AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2012-04-02, 23:25   Link #2201
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

The easiest on those 3 instruments, I'd say Don't Say Lazy. Pretty easy basslines and easy keyboards. though palm-muting could be a bit hard.

U&I is also a good choice. Not much palm-muting (i believe there is no palm muting in this song, except for the rhythm guitar in the solo), really nice bass and keyboard lines. the only problem here is the fast tempo (and the solo for the guitar could be hard too).

Curry Nochi Rice is more keyboard dependent (specially with that keyboard solo at the end), but the gitar and bass are fine (if you don't count the crazy guitar solo).

Fuwa Fuwa Time, it is one of the songs that really gave me a hard time learning way back. Took me a lot of nights learning the strumming patterns and stuff. Though it has a fast tempo, it's not that hard actually once you get to play it a couple of times.

Let's Go - fairly easy basslines and keyboards. the prechorus on the guitar is hard though. but the solo is fine. (I remember this being the first song to be ever tabbed from the official band score. And I was the one asking it to be tabbed. BTW, thanks CaptAwesomee for those tabs. it started a revolution on this thread).

I'm not very good in giving advice. Though i have a list of suggestions here.
Old 2012-04-03, 04:41   Link #2202
AznAndy94
The Unknown Artist

Send a message via MSN to AznAndy94 Send a message via Yahoo to AznAndy94
If everyone is going to throw their opinions out there, I might as well too:
First, try to find a drummer. It'll making jamming feel stronger. The drummer is the life of the songs.

That aside, a lot of these songs can be half-assed. There's a video tutorial on Fuwa Fuwa time back in 2009 when it was released and it's as basic as you can get.

As basic as you can get is probably Let's Go. There's nothing really too hard about it, there's not even a solo for any instrument, mainly because this song was focused to have a vocal dominance. Pre-chorus is can be killer for your guitarist though.

I see some people are saying Curry Nochi Rice, but it's tricky if you can't play up to speed. Go Go Maniac is played at about 250BPM (Beats per minute) while curry is played at 258BPM. If I'm not mistaken it's the fastest song in the series.

Gohan wa Okazu is pretty straight forward as well. The bass doesn't do anything too irregular, and if the solo is hard just play the rhythm guitar. The keyboard is split into four parts, so just pick and choose and try to find out what works best.

Honey Sweet Tea Time is pretty straight forward as well. The bass starts to walk and stop a bit and it creates irregular patterns sometimes. If you want to do this one, practice, practice, practice. It'll take time to memorize which part is played where. This is another vocal driven song, and the end solo is really easy.

Tenshi ni Fureta Yo is a pretty song. From how I look at it, it's not a hard song. The only thing is that the bass walks sometimes, but it's really not that different from learning a solo, I always think of it like a solo spread through out the song. The rhythm is also a little more complex than other K-ON! songs, especially in the chorus.

U&I is another pretty song. Keybaordist may have a little trouble with the interlude, but the fact that you have both a keyboard and a bass make that work wonderfully. Really simple song really. I suggest you should start with this one because of the difficulty and the fact that it's one of the most notable songs in S2.

Don't Say Lazy. Just "don't get lazy" with this song. It's simple and straight forward, but the breakdown may throw you off.

Fude Pen Ball Pen is really simple as well. The Palm-muting can be a real challenge though. Tell your guitarist to really focus on the rhythm, either that or tell him/her to play the lead. It's much easier.

Sweet Bitter Beauty Song is pretty much played with half notes and whole notes. If it's playing neither, it's a simple lick. It can get really repetitive which makes it super easy. The only hard part is the last section of the solo.

Character songs aren't easy, just going to throw that out there.

So pretty much, I just gave you a master list of all the songs that are easiest to play. Remember though, because they're easy, doesn't mean you should only practice when you get together. A good band learns the song in advance and usually more than one at a time. I suggest you and your friends take about 3-5 songs, and play them. Don't sit on one, get it perfect, then move on. I guarantee that you'll get sick of the song and never touch it again after you get it perfect. You can also dumb it down for some of the parts and don't be afraid to. It's a cover and it doesn't have to sound like the original (but maybe at least recognizable).

Also, don't worry about not getting it to a presentable fashion even after a long time (in the anime, the girls are considered terrible ["You guys aren't good at all!" - Yui] ["You guys are terrible" - Azusa]), just have fun with it and hopefully you all get better and better.

Spoiler for P.S.:
AznAndy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 18:40   Link #2203
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Send a message via MSN to BigSmokeDawg
My god my amp is pissing me right off. It's getting to the point where I might send the damn thing away, get it fixed and then sell it for an amp that is actually an amplifier as opposed to a computer with a huge speaker. Here's a list of problems I'm having:

-When using the wah pedal, the amp will randomly cut out after about 10 seconds.

-The amp will randomly crash, making a loud squealing sound.

-The amp controls will lock up randomly, and a restart is required to fix it.

-Guitar tone occasionally goes incredibly tinny for no apparent reason. It's had to describe. It sounds very digital, fuzzy and tinny.

-After crashing, the amp has to be left for 10+ minutes before it will even turn back on again.

It's locked up on me 4 times in the space of about an hour tonight, and it's getting to the point where I don't even want to play because of how much it's irritating me. I've gotten in contact with the place I got it and Peavey, so I'll try and work something out from there. If I do have a chance to get it fixed, then I'll do so, so in the future I can sell a pretty much new amp in order to afford a nice tube combo or something.

Lesson learned - If you want a guitar amp, but a guitar amp, not a computer with an input socket and a speaker.

Sorry for ranting a bit, but I really wanted to get that out.
Old 2012-04-04, 00:57   Link #2204
PeepQ
Peep Worshiper

Send a message via AIM to PeepQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmokeDawg View Post
My god my amp is pissing me right off. It's getting to the point where I might send the damn thing away, get it fixed and then sell it for an amp that is actually an amplifier as opposed to a computer with a huge speaker. Here's a list of problems I'm having:

-When using the wah pedal, the amp will randomly cut out after about 10 seconds.

-The amp will randomly crash, making a loud squealing sound.

-The amp controls will lock up randomly, and a restart is required to fix it.

-Guitar tone occasionally goes incredibly tinny for no apparent reason. It's had to describe. It sounds very digital, fuzzy and tinny.

-After crashing, the amp has to be left for 10+ minutes before it will even turn back on again.

It's locked up on me 4 times in the space of about an hour tonight, and it's getting to the point where I don't even want to play because of how much it's irritating me. I've gotten in contact with the place I got it and Peavey, so I'll try and work something out from there. If I do have a chance to get it fixed, then I'll do so, so in the future I can sell a pretty much new amp in order to afford a nice tube combo or something.

Lesson learned - If you want a guitar amp, but a guitar amp, not a computer with an input socket and a speaker.

Sorry for ranting a bit, but I really wanted to get that out.
For a second there I thought you were actually using a computer. Anyways, what kind of amp do you have? It might be that it's overheating which would explain why it turns off on you and you have to wait to turn it back on (so that it can cool down). My PA does this also and that's it's problem. If your amp doesn't have a back to it you can try sticking a fan behind it and seeing if that works, or wherever the circuit board is.

My amp is dying also speaking of that (it's the speaker ) and it sometimes goes really quiet also like you said randomly. Maybe it's a combination of the two. I have a Vox right now but I was looking into the Marshall MA series. I usually plug it into my audio interface though so I can play in the middle of the night !

As for easy songs that the one guy wanted to learn, Curry Nochi Rice is pretty easy, besides some bass parts and the keyboard solo at the end. Pure Pure Heart is also pretty easy I think. I'm not sure how good you are though but if you want to practice playing together and working on your sound with everyone, the easier the better! Then you can focus on the rest.
PeepQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 06:02   Link #2205
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

It's a Peavey Vypyr 30, and I really doubt it's overheating. In the past, I've had it running for a good 3 hours straight with no problems. Now I'm lucky if it works for 10 minutes...

I've sent the place I got it from an email to see if I can get a replacement or what ever. Later on in the year (July after my exams probably) I'll see about selling it to get a proper tube amp.
Old 2012-04-04, 14:04   Link #2206
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepQ View Post
As for easy songs that the one guy wanted to learn, Curry Nochi Rice is pretty easy, besides some bass parts and the keyboard solo at the end. Pure Pure Heart is also pretty easy I think. I'm not sure how good you are though but if you want to practice playing together and working on your sound with everyone, the easier the better! Then you can focus on the rest.
Pure Pure Heart is a song that relies heavily on your keyboardist being able to play the piano part, which is why I didn't initially suggest it. Still, if they can do it, the other parts aren't overly difficult. S332666460, about how much experience do each of your members have? That would make it easier to give suggestions. Also I can't keep typing that username so I'm just gonna call you "telephone" since your name looks like a telephone number..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmokeDawg View Post
It's a Peavey Vypyr 30, and I really doubt it's overheating. In the past, I've had it running for a good 3 hours straight with no problems. Now I'm lucky if it works for 10 minutes...

I've sent the place I got it from an email to see if I can get a replacement or what ever. Later on in the year (July after my exams probably) I'll see about selling it to get a proper tube amp.
Honestly, everything I've read about tube amps suggests that they are more fragile and require much more maintenance than solid state...that's part of the reason I went with solid state (although I didn't get a modeling amp). I found this article to be a pretty helpful resource.
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 14:47   Link #2207
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
Pure Pure Heart is a song that relies heavily on your keyboardist being able to play the piano part, which is why I didn't initially suggest it. Still, if they can do it, the other parts aren't overly difficult. S332666460, about how much experience do each of your members have? That would make it easier to give suggestions. Also I can't keep typing that username so I'm just gonna call you "telephone" since your name looks like a telephone number..

Honestly, everything I've read about tube amps suggests that they are more fragile and require much more maintenance than solid state...that's part of the reason I went with solid state (although I didn't get a modeling amp). I found this article to be a pretty helpful resource.
Yeah, you're right, but the problem with my amp at the moment is that I can't actually diagnose the problem with it all being digital. It's totally random. It's been fine today, but tomorrow, it might start locking up and acting funky again.

I'd also like a tube amp because they sound REALLY good. This is one I've been looking at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maUgl...feature=relmfu

My friend has the combo version and it sounds absolutely awesome. We'll see in the future though.

Sorry for derailing the thread lol
Old 2012-04-04, 17:25   Link #2208
trenton_dawn
Silt

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I use my pedal to generate all my tone--I don't even own a proper guitar amp, just a home monitor.
Old 2012-04-14, 04:03   Link #2209
Night_Music
The End of Light

guys hello. I wanna thank you guys for your effort in this thread, tabbing K-on songs. I just want to ask you guys here at "Yui's School of Rock" a few questions.

Well my first question was answered some threads back. I was gonna ask which song I should start learning first. I am a beginner guitarist, though I have little experience with the acoustic guitar.
I will stick to Don't Say Lazy.
I also wanna ask, how long do you have to practice to be good at playing their songs? I mean, some of their songs are kinda easy as you have said.

I just got my first electric guitar earlier today. But I also have an acoustic guitar, well it's my brother's and I barely use it. So which guitar will I learn faster in? My guitar looks so cool but people are telling me that I should try using an acoustic guitar first, to enhance the muscles in my fingers. I mean, Yui started out in an electric guitar, so I don't know what to do.

Thank you sempais.

Last edited by Night_Music; 2012-04-14 at 04:14.
Night_Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 05:29   Link #2210
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

How long do you have to practice to be good at playing their songs? - I've been playing a year and a half and I can easily do 3/4 of the K-on! songs, but it'll vary from player to player. Don't worry about things like that, everyone learns at different paces

So which guitar will I learn faster in? - I'd say Electric. Pretty much all K-on! songs require an overdriven electric guitar, and you can't do that on an acoustic. You'll have more fun, and so will be more likely to play more, if you have the tone you want.

Basically, use the electric you just got. You obviously like it more than the acoustic, so you'll be more excited to play it when you practice. If anything, I'd have though Acoustic would be harder to learn on because of how the sound comes from the guitar, not an amp (you can just turn an amp up louder) As for finger strength, that'll come naturally.

Hope that helps in some way
Old 2012-04-14, 20:16   Link #2211
trenton_dawn
Silt

Acoustic guitar can actually be more difficult to learn on as the strings are generally heavier. This causes soreness for uncalloused fingers and makes learning bend technique extremely difficult. Also, regardless of which is more difficult, the best type of guitar to start out with is one that produces the sound you want. As BigSmokeDawg mentioned, just about all the K-ON songs call for an electric. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from doing acoustic versions of the songs if that's your thing, in which case you would want to start with an acoustic, but I assume that's not your plan.

I've been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years now, I think, but I don't practice very much so I'm not as good as I could have been. The rate at which you learn depends on how much you practice, as well as differing from person to person. But I think it's not farfetched that you might be able to play easy songs somewhat competently within half a year.
Old 2012-04-15, 10:10   Link #2212
Night_Music
The End of Light

thanks for the tips. I have an old 10W amp that was given to me by a friend, but I'm not fond of using it because I hate it when I have to sound really loud and really bad at the same time. (I am thinking of my parents and my neighbors getting annoyed, and my room isn't the least soundproof). So I won't be practicing much with my amp on. But I guess I will start with my electric guitar, because I find it to be cooler. And it will take a while before i hook it up to the amp again.

So, I have a gauge of learning at least something by the end of this yeah huh. I have a shot at it.

You guys make awesome covers. And I really envy your gear. But do you guys think that it's too late to learn/cover their songs? specially season1 songs. Because I just learned about K-on very recently, and it gave me the urge to at least spend my summer wisely by doing productive stuff. But am I too late for the party?
Night_Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 11:38   Link #2213
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Music View Post
thanks for the tips. I have an old 10W amp that was given to me by a friend, but I'm not fond of using it because I hate it when I have to sound really loud and really bad at the same time. (I am thinking of my parents and my neighbors getting annoyed, and my room isn't the least soundproof). So I won't be practicing much with my amp on. But I guess I will start with my electric guitar, because I find it to be cooler. And it will take a while before i hook it up to the amp again.

So, I have a gauge of learning at least something by the end of this yeah huh. I have a shot at it.

You guys make awesome covers. And I really envy your gear. But do you guys think that it's too late to learn/cover their songs? specially season1 songs. Because I just learned about K-on very recently, and it gave me the urge to at least spend my summer wisely by doing productive stuff. But am I too late for the party?
Of course you're not too late! :P I've been learning some really early Metallica songs, and they're from like 1983 lol.

As for amp volume and stuff, you could always get a small, low wattage modelling amp. They have headphone sockets on them so you can listen to them with cans on. It's not as fun as using the speaker, but it means that you're free to play without annoying anyone. Also, if you don't like how the amp you have sounds, how are you going to enjoy playing?

If you want to get learning some K-on songs, then if you spend about £100 (or what ever your currency is) on a little amp like a Vypyr or a Fender Mustang then you'll be all set.

It's a good idea to play with an amp, espescially with some kind of distortion because you'll hear all your mistakes like unmuted strings and stuff. It makes it easier to correct them.

Just remember - never give up! I'm sure we've all had days where we just feel like giving up (I've had them a lot recently...) You just gotta keep at it, and take breaks every so often to stop yourself getting too fed up.
Old 2012-04-15, 23:22   Link #2214
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

whoah, it seems like i missed A LOT while on vacation (more like a torture camp than a vacation actually). i guess you're problem with your amp BigSmokeDawg is electronically. any electronic system does get overheated and eventually fail through overuse and too frequent usage. i don't really practice much with my amp on because i don't want to disturb the neighbors, (and plus my amp sucks), and i want to hear my guitar cleanly, prioritizing cleanliness over speed. practicing without an amp is not that bad really. i mean, Yui does it all the time. i believe she doesn't have an amp at home, so she spends more time practicing without an amp than with one.

and hello there Night_Music. it's kinda a coincidence that we share common grounds. (not to mention that your username is kinda similar to mine). you sound like me more that 1 and a half years ago from the time i was starting to play the guitar. nobody is really born talented, and guitar skills are "learned" and not something that you are born with. And there is no problem starting with the electric guitar, though you might also want to practice with the acoustic from time to time. and it is never too late to learn their songs. well, i'm imagining myself still playing their songs in like 10 years or so in the future, because their songs, IMO are TIMELESS.

man, i miss my electric guitar. though i have my acoustic guitar to keep me company. and i am using the lessons that i have learned in this thread to tutor my friend in playing the guitar (though he has no interest in k-on, but oh well, you can never please everybody). i've used this brief moment with technology to catch up to the progress of this page.

so Night_Music, just remember, never give up. even if it takes you years to be good in the guitar, as long as you love what you do, it is not a waste of time. I too feel like giving up at times (like recently). but this away time from my guitar has really cleared my mind on why i wanna learn to play guitar (plus after seeing again a couple of episodes of k-on season 1 has reminded me that what i do is cool).
i really like it when people start to play the guitar because of k-on. it reminds me of myself.

sorry for writing too much, but i don't know the next time i will be able to visit this thread again. damn vacation.
Old 2012-04-16, 00:12   Link #2215
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
and i want to hear my guitar cleanly, prioritizing cleanliness over speed. practicing without an amp is not that bad really. i mean, Yui does it all the time. i believe she doesn't have an amp at home, so she spends more time practicing without an amp than with one.
The problem with playing unamplified is that something it hides mistakes you might be making. If anything, playing with an amp on clean setting is a good way to clearly hear your guitar (or playing an acoustic). But of course practice is practice, whether with an amp or not.

Quote:
damn vacation.
Lol, never thought I'd hear those words from someone other than myself :P
Old 2012-04-16, 02:03   Link #2216
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

I can't play without an amp >: It pains me to do it, everything is so twangy lol

Also I hate vacations (Or holidays as us Brits call them) Me and my family just end up arguing and then we all want to go home :V

Nice to see you're back as well, LMB. I was wonder where you'd gotten to

Oh yeah, my amp has strangely been fine over the last week. The pedal's stopped working, but at least it's not crashed or whatever on me. I'm still considering a proper tube amp though because of how damn good they sound. I'll see how much money I have after my exams in May...
Old 2012-04-16, 12:31   Link #2217
trenton_dawn
Silt

Funnily enough, my practice guitar doesn't sound very twangy because the action is really messed up and it's way too high. Makes it harder to play though lol.
Old 2012-04-16, 12:55   Link #2218
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Oh yeah, I might have a cover of the Come With Me solo up soon, and in a few months, a cover of Hold Onto Your Love. My teacher helped me loads with that song yesterday, and I've finally gotten a hang of that run near the end. I'm very excited to make it :P

Come with me solo: http://soundcloud.com/bsmoked/come-with-me-solo

The run at the end is what I've been working on in particular as I've been having trouble with three note per string major scales. Luckily, I seem to be getting them now. I just gotta practice them for a while longer until they're totally up to scratch, but it's a start none the less. Let me know what you think!

Last edited by BigSmokeDawg; 2012-04-16 at 16:30.
BigSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 18:41   Link #2219
ChorpSaway

And again I miss out on stuff happening around here. Ah well.

Honestly, of all the times to start learning K-On! songs, this is probably the best. I mean, all the songs have been tabbed. You have the whole discography to choose from.

That solo seems to be coming pretty well, the bends were a little sketchy at the beginning, but the run at the end was pretty good. As long as you can clean up the notes, it should come out fine.

Oh yeah also I made this thing hope you like it even though everyone seems to be all meh about the second character singles.
ChorpSaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 03:01   Link #2220
trenton_dawn
Silt

People didn't like the second character singles? Huh, this is the first I'd heard of it.