AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-06-01, 19:44   Link #1
Fronzel
Schmuck

What's with eyes in hentai games?

Specifically, the eyes of the protaginist...they don't exist!

Protaginist Boy always seems to have a little bit of hair over his face with the eyes in shadow....or sometimes just not there.....it's rather creepy sometimes....not very emotive.

Anyone know why, and/or some exceptions?

The only thing I can think of, without much confidance, is that the artists don't want to spend time drawing the boy when no one's going to be looking at him very hard.

Last edited by Fronzel; 2004-06-03 at 15:07.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 20:22   Link #2
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Thats a very good question. One thats been bugging me for a while. Oh and this isn't just in Hentai games. It seems to be in almost every single dating style game as well. Like Tokimeki memorial.
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 20:27   Link #3
Alphonse

It's because you don't want to look at a pretty boy in the picture. You want to imagine yourself in there...haha~
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 21:43   Link #4
DingoEnderZOE2

Well if thats the case. Then thats a stupid reason.
Old 2004-06-01, 22:28   Link #5
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse
It's because you don't want to look at a pretty boy in the picture. You want to imagine yourself in there...haha~
Exactly, its supposed to be you I think.

Shun me, for I am frumious!

Last edited by Bandersnatch; 2004-06-02 at 00:19.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 23:42   Link #6
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
Exactly, its supossed to be you I think.
That's the reason why every non-voiced dating games has the option to change the protagonists' names.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 03:27   Link #7
Fronzel
Schmuck

You know, I was thinking that actually.....but it's still really creepy.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 12:11   Link #8
jennwenn

Do girl style dating sims do this too? I know there are girl-oriented dating sims out there, like Angelique, but I rarely see them.

Yes, the lack of eyes and general personality (if you noticed that too) is so the gameplayer can "role play" and envision himself as the protagonist. I think its creepy too. But when you think about it, most RPGs let you pick the name of your main character so you can name it after yourself or whatever you want. Many games are first-person point of view. Still freaky if you ask me.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 18:10   Link #9
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Most bishoujo games will do this. There are some exceptions though, like Vagrants (and yes, the guy is voiced too). It's so prevalent that there are 4koma comics about it. For example, in one about Kanon, Yuuichi comments on it and walks past Nayuki, who doesn't him because he didn't have a face
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 18:21   Link #10
SPINAL-BRAIN
May be a Senior Member

...so there are no interruption between you and your beating off....
SPINAL-BRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 19:14   Link #11
omaren
ame no yume

are hentai games fun?? I wanna play one...but my family'll think i'm weird...and perverte...
omaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 19:45   Link #12
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaren
are hentai games fun?? I wanna play one...but my family'll think i'm weird...and perverte...
and I refer you to: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=350
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 19:46   Link #13
DingoEnderZOE2

Depends on what kind of Hentai games you get and depends on what you want out of the Hentai game.
Old 2004-06-02, 19:59   Link #14
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Anyone know why, and/or some exceptions?
It has been some sort of tradition among the soft-houses not to show the eyes, or as it more populary known: 典型的な顔なしエロゲー主人公 (tenkeitekina kao-nashi eroge- shujinkou: "a typical no-faced ero-game male protagonist)

There are reasons, such as the examples many of you have cited that the male lead you are playing is a virtual rendition of yourself. It has been tradition since the early days of such games, more likely with the idea: "who the heck cares how the male lead looks - you bought this game to ogle at the cute girls anyway."

Lately however, there are increasing games where they do give character to the male lead that you portray. A good example of these are Key's "AIR" and "CLANNAD," TYPE-MOON's "Tsukihime" (though this isn't technically an ero-game since it is an ero-doujin-game) and "Fate/stay night," Circus' "D.C.~da capo~," age's "MuvLuv," Nitroplus' "Demonbaine," and the like.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 20:17   Link #15
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaren
ero-ge for the most part are oriented towards a male player interested in females. There are, of course, ero-ge oriented towards females with male characters to choose from. Generally, unless you are interested in cute girls and/or sex with them, ero-ge oriented towards males usually aren't that fun to play. There are however, quite a number of boys love ero-ge, like ones published by Pink Clover

PS: Here's the comic I was thinking of regarding eyeless male characters: http://ragna-fan.net/~himuro/kanon/mina1/m08.htm

Last edited by zalas; 2004-06-02 at 20:48.
Old 2004-06-02, 21:55   Link #16
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Lately however, there are increasing games where they do give character to the male lead that you portray. A good example of these are Key's "AIR" and "CLANNAD," TYPE-MOON's "Tsukihime" (though this isn't technically an ero-game since it is an ero-doujin-game) and "Fate/stay night," Circus' "D.C.~da capo~," age's "MuvLuv," Nitroplus' "Demonbaine," and the like.
i've been wondering, what exactly makes Tsukihime different from other ero-games? (besides the rather unique plot)
heh, after watching the anime, if i were to have made a game of it, it probably would have turned more into something like Thousand Arms or Azure Skies (an H-game action RPG!)
i always wanted to cut things along the death lines like shiki, or summon weapons from seemingly nowhere like Ciel ^_^;

Oh yes, and Omaren: while most H-games are made with horny guys in their early to late 20s in mind, there have been many console ports with the sex scenes removed (Comic Party i think is an example of this) and other things added (heh...some of the games got kind of short when you removed the sex) such as new characters (i.e., Subaru for comic party) so you could play those with fewer weird looks
another interesting thing is some company has taken some ero-games and turned them into overly intricate DVD menus and released them in the states (unless these titles were already overly intricate DVD menus)
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 23:51   Link #17
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
i've been wondering, what exactly makes Tsukihime different from other ero-games? (besides the rather unique plot)
Someone had posted a really great write up about Tsukihime's creators. Of course, I can't find it now.

It started as an ero-doujinshi-game and they basically took the industry by storm from there. It was just that good.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 07:06   Link #18
Ending

From what I have seen, most games of *that* type are pretty similar and, unintentionally, funny. I mean: "Ahn... Ahn... Ahnahnahnaaaahn!!1" is supposed to be erotic? I think it's hilarious.

As to details like eyes; are there other "details" either? Asian artists are lazy bums.

(With their salary, can't blame.)
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 09:20   Link #19
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
From what I have seen, most games of *that* type are pretty similar and, unintentionally, funny. I mean: "Ahn... Ahn... Ahnahnahnaaaahn!!1" is supposed to be erotic? I think it's hilarious.
Maybe you should ask someone Japanese who isn't very familiar with anything outside of Japan whether 'oh yeah baby! harder!' is erotic.
Old 2004-06-03, 12:09   Link #20
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
well in holland.. ha.aha harder baby harder... sells like hotcakes
try to go to a cinema there and you will see how the sex business makes billions
in revenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Maybe you should ask someone Japanese who isn't very familiar with anything outside of Japan whether 'oh yeah baby! harder!' is erotic.
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote