Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-07-31, 03:04   Link #41
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
^Well I actually do know what they mean having a book explaining it sitting right next to me...Also had a discussion about it in-depth on the forums...

I was just being cute ...So thanx for ruining that^^...
I knew you know what they mean, but we should let more people know how cool those names are

Oh and I forgot about Virsago, Ashtaron as well, both sounds pretty good.

But Virsago Chestbreak and Ashtaron Hermit Crab feels weird.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 03:08   Link #42
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Physalis BTW is a type of plant native to warm and subtropical regions throughout the world. It produces a small orange fruit similar to a small tomato (like you thought)...What that has to do with a Blocky-looking insanley BOOZAKA-CHARGED awesome oldtype piloted suit is anyones guess...
Old 2006-07-31, 04:12   Link #43
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
What that has to do with a Blocky-looking insanley BOOZAKA-CHARGED awesome oldtype piloted suit is anyones guess...
Just about as much as 'Whistler' has anything to do with 'Exprience.'

Though, the clear logical reasoning is that they're trying not to exhaust away the cool names available for Gundams, which was why G Gundam could've capitalised on so many cool names from each nation's origins...like Malaysia could've gotten Aurea Gundam, or even Sabaracus Gundam. Instead, it's....skull. Malaysia doesn't even have anything to do with skull, minus the fact that some of Malaysian's aborigines descended from pirates....

There should had been a Tetrastigma Gundam in 0083. Or at least F91.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 13:49   Link #44
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Well actually I do know what the names mean

I love the GP series names as well, they are all scientific names of flowers and plants:

Zephyranthes: The lily family.

Physalis: I think its some familiy of fruit that grows on the ground, tomatoes and such.

Dendrobium Orchis and Stamen: The most interesting Gundam name we have here. Dendrobium is a large genus of flowers and includes Orchids. Dendrobium Orchis means a Dendrobium Orchid. Stamen is the part of a flower that has pollen, probably one of the most important part of a flower, its the purpose of why the flower even exists, to spread pollen. GP-03S is named Dendrobium Stamen because it is the most important part of the entire Dendrobium Orchis.

Gerbera: The daisy family
What's also pretty ironic with the names is the fact that they were made during the reconstruction of the Earth Federation Army...like a dead flower's seedlings growing back up into fully-bloomed flowers.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 15:38   Link #45
Huhtis
Keron will rise!

Favorite Gundam/MS names, me edition:

Ground Gundam: As name says it, itīs Ground-use Gundam.

Dom Tropen: Dom at first doesnt sound anything special, but when you add Tropen in there it sounds like German slaughter machine, horror of all MS.

GP-Series: They sound great names for prototype suits, especially already mentioned "Full Vernian"

Project F91
: Sounds neat

Victory series: It has that "our last hope" name given to mobile suit.

GAT-X Series
: Really nice names, favourite is EAF nickname for them: G-Weapons
Huhtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 19:10   Link #46
vblaze101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Well, technically, it wasn't the numbers that made him famous, but the feat he pulled off.

He, more or less, single-handedly held of all the Federation Forces chasing them down while they were withdrawing from Solomon (minor assistance from Karius) which basically "haunts" the minds of the Federation Forces that witnessed it (or survived somehow). Of course, any in-depth information is unavailable aside from what video games made up for them...(in this case, Encounters in Space, which show him with a custom Rick Dom with a Beam Bazooka)
Ahh, yes. I completely forgot. But I guess I'll have to check out that one site again. I can't remember if Anavel was in the top 8 Zeon list or not.

Quote:
Lets not forget LEGEND was orginally intended for Athrun...And as we all know instead of hopping into that supped-up PROVIDENCE Jr. which he could have used to escape (if he were smart), he chose a slightly less discreet method ...
Well, we know why Athrun would be considered a Legend....since he defeated the Strike. Still, I don't think Athrun's feat was as hyped as those of his UC counterpart(s). But meh.

And about Gundam Physalis..................you know, I've always waited in vain for someone to say, "Physalis?!?! Ain't that VD?!?!" But alas...............
vblaze101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 19:19   Link #47
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Question

Am I the only one who thinks that Providence refers to the Eye of the Providence, the eye of God which oversees everything? Kinda fitting for Raww Le Klueze, seemingly as he was the catalyst and the overseer of the genocide that occurs during the last half the the Bloody Valentine War, from ignoring Cyclops, leaking N-Jammer technology and indirectly causing the safe-lock of Genesis removed.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 19:24   Link #48
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Am I the only one who thinks that Providence refers to the Eye of the Providence, the eye of God which oversees everything? Kinda fitting for Raww Le Klueze, seemingly as he was the catalyst and the overseer of the genocide that occurs during the last half the the Bloody Valentine War, from ignoring Cyclops, leaking N-Jammer technology and indirectly causing the safe-lock of Genesis removed.
I view it in a similar way, but simpler, Providence is just providence.

Providence is the guiding power of god.

Raww wanted to destroy all humans, for they tried to play god, creating 'monsters' like him. He thinks humans are too proud, searching for an endless dream, the dream to become God.

Raww said that he will be the judge, he will judge humanity and his verdict is that all humans must be destroyed.

He is playing god himself here, he lead the world into the war, thats his providence.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 20:08   Link #49
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Quote:
I view it in a similar way, but simpler, Providence is just providence.

Providence is the guiding power of god.

Raww wanted to destroy all humans, for they tried to play god, creating 'monsters' like him. He thinks humans are too proud, searching for an endless dream, the dream to become God.

Raww said that he will be the judge, he will judge humanity and his verdict is that all humans must be destroyed.

He is playing god himself here, he lead the world into the war, thats his providence.
That's what's so symbolic with these C.E names.
The Providence was eventually overcome (but not without struggle) by Freedom, with a pilot like Kira who was willing to give mankind a chance and still had hope for the future.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 21:21   Link #50
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
I think it's quite ironic that Rau deems himself worthy and almost absolved from it all as he was created by humans to further advance their level to a God-status(In Rau's mind that is)...It's like you want to be God then let me be the God (you have created) to judge you...Providence also is loosley meant to be a haven protected by God's mercy...It's fitting that the Gundam named PROVIDENCE would be trying to reach that goal but by a gravely skewed interpretation (Where the death of all those seeking salvation is the true providence--Is a true place of mercy)...It's some really raw-stuff (pun not intended)...A galaxy where mankind's genocide creates a better-world...
Old 2006-08-01, 04:27   Link #51
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Nu Gundam (I mean you could have said "new", but lets just give it a cooler name by letting Amuro use ebonic slang )
It's the Greek letter, not an alternate spelling of "New".
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 06:37   Link #52
nightbringer360

Quite a few of the Gundams in UC pre F-91 era were named after greek letters.

Zeta is a greek letter, as is Xi (see Hathaway's Flash).

The S Gundam was originally named Iota Gundam.

Incidentally, my favourite MS names are MSV ones.

Ex-S Gundam, that just evokes power by itself. Then combine it with the image and you have one powerful name. After reading some of Crossbone Gundam (and playing as them in Climax UC), the name also stands as one of the coolest in my book.
nightbringer360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 06:44   Link #53
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
It's the Greek letter, not an alternate spelling of "New".
Hello srb...we've been watching you...This is the joke-police, you are under-arrest for taking this joke seriously xD...
Old 2006-08-01, 07:30   Link #54
srb
I can see time itself!

Quote:
Hello srb...we've been watching you...This is the joke-police, you are under-arrest for taking this joke seriously xD...
Well, you confused me by explaining that you knew of the GP names but there was no mention of the Nu there .

Well nightbringer, there's really no point arguing about something called the Extraordinary Superior Gundam. That's a kick-ass name, but I'm partial to the original five CE Gundam names since their code names are also descriptions of their roles - Duel's up front, Buster is busting stuff with its guns, Aegis acts as the commander and protector of the others, Blitz performs blitz attacks, and Strike is on strike due to a too demanding work load.
Old 2006-08-01, 08:17   Link #55
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Awesome names:
  • Epyon - same reason the thread starter used.
  • FAZZ - can't really explain, it just sounds badass.
  • Temjin Gundam - Two cool names on their own combined.
  • Crossbone Gundam - arrrr!!!
  • Kaiser - Too bad it got replaced by Spiegel...
  • Burning - somehow, it sounds better than "god gundam"

Dumb\weird names:
  • Penelope - kinda reminds me of hamtaro.
  • Dendrobium (or however you spell it) - too hard to pronounce and spell. :/
  • Vigna Ghina - Not a gundam, but still, they should just get straight to the point.

Would be cool names:
  • Omega - suprised its never been used (at least I don't know of one)
  • Tyrant - I was going to make my own manga\comic about it, but then figured that I'm just not good at drawing gundams with correct proportions...
  • Nova\Supernova - " "

Quote:
Oh and I forgot about Virsago, Ashtaron as well, both sounds pretty good.

But Virsago Chestbreak and Ashtaron Hermit Crab feels weird.
Chestbreak doesn't sound so bad, but it does make it sound weird and unnatural. Hermit Crab is just dumb.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 08:56   Link #56
shaolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu
Omega - suprised its never been used (at least I don't know of one)
Not offically, but that is the fanfic name for my gundam. It is too bad that I can't show in because my scanner isn't working.
shaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 13:24   Link #57
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Curious, what does Mercurius and Vayeate mean?

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 17:00   Link #58
srb
I can see time itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper
Curious, what does Mercurius and Vayeate mean?
Mercurius is named after the Roman God, as is the planet Mercury. As for Vayeate, no idea.
Old 2006-08-01, 19:54   Link #59
vblaze101

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Mercurius is named after the Roman God, as is the planet Mercury. As for Vayeate, no idea.
Ahh man, I bits been a while since I saw that website, but if I remember right, it said that Mercurius is Greek, meaning something like "speaker" or "orator". But hmmm.....then again, since you did say Mercury, I guess it does tie in with that site's explanation behind Mercurius.
vblaze101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 20:09   Link #60
srb
I can see time itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblaze101
Ahh man, I bits been a while since I saw that website, but if I remember right, it said that Mercurius is Greek, meaning something like "speaker" or "orator". But hmmm.....then again, since you did say Mercury, I guess it does tie in with that site's explanation behind Mercurius.
Mercurius is the Roman adaptation of Hermes from the Greek pantheon. The word Mercurius isn't greek, so I don't know what that site could have said.