AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-08, 01:50   Link #1
LeiMagusIII

Angry [M-F] Yami to Boshi to Hon BIG Error

Took me almost the whole day to download it.

And when I played it I got a corrupted picture.

Not only that but the file crashed both my Windows Media Player and my DivX player.

Did I just pick up a bad seed, or is the file just corrupt?

Could I safely redownload the thing without worrying about the problem happening again?
Old 2003-12-08, 03:26   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

BitTorrent automatically checks for errors. If it says "download complete" then it is not corrupt.

Through much trial and error, tested upon countless newbies (who don't know how to read the "sticky" important threads) we have found a simple and quick solution that will fix at least 98% of all problems that we see. I expect it will work on your problem as well.

Uninstall all your codecs. Trust me. All of them:
Uninstall DivX.
Uninstall XviD.
Uninstall ffdshow.
Especially uninstall any Codec packs, They are Evil!

Download and install ffdshow. You'll find it listed as [Level 1] on the Media Configuration Guide.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-12-10, 01:16   Link #3
Unkn0wn
Inactive Member

Ok, prolly gonna get flamed for this but what the heck. DO NOT....I repeat DO NOT bother with ffdshow. Biggest waste of time of your life. Sure it handles a lot of stuff by installing one program but you're better off installing individual codecs, trust me. ffdshow is for ppl who don't have a clue what they're doing and are generally incompetent. Of course, all of us in the anime community are competent, ~ne? On to your question. Not sure if you can post links here but here goes. Try here: http://roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml and if it gets removed later, do a search for koepi on google. If you compare the filenames of yami 1-9 with 10 what do you notice? 1-9 use xvid in the name, while 10 uses xvid1. What does this mean? New codec. Go to koepi's site and get xvid version 1.0 which is in beta 2 as of 5/12/2003. Make sure to uninstall old codec and I'd do a reboot before installing new one if you've opened any files that use xvid since you last rebooted. Windows has a problem with writing over the codec sometimes if you've used it already. Anyways, reboot if needed and if all is well, tada....yami 10 plays perfectly. Good luck.
Old 2003-12-10, 04:17   Link #4
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Y'know why I use ffdshow? I used to use both DivX and XviD before I saw the light. The problem with XviD is which XviD? Some videos played better with Koepi's build while others played better with Nic's build. (Lots of green smears.) Some videos wouldn't play properly at all with the wrong build of XviD. I don't like having to change my codecs just to play one finicky video. I also don't like to have to change the 4CC to DIVX to make a video play properly. Call me incompetent if you like, but I like every video to play properly without having to keep changing my codecs.

I play a lot of videos. An awful lot of anime encoded by a lot of different groups! I can honestly say that I watch well over 60% of what is listed at AnimeSuki. ffdshow is sufficent to play every single avi I have ever come across with the single exception of one episode of Matantei Loki Ragnarok which required XviD instead. Shortly afterwards they released a v2 that plays properly with ffdshow, so that isn't an issue either.

This is why someone who knows all about the proper codecs would prefer ffdshow.

Can you tell me some reason that XviD is superior to ffdshow for someone who doesn't need to encode?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-12-10, 17:46   Link #5
lilitu93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
This is why someone who knows all about the proper codecs would prefer ffdshow.

Can you tell me some reason that XviD is superior to ffdshow for someone who doesn't need to encode?
In my case, when I installed ffdshow, it doesn't work--it just made Windows Media Player crash for *all* videos I tried to play with it. (I did, BTW, follow all the instructions given in the FAQ on this site.) Of course, my computer isn't the most stable and runs ME, but in my case, I have to use the individual codecs, since they're the only thing that work for me.

Both suggestions (ffdshow & individual codecs) are good, as they both have their purposes, and thanks to everyone who posted a solution in this thread.
Old 2003-12-10, 20:02   Link #6
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Yeah. I've heard of rare cases where ffdshow won't run on someone's system. Animaniac and Outlaw55 and I had a whole discussion about that once. Did you use the 20030523 version? It seems to be the most stable. In any case as long as your videos are playing properly now it's good.

Old 2003-12-16, 20:43   Link #7
Paper

If it's worth anything, I use "K-Lite Codec Pack" and mplayer2 (Windows Media Player) and haven't run into anything that it couldn't play.

[Edited by Animaniac: Please do not link to codec packs, it creates more harm that good, and more importantly, more trouble for us when we need to help fix the problems they cause. Thanks.]

Although I don't recommend using BPlayer that comes with it.. it's always unstable on my system.

Last edited by Animaniac; 2003-12-16 at 22:52. Reason: See above.
Old 2003-12-18, 03:58   Link #8
Umi_Ryuzuki

I would just like to suggest this thread.
I know, I know, "It worked for me".

Well it has worked for me, and it had nothing to do with installing FFDshow, or uninstalling any of my previous codecs.

Read on

Anime Empire Sticky Thread Xvid installation fix for latest Xvid binary codec

Hope this works for someone besides me.
Old 2003-12-18, 05:15   Link #9
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Thanks Umi_Ryuzuki. I didn't know that trick, but I'm glad that I know it now.

Incidently I'm gonna go off ffdshow for a while as an experiment. I'll switch back to the latest builds of DivX (5.1.1) and XviD (Koepi's XviD-1.0-Beta2-05122003) to see if they work reliably for me now. It's been about a year since I switched to ffdshow, so it's probably about time that I gave them another try. In that time there has been enough development that I might be happier with them now.

At the very least I have an obligation do this if I am going to presume to give other people advice on their codecs, eh?

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2003-12-18 at 05:25.
Old 2004-01-25, 12:39   Link #10
Gnorko

I've the same problem with Yami to boushi...
I tried all tips and tricks an all codecs and proggs but nothing works!!!!!!
Allways an error when I open a Yami... video file!!!!!

I NEED HELP!!!

And I have this error on the Xvid version (1-9) of yami... and not Xvid1 (I don't have 10-13 yet)!
Old 2004-01-26, 08:33   Link #11
Gnorko

ok.... it works now!!!! (but I don't know why)
Old 2004-01-26, 08:48   Link #12
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkn0wn
Ok, prolly gonna get flamed for this but what the heck. DO NOT....I repeat DO NOT bother with ffdshow. Biggest waste of time of your life. Sure it handles a lot of stuff by installing one program but you're better off installing individual codecs, trust me. ffdshow is for ppl who don't have a clue what they're doing and are generally incompetent. Of course, all of us in the anime community are competent, ~ne?
Well duh, naturally you'd get flamed for something like this. I know it's already a long time since you posted this, but there are plenty of good reasons to use ffdshow.

First of all, it's fast. It actually decodes divx5 with less processor usage than divx5's own decoder. Secondly, it (atleast the newer versions) works with files encoded with almost any version of xvid and divx while their own decoders once again stumble every now and then. Only packed bitstream with 2 or more consecutive b-frames is a big no no. Another thing ffdshow has going for it is rather effective post-processing (though unfortunately post-processing is broken in quite a few ffdshow versions).