AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 24 38.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 37.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 14.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 6.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-02, 11:28   Link #21
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
No there isn't because it was specifically said the arrows were not destroyed but the bodies were mutilated and reduced to lumps of flesh. That's not something that poison arrows would do.

I said poison gas, not poison arrows.

As for the complains about the OP and ED..... I always feel like pointing this out:

Neither the OP nor the ED are the actual anime!!!! It contributes very little to the story and for some reason in the anime fandom it became a habit to assign greated importance to them, then they deserve.
Old 2013-02-02, 11:28   Link #22
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The other guy, on the other hand, seemed ridiculously weak on top of being goofy. He should have let Shisei handle everything.
Actually, he's supposed to be one of the most powerful people in the cast, at least on the same level as Shisei. He was the one who played puppet master with the bakenezumi soldiers (mind controlling them), and the anime didn't really mention what an insane feat that was, an almost divine level of power.

So yeah, Koufuu got shafted in this ep... (But then, the scope of the battle was also smaller.)
Old 2013-02-02, 12:14   Link #23
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I said poison gas, not poison arrows.

As for the complains about the OP and ED..... I always feel like pointing this out:

Neither the OP nor the ED are the actual anime!!!! It contributes very little to the story and for some reason in the anime fandom it became a habit to assign greated importance to them, then they deserve.
Sorry, it was actually a typo on my part but my argument against your point is the same. We've already seen what the poison gas does so obviously it was not caused by that.
Old 2013-02-02, 12:40   Link #24
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Good episode, I don't have any particular commentary for what happened, but I'm left wondering what's to come next. Since it appears the mole rats have a human under their command and now possess some explosives as well, I wonder how the assault on Yakomaru that the director promised will actually shake down. The mole rats aren't exactly helpless anymore.
Old 2013-02-02, 13:09   Link #25
kuromitsu

A scene that totally happened might have happened after this episode...
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, after seeing Shisei instead of just imagining what he might look like, I'll forever see him as something like this:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

(Sorry for my sucky "art"... x_x)
Old 2013-02-02, 14:53   Link #26
Qpax
黒猫のタンゴ

In the second episode as far as I remember Saki said something like "If Maria hadn't born then a lot of lives would have been saved". So it's plausible to asssume that the one who involved in the slaughtering of the strongest queerat colony was Mamoru and Maria's child, that's great. I can't wait to see their child would become K version 2.0 and end up killing a lot of people in the upcoming episodes.

Also that damn Yakomaru. He is so friggin cunning and ploted stuffs even as far as going lenghts to attacking the village. I don't think he will be killed but instead will be safe at the end of the show (maybe he was slaughtered by Kiromaru that seems to be alive, who knows). And I bet he is at the same IQ of an average human right now.

Lastly what was that soul like thing that was appeared after Koufuu died? I think it was the embodiment of his cantus? So in this sense could we say that Cantus somehow releated to embodiment of the most precious and important things or people we hold in the real life? Like in this case maybe it was the soul or image of Koufuu's wife that we witnessed there for a moment.

And this is my face when Mari appeared out of blue at the end of episode. I was like ragequited with the sudden urge of exasperation and closed my laptop to get some fresh air on my terrace.

edit: Please refrain from mentioning things that is unique to either novel or manga in this thread. I am planning to read it after anime show ends but I always get spoiled by novel in these threads. Please only talk about anime here and if you want to compare things with novel THEN do it in the spoiler tags. Best regards.

edit2: Forgot to add this but I also like to say that Maria and Mamoru somehow found and killed by Yakomaru when they had baby. So he snatched baby and raised their child in their colony. That explains why they have telekinesis user in their army. And when he found them he killed and skin out them along with their bones and handed their remainins to Tomiko. Man this is so gruesome but I wouldn't suprise if things will turn out this way.

