Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-12-21, 16:55   Link #9481
vektar

Send a message via AIM to vektar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Here's a question for the veterans, while I'm waiting for my HG Exia to make it's way across the globe...

I've heard a lot of evil things about Gundam stickers and how easy they peel off again. Now, I'm not a complete newbie to plastic modelling in general, so I've got absolutely no problem with cracking open a tin (or can) of paint and having at it, but I'm wondering if I can save myself some trouble by using the stickers for masking? I.e. paint the area where the sticker should go, let it dry, apply the sticker and paint the whole thing in the base color. Since the stickers are pre-cut to shape, it would be easier to just use those rather than try to trim masking tape...

Can this be done, or is the glue just too strong?

Second, I'd like to know what kind (not just dry/wet, but motif and detail level) of decals are included or otherwise available for the 00 HG series, and what they look like when applied, as I've only seen these kits in their naked state, so to speak. Are there any official decalling guides that can be found online or anything?

Cheers,

SP
I dont own any 00 high grades havent really bought any in almost 8 years or so, but from what i learned about stickers is that sometimes they stick out in odd shapes when you apply them so it adds to the model if you dont paint it but i think it will look strange with a sharp edge on it and being painted. I dont think the HG kits come with the nice detail stickers you get with master grades like the caution and warning stickers. You can buy those separate for about $5 at most online stores that sell gundam kits.

So yeah i would just avoid using stickers in general, but thats just me, when you buy a kit check it out and decided weather or not you want to add the sticker and paint over it and such.
vektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 17:28   Link #9482
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

00 + 0-riser is out of stock on hlj, man this is selling like hot cake, and im in the process of saving up for that too
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 17:53   Link #9483
philmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
00 + 0-riser is out of stock on hlj, man this is selling like hot cake, and im in the process of saving up for that too
You can order it off Rainbowten as well.
philmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 17:58   Link #9484
Cherudim Arche

Is Avalanche Exia a decent model and what are the problems?
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 18:23   Link #9485
LordStrike
Gundam Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
yea thanks to god that i had the pre order XD and even that it toke for them to ship around 5 days and the model to get to my house in US it takes around 10 to 15 days :P so might as well say is out of stock XD
LordStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 18:44   Link #9486
rebel one
Do the Monkey

HCM-Pro 00 Raiser
rebel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 19:02   Link #9487
Winchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektar View Post
I dont own any 00 high grades havent really bought any in almost 8 years or so, but from what i learned about stickers is that sometimes they stick out in odd shapes when you apply them so it adds to the model if you dont paint it but i think it will look strange with a sharp edge on it and being painted. I dont think the HG kits come with the nice detail stickers you get with master grades like the caution and warning stickers. You can buy those separate for about $5 at most online stores that sell gundam kits.

So yeah i would just avoid using stickers in general, but thats just me, when you buy a kit check it out and decided weather or not you want to add the sticker and paint over it and such.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I have another item to add to my next Gunpla purchase, then - which will be the HG 00, and the 0-riser to go with it. I hope the 0-riser comes with the bigger sabers, like the 1/100 combination pack. Oh well, I'll find out when Dalong posts his review...

Hmm. Considering that the "ultimate upgrades" are usually not introduced until the last couple of episodes of any of the Gundam shows I've seen, and that the =-riser is comparatively small next to its last few predecessors (GN-arms, METEOR), who wants to bet that there'll be an even bigger attachment available for the 00 before the end of the show? Remember, GN-arms and METEOR only show up in the last two-three episodes of 00 S1, GS and GSD respectively, and we still have another dozen or so to go on 00 S2...

SP
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 19:21   Link #9488
jackyng222

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/store...A1TUHN8FMK85C0

I just feel like showing this to you guys, for those who want a good place to buy kits in the USA online. You guys don't have to believe me on this, up to you. I got the MG hi nu,MG sazabi, GN arms+ Exia, infinite justice MG, and some more kits from him, the prices were really good.

Cybertrontoyz, a good place to buy kits for a pretty decent price and low shipping. They have lots of kits, the owner places only certain kits on amazon, but he has tons in his store. Just email him, he has new kits, old kits, HG, MG, PG, etc. SERIOUSLY EMAIL THE GUY for his true stock list, he has a lot to offer. Amazon takes 10-15% of profit so he doesn't put much up. He accepts paypal when ordering off amazon so you know it is safe. I've order tons of MGs and 00 off of him lately due to low pricing discounts when buying many items at once and also low shipping ($10 max when I ordered a giant order).
jackyng222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 19:27   Link #9489
MeesesGlokmah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyng222 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/store...A1TUHN8FMK85C0

I just feel like showing this to you guys, for those who want a good place to buy kits in the USA online. You guys don't have to believe me on this, up to you. I got the MG hi nu,MG sazabi, GN arms+ Exia, infinite justice MG, and some more kits from him, the prices were really good.

Cybertrontoyz, a good place to buy kits for a pretty decent price and low shipping. They have lots of kits, the owner places only certain kits on amazon, but he has tons in his store. Just email him, he has new kits, old kits, HG, MG, PG, etc. SERIOUSLY EMAIL THE GUY for his true stock list, he has a lot to offer. Amazon takes 10-15% of profit so he doesn't put much up. He accepts paypal when ordering off amazon so you know it is safe. I've order tons of MGs and 00 off of him lately due to low pricing discounts when buying many items at once and also low shipping ($10 max when I ordered a giant order).
Hm, thanks for the info. I might try it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherudim Arche View Post
Is Avalanche Exia a decent model and what are the problems?
I really like it. It looks really nice and detailed, even before painting. I 3 problems with it, though.

1. The blue butt skirt thing. It has those bendy purple plastic things, that all the first season Gundams have, to connect it to Exia's back. Anyway, my problem is that they don't stay in the skirt well, so they stick out. Not really a problem, but a gripe that could probably easily be fixed (scotch tape/glue?).

2. The legs are kinda loose. For such a bulky kit, they could have done a better job with the leg-to-hip plastic cap joints. Again, could probably be fixed, but at the risk of the cap expanding and breaking.

3. I don't have anywhere to display it because all of my other kits are 1/144 sized.

Hope this helps.
MeesesGlokmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 20:20   Link #9490
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel one View Post
I really like that toy only design. Cool decals
Old 2008-12-21, 21:03   Link #9491
Miyamoto Shin
Demigod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
I've heard a lot of evil things about Gundam stickers and how easy they peel off again.

Easy to peel off???...seriously??...I thought it was kinda strongly attached....Did any of you ever had your stickers peeled off due to age??
Miyamoto Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 21:32   Link #9492
Critias

Foil ones tend to WEAR down with age. Can't really help that. As for decals, I always wash the parts (or just the area if you prefer) where the decal is going. The plastic parts may or may not have a plastic residue on it from manufacturing. It's like if you wanted to paint something: would you wash off any dirt or whatever prior to painting or would you take your chances with something unclean?

UNCLEAN! UNCLEEEEEEEAN!
Critias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 22:31   Link #9493
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for 1/100 Cherudim Gundam and 1/100 Arios Gundam:

And is that an announcement for a... PERFECT GRADE ASTRAY RED FRAME?!?!?!

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 22:38   Link #9494
rebel one
Do the Monkey

1/60 PG Gerbera Straight?!?!?! But I wonder why Red Frame of all things?
rebel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 22:38   Link #9495
Ardi220288
Rooaaarrrr

And I though PG is already dead is that HG Trans-Am for exia virtue Dynames and Kyrios looks pretty sweet

Ardi220288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 22:39   Link #9496
Miyamoto Shin
Demigod

eh...so even until now, They still keep releasing HGUC stuffs??...Oh...SO There's still hope for HGSEED of ZGMF X12A- Testament...
Miyamoto Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-21, 22:40   Link #9497
jackyng222

PG astray, that would be freaking awesome and it is possible.
Old 2008-12-21, 22:45   Link #9498
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyamoto Shin View Post
eh...so even until now, They still keep releasing HGUC stuffs??...Oh...SO There's still hope for HGSEED of ZGMF X12A- Testament...
HGUC is Universal Century only. So no, your not going to get the Testament in Hg form.

And a PG Red Frame....my god that's awesome
Old 2008-12-21, 22:54   Link #9499
jackyng222

Can anyone confirm or translate the japanese text for the PG?
Old 2008-12-21, 22:59   Link #9500
Winchester

^_^;;;;; I'll take that as a big vote against using the stickers to mask my kit, then. Good to know... Not that it looks like Exia needs all that much in the way of masking, anyway...

A couple of tips learned in twenty years of messing up regular glue-and-paint model kits: When applying decals, whether the surface is painted or not, apply a gloss clearcoat and let it dry thoroughly before adding the decals. Nearly everything adheres better to a slick, shiny surface (ironically enough), since there's less (ideally none) space for air to get trapped under the decal. I use the local version of "Future Floor Wax" from SCJohnson, (Google it! One of the absolute best modeling tricks I've learned from the web!). If the model isn't supposed to be gloss, then glosscoat it anyway and then use a dull varnish over the decals. (I stir a jar of Tamiya Acrylic Flat base, then use the same rod to stir a medicine dosage cup full of Future, that gets me a pretty nice dullcoat).

Second tip is styrene cups. Every modeler should have a stack of them, since they're 1) a cheap source of thin card (the material is the same as in kits, and reacts to cement and paints the same way); 2) ideal for holding paints in while painting (never paint directly from the jar. It risks contamination of the paint, reduces the tin's lifespan by exposing it overlong to air, and above all, half an ounce of paint once spilled produces one heck of a mess - instead, dribble a bit of paint into cup using a stirring rod and replace the lid. You can always pick up more if neccessary, and it doesn't have to be from the same jar...), 3) disposable, meaning you can let the paint dry in the cup and then toss it out, rather than having to clean it for reuse.

Hope these tidbits help someone out... :-)

SP
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy