AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-23, 21:07   Link #1021
Joojoobees

I thought Sora no Woto was building towards something important. Now it backslides into an utterly pointless display of moe. At the outset there were those who said this show was just light-weight, moe comedy (a K-On clone). I and others challenged that, saying it had the potential to be more. We were wrong -- I was wrong. Episode 8 proves that this show doesn't want to be taken seriously.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 21:28   Link #1022
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
I thought Sora no Woto was building towards something important. Now it backslides into an utterly pointless display of moe. At the outset there were those who said this show was just light-weight, moe comedy (a K-On clone). I and others challenged that, saying it had the potential to be more. We were wrong -- I was wrong. Episode 8 proves that this show doesn't want to be taken seriously.
I really disagree, while this episode was a "Slice of life" one; the phone call, and episode preview really make it seem that the next episode will be more serious than this, especially since it appears the tank will be used in the next episode from the preview.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 21:29   Link #1023
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
I wish this series had its own forum so that those of us who enjoy the show and don't care for all the griping from people that have nothing but negativity for it could avoid being subjected to all the complaining.
Old 2010-02-23, 21:42   Link #1024
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Well, I couldn't stop laughing because there were a number of funny moments... Although not as good as the earlier episodes, I still enjoyed it and was still good.

Spoiler for Episode 8:

Rating: 8.8/10
Old 2010-02-23, 22:54   Link #1025
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
I also disagree. Within that episode, we had the priest being recalled and Rio receiving that phone call. It's just prepping us for some serious stuff later on mixed in with the slice of life.

The moe had its funny moments imo. So for me, it wasn't pointless.

And moe sells. So those with a problem with moe in this title should get over it already.
Old 2010-02-24, 00:13   Link #1026
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
And moe sells. So those with a problem with moe in this title should get over it already.
I am not against them including moe. I am against the reduction to nothing but moe. IMO that is what happened in this episode.

I just do not think anything included in this episode was worth creating an episode for it. The priest is gone -- perhaps that will turn out to be significant, but only if it has some importance in an upcoming episode. We'll have to see. Otherwise it is an irrelevant bit of trivia. This is why I believe this episode was filler, and could have been reserved as omake for the DVDs.

BTW, I have not been griping about this show for 8 episodes. I've been defending it, and engaged in the speculah for 7 episodes. Episode 8, however, was a profound let down. I would be a witless fanboy if, after extolling the virtues of this series episode after episode, I were to not acknowledge the flaws of the series as I see them.
Old 2010-02-24, 00:16   Link #1027
Midonin
Last Engage

There's nothing with having a breather episode. Establishing that there is a status quo at all allows for the cast to grow in a normal environment before it gets shaken up.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 00:59   Link #1028
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
BTW, I have not been griping about this show for 8 episodes. I've been defending it, and engaged in the speculah for 7 episodes. Episode 8, however, was a profound let down. I would be a witless fanboy if, after extolling the virtues of this series episode after episode, I were to not acknowledge the flaws of the series as I see them.
Well episode 7 was about the past episode 8 is about the present.

Presently treaty negotiations are shaky. Rio's father calls her to ask forgiveness and asks her to save the country.

Old priest got confirmation on who Rio is by Iria's former personal effect.

As what is gonna happen I see several posibilities.

1. Rio's father as per the treaty will have to abdicate the throne. Since Iria is presumably disceased the only one next in line for the throne is Rio. But Rio may have a problem being royalty. Given her dislike of the Helvetian Orthodox church I can only presume much like the British Anglican Church the throne entails being head of the church. It may explain the old priest's curiosity.

2. Another posibility among the stipulation of the treaty is for Rio to be married off to the opposing side.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 02:08   Link #1029
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Ep08 was about as exciting as waiting for a phone to ring.

oh wait...
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 02:21   Link #1030
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Boring with a touch of urine.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 02:30   Link #1031
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wow...... did the director for this one draw a short straw?

Not sure of the series length at the moment. If this is a 24ep series, it might be great. If it is a 12 ep series - what a way to explode the time budget.
Old 2010-02-24, 02:46   Link #1032
Raiga
tl;dr

Finally caught up with this. Probably enjoying this show the most out of anything I started this season. ^^

7 definitely had the most impact (and how) but I don't mind having a breather after a really dark episode. Entertaining enough comedy of errors. I loved how the nun girl was scolding both the children and the priest. Plus the subtle character quirks, like the nun's love of gaudy outfits. You can tell, and it's funny, but they don't shove it into your face, like hey look at me I'm a character gag. It comes up when relevant and isn't overdone, which is nice.

Dunno if this has been said before, but one way I interpreted episode 7 was basically as a validation for the entire rest of the series. Sort of the whole purpose behind everything up until then was summed up nicely when Filicia was with that body.

The (hallucination?) corpse poses the question to Filicia: why is life still worth living in this wreck of a world? What's left to enjoy or appreciate in this post-apocalyptic wasteland? And that's when you remember the last six episodes, where against the backdrop of all this death and destruction that's not yet out of memory, there's still very much a reason to be alive, because there's still something to love about the world. Even when all these children have lost their parents. Even when life is utterly gone from vast swathes of the planet. Even out at some undersupplied leftover military outpost at the far borders of habitable land.

That's what I'm loving about this show. I mean, others clearly think otherwise, but in my opinion it's done a wonderful job of balancing the light and the dark. It never shies away from the realities of the world the characters live in, but it still finds a way to be lighthearted in spite of that. Basically the characters are saying, Yes the previous generation fucked things up in a big way. But we're still alive, so we're going to keep living.
Old 2010-02-24, 02:48   Link #1033
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well can't say I really enjoyed this one. There were key parts that were interesting. The priest leaving is curious, but the bigger part is that the peace talks aren't going that smoothly. Not to mention the call at the end asking Rio to save the nation makes you wonder just how serious things are getting there.

