AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2013-03-23, 13:22   Link #2121
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
Well, I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question...

So, I've always wondered about this: So what does "Moe Moe Kyun" mean? And is a phrase that originally came from K-On? And if not, where did it originally come from?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I've always wondered this after seeing Sena from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai doing a variation of this also...

Spoiler for Sena Moe Moe Kyun:

Well, I hope someone answer me... Thanks...
Let's begin by addressing its meaning. Moé on its own refers to something that is endearing, in particular, for male audiences. This definition is hotly contested, but for this query, it should suffice. Something moé moé would thus have a lot of endearing characteristics. While I'm less certain on this one, kyun sounds like onomatopoeia. Thus, the entire phrase may be seen as a response to cute things.

Sources are conflicting as to whether or not K-On! was the origin of the phrase moé moé kyun. I've heard this phrase thrown around in some Japanese game shows and even Hong Kong game shows, although I am uncertain as to whether or not they predate K-On!. Moreover, I've heard from unverified sources that the phrase was inspired by a trend in Maid Cafés. I myself am inclined to believe that K-on! was not the origins of the phrase, although it certainly did help popularise it. As for its usage in Haganai, the fact that it is there implies that the phrase was probably not unique to K-On! (otherwise, feathers would fly with respect to intellectual property and so fourth )

I hope this sufficiently addresses your points
Old 2013-03-31, 09:38   Link #2122
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

@ForwardUntoDawn: Thanks for that info... really helped...

Now I need to ask this thread something. Is there a genderbent name for Nodoka, I mean what would be a male Nodoka be named? (ex: Yui=Yuu, Ritsu=Rikku). I need it for my "research". I kinda stumbled into the name "Okuda", And thought about the feasibility of a male named "Okuda Manabe" but I'm not very familiar with Japanese names, and I don't know if this is applicable for a first name for a boy (Okuda appears as a Japanese last name in most of my searches). please help me... thanks...

Last edited by LightMusicBand; 2013-03-31 at 10:25.
LightMusicBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 19:15   Link #2123
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

There is no similar equivalent to Nodoka with respect to its written form. However, as Nodoka approximates to "peaceful" or "calm" in the name's meaning, we may choose a male name with a similar meaning that begins with an 'n' hiragana. These criteria are statisfied by the name Naoyasu, although how satisfactory this is will depend on your intents and purposes.
Old 2013-05-11, 18:17   Link #2124
HoennSora

Did Azusa actually say My Pikachu when she was talking to Nodaka about going over seas? lol
HoennSora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 16:53   Link #2125
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoennSora View Post
Did Azusa actually say My Pikachu when she was talking to Nodaka about going over seas? lol
As far as the original version is concerned, I'm pretty sure that answer is no.

Is this line in the American release?
Old 2013-06-15, 09:43   Link #2126
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Who else is excited about the Upcoming Announcment Tomorrow Evening when the Seiyuu of our Five Heroies gather for a "History of K-On Talk"

Hopefully it will be a 3rd Season/2nd Movie announcement!!
Old 2013-06-15, 17:18   Link #2127
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I heard hints somewhere that there would be a third season. If there is a third season, you can bet that I'm definitely going to be there to watch it.
Old 2013-06-16, 12:09   Link #2128
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

And apparently no news on any new series, movie or OVA as given at all last night.

Fuck.
Old 2013-06-16, 15:00   Link #2129
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
And apparently no news on any new series, movie or OVA as given at all last night.

Fuck.
No surprise there. The movie ended the series on quite a positive note, and I suspect KyoAni has no interest in picking it up again. At least, not for quite a while. And I think they've got sound reasons for doing so.

First: There's not really enough material in the two follow-on comics to make another movie. The movie worked because it had forty-one TV/OVA episodes to fit into. Making the follow-on stories into a movie has the problem of having to introduce all these new characters and their backstories, plus all the new settings, within the space of two hours.

Second: While they could've made a TV series or OVA out of the two follow-on series ... a lot of effort was made to focus the series around the YuiAzu dynamic, or the character dynamics of the First Four. Neither follow-on really captures that. The high-school follow-on only has Azusa + miscellaneous characters, and is pretty much a rehash of original K-ON! The college follow-on has the First Four, but it takes place in college ... a place anime directors these days simply don't like to go to. It, too, also rehashes a lot of K-ON! plot standbys; and has the added problem of heavily diluting the character dynamics of the First Four with their experiences in the college music club.

Third: Both follow-on series were relatively poor sellers. Also, KyoAni allowed the production staff of K-ON! to produce an original show of their own, which floated similar art style and was of the same character-driven light-and-fluffy slice-of-moe-life genre as K-ON! ... which also did poorly.

Fourth: KyoAni has, at last count, three projects in the pipe. Four if you count the Chunnibuyo recap movie. For that reason alone, I wouldn't have expected a K-ON! related TV announcement for at least another year.
Old 2013-06-16, 15:11   Link #2130
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Mind elaborating on what was said? It'd be much appreciated
Old 2013-06-19, 12:43   Link #2131
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree with GMT.

On the one hand, I have missed K-On a bit lately, but on the other hand, at least this is one franchise that won't be drove into the ground due to its popularity. Some anime franchises go on well beyond their "best before" date, and I don't think that's the case with K-On! Both K-On!!'s finale episode and the movie effectively ended things on a high note, and it wasn't a painful slog getting there.

But take some cheer. Maybe one day the show will get re-made, Rozen Maiden-style.
Old 2013-07-10, 11:29   Link #2132
SummeryDreams

I really like this anime.. It's really cute.. But I've just wondered something this very moment.. Why do K-On in Japanese is in Hiragana, well in fact it is an English title and is supposedly be written in Katakana.. Weird writers...
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 21:16   Link #2133
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

K-On! is the romanisation of 軽音 (Keion), or light music. Technically, this is supposed to be the working title. Kanij, however, is derived off Chinese glyphs and thus, is more complex. Katakana is used for transcribing foreign words into Japanese, and since "light music" is not of foreign origin, Katakana is not used. Thus, we are left with Kanji and Hiragana to deal with.

Hiragana has had a long history of usage and is also the most commonly used. As such, it is likely the writing system that viewers have the greatest familiarity with; while I'm not totally sure, a study found the Japanese prefer Hiragana over Katakana, citing the former as giving a warmer feeling to the text owing to the curving aesthetics of Hiragana characters. Because Hiragana is the first writing system Japanese children pick up, it is the one that is most familiar and thus, most friendly-looking. Hiragana is also the writing system that introductory Japanese courses teach. Contrast Keion written as (けいおん) with (ケイオン): the latter is more angular and rough, whereas the former is gentler in appearance. Incidentally, kanji is the last writing system taught, being the most complex to master (unless one had previous experience with the writing system). K-On! isn't a complicated anime by any stretch, so using Kanji to represent the title would subtly undermine the anime's atmospherics.

We now apply this logic to K-On!, a simple, heartwarming anime about a group of high school girls and their halcyon life as high school students. Using Hiragana would imply that the anime itself would be simple, laid-back and fun, descriptors that rather fit what we see nicely.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2013-09-19 at 22:39. Reason: Source for this information
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 09:40   Link #2134
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
K-On! is the romanisation of 軽音 (Keion), or light music. Technically, this is supposed to be the working title. Kanij, however, is derived off Chinese glyphs and thus, is more complex. Katakana is used for transcribing foreign words into Japanese, and since "light music" is not of foreign origin, Katakana is not used. Thus, we are left with Kanji and Hiragana to deal with.

Hiragana has had a long history of usage and is also the most commonly used. As such, it is likely the writing system that viewers have the greatest familiarity with; while I'm not totally sure, a study found the Japanese prefer Hiragana over Katakana, citing the former as giving a warmer feeling to the text owing to the curving aesthetics of Hiragana characters. Because Hiragana is the first writing system Japanese children pick up, it is the one that is most familiar and thus, most friendly-looking. Hiragana is also the writing system that introductory Japanese courses teach. Contrast Keion written as (けいおん) with (ケイオン): the latter is more angular and rough, whereas the former is gentler in appearance. Incidentally, kanji is the last writing system taught, being the most complex to master (unless one had previous experience with the writing system). K-On! isn't a complicated anime by any stretch, so using Kanji to represent the title would subtly undermine the anime's atmospherics.

We now apply this logic to K-On!, a simple, heartwarming anime about a group of high school girls and their halcyon life as high school students. Using Hiragana would imply that the anime itself would be simple, laid-back and fun, descriptors that rather fit what we see nicely.
I'm watching K-On and I really like it! and oh my God, I never figured it out.. K-On was actually a romaji word.. I thought it means K - On in English, and that explains why it is in hiragana.. Really cute anime..
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 22:23   Link #2135
Night_Music
The End of Light

I would like to ask:

Was the girl (dressed in black) in the MV of Listen, Mio Akiyama? I mean, was there any statement from the directors of the said MV about it?

Thanks.
Night_Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 23:23   Link #2136
LeBeakofJustice

In case anyone here watched Accel World, I'm pretty sure the girl at 8:32 of episode 18 (Leading Role) of season 2 who told Mio to talk louder was voiced by the same person who voiced Noumi. I find this interesting considering the two characters are of different gender, but I guess that isn't too uncommon in the world of voice acting.
LeBeakofJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-06, 18:00   Link #2137
LatinoChurro

Hi everyone! Hope there's still people here who want to talk about this show. K-On is definitely my favorite anime atm ^^
LatinoChurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 22:40   Link #2138
Notshane
College Member

K-ON. What can I say about this one...for one, I have known about it since long ago, but only just recently watched it last month. The style, the way they do everything; it feels DIFFERENT from most anime and I can think up a few solid reasons:

1) The animation style. Unlike most anime that always aims for detail, some doing it flawlessly; K-ON sacrificed the detail, slightly, in order to give more fluid movement to the characters. This includes their realistic tripping on things, the other characters' reactions to that incident and much more. Truly, their animation style is unique; K-ON ALWAYS feels like a movie due to its atmosphere. Also, I rarely see the characters on a standstill where they only move when they are talking or pulling comedy routines; like they always move around whenever someone is speaking. If they were aiming for realism, they have it spot on.

2) The humor itself. They really tried to go for the most simple approach, and nailed it. They do not try to add drama often at all, and its mostly ALL comedy. It gets a tad boring at times, you would think; but really it DOESN'T. I can not describe why, but it always feels fresh every episode. I am pretty certain they studied real high school girls, or a girl was a writer; because they just make the humor feel as though you are watching a real group of high school girls in their every day life.

3) Finally, the music. Well most anime do have memorable soundtracks, this one took on a musical approach to its story and that is what turned me off the most from watching it when I first saw it: I like the characters, but I thought it was all gonna be about the music. In reality, it's the COMPLETE opposite: they do jack (...) on the music most of the time, it is hilarious! They all have natural talent of writing songs, and none of them practice whatsoever. They do still sing full songs in some episodes, but it's not annoying where it's every single episode or there are like two to four songs per episode. What I mean is, it's not a musical anime; it's mostly comedy and all of the characters that play in their band have natural talent. Perhaps, Mugi has the most since she practiced since she was young, same could be said with the others too. Come to think of it, I guess Yui is the only one with natural talent given she reached professional guitar level in just a few episodes!

But yeah, K-ON is really good. After watching all of it, I mean ALL of it I even saw the OVAs and the movie; I can safely say it is a great recommendation if you just want comedy and none of the drama. When they do have drama, it's usually in the most calm way possible: a sad scene. Like when a character is leaving, or when they are having a heartwarming moment; usually nothing ever happens where a character gets injured, someone is being a bully or anything.

So again, don't be fooled. It is true it is all about music and some episodes even dedicate it to such, but most of the time they mock the idea of practicing and it's just basic high school comedy in its rawest form. Give it a watch if you have the time, it is one of those rare shows where you won't ask for more because it delivers a hefty thirty-nine episodes, two OVAs and a movie. It ends well, and does not need any more productions. Even learned a piano song from the anime, and it gives me goosebumps every time I play it especially on a grand piano.
Notshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-07, 22:10   Link #2139
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

