AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note Episode 29 Rating
Perfect 10 29 36.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 23.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 8.75%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-04, 23:41   Link #41
Arkwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe View Post
Yes, I know he always believed Light wasn't Kira. But, he took the fact that he could see Light's lifespan as something of a proof that Light wasn't Kira. In other words, why is the fact that he saw Light's lifespan a "de-facto proof" that Light was not Kira?

He already knows that Kira gave up his death note, and Kira's lifespan should be visible like everyone else's (since Kira is no longer the owner of a death note). So, Light's lifespan should be visible regardless of whether he was Kira or not.

Whether or not he could see Light's lifespan should have no bearing on whether Light was Kira. This seems to be goof from what I can tell...
If Kira was no longer the owner of a notebook, the killings would stop. It's pretty unlikely for Kira to give up his only notebook to the police and halt his judgments in order to have the raid conducted. So, Souichiro can reasonably assume that Kira still has a notebook other than the one he sent to the police. Also, if Misa kills any new criminals after the notebook is sent to the police, that proves it.

Also, the rules about giving up death notes aren't written down, so the police may be somewhat or fully unknowledgeable about how that works.
Old 2007-05-04, 23:50   Link #42
avmoghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkwright View Post
If Kira was no longer the owner of a notebook, the killings would stop. It's pretty unlikely for Kira to give up his only notebook to the police and halt his judgments in order to have the raid conducted. So, Souichiro can reasonably assume that Kira still has a notebook other than the one he sent to the police. Also, if Misa kills any new criminals after the notebook is sent to the police, that proves it.

Also, the rules about giving up death notes aren't written down, so the police may be somewhat or fully unknowledgeable about how that works.
The killings should have stopped and I think they have stopped - I don't recall any Kira killings after Light had turned the death not over. When were we shown that the Kira killings continued after Kira had turned over the notebook?

Misa would not kill anyone because Light honestly wants the police to believe that Kira is communicating with them and turning over his notebook. Misa killing more people would be tell the police that either a) Kira was not the one who contacted them or b) Kira has another notebook. Light does not want the police to know either a or b.

Ryuk did the eye deal with Souchiro - it wouldn't make any sense if Souchiro just simply made the eye deal without asking for details. I'm quite sure Souchiro would have asked about what he would be able to see with the eyes - and Ryuk must have replied that he can see the lifespans of non-Death note owners.
Old 2007-05-05, 00:02   Link #43
Lordshin
(´・ω・`)/ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Spoiler:
Yeah, the current human owner has to touch the note before anyone can see the shinigami...
But what im wondering is how Shnyder became the owner... lol was he the one that made the trade?
Old 2007-05-05, 04:26   Link #44
mishka

So...Did Light plan all that...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-05, 04:37   Link #45
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I gave 8, but my major qualm about this part of Death Note is always the same, and I'm going to lower my ratings from now on if things don't change (which I doubt). The pace is horribly fast, rushed and I simply cannot take a moment to focus my mind on a single happening, that the following event has started and it's already on its core. This is way different from how they handled things on the whole first part (before the Yotsuba arc).

Another complaint I have is about the new characters. If we got a lot of time to know L and sympathize with him, Mello and Near have literally been thrown into the scene. Very little background story, minor characterization. How am I supposed to care for them? As a proof of this I can mention that the most emotional moment of episode 29 was when they showed L (in the context of Mello and Near fighting for his succession), while I feel totally cold about the two new characters, and it can't be helped.

About Soichirou, it was quite cheap that

Spoiler for Soichirou:

Anyway, I still think they made it in a way that I can call quite impressive, but not "as impressive as it might have been". A lot of things bothered me,

Spoiler for ep.29 events:

Finally,

Spoiler for ep.29 ending:

All in all, it feels like watching another series right now. I don't recognize anymore the sheer awesomeness of the first 6 months of this show.
Old 2007-05-05, 05:00   Link #46
mishka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
All in all, it feels like watching another series right now. I don't recognize anymore the sheer awesomeness of the first 6 months of this show.
Wow...it's been 6 months already!!!

But I do agree. The series has changed alot, and Light's plans don't seem as calculated and great as they used to....or actually he doesn't seem to have a plan...I think he got too confident after L's death, and was carried away by the whole "I'm gonna build a new world" attitude, so he was caught off-gaurd by Mello and Near! I just wish that he'd pull himself together before things really get out of control!
Old 2007-05-05, 10:03   Link #47
Yukmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
So...Did Light plan all that...
Spoiler:

hmmm.........

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-05, 12:40   Link #48
Jaden

No, Misa doesn't understand the numerical system that the lifespans are shown in. Only the shinigami understand it afaik, and they're not allowed to tell humans.

Souichiro's death and the lifespans don't make much sense, BTW....a shot to the throat, if it's not just a scratch, should be almost instant death. Even if they fixed him up quickly and managed to revive him, he should be at least brain dead. Regaining consciousness for a few minutes and dying again is really unrealistic with that kind of injury.

So we can consider that his wound was really just a scratch and he died from his shortened lifespan. He would originally have died an hour later from something else, and the eye deal made things happen differently.

But wait, that's bullshit...the lifespan means that everyone's death is a predetermined, unavoidable event. so shouldn't the eye deals be predetermined too? Oh yeah, but those who possess a death note have an uncertain lifespan, as if they broke free from the shackles of fate. But they still have a lifespan, since it can be halved. Arrgh, stupid nonsense plot devices.

I guess I shouldn't be bothered by his death, it's not like anime has to be realistic. But it's still unexplainable. :/

Last edited by Jaden; 2007-05-05 at 13:18.
Old 2007-05-05, 16:23   Link #49
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

This certainly was an eventful ep... too much, i would say. Seriously, it almost seemed as if they crammed 2 episodes worth of content in to one. Scenes and events just kept jumping back and forth, without letting them settle in. The first "half" of Death Note was intense, but this just comes across as rushed.

I wasn't expecting Light's dad to kick the bucket, but somehow i really didn't care about the fact more than Light himself >.<

I Do wonder where the plot is going to lead now... the epix chase of M ? Wonder what N is going to do... team up with Light, i assume. Either way, i feel as if Death Note has lost it's special atmosphere that drew me in ever since ep1.
Old 2007-05-05, 16:37   Link #50
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
This certainly was an eventful ep... too much, i would say. Seriously, it almost seemed as if they crammed 2 episodes worth of content in to one. Scenes and events just kept jumping back and forth, without letting them settle in. The first "half" of Death Note was intense, but this just comes across as rushed.
This isn't a spoiler or anything from the manga, though i may as well place it in spoiler tags. Don't worry. :3

Spoiler:

Anyway, i found Soichiro's last scene to be done pretty nicely. Him dying with the thought that his son isn't Kira --- i'll always love that. Also, you just have to love Ryuk's final line of the episode.
Old 2007-05-05, 18:34   Link #51
Meloria

I was hoping Shidoh would get more screentime, especially with the helmet situation from the manga. Too bad I guess, felt rushed but was a good episode. Prefer it if they didn't get through this episode so quickly.
Old 2007-05-06, 02:38   Link #52
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

It probably was abit rushed, but I'm quite OK with the pace. I read the manga after I read the anime ( up to the anime point ) and boy, did they miss out quite some stuff

If i were Light, though, i would seriously feel like punching soichiro. You have him at gun- er... deathnote-point, and just as he could be killed, you start uttering righteous bullshit. Geez.
Old 2007-05-06, 03:28   Link #53
medigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordshin View Post
Yeah, the current human owner has to touch the note before anyone can see the shinigami...
But what im wondering is how Shnyder became the owner... lol was he the one that made the trade?
I think he became the owner because he killed the thug that made the trade
(He was the one who pressed the buttons to make the helicopter go kaboom)
Either that or he picked it up before anyone else did..
(hence why Mello didnt want to touch the note after Snyder died, he didnt want to become the owner)
Old 2007-05-06, 12:33   Link #54
Zek
Eyebrows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
No, Misa doesn't understand the numerical system that the lifespans are shown in. Only the shinigami understand it afaik, and they're not allowed to tell humans.

Souichiro's death and the lifespans don't make much sense, BTW....a shot to the throat, if it's not just a scratch, should be almost instant death. Even if they fixed him up quickly and managed to revive him, he should be at least brain dead. Regaining consciousness for a few minutes and dying again is really unrealistic with that kind of injury.

So we can consider that his wound was really just a scratch and he died from his shortened lifespan. He would originally have died an hour later from something else, and the eye deal made things happen differently.

But wait, that's bullshit...the lifespan means that everyone's death is a predetermined, unavoidable event. so shouldn't the eye deals be predetermined too? Oh yeah, but those who possess a death note have an uncertain lifespan, as if they broke free from the shackles of fate. But they still have a lifespan, since it can be halved. Arrgh, stupid nonsense plot devices.

I guess I shouldn't be bothered by his death, it's not like anime has to be realistic. But it's still unexplainable. :/
People with death notes still have lifespans. They just can't be seen by other note owners, for reasons unknown. It seems that any death not caused by a notebook follows a person's pre-ordained lifespan, which implies that human life in general is controlled by fate.

My question is, how does the death note factor in to all this? We know the note operates outside fate because it allows people to die at any time regardless of lifespan. How is it then that it doesn't affect people's normal lifespan? For example, even after Light became Kira he still had a determined lifespan. Does that mean that it was impossible for the police to catch him because he can't be put to the death penalty before his time?
Old 2007-05-06, 13:10   Link #55
Antonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek View Post
People with death notes still have lifespans. They just can't be seen by other note owners, for reasons unknown. It seems that any death not caused by a notebook follows a person's pre-ordained lifespan, which implies that human life in general is controlled by fate.

My question is, how does the death note factor in to all this? We know the note operates outside fate because it allows people to die at any time regardless of lifespan. How is it then that it doesn't affect people's normal lifespan? For example, even after Light became Kira he still had a determined lifespan. Does that mean that it was impossible for the police to catch him because he can't be put to the death penalty before his time?
Well if you think fate determines when people die, then fate knew Light was going to get the death note, and become kira...therefore his lifespan remains unchanged since his "fate" accounted for everything that has happened so far.
Old 2007-05-06, 14:34   Link #56
akoftroy

I believe there's a rule that says the introduction of a Death Note into a human's life can alter their predestined fate.

And Sidoh needed Snydar to touch the notebook in order for Sidoh to become the Shinigami attached to the current Death Note owner. Once that was established, anyone who touched the note would see him.
Old 2007-05-06, 18:53   Link #57
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier
Another complaint I have is about the new characters. If we got a lot of time to know L and sympathize with him, Mello and Near have literally been thrown into the scene. Very little background story, minor characterization. How am I supposed to care for them?
You care for them as an extension of L...From Kira's perspective (and thus the audience) that's what they are...I understand the lack of characterization but that's how they are buffering it in a seemingly straight-foward attempt at not re-introducing the dynamic of L (or L's disciples) vs. Light...So instead of a very new character-driven rivalry we have a rivalry still based on Light vs. L(progressively instead of reseting to get to the same point)...In other words Mello//Near vs. Light is less important than the spector of L vs. Light continuing even from beyond the grave...In an expressive and metaphorical way I think they are achieving this...

I honestly don't want Mello and Near to come close to over-shadowing L (Not that they can)...So what you see as possibly being generic I see as a continuing depth rather than the lack of a new one...

As for this episode...Man what a wild trip...Light's dad with the eyes was creepy as $hit...Light is at a very confusing state, one that's be-fitting of some over-zealous genius thinking he can balance the powers of God and that of a simple Japanese son...That little white lie by Ryruk was critical icing on the cake for Light who honestly seemed more interested in Mello's demise than his own father's...At this point I honestly can't get my finger on who Light really is...His sister a mute, his dad dead, I can only see his thurst (bordering on madness) getting even stronger with caring for his loved-ones seemingly down-graded now...

On another tangent I love the common relationship between these Shinigamis...Chaos is merely a chummy goof-around session for these guys...The scene of Ryruk stopping Chocolate Shinigami-kun from interferring was classic and made me smile during what was an overall intense-filled segment of the episode...The thing that's great for me with DeathNote is that any episode can be the one that changes everything and what to expect from the mind of the creators is almost never a given...IMO another exceptional episode despite it's overload of events...
Old 2007-05-06, 19:32   Link #58
jacotyco

In the last few eps Light looked pretty stupid, even when he had a plan it failed miserably. I wish he were smart again like in the old episodes.

At the end when the building blew up how was anybody able to survive that? Jets of flame shot out the window; every in there should have been burnt to a crisp at the very least.

Those things L would do repeatedly were cool but Near stacking dice and Mello eating chocolate is stupid, and also not cool.

I hate when good animes go bad. When the Yotsuba arc started i was highly tempted to stop watching Death Note-my favorite parts in the series is between when Light got his memories back and when he was trying to kill that FBI agent's fiancee'
Old 2007-05-07, 00:39   Link #59
Fool On The Hill

Sort of confused about something.

Were there three notebooks in this episode?

Mello had one,
Light gave up his to Ryuk,
Misa gave Light her notebook

What am I missing here? Since when were there three notebooks?
Old 2007-05-07, 04:53   Link #60
rem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool On The Hill View Post
Sort of confused about something.

Were there three notebooks in this episode?

Mello had one,
Light gave up his to Ryuk,
Misa gave Light her notebook

What am I missing here? Since when were there three notebooks?
Light also has Rem's personal notebook that he took from her remains after she died.
Closed Thread