Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-27, 07:59   Link #41
Mikoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Y'know i wonder if Oda redesigned Big Mom a bit since the end of water 7. In her original silhouette picture, she had a pointer nose, flat teeth, her eyes looked a bit closer together and what looked to be a more normal head... She looks WAY more grotesque now
Maybe she was in DF form or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
i hope it turns to a cook-off instead of a fight. where sanji has to make something so delicious that she gives fishman island to him in return for the receipe
Of course we need to see strong people fighting. It's One Piece after all
Old 2011-12-27, 08:11   Link #42
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

also i wondering. what is the point they have Big Mom name the fact that big mom cannot defend their island when it get attacked

Old 2011-12-27, 09:33   Link #43
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
also i wondering. what is the point they have Big Mom name the fact that big mom cannot defend their island when it get attacked
the flag is probably just for show. the fishmen entered into an agreement with her thinking that she would really be there to protect them in exchange for sweets. but i doubt big mam really wanted to protect fishman island unless it was invaded by another group of pirates wanting to make it their own turf. hody isn't exactly an outsider, he is a fishman himself and the trouble he caused can be likened to a civil war. i doubt big mam would care much about their political and social issues as long as she gets her sweets and fishman island continues to be part of her territory.
Old 2011-12-27, 10:09   Link #44
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

By the way they talked about it, it's obvious that if an outside force does something to FI they will suffer retaliation, however an internal struggle is none of their business.
It makes sense really...they protect the island (simply saying it's her turf will make anyone behave) from pirates but not from other islanders as long as they get what they want.
Old 2011-12-27, 10:34   Link #45
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallwacker View Post
I got a feeling she has some sort of acidic paramecia or zoan DF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Big Mom has a bee zoan DF, shes like the queen of the hive.

You heard it here first.

Actually, an acid DF seems to be the most popular theory circulating around, and I'm inclined to agree with it. I mean, when Charlotte ate her crewman you can see smoke billowing from her saliva, and not to mention that she even says that she had trouble controlling her stomach acids. So yeah, looks like acid may be the best bet at this point (though I still kinda wished that she were a tree logia....).

Quote:
Y'know i wonder if Oda redesigned Big Mom a bit since the end of water 7. In her original silhouette picture, she had a pointer nose, flat teeth, her eyes looked a bit closer together and what looked to be a more normal head... She looks WAY more grotesque now

Well, it's been like 5 years since we saw the Big Mom silhouette in Water 7, so I don't find it surprising that Oda would evolve her design over that time. The same should hold true for Kaidou as well, when he's eventually introduced.....

Actually, thinking about it, Big Mom's intro is kinda reminding me of when we first saw Moria at Thriller Bark. Recall at that time he was also partially shadowed and somehow seemed to be a lot bigger than he actually was. And not to mention that he didn't have the fanglike teeth that we're more familiar with. So I guess I'm wondering if we'll see another slight change in Charlotte's design once she's fully unveiled....?
Old 2011-12-27, 11:18   Link #46
White Silver King
The Isley

Quote:
It was an internal problem, their agreement probably didn't cover that.

Anyway, I'm guessing we have our new villain for the New World (besides Doflamingo and Akainu). I'm guessing Luffy is going to take Big Mom's Yonkou seat, or at least be offered it when he beats her. The fact that she actually eats her subordinates sealed the deal.

On a side note, it seems Kidd has become a really big deal in the New World. For him to attack two Yonkou treasure ships and there be no retaliation, he must have grown a lot.
Old 2011-12-27, 11:23   Link #47
Slayerx

Heh, I want to see the look on Nami's face when she finds out Luffy declared war on Yonkou; she's always wanting for Luffy to avoid doing such things. But one look at that treasure will probably wash away her frustrations. Heh, what would be worse is If Luffy had pulled off the agreement to give away all of the fishman treasure

