AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-07, 04:35   Link #141
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Honestly, the first episode surprised me. Having never read the manga itself and merely reading about the premise of the show in general...let's just say I expected it to be a darker and more straightforward telling of said premise.

However, I can't say I'm unhappy with the way Sankarea uses the zombie premise - and it does make a change from other anime that involve zombies just as much as they involve apocalypses.

Two rather likable leads, OPs and EDs that fit remarkably well (and of which the former is now stuck in my head like Hanasaku Iroha's OP music was - damn you nano.RIPE ) and a premise that takes a different view from the norm regarding zombies.

Yep, I'm here to stay
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 06:20   Link #142
Akarin

The episode 1 was actually pretty good. Very nice animation and visuals, good job DEEN.

I hope Saten-san Rea won't become like The Walking Dead zombie:
Spoiler for disturbing image:

Picked up a new manga.

. . . . .

Last edited by Pellissier; 2012-04-07 at 06:29. Reason: please hide questionable/disturbing images, so that people can choose if they want to see them or not.
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 07:01   Link #143
Arya

What I liked the most is the quality animation, at first I thought the art style was just rough, approximate (and I didn't know about DEEN back then ). But after a very little I changed my mind. It was really good. I also like the way they are handling the little *fanservice*, may I call it as such? Not pushing, but subtle. Fitting the atmosphere. Rea is really cute (even if a bit too naive), and the childhood friend too.

What about the premises? Well I'll hold on until they unfold the real direction they are gonna take, because so far they could go anywhere. And that father's reference is quite awkward to handle, even given the premises of the show. And the preview seems to keep that feeling in some way. So I'll wait and see.

Spoiler for episode 1 and Rea:

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 08:09   Link #144
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akarin View Post
This girl when just this avatar only reminds me of a character from To Aru Railgun.(Forgot who.)

I am not taking the avatar, so have fun taking them.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 08:14   Link #145
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
I will take this! Thanks!
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 10:18   Link #146
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
I'll take this one.
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 13:44   Link #147
Clarste
Human

It surprises me how many people are uncomfortable with this series just because of the premise. Is comedic necrophilia really that much worse than comedic pedophilia or comedic incest, which have long been staples of anime? I mean, it'd be one thing if we were expected to take it seriously, but it's pretty obvious that he's being characterized as a weirdo.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 13:57   Link #148
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I've never seen comedic paedophilia or incest actually happen in anime. I've only ever seen it take the form of a fat freak who gets smacked around by a girl with a paper fan whenever he gets too disgusting.

It's fine if they play up his bizarre attraction as comical but if there is some actual romance, then it's just weird...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 14:10   Link #149
mochichan

I didn't realize that many people are that weirded out by the necrophilia and incest premise..well I was kinda weirded out by the cousin thing....but I didn't really care much about the necrophiliac since I just thought this is just them trying to be different with a weirdo character anyway. And it's not like the guy go to graveyards and dig up corpses, he just keep it to his zombie movies so it's not that creepy for me.

Alot of anime is kinda pedo or at least have some lolita characters. IDK about it being comedic but it do happen ie Nisemonogatari Mayoi Hachikuji. It is a staple of anime and people have overlooked it so w/e

Last edited by mochichan; 2012-04-07 at 18:52.
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 16:52   Link #150
Dawnstorm

I haven't read the manga, so I don't know at all what direction this show will take, but I think the necrophilia angle isn't purely a comedy device. There seems to be a half-understood metaphoric angle to it, paired - maybe - with a careful-what-you-wish-for plot?

There's a lot of repressed emotion going on (= "zombification in life"). It's most noticable in the main characters family. A key scene was at Baabu's funeral, where Meru asked whether she had to control her emotions even in this situation... Note that the only one smiling in the entire family is the dead mother - on a picture. On the metaphorical level, there's a blurring of alive/dead going on, and that may well feed into the main character's fetish. It's not necessarily real necrophilia. (This anime sort of reminds me - in a very loose fashion - of the film Harold and Maude; except without Maude.)

And then there's Rea's screaming into a well...

This could turn out to be an emotionally taxing watch, with the zombie/necrophilia angle as bait-and-switch distraction. This could become very dark, but not so much because of actual death. I'm very curious. The surprise of the season, so far (beating even Shirokuma Kafe).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 19:39   Link #151
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Everything was passable except the end. I mean, wtf... we gotta give it all away? It was about to end on a really nice note too.

Rea was HHNNGGHHH though.
Old 2012-04-07, 19:58   Link #152
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Not gonna lie, I've been waiting for this since I first read the announcement. The preview only pumped me up. The first episode exceeded my expectation and I'm not even into whole zombie trend. I just like all the characters here and Rea is just so cute.

If only the anime continues just like this, I'd be happy. Now all I can do is just echo all the positive sentiments before me. This one just has all the right ingredients to be one of the better weird romance anime. Even with all the dark elements being hinted, this one didn't really tread to emotional affair. The anime seems to be one of those schizophrenic anime or an emotional rollercoaster.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 21:21   Link #153
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Did he just say hes has necrophilia
Old 2012-04-07, 22:55   Link #154
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Did he just say hes has necrophilia
Zombies are undead.
Old 2012-04-07, 23:07   Link #155
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Is comedic necrophilia really that much worse than comedic pedophilia or comedic incest, which have long been staples of anime?
For one thing, there aren't many times, heck none that I can remember at this moment, where there was comedic pedo/incest where the character actually meant it. In this case, the protagonist really has necrophilia, which aids the disturbance.
That, and well yeah, even if the character is underage or blood-related, I do find it better than a dead body.

Quote:
IDK about it being comedic but it do happen ie Nisemonogatari Mayoi Hachikuji. It is a staple of anime and people have overlooked it so w/e
That's as best, lolicon. It's not like the protagonist seriously loves Mayoi, much less because she is young.

Quote:
. . .
Oi, -->

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 23:16   Link #156
Anime-fan10

I'm definitely watching this series. The first episode really drew me in and I'm looking forward to the next one. I enjoy a good horror anime and I think this one won't disappoint me. The main male character is very eccentric, but I feel like he has a lot of repressed emotions involving the death of his mother and there's some sort of correlation of that with zombies. I never read the manga, but we'll see where this goes...
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 00:52   Link #157
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Maybe I just find necrophilia too alien to take it seriously here. It doesn't bother me in this anime or manga at all. Pure fantasy, without any really gory images. If we had anime versions of some of the "guro" images floating around the Net (real dismembered corpses, etc.) that would be a different matter. I think the notion of death is real here, and gives the situation some of its interest, but as for any offensive imagery, I haven't seen it. Sanka may be "dead," but she seems pretty alive to me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 00:57   Link #158
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Sanka may be "dead," but she seems pretty alive to me.
Same here,when the dead person,walks,talks,laughs,cries like a normal person you can tell me it's technically necrophilia but I'm not going t be weirded out by it.
Old 2012-04-08, 03:40   Link #159
webkid94
*Author

A DEEN show that doesn't suck from the beginning? I-It's actually possible..? But yeah this episode screamed SHAFT (Chihiro's troll face a prime example), but I really like the main characters and the OP/ED are awesome.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 04:42   Link #160
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I enjoyed it. Especially how nonchalant it was about his necrophilia (both concerning his cat, and ideal girls). For some reason, I found that all incredibly hilarious.

Not that it was perfect. Cat-ear hairstyle for our male lead really adds a sense of generic shounen show to a show that doesn't seem to be...generic shounen. I am hoping it's not a harbringer of the show actually being generic shounen hiding behind an episode one disguise.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, romance, shounen, slice-of-unlife, supernatural, zombie moe, zombies