Last edited by Qpax; 2013-02-02 at 20:03.
Old 2013-02-02, 16:47   Link #27
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Liked how Satoro is protecting Saki in various ways. Glad to hear that Kiroumaru survived somehow. That really must have been hard for Saki at hearing that they both did actually die. Like how all 3 of their friends appeared together. Well Hiromi was right about the festival, but how else would they have doen things. Yakomaru really is great villain, even more so if the hints about the child are true. Shisei's eyes are so cool, but i wonder why they're like that.
Old 2013-02-02, 18:09   Link #28
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qpax View Post
I can't wait to see their child would become K version 2.0 and end up killing a lot of people in the upcoming episodes.
I'd like to see this too. To be honest at this point I don't feel anything for these characters. Well, I feel a bit for Saki and the loss of her friends. But as for the town and most of the PKers... I really want them all dead.
Old 2013-02-02, 18:38   Link #29
Awrya
U mad?

Nice episode, just wondering what that light was when bald guy died?
Was it the form of his Cantus, being released from his body when he died? Or was it his last 'firework' he created with his Cantus?
Old 2013-02-02, 19:01   Link #30
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I'd like to see this too. To be honest at this point I don't feel anything for these characters. Well, I feel a bit for Saki and the loss of her friends. But as for the town and most of the PKers... I really want them all dead.
As strange as this sounds I kind of agree.

While it would be a truly sad turn of events. I believe a huge die off is what's needed to purge a lot of the terrible things wrong with this society. Once everything is over it would give humanity a chance to start fresh. Maybe with Saki leading them a lot of positive changes can start.
Old 2013-02-02, 19:11   Link #31
Eragon
Still Alive

Ah, but you are assuming that the Queercats would keep even a single human alive. As far as Squeelar is concerned, if he wins, he takes no prisoners or lets them escape - especially not one's who can wipe out his entire race overnight
Old 2013-02-02, 19:32   Link #32
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Ah, but you are assuming that the Queercats would keep even a single human alive. As far as Squeelar is concerned, if he wins, he takes no prisoners or lets them escape - especially not one's who can wipe out his entire race overnight
True but odds are he probably won't live through this war. if Kiromaru really is alive no doubt he'll be after Squeelar. With the head gone the rest would be clueless.
Old 2013-02-02, 21:01   Link #33
taichi-kun

Great episode

oh poor hiromi-chan she was so cute.

WTF was the end of the episode with maria

what was that woman that appeared when the crazy dude died
Old 2013-02-02, 21:24   Link #34
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

This episode is really good, isn’t it? The revolution is finally happening, even though we can consider this as a failed attempt. The episode itself is even more intense. It reminds me a lot of Naruto’s “crush Konoha” years ago. The terror of seeing your home village ambushed by the enemy and bodies piling up in such short time is overwhelming. The strategy performed by the Bakenezumi is commendable too, but that dude with blindfold is simply too strong for them to handle. Btw, Yakomaru is still my favorite character . Viva la...you know the rest.

Btw, for those who knows, is it right for me to expect better animation or additional scenes in the BD episodes? Or clearer picture is all we're gonna get?
Old 2013-02-02, 21:36   Link #35
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
He's pretty special, isn't he. I think it's not that he sticks out because he's so boisterous, it's more like we didn't get to see him enough in the show to get used to him and his creepiness. (Not that he has a bigger or different role in the book, but for obvious reasons he's more "in place" there.) In any case, I think the point is that someone so blatantly confident in his superiority gets taken out by the same lowly bakenezumi he was playing with, on a festival that was held because he dismissed Hiromi's concerns about the village's safety.
That makes perfect sense actually. I hadn't thought about it that way. Now that I think about it he did have quite a few red flags flying over his head. Such an ignoble death

I wonder why we weren't given more time to get to know his character. All of the others on the council were introduced or at least shown at earlier points in the series. It's not that important because he wasn't a major character, but I would have liked to have seen him a bit more. I do love the crazy-eyed characters, haha.

Quote:
really. It's a random woman, presumably someone he loved once. I think the point was how beautiful and fragile the mirage was (Saki is like "and then a giant Rei woman appeared and it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen"), to underscore the "holy" aspect of humans and the "monster" aspect of the bakenezumi. (Maybe.) But since things like this tend not to work in anime, I think they should've just cut this part...

ETA: Sorry, I just noticed, you were asking about the mechanics? It's just a mirage. Earlier on Satoru explains to Saki that the "ghosts" of Maria & Co. she saw were born out of her strong feelings of wanting to see them, projected on the water. Presumably the same thing happened with Koufuu, either with a woman he loved, or as an artist "releasing" his creativity or something like that.
Ah, thank you. When he died and released his spirit with the words "may you see beauty . . . " I found myself wondering whether everyone saw the same woman or not. Perhaps everyone saw something different depending on what they consider to be beautiful. I should think the latter is more probable if, as you pointed out, it is a mirage.

Although I rather like the idea that everyone saw something different depending on what they wanted to see I think it's a bit troublesome. Why should he have a special death scene? We've seen other cantos users die and none released their cantus in such a way. I agree with you that they probably should have cut this part out. At this stage the series should be working toward answering questions rather than raising new ones.

Quote:
She does in the anime, too... It's just that recently with all the "Saki LOVE!" it's like Mamoru became a non-entity. Sure, he was never a central character or anything, but seriously, come on.
I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment. It almost begs the question of why even bothering including Mamoru if they're going to reduce his character to such an extent. At this point he's scarcely more important than Reiko. I rather liked his soft-spoken cautious personality because it was a nice counterpoint to the others. I think they've done a great injustice to his character.
Old 2013-02-02, 21:58   Link #36
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I can't be the only one that could totally see Yakomaru having found Maria and Mamoru, and um...performed less than delicate medical procedures on them to give him his own tame power-using slaves?

Give up a few limbs and teeth too, to keep those silly gods from suspecting. I mean, with everything that slimeball has done, would it really be surprising? It makes me think back to my childhood days reading Elf Quest, and how the Trolls took the rock-shaper elves captive, and left just enough body parts to keep them alive and pliant, and essentially just lumps of limbless flesh.

We've been straight out told way back in the early episodes that Maria would cause a lot of deaths, so presumably she's alive, unless they were dramatically overstating things and simply meant her existence would be the catalyst for those deaths.

As for where the story is going, I assume the reason this particular story is being told, in this particular envisioned future, is that this is a turning point in this fictional history. A lot of deaths might be coming, but perhaps the society that rises from it will be...better, for both humanity and the rats.

Edit: I was a little disappointed at how gullible Ms. 270-some-year-old was.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-02-02 at 23:25.
Old 2013-02-02, 23:22   Link #37
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Best Episode Up to Date!!!

War!!! Its really war!!! We saw the true power of the Mask guy.... Awesome episode.

Never thought that Yakomaru will start his rebellion so soon! Bombs, arrows, poison gas and suicide bombers! Damn Yakomaru!!! Now he will experience the worst from the Humans.

On the other hand... WTF is Maria doing in the last part?! Oh, she goes to Mamoru because she can't have a child with Saki? She should have known that in her 14 years of life! LOls...
Old 2013-02-02, 23:31   Link #38
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
On the other hand... WTF is Maria doing in the last part?! Oh, she goes to Mamoru because she can't have a child with Saki? She should have known that in her 14 years of life! LOls...
With Asahina able to manipulate her own telomeres (talk about concentration), it certainly opens up some exciting possibilities (which will probably not be explored) as to what an ingenious person with "power" could do in the realm of human genetics. I could easily see many of the practical limitations on why two women can't procreate being...surpassable with the right type of psyche and willpower.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-02-02, 23:38   Link #39
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
With Asahina able to manipulate her own telomeres (talk about concentration), it certainly opens up some exciting possibilities (which will probably not be explored) as to what an ingenious person with "power" could do in the realm of human genetics. I could easily see many of the practical limitations on why two women can't procreate being...surpassable with the right type of psyche and willpower.
Oh, God.... turning an egg into a tadpole? She's a witch... better that she's dead...

That made me speculate that due to her frustration in everything that happened to her, Maria's Cantus may have unintentional affect her child while in conception. AFAIK in the nursing field, stress and everything that a mother does during her conception generally affects her fetus, emotionally and physically...
Old 2013-02-02, 23:38   Link #40
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
No there isn't because it was specifically said the arrows were not destroyed but the bodies were mutilated and reduced to lumps of flesh. That's not something that poison arrows would do.
You mean arrows with explosives I assume...