AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-06-26, 09:59   Link #1
Rokl

What about us? (Europeans)

Hi, this is only a suggestion that I've been wondering about a few weeks now, and I think it won't work.

Is there any possibility to do an own server to the Europeans who can't download anime that is lisenced in America? And I mean anime that we Europeans may never seen.

I feel kinda embarassed now.
Rokl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 10:07   Link #2
Kensuke

There was previously a discussion about this, but it was rejected because its just too hard to keep in track of which series is licenced in which country.
For example Rose of Versailles, which is available in animesuki is (or atleast was) licensed in our country (Finland), unfortunately only in dub.

EDIT: look at this thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=9233
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 10:21   Link #3
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokl
Hi, this is only a suggestion that I've been wondering about a few weeks now, and I think it won't work.

Is there any possibility to do an own server to the Europeans who can't download anime that is lisenced in America? And I mean anime that we Europeans may never seen.

I feel kinda embarassed now.
Hmm, europeans can buy any R1 anime without problems online. Apart from that most anime stores in europe allready import from the States.

In short any anime licensed in America can be bought here as well. I never had any problem at all getting my hands on a show i wanted, even shows only licensed in Australia are easy to get...

Besides, who would you implement that server? Would you lock out all non-european IP's (I don't even know if that is possible) ?
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 10:27   Link #4
Thany
Unfair

There are always alternatives for Europeans to get the licensed animes since there aren't 100% of the fansubbing group that will follow the ethics.
Personally, I wouldn't buy an imported US licensed DVD since you shouldn't forget that even if some Europeans can easily read/write English, it's not always the same for spoken English, it's kinda hard to get what's said if your mother language isn't English, I've tested more than once
Old 2004-06-26, 19:06   Link #5
Killerattacks

Im not really interested in this topic but I want to make some things clear:

Quote:
Hmm, europeans can buy any R1 anime without problems online. Apart from that most anime stores in europe allready import from the States.
But the point is: Most europeans have a DVD player with a european region code (2) and not with the american region code(1). Of course there are _some_ region free players but who would buy a second DVD player (and a good one costs $$$) only for anime if he already owns one...or two or three or whatever?

Quote:
In short any anime licensed in America can be bought here as well. I never had any problem at all getting my hands on a show i wanted, even shows only licensed in Australia are easy to get...
This point is wrong at least for where I live - germany. In Germany there is a law, that all the moviestuff you can buy has to be rated first by an official institution called "fsk" (believe me all movies/series here are fsk rated) to prevent childrens and teens watching stuff which could cause negative effects on them. To make a long story short, because of this imported stuff, which is of course not fsk rated, is illegal. And because of this some shops which sold imported animes were sued by a german company which licenses and sells anime (think of it like another ADV or mediablasters).

Quote:
Besides, who would you implement that server? Would you lock out all non-european IP's (I don't even know if that is possible) ?
That shouldnt be impossible. Like all IPs are assigned to their countrys. Just take for example azureus' country locator plugin which shows you from which countries the peers youre downloading from are.
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 19:09   Link #6
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerattacks
That shouldnt be impossible. Like all IPs are assigned to their countrys. Just take for example azureus' country locator plugin which shows you from which countries the peers youre downloading from are.
Proxies ^_^
Never forget them
So this wouldn't help much
Old 2004-06-26, 19:40   Link #7
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Im not really interested in this topic but I want to make some things clear:

But the point is: Most europeans have a DVD player with a european region code (2) and not with the american region code(1). Of course there are _some_ region free players but who would buy a second DVD player (and a good one costs $$$) only for anime if he already owns one...or two or three or whatever?
Well most DVD players can be changed to region free, just look up the way to do it, those are pretty easy to find on the net. Also I thought DVD players on computers are region free, just play the DVD on your comp, hook the TV on your comp as a second monitor and you're set, not really a problem to watch non region 2 DVD's

Quote:
This point is wrong at least for where I live - germany. In Germany there is a law, that all the moviestuff you can buy has to be rated first by an official institution called "fsk" (believe me all movies/series here are fsk rated) to prevent childrens and teens watching stuff which could cause negative effects on them. To make a long story short, because of this imported stuff, which is of course not fsk rated, is illegal. And because of this some shops which sold imported animes were sued by a german company which licenses and sells anime (think of it like another ADV or mediablasters).
You can still order them online then, that shouldn't pose a problem at all.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 22:24   Link #8
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Well most DVD players can be changed to region free, just look up the way to do it, those are pretty easy to find on the net. Also I thought DVD players on computers are region free, just play the DVD on your comp, hook the TV on your comp as a second monitor and you're set, not really a problem to watch non region 2 DVD's

You can still order them online then, that shouldn't pose a problem at all.
I haven't seen a region-free DVD drive for a PC yet... The drive, though, should let you switch from one region to another a certain number of times before locking onto one.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 23:44   Link #9
Lefteris_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
I haven't seen a region-free DVD drive for a PC yet... The drive, though, should let you switch from one region to another a certain number of times before locking onto one.
Solution: AnyDVD & DVD Region+CSS Free.

Yes, they both work with RPC2 drives.
Old 2004-06-27, 00:15   Link #10
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefteris_D
Solution: AnyDVD & DVD Region+CSS Free.

Yes, they both work with RPC2 drives.
Hmm. Sorry about that. I meant to say that I've never seen a PC drive come out of the box region-free.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote