Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-26, 17:52   Link #41
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 609
That was early chapter. Luffy is strong. His haki and his control over it is impressive. Since the crews union Luffy has not pushed himself to the limit at all. I can't wait to see his haki put to the test and the boss in this arch who is going to do it.
Old 2010-12-27, 03:33   Link #42
secretzfan
*Fansubber

This is getting so good
Old 2010-12-27, 07:05   Link #43
janipani

Sanji's blood goes wrong places while excited. That sort of thing you have to go see a doctor for. Heh..

Hilarious chapter. I wonder why comedy works so much better in manga than in anime. I always feel they over do it in anime.

Well Jinbei's message can be about new boss and his abilities.. I bet it's some sort of warning!

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2010-12-27, 08:27   Link #44
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Jinbei's message is probably something along the lines of meeting up somewhere in the new world.
Old 2010-12-27, 13:02   Link #45
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Jinbei's message is probably something along the lines of meeting up somewhere in the new world.
I hope they hurry there. They don't have time to be here long if that is true
Old 2010-12-27, 18:36   Link #46
Wolcik

Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
If SH were chased by all mermaids things would be very complicated, but as it turns out they are just wanted by those evil pirates - and they doesn't seem to be too strong to take too many chapters. We'll visit all of Mermaid Island and the go to the new world
Old 2010-12-28, 06:15   Link #47
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
I hope they hurry there. They don't have time to be here long if that is true
What makes it so imperative they meet with Jinbei immediately? They can take their time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jinbei's message is nothing more than a vivre card.

I really wish we wouldn't judge an arc by a chapter and half. Water 7 seemed to be plenty relaxing if we just consider the first chapter.
Old 2010-12-28, 12:48   Link #48
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Oda is seriously Miuratogashyzing himself. This is getting really annoying.

Oi, oi, that's going too far..... Oda doesn't literally go on breaks for years on end like Togashi does, now. Besides, I think there's actually a perfectly valid reason why Oda's taking the extra week off for the holidays.
Old 2010-12-28, 21:40   Link #49
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Luffy taking over the Weekly Playboy~?

I'm gonna have to see that~
Old 2010-12-29, 09:24   Link #50
Butagami

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Luffy taking over the Weekly Playboy~?

I'm gonna have to see that~
Nami Pin-Up?! Oda you magnificent Bastard!
Old 2010-12-29, 09:34   Link #51
raziel16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolcik View Post
and they doesn't seem to be too strong to take too many chapters. We'll visit all of Mermaid Island and the go to the new world
Well, Hammond gang are definitely small fries, but the Arlong-like guy probably not. The neptune army vs new fishman pirates... sigh... it's alabasta all over again.
Old 2010-12-29, 15:42   Link #52
ellifeedn
Thinker

Off-topic: Mentioning Alabasta reminded me of an idea I had. I thought the covers for volumes 21 and 42 had a pattern and, following suite, volume 63 (with the crew in Fishman Island) would too.
Old 2010-12-30, 00:54   Link #53
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
I think there's actually a perfectly valid reason why Oda's taking the extra week off for the holidays.
How is that a valid reason?
Old 2010-12-30, 01:01   Link #54
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
How is that a valid reason?
Oda is designing (and presumably drawing) dozens of colour Cover Pages for all of Shueisha's publications. How is that not a valid reason for a chapter break (in order to do all the work)?
Old 2010-12-30, 14:41   Link #55
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Hi:

I've just come to understand that while One Piece has potential to be a highly serious, extremely delightfully amazing animated series, the author refuses to take that road, and consistently chooses to shoot it down with unserious folly. The sheer potential of One Piece was very powerfully hinted at during the Water Seven, CP9 arcs, and Sky Piea.

It was so compelling. The villains were cold and their motives were solid. There was no triviality behind the whole thing. It was, and based on those arcs it still is, obvious that Oda is constantly aware of what the story would be like if he took and brought it down to a more "realistic" level.

I am slowly managing to forget that raw potential, and just accept that he doesn't want to do that. I'm sure he is fully aware for example, that Impel Down could have had a much more profound effect on the readers if he had made it a more grave arc. Yet at the same time, he ended up doing what was needed, in a strange way:

My whole hope for Impel Down was that the worst criminals would escape: and it did happen. Not only did they escape, but several of them are now members of a single pirate crew which openly used the government to infiltrate Impel Down, then opportunistically, right in front of the Marines' faces, took Whitebeard's fearsome powers.

See, the thing isn't that Oda isn't getting the storyline right. I think the problem that a lot of people (including myself) are having is getting over Cypher Pol 9 (especially Lucci), and the dark feel of the whole time that Robin was in defect during Water Seven. It's the way Oda went about it that made those arcs the best. And that whole atmosphere of there being serious issues at hand is lacking in the more recent arcs.

But at the same time, the plot is getting thickened, and the correct events are being lined up. I guess the best way to begin to truly enjoy One Piece again for me would be to just think of it as a really well written child's picture-book. Then the unseriousness would fit in perfectly. He does have to cater for the kids reading the story after all.

EDIT: Another moment that just makes you get frustrated at how the current series of events is being handled is that profoundly grave moment in Sky Piea where you felt the utter hopelessness that everyone in the story did when Enel had the "last survivors" of his game on that level of the island, and he was asking them to join him in his quest to his idealized world. Nobody could stand up to him, and you felt it through the pages. Back then, Oda had a light storytelling style, but he kept the serious things serious. I'm sort of left in limbo with the current state of things given how he really trashes certain characters around now. It's so hard to get used to when I keep always having my hopes up for another arc as beautiful as Enies Lobby or Sky Piea.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2010-12-30, 14:53   Link #56
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Oda is designing (and presumably drawing) dozens of colour Cover Pages for all of Shueisha's publications. How is that not a valid reason for a chapter break (in order to do all the work)?

Oh no james, I'm afraid that's not a good enough reason at all. It's obvious that Oda could draw all that stuff in like, a millisecond or something. No, no, he's just a lazy bastard who'd rather play DQ and bang his hot wife rather than doing actual work. Why would he need any more fan support when he's surely made enough money to set him for the rest of his life? No, no, let us mere mortals concern ourselves with mundane affairs such as "work" while the higher powers (mangaka) enjoy their eternal leisure! I mean, it's not like they actually get tired or anything......

.....In all seriousness though,I still feel that Oda's more deserving of his breaks than most other mangaka out there (note that I said most, not all, since there ARE some guilty parties out there who shall remain..... nameless *coughhacktogashicough*). If he wants to take another month or so off, I'd have no objections. And hey, at least he doesn't bitch about his workload like his hero Toriyama did.....
Old 2010-12-31, 00:21   Link #57
trafalgarcito

yea but remember this is the reunion arc, we want more fun than seriousness...the new world will surely have an spiritual vibe, they have to mature a little...luffy has to accept the responsability of restoring society to its original order (like jesus did) and that should be interesting and epic...
Old 2010-12-31, 04:29   Link #58
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
I mean, it's not like they actually get tired or anything......
Oh, I know an actual professional mangaka through a friend, and they don't work half as hard as you seem to suggest they do.

The top ones especially have up to 5 assistants helping them with their work, and they do all the grunt work for them.

The sarcasm is not appreciated. Especially when you don't seem to have any idea what is going on at all...
Old 2010-12-31, 09:12   Link #59
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Oh, I know an actual professional mangaka through a friend, and they don't work half as hard as you seem to suggest they do.

The top ones especially have up to 5 assistants helping them with their work, and they do all the grunt work for them.
So? Oda has commented in the past that he only uses his assisstants for background work, but even if he used all of them (I think he has 3, but I could be wrong) to do all of the work, they would still be working for a day or so to complete just one cover design, and Shueisha requested over 30 unique colour designs. So, once again, there is nothing wrong with Oda taking a break to do work for the company that owns him...
Old 2010-12-31, 13:01   Link #60
marvelB

^Yep, Oda's a pretty darn busy guy. Heck, recently he even mentioned that he's only been home once during the past year (although his family has visited him at work, at least). I think that should speak volumes about his devotion to his profession right there......

And for the record, neither Togashi nor Miura use assistants. I believe that too, speaks volumes about their work ethic (well, I can't really be too hard on Miura, since at least his artwork is so gorgeous and insanely detailed, but as for the other guy.....).

.....But enough about talk about manga authors' work habits for now. Getting back on topic, I'm still hopng that we'll get to see some really powerful members from the New Merman pirate crew, as I've said earlier in the thread. Now that the Straw-Hats have completed their training, they could use some suitable opponents to test their new abilities against, and who better than some pirates from a race that are naturally stronger than humans in the first place? Personally, I think it would be cool if Jones had a crewmember who's mastered both Merman Karate AND Rokushiki (would make for a pretty fun match, no? ) As for Jones himself, I don't really expect him to be as strong as Jinbei, but I do hope that he's at least pretty close to his level. And hey, if Van der Decken's crew is allied with Jones, then all the better! Perhaps the ghost captain himself would be a good match for Brooke or something (the "Soul King" has yet to receive a proper boss fight, after all).
Closed Thread

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion