AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 12 21.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 35.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 21.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 14.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 7.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-28, 06:14   Link #81
kari-no-sugata

"safe" is not the word I would use to describe the original source material. I'd maybe chose "mundane" though maybe that's a bit unfair. At least it's not "paint by numbers". It doesn't push any boundaries in terms of plot, characters, setting, prose etc but it doesn't feel overly designed or targeted though - feels like a story the author genuinely wanted to "tell" rather than one that would simply "sell".

So why would KyoAni chose to animate it? I have no particular knowledge of their background, strategies or the like so the following is purely speculative.

Option 1) they specifically wanted to avoid material that would obviously appeal to existing fanbases - ie they wanted to target a wider audience or new audience.

Option 2) maybe for some reason they wanted to animate something that could easily be turned into a live action movie or TV series and maybe make some extra money by licensing the rights to that to another company.

Option 3) they wanted a creative challenge - I was kinda reminded of a small story arc in "the mask of glass" manga where Maya does 2 solo plays at school, where the first seems very dynamic and thrilling (a story about a female pirate) while they second one was very "mundane", but Maya specifically chose it to help her polish her acting skills.

Option 4) none of the above or combination of the above.

None of these options screams "safe" to me.