cynical in my interpretations. Upon further reflection I think the original reason I believed WIXOSS was a shameless commercial trend rider was because I originally believed the show was created to advertise and sell card games, meaning that the story would be tightly controlled by the producers who are more commercially minded, making it far more likely that the Madoka vibes originated from them as well. Of course we later learned that the card game was actually just a product placement and that the story seems to be controlled by the director/writers, but I never thought to re-evaluate where the Madoka vibes were coming from. If it is really originating from the director/writers then I'm more inclined to see it as "influence" rather than cynical trend riding. Of course technically the director/writers could be just as commercially minded but I'm also more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt since they didn't focus on the card game and it's Mari-freaking-Okada.

Quote:
Now will Wixoss be better than Madoka? That's impossible to say for now and even after it ends the answer will be subjective. Especially if the show continues to forge its own identity.

Keep in mind that the actual reasons the wish system existed weren't revealed until the show was nearly done. And you don't get all of the information right away either - it's spread out over three episodes (more, if you've paid attention to all of the foreshadowing) as you see the truth revealed from different viewpoints.

Your sentiment is very similar to Triple R's:

Which, again, recognizes that we just don't have a full picture yet. Madoka has the benefit of a completed television series and three feature length films, in addition to years of explanations from the staff in interviews and other social media, three manga books, video games, etc. Not to mention a huge fanbase that has theorycrafted damn near everything about the franchise.

Go back to say, episode 6 of Madoka before any of this existed, and think about how people treated the show before it really blew up and became big. Opinions were a lot different at that point.

Also, Grandma is a red herring. Since we're still comparing this show to Madoka, she's the equivalent to all of the crazy theories about the black cat.
I don't think Madoka Magica benefited from any unfair advantage when it came to explaining the magic system. We at least knew the superficial reasons as early as episode two: witches existed and were a threat to the common people and thus Magical Girls were created to combat them. The increasing suffering could've simply been seen as an extension of that superficial reason and that reality was just gritty and less glamorous than they believed (at least up until they discovered
). But in WIXOSS the cruelty doesn't make any damn sense. I get that the desire to have your wish granted can bring out the worst in some people which does explain some of the bullshit they put up with, but there's no effort to explain why the magical card game system itself has to be so God damn cruel and often times it just feels pointlessly so. Why does Hitoe have to be denied the ability to make friends so severely? Why is Akira scarred on the face? Why is created so that the wish is only granted through the LRIG becoming the wisher? Who benefits from this kind of system? Now of course there could be explanations for this later (and you could even speculate on some of them now) but I don't think that stops it from hurting the show imo. In contrast, whenever there was a particularly cruel revelation about the magic system in Madoka, Kyuubey would always explain it in the very next episode.

Quote:
I definitely think WIXOSS is influenced/inspired by Madoka Magica, and probably is hoping it can tap into the same audience that made Madoka Magica a massive commercial success.

However, two points:

1. Why do people seem to consider this a bad thing? It seems to me that anime is pretty consistently an entertainment industry shaped by market leaders. I don't think it's a coincidence that "cute girls doing cute things" shows really took off after K-On. I don't think it's a coincidence that incest is just about everywhere nowadays after the success of Ore no Imouto. So why should Madoka Magica be any different? What I find really strange is that people who probably liked Madoka Magica more than most other market leaders seem to complain the most when this sort of influencing happens with Madoka Magica. If you liked Madoka Magica more than Ore no Imouto or K-On or Infinite Stratos or some other market leader, wouldn't you rather see Madoka Magica be the influential anime of the day instead of one of those other market leaders? I love Madoka Magica, so naturally I think it's great that it's influencing other anime shows. In my view, that means more high-quality writing; that means more serious thought-provoking stories with minimal reliance on fanservice; that means more shows that are great for speculation as WIXOSS is.
I don't think that it's a bad thing and if it is just an "influence" thing then I'm willing to give it a bit more leeway here. I guess maybe my other problems with the show were exacerbating this perspective of mine, but I do admit that I was a little quick to judge.

However, I would like to also point out that there can be a fine line between "influence" and "unintentional rip off". I don't think WIXOSS is the latter: I just want to point out that great commercial successes by anime that you like can also be a double edged sword. I still like superhero films but I also often feel like the film industry is practically swimming in it now.

Quote:
It's so funny I'm about to disagree with you on this. I mean, you're the big Okada fan and I'm a hardcore Madoka Magica fan, and yet here I am saying that I think Okada might actually be beating Gen at his own game (while you're saying her writing in this show doesn't match up to Gen's writing in PMMM). You'd think your position would be mine, and vice versa, lol.
Lol. Well needless to say, I don't think this is one of Okada's better works but there you go. The irony is certainly there.

Last edited by Solace; 2014-06-24 at 05:51. Reason: White text can still be seen on other forum themes. Added tag.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 06:25   Link #876
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I can't exactly consider it coincidental when such a similar plotline appears in an anime right after a ground breaking commercial success that had that exact plot line.

And you are right that Madoka wasn't the first to have "cute girls suffering" as a plotline but I think it's fair to say that its success has popularised it which sounds totally logical to me. The anime industry is an industry nonetheless and I'd be surprised if studios/producers didn't capitalise on commercial successes.
Nope, you're absolutely right. I agree with you that Madoka opened up the door to similar themed shows. It's not a coincidence that a few years after it became a hit, we've had a few similar themed shows (mediocre ones, imo). But none of them have seemed to be rip offs so much as studios going "Hey, people liked that Madoka thing, right? We'll give your idea a shot." But I think Wixoss is the first one to actually be good, so far. It's a shame because I think Day Break Illusion had a lot of potential, but it was all over the map and never really went anywhere.

Quote:
Of course technically the director/writers could be just as commercially minded but I'm also more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt since they didn't focus on the card game and it's Mari-freaking-Okada.
It's true they could have gone the "easy" route of making another Yugioh clone. But I think the choice to not do that, and go this route instead, has actually been the smarter option. The card game is doing great, there are two spinoff manga coming (both done by Okada), and the show is getting good reviews with a second season coming. In terms of franchise building, they're off to a good start.

I don't think you're wrong to feel cynicism (I mean, these companies do this for the money, let's be honest), but I'm happy you're not the type of person to dig their heels into an opinion and drag everyone with you. Being open to reevaluating your opinions is a good thing.

Quote:
In contrast, whenever there was a particularly cruel revelation about the magic system in Madoka, Kyuubey would always explain it in the very next episode.
True, that is one big difference. But I think that's also the difference between telling a story in one cour versus two (or more). I would also say that compared to a lot of shows, Madoka was excellent at pacing and knowing when to hold or share information. Of course, it never seemed like that when it was still airing new episodes.

The other major difference is that there is no Kyuubey type of character in this show. Not directly, at least. You'll never get a straight answer from the LRIGs (because they are forced into lying, minus Yuzuki who did it with great risk), and you don't get to talk to Mayu, she talks to you. So that convenient explanation the next episode from your friendly creepy mascot character isn't something you can replicate here.
Old 2014-06-26, 18:48   Link #877
cleo

With a premisse of a grim-dark series about cute girls and a wish system, people are bound to compare it with Madoka. Mari Okada isn't stupid, she knows that as well. And I wouldn't be surprised at all, if she borrowed elements from Madoka and used it to put viewers on the wrong foot. I certainly got that impression when they suddenly changed the announcement from being 2-cours to being a 1-cour series, in combination with Ruuko's wish. It looked like we were going for a Madoka-like ending, but then Okada made it clear that Wixoss isn't the same. Of-course that's just my interpretation, but seen that way it's quite clever.
Quote:
Looking further, it appears that Mayu is intentionally manipulating the system. [snip] The question is, what is the point of this system? Is Mayu the "monster" that created it and benefits from it, or is she another victim, albeit one with a particular role?
With those gates, it looks to me like she's a (special?) Lrig locked up there.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 20:46   Link #878
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
With those gates, it looks to me like she's a (special?) Lrig locked up there.
Maybe something bad would have happened if she was released. Maybe the system exists to keep her locked up.
Old 2014-06-28, 13:19   Link #879
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

I just marathoned all of the episodes since I saw amazing reactions to the finale about a week or so ago...

Wow, that was pretty fantastic. Now I really want to know what is going on.

My reaction was:

That's much better than what I had been expecting. At least from my biased perspective, I thought this was much better than Madoka Magica.

This is the first anime I've seen in a while that I extremely like because it is creative and innovative.

This is definitely not a Madoka Clone. It's definitely responding to Madoka though.

Those were all 10/10 episodes. That was fantastic. This is certainly in my top 5 list of anime, maybe my top 3.

I can't wait for Fall and season 2!

And to think that I hesitated to watch this because I thought it would be too depressing and because it would be like a card game... now I see why it's so hard for anyone who has seen this to try to sell the show... it's basically impossible to sell it without spoiling it... everything, especially every detail of every image in the opening and ending was calculated out so well... that was really enjoyable!

Last edited by dniv; 2014-06-28 at 15:37.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 22:33   Link #880
MarkS00N

To me, Wixoss is something comes from a person who disagree with the point that Madoka try to gives us: the necessity of sacrifice...

Spoiler for Comparison to Madoka Magica:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-06-29 at 18:18. Reason: added spoiler tags for entirety of comparison
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, proxy battles