Quote:
Its more of a deterrent than immediate protection. The same went with Whitebeard. Fact is unless they have some kind of forward knowledge that an attack is going to happen there is no way Whitebeard or Big Mom could ever show up in time to stop the attack. However, their protection insures that anyone who DOES attack the island will face retribution; mess with their territory and they will hunt you down and make you pay. For instance, Caribou, if he had gotten away with the mermaids or the treasure might have had to face Big Mom's wrath; this might also include the possibility of Big Mom returning what was stolen (though that's more iffy... Whitebeard probably would have gone through the extra trouble)). So basically, the vast majority of pirates will leave the island alone out of fear of the yonkou. Only way someone would mess with Fishman island, is if they were stupid/strong enough to declare war on Big Mom (like Luffy )...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Well, it's been like 5 years since we saw the Big Mom silhouette in Water 7, so I don't find it surprising that Oda would evolve her design over that time. The same should hold true for Kaidou as well, when he's eventually introduced.....

Actually, thinking about it, Big Mom's intro is kinda reminding me of when we first saw Moria at Thriller Bark. Recall at that time he was also partially shadowed and somehow seemed to be a lot bigger than he actually was. And not to mention that he didn't have the fanglike teeth that we're more familiar with. So I guess I'm wondering if we'll see another slight change in Charlotte's design once she's fully unveiled....?
Actually I just read something from the SBS when someone was talking about Catarina Devon's design; namely asking why she did not look pretty like in some of the sketches that Oda had in one piece green. There Oda mention that he sometimes spends years redesigning the characters before their formal introduction

Last edited by Slayerx; 2011-12-27 at 11:34.
Old 2011-12-27, 11:29   Link #48
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
the flag is probably just for show. the fishmen entered into an agreement with her thinking that she would really be there to protect them in exchange for sweets. but i doubt big mam really wanted to protect fishman island unless it was invaded by another group of pirates wanting to make it their own turf. hody isn't exactly an outsider, he is a fishman himself and the trouble he caused can be likened to a civil war. i doubt big mam would care much about their political and social issues as long as she gets her sweets and fishman island continues to be part of her territory.
well i just found it strange why Big mom not bother to defend it's own factory

Old 2011-12-27, 11:57   Link #49
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
As much as I like Sanji's cooking, there's still the matter of Ms.IpredictTheFuture saying Strawhat is responsible for the island's destruction. I expect Big Mom to follow through with Luffy's bluff.
Old 2011-12-27, 11:59   Link #50
marvelB

Quote:
Actually I just read something from the SBS when someone was talking about Catarina Devon's design; namely asking why she did not look pretty like in some of the sketches that Oda had in one piece green. There Oda mention that he sometimes spends years redesigning the characters before their formal introduction

Yes, I had Catarina in mind when I made that post, as well. In fact, an even better example to use would be Hancock, whose early design was shown on a color page nearly a decade before being properly introduced.

Quote:
well i just found it strange why Big mom not bother to defend it's own factory
It's not strange at all. As others already indicated, Big Mom treats her protection more like a "business" than anything. Or to put it in another perspective, imagine that Charlotte is a mafia boss who demands payment from a shop owner for "protection" or else she'll burn down his store. That's EXACTLY how her agreement with mermaid island works. Whitebeard was different because he didn't ask for any favors in return for protection (neither would Luffy for that matter), but this chapter proved that Big Mama is a cruel, sadistic elephant lady who'd gladly wreck a country over something as trivial as candy. So it should be no surprise that she wouldn't keep her own men on patrol near the candy factory if they're busy razing other countries that failed to repay their debt....
Old 2011-12-27, 12:32   Link #51
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
It's not strange at all. As others already indicated, Big Mom treats her protection more like a "business" than anything. Or to put it in another perspective, imagine that Charlotte is a mafia boss who demands payment from a shop owner for "protection" or else she'll burn down his store. That's EXACTLY how her agreement with mermaid island works. Whitebeard was different because he didn't ask for any favors in return for protection (neither would Luffy for that matter), but this chapter proved that Big Mama is a cruel, sadistic elephant lady who'd gladly wreck a country over something as trivial as candy. So it should be no surprise that she wouldn't keep her own men on patrol near the candy factory if they're busy razing other countries that failed to repay their debt....
she might be cruel because she eats her own comrades. but i think the reason she wrecks the country is because the agreement was breached. and that to her right there is betrayal. ( regardless of what items they agreed upon). they might promise like treasure and whatnot but what truly matters to big mom is the candy is delivered on time. ( i think) (im not really sure what happens if you agree to lets say x10 the candy amount if you delay it a few days)
Old 2011-12-27, 14:25   Link #52
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Anyone else thought of a certain marine trio when Tamago talked about "Long Leg" Tribe?
Old 2011-12-27, 15:18   Link #53
marvelB

^I assume you mean the admirals? Sure, they're tall, but their legs aren't as abnormally long as Tamago's....

Actually, we've heard of the long-leg tribe before. The name appeared on a list of races of slaves to be sold in that auction during the Sabaody arc. And for the record, the other races that appeared on that list were humans, dwarves, long-arms (like Apoo or Brooke's former managers), mink-men, snake-necks, fish-people, and giants. I'd definitely assume that we'll see the rest of those unique races in the New World....
Old 2011-12-27, 16:23   Link #54
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Actually, an acid DF seems to be the most popular theory circulating around, and I'm inclined to agree with it. I mean, when Charlotte ate her crewman you can see smoke billowing from her saliva, and not to mention that she even says that she had trouble controlling her stomach acids. So yeah, looks like acid may be the best bet at this point (though I still kinda wished that she were a tree logia....).
An acid DF is too similar to Magellan's poison DF, which if I recall correctly had corrosive properties to it as well.

A bee DF would fit everything we've seen so far- the whole queen bee theme and the fact that everyone in her crew calls her 'mom', her craving for sweet things and her seemingly acidic powers (Bees have acidic stings whilst wasps have alkaline). Her flag resembles a bee flying away from a tree (pink hair = bee's body), and we haven't actually seen her body yet, only her face; she might be in bee form and that is why Oda wants to keep her hidden for now.
Old 2011-12-27, 16:27   Link #55
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I wanna see a dwarf crew now...
Old 2011-12-27, 16:32   Link #56
Rainbowman

Not much happening here but I'll see what I could come up with.

Quote:
-Chapter title is "Voice from the New World". The splash is a colorspread of the Straw-Hats as their animal counterparts.
Technically it features the Strawhats with animals that are considered as their counterparts. The title of the colourspread is "Toshio Asakuma vs. One Piece". I wonder what kind of world Toshio Asakuma is? The only members that have animals remaining the same from Oda's descriptions is Luffy with the monkey and Nami with the cat. I was surprised by the rest of the crew on the following:

Zoro- Oda classified him as a shark but there's a tiger in this case.
Usopp- Oda classified him as an armadillo but there's what looks like a chameleon in this case.
Sanji- Oda classified him as a duck but there's a ram in this case.
Robin- Oda classified her as a crane but there's what looks like a peregrine falcon in this case.
Chopper- Oda had no classification for Chopper other than reindeer yet his counterpart in this case is what looks like a red panda.
Franky- Oda classified him as a bull but there's a rhino in this case.
Brook- Oda classified him as a horse but there's a skeletal giraffe in this case which makes me wonder, is the giraffe an equine or a bovine?

Quote:
-When the monster trio locate Caribou, they discover the treasures he stole. Meanwhile, the left minister tries to negotiate with Big Mom's envoys. Soon, Luffy arrives and tells them he ate all the candy....
Hopefully those treasures they found include the Tamebaka.

Quote:
-Meanwhile, in the New World, we're introduced to the empress Big Mom, aka Charlotte Lingling. Her crew tells her that mermaid island was unable to supply her with candy, which enrages her. She calls her crew via Denden mushi, but it's Luffy who answers her call. He tells her that he ate the candy, and offers her the palace treasures as compensation. She refuses, but says that she'll target him for revenge instead of the island. Luffy accepts her challenge, and says that he'll make mermaid island HIS turf from now on....
I knew there would be a grudge match involved. We'll just see when it occurs.

Quote:
And now, to wait yet another 2 weeks for the next chapter....
In the meantime, Happy New Year's everybody.

Last edited by Rainbowman; 2011-12-27 at 17:20.
Old 2011-12-27, 16:53   Link #57
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 651
Big Mamma and her place is like a Candy Land freak show. Wonder who the three eyed women is? She seems like the total opposite of Big Mamma. Luffy Vs. Big Mamma, that should be interesting.

Yonkou Title
Luffy and his crew are going to be a hard one to gauge. He seems to be picking a fight with all powerful people, and he is not even a in the New World. I wonder if Luffy is Yonkou material? I mean look at Black Beard he made Yonkou in two years, because of the new fruit and he knew the land. Then you have Shanks who was powerful before he even met Luffy. Shanks looks like he is in his early or mid 40s. When did he make Yonkou status? Luffy is 19 years old. With the destruction and power Luffy and his crew are capable of, I wonder how fast they will make the title. Knowing Luffy he will throw the title out because he wants Pirate King.

Smoker and Cobi
Seeing Luffy and the crew advancing makes me wonder how Smoker and Cobi are? Under Garps training Cobi will have the haki concepts down just like Luffy. If Cobi takes after Garp he will have Super strength and two or three branches of haki to reinforce it. Thats not a bad combo for Cobi. Then you have Smoker, he was pretty powerful before the two years. His determination to become powerful is just has hardcore has the Straw Hats. With Armor haki and mantra smoker would be very destructive. I wonder if he can create his own weapon now? I won't be surprised if Smoker can wipe out whole fleet by himself. His Logia is pretty strong if you think about. Kizaru held Rayleigh off when his Logia powers would not cut it, and Akoiji taking Akainu on with a weaker Logia. Even with out their Logia's they are powerful fighters. Has a straight out fighter I wonder were smoker stands? I think his most powerful combo will be his Armor Haki and the Logia fruit.

Other Logia users
If Croc has survived I think he would be a good player with haki has well. That guy has a master his Logia. With some Haki to reinforce it he could do some more damage. After meeting Luffy I hope Croc has awakened his Haki. I wonder if Black Beard is Immune to the waters. I figure reducing the presence of the Devil fruit might mitigate how much the water affects a devil fruit user? I think Black Beard has the most complex and hard to use Logia Fruit out of all the ones out there. Everyone else is immune to physical attacks. Black Beard has to be careful how he uses his or it could be used against him.
Old 2011-12-27, 16:58   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

About the color page... was it the first time we saw Chopper in tanuki form without his hat on? I was pretty shocked to see that he was mostly "bald" save for a small strand of hair.
Old 2011-12-27, 17:13   Link #59
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
An acid DF is too similar to Magellan's poison DF, which if I recall correctly had corrosive properties to it as well.

While Magellan's poison is deadly indeed, it's not acidic (I once thought the same myself, but looking back at the ID chapters I can confirm that wasn't the case). That being said, Big Mom having acid powers is completely plausible, due to the things I pointed out earlier (particularly her drool).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Yonkou Title
Luffy and his crew are going to be a hard one to gauge. He seems to be picking a fight with all powerful people, and he is not even a in the New World. I wonder if Luffy is Yonkou material? I mean look at Black Beard he made Yonkou in two years, because of the new fruit and he knew the land. Then you have Shanks who was powerful before he even met Luffy. Shanks looks like he is in his early or mid 40s. When did he make Yonkou status? Luffy is 19 years old. With the destruction and power Luffy and his crew are capable of, I wonder how fast they will make the title. Knowing Luffy he will throw the title out because he wants Pirate King.

You kind of point out yourself how those other pirates became so powerful, though. Both Shanks and Blackbeard have decades of experience under their belt, and the latter was able to rise so quickly because he was already familiar with his former captain's turf. Luffy doesn't have that advantage. I very highly doubt that he would win against Big Mom if he were to fight her at this point. Like me and james were saying earlier, it would be better to see how well he'd fare against her stronger subordinates before considering his chances against the elephant lady. I mean, for all we know, those two dudes Pekom and Tamago may even be capable of creaming our rookie friend....
Old 2011-12-27, 18:17   Link #60
White Silver King
The Isley

I don't think the bee thing is right. How would that make her powerful enough to become a Yonkou? Acid? Maybe if she could use it on a HUGE scale but I agree it's too similar to Magellan.

And she wasn't in "bee form." Her legs and arms can clearly be seen as well as her skin not having any stripes like a bees would.