AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 24 (FINAL) Rating
Perfect 10 210 67.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 19.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 9.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 2.24%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.32%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.64%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-19, 10:08   Link #221
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

LS made me feel "I want to be there. I want a daughter like Konata. I want to see a show with Akira as anchor. I want to hang out with Yui. I want to tease Kagami... " and so on.

Count me with you, I do want a daughter like Konata, laugh with a japan-crazy friend like Patty, help in inspiration an artist like Hiyori and drink liters of beer with someone like Nanako...
Old 2007-09-19, 11:52   Link #222
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Oh, you would.

(Ok, fine, I would too. )

As far as I'm concerned, the Rakisuta-AzuDai comparison is merely a generation gap (which makes WanderingKnight the old fogey. ). I haven't actually watched AzuDai, so I have no intention of saying that either is better, myself.
Well... our cheerleader team this year is actually cute and trim so ... yeah

The generation gap leads towards the root of the problem in some sense. Some people are trying to compare shows that are chronologically separated in time and in which some fairly universal motifs are used and re-used.

I could sit there and say today's comedy is crap compared to the Marx Brothers... but really the Marx Brothers were just carrying on a long tradition of pre-electronic vaudeville carried to the screen.
(distant past)-->vaudeville-->30s movies-->radio sketch shows-->tv sketch shows-->tv variety shows-->cartoons, sitcoms and shows like the Daily Show.

They're all basically doing the SAME material throughout. I'd like to think there are some qualitative differences but there are "best of" examples in each time frame.

AzuDa and L*S are both examples from the same genre separated by time (in pop fad culture, three to five years is a long time) and each has its author's personalized emphasis on different aspects of daily life. The anime adaptations of each were also handled a bit differently. Personally, I give AzuDa some points for being truer to the manga and L*S suffers a bit at times in that regard. However, L*S does some wonderful things with the manga material that really brings the characters to life in terms of animation, voicing, and expression.

I like both... my cell phone has that Kagami theme, but I still use Azumanga's flute solo theme for my main ringtone (maya-to-ita-kisetsu)
Old 2007-09-19, 12:04   Link #223
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Saw Luck star episode 24 yesterday. As many people i also draw a comparison with Azumanga Daioh which i have only watched about a month ago.

Lucky Star intro was interesting. As everyone the dance scene really grabbed my attention I still think the dance is awesome. First few episodes of Lucky Star were somewhat dull. I didn't really understand the jokes. And the random talk was just weird and not funny. But slowly it got more interesting for me. I think it's when the director of FMP started directing it? Not to sure around which episode. But slowly it became more and more interesting so to say. It really picked up for me when the rest of the cast got introduced. But in the end. It was just a slice of life which couldn't bring out any emotions from me. Azumanga Daioh ending managed to make me sad and feel happy at times. And i think that is what makes the anime great. I actually feel enough for the cast to feel like that.

Things i liked to see in Lucky Star where for example more festivals. More summer vacations were they actually did something fun. And imho they should of kept the dance as a final to end Lucky Star instead of how they did it now... And the jokes of Lucky Star didn't appealed to me as much as the once in Azumanga Daioh. Perhaps the jokes didn't appealed to me because i have only been watching anime for a year. Though i have watched around 50+ series by now >.<

In the end. Lucky Star is just Lucky Star. The cast was ok. But the ending wasn't special enough for me. Overall i give Lucky Star a 8.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2007-09-19, 12:36   Link #224
othic
rhymes w/but isn't gothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcx View Post
is there any sign of season 2 at the end of eps?
If i'm not mistaken, if they end up making a season 2 of lucky star, won't they be in college?
Old 2007-09-19, 12:39   Link #225
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by othic View Post
If i'm not mistaken, if they end up making a season 2 of lucky star, won't they be in college?
If there was going to be a second season, then they'd at least have to finish of school first --- this is why i think OVA's are needed.
Old 2007-09-19, 13:11   Link #226
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

yeah!!! OVA'S!!!

original stories from KyoAni gives the characters more deph and personalities. This last episode gave all the L*S characters to develop.

Hiyori now pairing Yutaka and Minami. Ayano's participation and interaction, Misao getting mad that's a first, Patty being the brains of the cheer leader dance and so on.

Really KyoAni hasn't let the fans down.
Old 2007-09-19, 13:33   Link #227
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
did anyone notice that Yutaka was the the one to pant and breathe heavy then Hiyori then almost at the same time Kagami and Konata. Making Yutaka the one less stamina since she's sickly and Hiyori. Minami is the TANK she shows no signs of exhaustion at all. Though it was brief we can see the stamina levels of each of the girls. Better jot it down for power rank cards that iam planning to make.
I noticed that myself (yes, I broke down and watched in on youtube..). I thought that was a nice touch - it would've been easy to just leave none of them panting, or get them all panting at the same time.

...When I read what I just wrote over again, it suddenly sounds so dirty.
Old 2007-09-19, 15:26   Link #228
Meophist

I'm not quite sure why people are saying AzuDai and RakiSuta are incomparable. They're both slice-of-life shows based on 4-koma manga focused on comedy about girls going through high school life. How the heck are they not comparable? Saying that these two anime are incomparable is basically saying that nothing is comparable, which means that "comparing" is useless. While I'm not going to argue against the conclusion, I have problems with the premise. In fact, I'm going to compare them right now: Lucky Star is better(OPINION, by the way).
Old 2007-09-19, 15:39   Link #229
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm saying is that the chronological context needs to be considered. Compare "Forbidden Planet" to "Alien" for example... they're both of the same genre after all. Or compare Shakespeare to "24" or Mozart's opera with modern rock (they're all originally written for the common masses).

Its a *bit* difficult to compare L*S to AzuDa because they're separated in time, pop-fads, and cultural sensibilities. They *can* be compared though... its just that for more credibility one has to consider that separation. Outside of that, the simple differences in style due to the authors are going to result in some non-quantifiable taste difference.

Like I said, me I like both and they're going to sit next to each other on my shelf (assuming they license L*S).
Old 2007-09-19, 16:09   Link #230
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, I said I basically couldn't help comparing both, mainly due to the fact that Azumanga Daioh is one of my most beloved shows of all time, and that both shows have the same starting point. I enjoyed Lucky Star, but in the end, I don't have much reason to watch it again, whereas I watched AzuDai three times in six months during my fourth year of high school, and a final fourth time by the end of my fifth (and last) year there.

Meh, who knows, maybe I'm getting old, like Ascaloth pointed out there.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about this point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Care to wager on that? I accept PayPal.

Cheers.
I know I exaggerated a bit on the "summing up half of the references", but the fact remains that, while each episode had its load of different references (cultural and otaku-related), there were at least one or two Haruhi references per episode, which in my view counts as excessive. I'm not saying it's bad, or that Kyoani is a big mean company that insists on pushing its products, yada yada yada, but it's something that bothered me, humor-wise. Like I said, I got to the point of thinking "Not again!", especially on the Hare Hare dance in episode 16 (the lowest point of the series, IMO).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-09-19, 16:20   Link #231
Meophist

I think that there's more similarities than differences between AzuDai and Lucky Star.

In any case, I'm just a little annoyed that even if there's the slightest differences between two shows/whatever, some people say that they can't be compared. Two things that are the same can't be compared. Two things that are different can be compared. I mean, I can compare Lucky Star and Gundam if I wanted to.
Old 2007-09-19, 16:32   Link #232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That ought to be good for a 10 page dissertation Be sure and inject some Christ metaphor for extra literary points
Old 2007-09-19, 18:58   Link #233
bullrogg

i have a question....when konata dresses up cosplays as witch yuki, (around 15:00), did the VAs change for the yuki impersonation?
Old 2007-09-19, 19:03   Link #234
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrogg View Post
i have a question....when konata dresses up cosplays as witch yuki, (around 15:00), did the VAs change for the yuki impersonation?
Nope, Aya did it all herself!

See this post for more info.

Old 2007-09-19, 19:39   Link #235
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... our cheerleader team this year is actually cute and trim so ... yeah
....Vexx-jiji, sometimes I look at you, and I wonder whether you should be using a Soujirou avvie instead. You are, in almost every way I can see, so alike to him.

...okay, maybe a luckier version of Soujirou. Your Kanata is still hale and hearty enough to steal half your late-night cup ramen snack.
Old 2007-09-19, 19:43   Link #236
bullrogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Nope, Aya did it all herself!

See this post for more info.

thanx crow.......btw thanks for all the references during the season...
Old 2007-09-19, 20:15   Link #237
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
*doki doki* at the massive armpit fanservice this final episode..
Apparently all Japanese girls, and even American exchange students, shave their armpits even in this modern day and age?

Or has shaving made a resurgence among girls nowadays? When I was their age, many girls had stopped shaving as a feminist statement.
Old 2007-09-19, 20:25   Link #238
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
....Vexx-jiji, sometimes I look at you, and I wonder whether you should be using a Soujirou avvie instead. You are, in almost every way I can see, so alike to him.

...okay, maybe a luckier version of Soujirou. Your Kanata is still hale and hearty enough to steal half your late-night cup ramen snack.
Dang it! Now I'm starting to wonder what brand camera he has…
Old 2007-09-19, 21:24   Link #239
Eternal Haruhist

Send a message via MSN to Eternal Haruhist
Anyone knows what ikahodo and dondake means?
Old 2007-09-19, 21:27   Link #240
kevin13
Disabled By Request

dondake: http://complexdream.com/blog/?p=347
Closed Thread