There were some laughs. Just didn't think it was all that much fun watching someone wait for a call. I don't even like watching me wait for a phone call . Even if they didn't want to get too serious there were probably other ways they could have spent the episode and still get the same important information out there.
Old 2010-02-24, 03:11   Link #1034
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
nothing but moe. IMO that is what happened in this episode.
Did we watch the same episode? Lots of little details here and there:
  • Kanata found out about their "side-job". How?
  • The Old Priest leaving for Treize. Why?
  • Iliya Arkadia.
  • Rio's father (?) hijacked the line-testing mission to call back Rio to "save Helvetia".
  • Kureha and Filicia needed to rush some documents to HQ.
Bonus:
Kanata is very dedicated to her mission.
Noel sleeps in the bathroom.

Now, this one definitely has less speculah content than the last few weeks, but then, next episode preview says Hi.
Old 2010-02-24, 03:53   Link #1035
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
  • Iliya Arkadia.
  • Rio's father (?) hijacked the line-testing mission to call back Rio to "save Helvetia".
My thoughts exactly, seems enough people were distracted by the episode's surface to not pay attention to the important plot points swimming underneath.

The episode makes it clear that Things Are Afoot in the upper echelons.

I'm wondering if this was just the calm before the storm.
Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 03:58   Link #1036
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
My thoughts exactly, seems enough people were distracted by the episode's surface to not pay attention to the important plot points swimming underneath.

The episode makes it clear that Things Are Afoot in the upper echelons.

I'm wondering if this was just the calm before the storm.
Fair analysis of the episode but the point remains that what was shown on the surface lacked substance. I'm one to usually give a pass on things such as this but for some reason or another this episode didn't sit well with me. I'm hopeful that those passive details turn into something epic in the episodes to come.
SSJiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 05:05   Link #1037
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
  • Iliya Arkadia.
Bonus:

Now, this one definitely has less speculah content than the last few weeks, but then, next episode preview says Hi.
Go a wild theory on the report thing: progress report on the repair of the tank? It's possible that the whole less than 10 thing is a bluff and that the one they have is the last one. They let Noel repair slowly to avoid attention. With the possibility of fighting resuming they want to know how soon it's going to be ready.

Looooong stretch but wouldn't that be fun?

The other one is of course HQ want them to report on how Rio is doing.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 05:07   Link #1038
OrionCA

Quote:
  • Iliya Arkadia.
Bonus:

- There are 2 bonus episodes to be published with the DVD: One takes place around the time of episode 7 from what I gather. That's probably when Kanata finds out about the moonshine operation. Why isn't she shocked or upset about the squad's illegal side-job? Heck, she may come from a long line of moonshiners.

- It's fairly obvious that Rio and the "princess" with the trumpet and bell are sisters. Half-sisters, I'd say. She's not fond of her father at all.

- Noel sleeps EVERYWHERE. In the bath. At the glass factory. At breakfast. The only thing she seems to live for is putting that tank back together. The previews for next week aren't encouraging in that regard.

- back to Episode 7, during the Old Era battle there's a reflection in a skyscraper of apparently what the spider tanks are shooting at. Big, with feathered wings. The SRNWT wiki has a screen cap. The "modern" spider-tanks are based on the "vector zero" tanks but far below them in capability. Old Era tech is Majick to these people.

- There seems to be a constant, underlying theme behind all these episodes. it's summed up by something in one of the promo trailers: "There is nothing useless in this world...", if I recall the phrasing correctly. Kanata starts off calling herself "Omiso", or the stuff that's thrown out after making miso - "useless". Noel worries that rebuilding the tank will bring distruction. Filicia had a Nice Chat with a ghost about the futility of survival in the current world and rejected its advice. The series seems to be about finding a place for themselves in the world and proving their worth.
OrionCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 05:27   Link #1039
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Wait what. This episode had 2 real moments that can even be considered moe, and it's so obvious what those scenes were, and am I supposed to operate under the belief that even one moment of moe makes an entire episode a de-evolution into moe? (and is moe itself even a de-evolution)

Ice Block has already pointed out the various revelations and plot points that the episode that repeating them is redundant. Kanata's (and Noel in a sense) seriously laid-back task for that day is contrasted to lots of events scurrying about as Ice Block has mentioned. Kanata in that one little room waiting for a phone call that ended up being pretty important in an unclear fashion in contrast to not-so good news about peace talks, an old man likely related to Rio panicking about something important and Felicia having to rush some important duties ahead. It's been hinted a few times that the events that have been happening recently is very much different to the day-to-day life the platoon has had in the past. It's too grandiose to say that Kanata had a hand in these background happenings but as part of the lead cast in a time when things seem to be picking up compared to before we can expect her to be involved in it in some way.

And yes the pacing needed some work, I'm not denying that. AFAIK this has been said to be running at 12-13, and the pace this episode used felt rather wasted in a way. Yes we got some revelations about upcoming problems but with 5 episodes left, the scale that the story implies might become a problem if the director decided to use a single episode in such a way.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 05:36   Link #1040
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Eh, though boring-ish, I think this episode brought the show back to the whole slice of life aspect it was shooting for in the first place. I guess they just aimed to balance it out that's all. The show just doesn't strike me as something that would go head first into plot exposition constantly.

And for what it's worth, this episode made me like Kanata a lot more now. The typical 'boke' character, but she's proving herself probably the hardest worker of the lot.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life