2011's K-On! The Movie acted as a swan song for the K-On! franchise, providing one final chance for Houkago Tea Time to go on an adventure with one another before the next step of their journey began. When the movie premièred, it was to overwhelmingly positive reception, and I myself had noted the movie excelled in its aim of portraying how a token of gratitude would go on to set in motion events that left Yui, Ritsu, Mio, Mugi and Azusa with lifelong memories of the time they'd spent together. While it is understandable that K-On! The Movie is not going to be for everyone, one egregious rant stands out for me; I'd been cleaning out my hard drive and found the following passage stored to a text file. Upon reading through it, memories returned to me: I'd been taken aback that anyone could agree with it, and I remember now that I'd saved said rant with the intention of refuting every point that was raised, but never got around to it until now. I wished to revisit this exercise with the aim of trying to gain a better understanding of what about this rant, if any, makes it worthy of even the remotest bit of consideration.

Quote:
K-ON! has always been one of the most disingenuous anime franchises of all time to me. If there is any big reason why this movie ultimately falls flat on its face it is because they try to strike a sentimental chord about the nostalgic high school years in a franchise whose sincerity has gone completely bankrupt a long time ago. Not to mention the amount of distraction that is caused by what ultimately felt like a minor side point to this story, their trip to London.
This rant's unlearned, crude voice makes it clear the writer had no intention of understanding K-On! The Movie, and right out of the gates, this confrontational voice indicated an irrational hatred towards an anime that had found considerable success both in Japan and amongst international viewers. Viewers generally report K-On! as being an immensely enjoyable series whose charm lay precisely in how sincere the series was about portraying a journey of discovery, friendship and above all, appreciation for the people in one's life who've made so much possible.

Quote:
Seriously what was the point of this movie in ever venturing off to London? Half the movie, if not maybe a little more actually takes place back in Japan. The time they do spend in London is just waltzing around random parts of the city and hardly utilizing any elements of the culture and setting for the purposes of the movie. When they did their little performances, one was at a sushi bar and the other was at a Japanese cultural fair. Home away from home? Give me a break. This movie never needed to go to London to do what it did because it never actually really used the goddamn setting in anyway meaningful. The focus here is completely off.
From a writer's perspective, the choice to send Yui and the others to London had been motivated by the fact that Houkago Tea Time's music was very much inspired by the likes of Jimmi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, David Bowie, The Beatles and numerous others. Having Yui and the others go here was to pay homage to the fact that they'd been inspired by rock and roll, applying their own style towards things. For Yui and the others, their in-story explanation for London is simple enough – it is a happy accident born out of a wish to keep their surprise for Azusa a proper surprise. This typifies the easy-go-lucky, free-style approach Houkago Tea Time takes towards whatever they do.

In this way, exploring London, its attractions and culture was never intended to be K-On! The Movie's primary objective. Instead, the musical history and backdrop of London is meant to provide Yui, Ritsu, Mio and Mugi a more subtle source of inspiration: as they travel, they begin to really see anew why Azusa is so special. The setting was therefore utilised in a meaningful way, to demonstrate that Houkago Tea Time is who they are no matter where they are in the world, because it is the people, and not the place, that makes them unique. The focus, if any thing, is spot on, and London serves to provide a minor bit of inspiration for each of Yui, Ritsu, Mio and Mugi to help them with their intended graduation gift for Azusa.

Quote:
I also have to note why people in London were portrayed like the biggest weirdos ever. I mean c'mon now, I know Japanese people tend to not be very good with foreign countries but this sort of ridiculing portrayal of foreigners has got to stop. I usually forgive TV more for this since well they don't got the budget and stuff, but this is a goddamn movie and they can't actually do a better job here? Worst the engrish still exists and they can't get proper english speakers? Give me a break.
There was no need at all to insult the staff on the film, and this claim is outrageously wrong. In fact, this paragraph alone invalidates the entire rant, and it is only out of my generosity that I've read through the entire thing. The film had English speakers playing the London citizens: Jon Klein voices the taxi driver, while Kate Mills plays the Ibis receptionist. Meanwhile, Christoffer Rudquist is the sushi restaurant manager. A look around finds that these individuals are competent English speakers, and a behind-the-scenes notes that director Naoko Yamada had wanted their rate of speech and pronunciations rendered accessible towards Japanese viewers. As it is, the dialogue is acceptable and understandable given that the film was aimed at the Japanese market, first and foremost. Moreover, the London citizens were presented in a completely positive fashion: they are friendly and helpful, as well as being very receptive to Japanese culture.

Quote:
If this movie was supposed to be about how they wanted to say goodbye to the their good friend, then good grief did they go about in the most roundabout manner possible. It does not help that most of movie is pretty much recycling the same old jokes and personality quirks that have long since gone past their life time of freshness and amusement.
Every paragraph demonstrates that the ranter has no understanding of K-On! The Movie: the film wasn't about saying "goodbye", it was about saying "thank you". It is a common misconception that K-On!'s anime was a pure comedy that necessarily needed to be about the jokes: the original 4-koma manga was a comedy, but with Naoko Yamada directing, she had intended the series to deal in some important life lessons, too. The whole of K-On!! was about being mindful of all people do for others and properly expressing gratitude for this. K-On! The Movie is similarly an extension that shows how "Tenshi ni Fureta yo!" came about. The song had moved Azusa deeply in the second season, but the anime did give the impression the song had materialised from nowhere. K-On! The Movie rectifies this – a fateful trip to London has Azusa planning the trip and keeping everyone organised, allowing everyone to see what Azusa had been doing for Houkago Tea Time ever since she joined.

Quote:
And like always this franchise hasn't been about music. That became very clear in its very first season and it still is clear now. I never got the impression that the music was something deeply important to the character, rather it was the experience with themselves as friends that they seemed to value more. Essentially the hobby didn't matter, it was just that they all interacted with this hobby. To the very end this permeated the show, and I still have to ask the question here, why music? If K-ON!! ever truly sent the message here about why music was here in the first place, I never got it. It had about as much purpose as it did in something like Angel Beats, it's just sort of there. This franchise is still completely false advertising in this regard.
While K-On! has an emphasis on music, its themes were never directly tied to musicianship. This much had been demonstrated in the manga, and Yamada continued conveying this during the anime. Music is the catalyst for the experiences Yui has, and gives her something to focus on. This focus allows her to grow – the Yui at the end of K-On! The Movie is considerably more mature than when she first joined the light music club, more aware of those around her and more confident in taking on the future in her usual, easygoing manner. It is unreasonable and immature to expect that K-On! was supposed to an animated set of tutorials on how to play the guitar; the manga had emphasised the moments outside of practise because these are the moments people tend to forget about where in reality, they help people understand one another better and correspondingly, work better together as a team. This is why team-building exercises exist. To suggest that K-On! The Movie is "false advertising" is to be willfully ignorant, demonstrating a stubborn refusal to understand what the creators' intentions were behind this series.

Quote:
I also do not like how they always manage to play so damn perfect in their songs. Oh we wrote a song, we don't really practice it and all of a sudden they're on stage and the whole crowd eats it up. Great. It's a disservice to the process of music completely. The only time they did any different was the very last song that they prepared for Azu-nyan, but these scenes were far and few in between through this entire franchise and even in the movie.
This criticism is invalid – throughout the whole of K-On!, from the first season onwards, viewers are meant to see the girls practise on occasion, but it is never the emphasis because the band isn't going for a competition, and therefore, technical finesse is secondary to the moments spent with one another. The accusation that Yui and the others are undeserving is a disservice to music: Azusa pointed this out on day one, that the girls play with heart, and so, while making technical faults during their performances, the biggest thing about their music is sincerity.

Quote:
In reality this didn't need to be a film. The pacing throughout was completely off and very uneven. The production values were honestly a bit disappointing for a Kyoani effort. A lack of a cohesive narrative structure plagued the film all throughout because of two completely different focuses never meshing together. The sentimentality doesn't work because it never properly built a base by distancing itself from its obvious 4-koma roots in the first place. When most of your show consists of eating cake and drinking tea with 4-koma styled humor and interactions throughout, it just does not feel sincere. The film wasted too much time in an ultimately pointless side adventure to make up any ground here on this front.
In reality, this rant didn't need to exist. The pacing made sense, since the movie was written about crafting a suitable gift for Azusa rather than being about travel. K-On! The Movie's production values far surpass anything in the TV series, and in fact, exceeds the animation and artwork of even anime today. Such a poorly-argued perspective demonstrates an inadequate understanding of the series and its intentions. K-On! never was aimed at being a music-focused series about competition and the drive for self-improvement, nor was it a pure comedy intended to evoke laughter every other minute. The series is about an appreciation of friendship, how relationships grow, and ultimately, how people find creative and meaningful ways of expressing appreciation for all of the times they spend together. The anime and films are very consistent in this regard, and K-On! The Movie absolutely succeeded in conveying this to viewers.

Quote:
I hope this is the last we ever of the K-ON franchise. This film was extremely, extremely poor.
Quite personally, I hope to never encounter such a misguided rant again: this was an extremely, extremely poor effort. I understand that all people are entitled to their opinions, but in this case, given the rant's noticeably poor understanding of K-On! and its themes, it is plain that no effort was made to see what the film's goals were or why there are a set of people who found it enjoyable. Blinded by bias and malice, this rant cannot be said to hold any weight as an opinion. To demonstrate how flimsy the rant was, I have done a very thorough job in presenting counterarguments to every point in the rant; if K-On! The Movie or the K-On! franchise as a whole has any shortcomings, it certainly isn't disingenuous, emotional assertions like "false advertising" or "lack of ambition". I would therefore wonder why one would forcibly sit through a series they were biased against from the start, and suggest that, because time is a finite resource, one simply not watch series that not appeal to them were this to be the case. Insistently believing that one must watch all series to be a credible critic is a mark of immaturity: unless one were a professional film critic or similar, there is no obligation to watch all shows and films of a given season.

With all of this in mind, there is nothing to agree with in this rant. The London trip was well-chosen (in universe, to show that Houkago Tea Time makes the most of things, and how no matter where they are, they're mindful of those around them, and out of universe, to pay homage to the musical styles that influenced the music in the series). The series never "tricked" anyone: the goal was to simply have music as being a catalyst for growth, not have it be an end-all detailed enough to act as a technical manual on how to play pop music). On the off chance that there are those who do agree with the rant, I would therefore be curious to understand the reasoning behind why that rant has any merits at all, least of all being something worth defending or agreeing with. It is one thing to dislike a work for failing one's personal expectations (which are subjective), but quite another when a rant aims to disingenuously insult and mock those who put so much effort into creating work that was evidently enjoyed by a large number of people. I accept and welcome opinions from all sides of a spectrum provided they are rational and fair, but if one expects agreement despite having just spent a few hundred words insulting a work's creators, they’d better be prepared to work very hard for said agreement.
Old 2021-06-15, 00:57   Link #2140
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I wished to revisit this exercise with the aim of trying to gain a better understanding of what about this rant, if any, makes it worthy of even the remotest bit of consideration.
I was confused what you were referring to, so here's the original post in case anyone else is looking for the source.

https://forums.animesuki.com/showthr...87#post4276687

All in all, I don't think there was really much point in doing a point-by-point rebuttal to someone's review from 9 years ago. Even if you had given the rebuttal at the time, it's not like you're going to change their mind anyway. The movie was simply not for them because the whole franchise was not for them. It's not written in such a way that they can appreciate or engage with -- a fundamental mismatch of expectations and results.

Basically what you're trying to convey in your rebuttal is this whole show is about the characters and their developing relationships with each other. All the other "stuff" that happens is the setting and a catalyst to develop the characters -- it matters in as much as they tried to bring some authenticity to it, but it's not really the point. At the same time, that's exactly what the person you're back-hand-replying to hated about it -- that's why they called it "disingenuous."

Really, this is the whole nature of subjectivity -- viewing the same thing but seeing it in a different way. There are definitely other people who will watch K-On and have the same reaction he did because they are just wired a certain way or experience media in a certain way. In that sense, his review is not as "misguided" as you think -- to people on the same wavelength, what he's saying will make sense to them. But it's just one perspective. I'm not really sure that much of what he said was objectively untrue (if overly strongly-stated, perhaps), but to those who enjoyed it, it's like they experienced something completely different -- because they did, when you take perspective into account.

No matter how pointed or strongly-worded someone's review is, it's just an opinion. And sometimes finding someone whose perspective is the most opposite of your own can be just as useful as finding someone whose opinions you tend to agree with.

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen