AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-29, 03:53   Link #841
all_flying

FMP won't come. Why? because they didn't sell. Haruhi will come if she want to (Speaking about timing). Key, should win over KyoAni in 2013 if they want "Rewrite" to be animated by KyoAni (I don't care about LB anymore). And "K-ON!" is officially "over" (Probably, because one of the staff said something about "maybe the movie is the last project of K-ON! anime"). Also, Kyoto Animation =/= Sunrise/Toei Animation.

See? The wind has changed, its time for this studio to do something different. And about that adolescent romance LN, probably they would do an OVA. Well, you know to fills the leisure time in a productive way. If the OVA doing well, they might go for a TV series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Haruhi is made when Kadokawa want it to be made, it's their call if they want to sit on it for a couple years and try and push other franchises like Nichijou (which was the 49th best selling manga of 2011 thanks to the anime) and Hyou-Ka.
So, it is true that the poor sales of BDs is Kadokawa's fault?

Really, Hatta couples should think twice before signing something with them
Old 2011-12-29, 13:29   Link #842
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...i-shitai-anime

Well another KyoAni anime it seems. When did they transform into AIC? What the heck? Where is Haruhi? Lol...
WHAT THE ................

So two KyoAni shows? So... I'm guessing slated for summer...
Old 2011-12-30, 02:00   Link #843
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...i-shitai-anime

Well another KyoAni anime it seems. When did they transform into AIC? What the heck?
So much for the "quality VS quantity" defense. Rom-com? Playing super-safe and super easy, eh Kyoani?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Or the Little Buster fans. Though FMP fans need to stop being in denial
I've already stop expecting Kyoani to ever animate FMP. Though I still have some tiny hope that due to some unlikely miracle another studio ended up with the rights so at least someone would continue it. It's not like it's the first time FMP switched studios.
Old 2011-12-30, 02:37   Link #844
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
So much for the "quality VS quantity" defense. Rom-com? Playing super-safe and super easy, eh Kyoani?
WTF? Are you seriously trashing an anime that hasn't even been made yet just because it's said to be a romance? ...wow. WOW.
Old 2011-12-30, 02:46   Link #845
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
WTF? Are you seriously trashing an anime that hasn't even been made yet just because it's said to be a romance? ...wow. WOW.
Oh, I'm not "trashing" it because it's romance (I don't even think "trashing" is the right word) - heck, it'll probably be decent (but nothing memorable, as was the case of just about every other rom-com anime I've watched the last three years). It's just that rom-com's are pretty much a "safe" genre because all those lonely loveless otakus will always devour such stories. Kyoani wouldn't even have to try hard - just put a love triangle, some pretty drawings and animations (and don't forget Fanservice! Tits! Stockings! All the she-bang!) and Bam! Enough money to overcome Nichijou's disappointing sale.

And no, this won't be the first time Kyoani plays it lazy/easy *cough* Endless Eight *cough*
Old 2011-12-30, 03:09   Link #846
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Oh, I'm not "trashing" it because it's romance (I don't even think "trashing" is the right word) - heck, it'll probably be decent (but nothing memorable, as was the case of just about every other rom-com anime I've watched the last three years). It's just that rom-com's are pretty much a "safe" genre because all those lonely loveless otakus will always devour such stories. Kyoani wouldn't even have to try hard - just put a love triangle, some pretty drawings and animations (and don't forget Fanservice! Tits! Stockings! All the she-bang!) and Bam! Enough money to overcome Nichijou's disappointing sale.

And no, this won't be the first time Kyoani plays it lazy/easy *cough* Endless Eight *cough*
Wasn't Nichijou also considered part of a "safe" genre for KyoAni?

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-12-30, 03:22   Link #847
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Is it? Nichijou was based on a relatively obscure 4-koma. It's not filled with dialogues specifically made for otakus to relate as was lucky Star, nor was it an adaptation of Key like Clannad and the others, which has a secure fanbase.
Old 2011-12-30, 09:31   Link #848
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Nichijyou was far from safe. It wasn't popular to begin with. It had hard to moe-fy character designs. It had a niche type of humor. Nichijyou was a comedy. Safe for KyoAni is moe.

btw, Nichijyou wasn't a 4koma.

Quote:

More Haruhi would overcome Nichijyou's bad sales. Rewrite or LB! would overcome them. I think that Kadokawa just wants to use KyoAni to promote some of their properties more than anything. Same case with Nichijyou, the only difference is that this is more marketable.

Also. E8 wasn't lazy. There was obviously a lot effort put into them. Its either stupidity or trolling, not laziness imho.
Old 2011-12-30, 12:20   Link #849
all_flying

Next KyoAni adaptation: from the very old material (like a ten years old novel and I didn't find it anywhere) and a very young one.

Quote:
KyoAni less play safe and never play easy. Even with their colab with Key (If you want to compare it with the next-door-studio). Besides, its not like they made any crime so far (Like any other heavy-filled-fanservice-anime lately), so we can expect more than just .... whatever you might think about rom-com genre.

And c'mon. Its Kyoto Animation we're talking about. Not some random studios like A-1 or AIC.
Old 2011-12-30, 13:15   Link #850
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm under the impression that KyoAni is production the Romance-Comedy one themselves (it won a award). The first one...the young readers Mystery novel based series, is produced by Kadokawa.
Old 2011-12-30, 13:25   Link #851
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_flying View Post
Next KyoAni adaptation: from the very old material (like a ten years old novel and I didn't find it anywhere) and a very young one.

KyoAni less play safe and never play easy. Even with their colab with Key (If you want to compare it with the next-door-studio). Besides, its not like they made any crime so far (Like any other heavy-filled-fanservice-anime lately), so we can expect more than just .... whatever you might think about rom-com genre.

And c'mon. Its Kyoto Animation we're talking about. Not some random studios like A-1 or AIC.

Man sorry but they usually play it pretty safe and easy by my standards. Almost all of their shows have come from already pretty popular source material and while it can be argued that the popularity of the anime they made from them eventually gave back to that source material over time in the form of further increased recognition for the franchises in question I don't think you can deny that bringing in fanbases like Key's or the various hit light novels from Kadokawa that they've been given to adapt have really helped them get a head start when it comes to the popularity of their shows.

As far as I can see the only real risk in this business model is in making sure the adaptation of the source is faithful and other than that it's a matter of sitting back and watching the profits role in. Pretty safe, simple and easy to manage business model if you ask me.
Old 2011-12-30, 14:17   Link #852
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Personally, I think it's more accurate to say that KyoAni has safe properties than safe genres. Until they get people excited about their work again, playing with genres they're known for can only do so much.

And I don't just mean "well, KyoAni is a pretty good studio" kind of excited. I mean the kind of excitement that accompanied their productions from 2006-2009. Don't know about you people, but I noticed a immense difference in the anticipation I saw for Lucky Star in 2007 and K-On! in 2009 versus Nichijou in 2011. The "new KyoAni work" reverence just isn't there anymore. K-On! and Haruhi are still revered, the studio that made them not so much.

And yes, I can't help but notice that Endless Eight falls between the launch of the last great KyoAni franchise and a flop. I'm thinking that killed an awful lot of the momentum behind the studio - and Kadokawa's insistence on doing 13 volumes for 26 episodes as opposed to the industry standard 9 probably did the rest.

I see little chance for these new properties to achieve the sort of success the Key trilogy, Haruhi, K-On!, or Lucky Star did. Now that said, I'm not going to rule out the idea that they're playing it safe, because the announcements really make it feel like they're doing marketing for Kadokawa. Or perhaps not so safe given Kadokawa's track record in anime the last year. But that's because of the business arrangements, not the genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Man sorry but they usually play it pretty safe and easy by my standards. Almost all of their shows have come from already pretty popular source material and while it can be argued that the popularity of the anime they made from them eventually gave back to that source material over time in the form of further increased recognition for the franchises in question I don't think you can deny that bringing in fanbases like Key's or the various hit light novels from Kadokawa that they've been given to adapt have really helped them get a head start when it comes to the popularity of their shows.

As far as I can see the only real risk in this business model is in making sure the adaptation of the source is faithful and other than that it's a matter of sitting back and watching the profits role in. Pretty safe, simple and easy to manage business model if you ask me.
I'd always heard that Haruhi wasn't a major hit before the KyoAni got its hands on it. Ditto for K-On. Air would be the major exception, and even that sold 3X what the previous attempt at adapting a Key work did.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2011-12-30 at 14:34.
Old 2011-12-30, 16:20   Link #853
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Pretty safe, simple and easy to manage business model if you ask me.
Sounds pretty awesome to me.
Old 2011-12-30, 19:29   Link #854
all_flying

Quote:

Someone already said something similar as the bold text in the next thread. And it turned out not be the case

Almost all? 5 out of 11 is indeed pretty "almost all". Besides, Just how far the head start (Getting fans attention early on) thingy helps popularity of their next shows I wonder? Studios like DEEN, Madhouse, JC Staff, Production I.G already done it way before KyoAni - Key colab. And you know the result is.
Old 2011-12-30, 19:45   Link #855
Bri

Quote:
Simple is not the same as easy. Kyoani's use of fairly popular properties is off set by their all eggs in one basket approach. They really can't accept the majority of their projects not to turn a profit while waiting for that one gem to come along.

Another risk is their huge overhead. The studio has a staff of their own animators on the payroll. They don't simply hire people for a project. The studio has invested in a training school and are early adapters of digital animation. Quality animation comes at a price. Their capital is in their animation staff, Kyoani can't simply sack the majority of their animators after a project.
Old 2011-12-30, 21:57   Link #856
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I'd always heard that Haruhi wasn't a major hit before the KyoAni got its hands on it. Ditto for K-On. Air would be the major exception, and even that sold 3X what the previous attempt at adapting a Key work did.
Making hits out of mediocrity, eh?

I kid, I kid.... at least for 2 of these examples.

Pro Tip: Don't watch Kanon 1982 2002. It makes Angel Beats look well paced. And honestly Key's original character designs are not very good too. If anything I credit Kyoani the most with making the Key girls much more attractive in the anime. (But especially Kotomi, Tomoyo, and Mai... I'm clearly not biased)

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-12-30, 23:28   Link #857
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

This is one of those cases where a picture really is worth a thousand words:

Spoiler for Kanon 2002 v Kanon 2006:

Spoiler for Air Movie (Toei) v Air TV (KyoAni):

And just for fun, some other visual novel adaptations from the same time period:
Spoiler for Various 2003-2006 VN adaptations:

A few look good (like Utawarerumono), but for the most part, I have to say I'm pretty sure that Air did not sell on Key's name alone.

Old 2011-12-31, 00:20   Link #858
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Making hits out of mediocrity, eh?

I kid, I kid.... at least for 2 of these examples.

Pro Tip: Don't watch Kanon 1982 2002. It makes Angel Beats look well paced. And honestly Key's original character designs are not very good too. If anything I credit Kyoani the most with making the Key girls much more attractive in the anime. (But especially Kotomi, Tomoyo, and Mai... I'm clearly not biased)
The one in jest joke I would make is that everybody else did such a shitty job at adapting the Key works previously that all Kyoani really had to do was an average job and it would still look like a masterpiece by comparison.

I can certainly see why some people see Kyoani as something of a savior when it comes to the VA scene, but I guess it's a good thing that other studios are starting to pick up the slack in this area as well, but (again) oh boy I guess we'll always have Deen won't we?
Old 2011-12-31, 01:08   Link #859
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
The one in jest joke I would make is that everybody else did such a shitty job at adapting the Key works previously that all Kyoani really had to do was an average job and it would still look like a masterpiece by comparison.

I can certainly see why some people see Kyoani as something of a savior when it comes to the VA scene, but I guess it's a good thing that other studios are starting to pick up the slack in this area as well, but (again) oh boy I guess we'll always have Deen won't we?
I'm always torn here... on one hand, I consider KyoAni's Air a huge leap forward compared to much of what was out at the time. But at the same time, I'm an EF fanboy who somewhat resents how KyoAni's work overshadowed so many good VN (and VN influenced) works in the 2007-2008 period.

EF's visuals might be an acquired taste, but it sure as heck looked great:
Spoiler for EF: A Tale of Memories/EF: A Tale of Melodies screencaps:

Old 2011-12-31, 02:02   Link #860
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:

Shinbo doing Key.

Sweet dreams.

Or Deen.... dear god.

White Fox is the future...

In any case, Outfoxzero has good points-- I think Ef series will improve your impression of Shaft and VN adaptations. For one thing, it's not nearly as seizure inducing. Witness the goodness of c cubed's and baka test's director, and then weep when you realize c cubed exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
This is one of those cases where a picture really is worth a thousand words:

Spoiler for Kanon 2002 v Kanon 2006:

Spoiler for Air Movie (Toei) v Air TV (KyoAni):

And just for fun, some other visual novel adaptations from the same time period:
Spoiler for Various 2003-2006 VN adaptations:

A few look good (like Utawarerumono), but for the most part, I have to say I'm pretty sure that Air did not sell on Key's name alone.
And weirdly enough Toei actually gets the edge on Air. Kyoani's designs are eh... goldfish? It's pretty funny since they actually did a respectable job on it. Toei Clannad was too damned blinding to watch (what did JJ Abrams take over?), though those of you that don't like the After Story may enjoy the alternate ending.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-12-31 at 02:15.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios