AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-09, 13:02   Link #641
sikvod00

Hmm. So perhaps the biting cynicism and sarcastic comments we've come to love and expect from our female protagonist is at least partially the result of a lonely childhood?
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 14:58   Link #642
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
End of the World Party 11 - A Premise From Beyond the Selection Point

Maybe I shouldn't have asked for that. I thought last week was the start of things, but it turns out we can always go one step further back, to Mai's school days. And wow, that is a seriously depressing set of school days. Normally, a worn-down school building would have a sort of rustic charm to it, but this looks like it's one step away from being a haunted house. Seeing Y(umeria) again was nice, though. I was kind of hoping for more riddles. Kanemoto's character... I'll call her Asteria, while a little pushy on the friendship thing, seems relatively well-adjusted by anime standards.

She may not know about the fairies, and she is providing Mai with someone to talk to and... well, I can rule out lifelong friendships. She's never going to reappear in the series. It's looking more and more like Mai's existential loneliness is really her own fault, and I think she's the abnormal one here. I pity her. And the thing is, we haven't even seen what the fairies have done yet. Though, that Kanemoto voices the fairies at times, and voices Asteria, is suspicious.
I wouldn't write off the "lifelong friend" thing just yet. Didn't the episode start off with some present day setup for the flashback? Saying that Watashi would be receiving a rare visit from an old friend. If not Y, then certainly I would presume that to be Kanemoto's character (so the blond girl was Kanemoto? That's pleasant to know. I generally like quite a few of her characters, regardless of the recent seiyuu hubbub/scandal surrounding her).

Much as some viewers seem to have been caught up in shipping Watashi with assistant-san, I am going to take the opportunity over these two episodes to indulge in some delusions of girls' love, lol. Aside from the new girl, I am interested in seeing how (given their rough start) Watashi ended up getting where she is in her friendship with Y as well.

Incidentally, while some parts of Watashi's school life were obviously difficult, I have to say I would hesitate to extend any of those characterization aspects into negative commentary on her present-day cynicism or level of happiness. My impression of Watashi's present life is that she is happy and well-adjusted, regardless of any cynicism she shows towards the declining world or present state of society. Periods of discomfort/uncertainty and loneliness are pretty natural things in the formative years of adolescence/childhood, but I have no doubt as of the end of the period of time depicted in this episode (ep. 11) that things were already looking up for Watashi and the enjoyability of her school memories.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 17:14   Link #643
Random Wanderer

Watashi seemed rather paranoid and cynical. Unfortunately, closing oneself off from all relationships is not a good way to protect oneself from the hazing of being a newcomer. People aren't meant to be completely alone.

...How did someone manage to steal Curly's skirt off of her? Also, she went disturbingly stalkerish at the end.

Watashi's a lot cooler-headed than me. I probably would have gotten violent with Y when she revealed she was the one behind the lock, and then acted like a bitch. Also probably would have done something unpleasant to one of those bratty boys in the cafeteria.

I'm not certain she was right about Curly's motivations, though.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 17:18   Link #644
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
End of the World Party 11 - A Premise From Beyond the Selection Point

And wow, that is a seriously depressing set of school days. Normally, a worn-down school building would have a sort of rustic charm to it, but this looks like it's one step away from being a haunted house. Seeing Y(umeria) again was nice, though. I was kind of hoping for more riddles.
Watashi has probably read a lot of shoujo mangas and knows what goes on at that sort of school -- the yuri romances, the petty bickering and cliques, the swordfights and she decided quite early on that she wasn't going to play hence her abandonment of the riddle game after solving the first one failed to produce the promised key.

Wild speculation -- the "old friend" she's expecting for a visit is

Spoiler for Who could it be?:
Old 2012-09-09, 18:45   Link #645
SQA

I'm rather concerned about the impending joke about what the Fairy did/has done/changed about Watashi. There's a facepalm moment coming in ep 12 that should be great. I just don't know what it is.

Oh, and we now understand the Fairies really well: It's the Crack!
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 21:13   Link #646
whitecloud

the fairy gone after granting wish and after that watashi dont ever remember the said fairy..

so basically the fairy dies after wish granting.., erased from existence?
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 00:20   Link #647
Qilin
Romanticist

Yep, yep. Here we have yet another possible reason for humanity's decline: the plague of conformism, that is to say the persistent social pressure of fitting in with everyone else. The alternative, or course, is being ostracized or bullied by the greater majority. I hear it's particularly bad over there in Japan. In fact, I think this episode showcases it quite well.

That aside, I'm glad this show took the time to explore Watashi's character with this arc, and it seems that she was already pretty cynical as a child. Still, it took me off-guard when Curly started getting all clingy and intimate all of a sudden. I'm sensing an ulterior motive here... perhaps of the "yuri" persuasion?

Well, anyway that "white powder" bit was good for a laugh. Now we know what really gets the fairies going.
Old 2012-09-10, 00:58   Link #648
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I never get tired of all this talk about drugs, crack and dope in this anime it's especially funny when the fairies are the one making the reference.

Aww, our poor heroine had quite a troubled childhood and I can see why her current personality is the way it is.
Old 2012-09-10, 04:17   Link #649
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Wild speculation -- the "old friend" she's expecting for a visit is

Spoiler for Who could it be?:
That would be a great twist, but she was drinking a cup of tea with a rose in it which implies it's going to be someone from the rose mansion.
Old 2012-09-10, 04:41   Link #650
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
which implies it's going to be someone from the rose mansion.
That's what they would like you to think...
Old 2012-09-10, 05:12   Link #651
Lukeman1884

Hmm. Girl tries repeatedly to get into your life. Girl explodes into joy after you do one nice thing for her. Girl forces herself into your house. Am I the only one seeing a stalker in the making?
Also, Watashi's paranoia seems to me like the result of something which would have traumatized her in her past. Maybe another friend betraying her in some way? I'm certainly looking forward to how she gets past it next ep, and especially how her relationship with Y develops. How they were back in the fujoshi arc is certainly not what is shown here.
And did anyone else find it creepy the way the black-haired girl touched Watashi's hair at the tea party? Not generally something you do when first meeting someone.
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 07:58   Link #652
Dop
Mmmm....

I just loved the parody of yuri tropes towards the end, when Watashi arrived at the Wild Rose Society I was expecting everyone to start saying "Gokigenyou", which made it even better when Watashi's first question was "How do I quit?"
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 08:34   Link #653
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
Hmm. Girl tries repeatedly to get into your life. Girl explodes into joy after you do one nice thing for her. Girl forces herself into your house. Am I the only one seeing a stalker in the making?
She forged Watashi's signature to move in with her, she's already deep into stalker zone.

I was surprised with Y's antagonism, she didn't come across as the bullying type during her arc.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 08:40   Link #654
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ep.11

so this show main's life in school give being victim of target like called broom-head by Y & being bullied.

give main more focus on study & etc climb up more grades give that blonde curly want main.

then one day main a fairy to save from bullies some talk & give white stuff that fairy like give one day it will disappear.

but truth is main want friends cause she don't want to be lonely so fairy make a wish with main then poof now main in upper grade give blonde curly now in same grade with main still want main to be friends.

yet main decide just a bit sure give her skirt back from recover by robot to curly as roommate & now tea club to join with main going like how can i quit?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 09:18   Link #655
Ridwan

Frankly, I have been interested in what kind of past Watashi had, but I'm kinda dissatiated that it's being put at the end of the series and over-shadowing the large role Assistant suspposedly has in Watashi's life by adding in yuri tease. This better be not the last arc being animated.
Old 2012-09-10, 11:06   Link #656
Ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
This better be not the last arc being animated.
Unless someone decides to produce another cours, I'm presuming that the next episode will finish the arc and series. The six Blu-rays listed on Amazon each seem to have only two episodes...
Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 13:36   Link #657
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Watashi's cynicism bites like acid. It's apparently her way of protecting her from outside influences, though it makes no distinction between good or bad ones. Something tells me her childhood wasn't exactly rosy, either.

I guess the fairy turned the blond girl from someone who liked Watashi to her own personal stalker. I wonder how our MC is gonna handle that.
Old 2012-09-10, 14:04   Link #658
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I guess the fairy turned the blond girl from someone who liked Watashi to her own personal stalker. I wonder how our MC is gonna handle that.
I think the fairy turned itself into a copy of the blonde girl. The timing makes sense, her personality matches, and it explains why she wants to move in with Watashi.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 16:45   Link #659
myopius

Am I the only one who thought, given that the fairy said it would disappear soon and then disappeared after granting Watashi's wish to not be alone, that (wild speculation, I haven't read the novels)
Spoiler:

But I still don't understand the significance of the horse head (or the reason that Watashi is like this) so maybe that will be covered in the last episode...
myopius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 09:07   Link #660
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Watashi's cynicism bites like acid. It's apparently her way of protecting her from outside influences, though it makes no distinction between good or bad ones. Something tells me her childhood wasn't exactly rosy, either.

I doubt that, fairies may mess with people on a regular basis but they have never outright messed with people's heads before. Such sinister manipulation is uncharacteristic of them.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen