AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 35 28.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 34.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 26.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-20, 22:51   Link #121
ApostleOfGod
^.^

If Sheryl doesn't win in this romance contest between her and Ranka for the she-male, I'll get cheesed.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2008-04-20, 23:21   Link #122
Mandoric

A single translation note.

During the funeral, our Global standin is given a single unusual and potentially troublesome line.

「彼の肉体は、やがて我が肉となり血となり大気となって、我等の命をやすだろう。」

In modern usage, only 燃 has retained the conjugation to y-syllables. Thus, it appears that other groups, and even some 2ch posters, have assumed it's that; in particular, other groups have used "-the fuel that keeps our lives burning"; fuel really isn't anywhere in there, but as a post-scriptwriter version of 「彼の肉体は、やがて我が肉となり血となり。大気となって、我等の命をやすだろう。」, it suffices for general purposes.

However, he's not strictly speaking, using modern usage; it's certainly not true archaic, but it fits the standard patterns for adding a prewar flair, particularly in use of なり, and the negative conjugation -ず.

Thus, it's my opinion that a far better scanning line is produced by the reading:
「彼の肉体は、やがて我が肉となり血となり大気となって、我等の命をやすだろう。」
In prereform usage, this is a valid reading; using it allows us to decide that, rather than out-of-place hot-bloodedness, the flesh, blood, and air (a mention which makes the funeral ritual specific to the space setting!) allow those living to "sprout", spring forth or grow forth, and thus treat it as the more common funereal message of hope.
Old 2008-04-20, 23:24   Link #123
ani_d

Since Sheryl's way sexier than Ranka and has uber amount of confidence, I can see why she has lots of fans lol I dunno, she probably just wasn't introduced with enough screentime for me to foretell a SherylxAlto ending compared to Ranka's. :|

Anyway, straying off from another love triangle debate lol I'm just wondering how come it seems like most people here are already killing off Ozma? I enjoy his character. Plus, his death would probably just do more harm than good to the SMS team and Ranka. If it's due to the parallelism from the first series, then isn't Macross Frontier supposed to take place 50 years after the original Macross? I think even if there are similarities, I don't think it'll end up the same way as the last time. Macross staff wouldn't show us something we already know, would they?
Old 2008-04-20, 23:33   Link #124
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Looking at ep3, saw a "Monster" varient in the background of the OP with the full size Zentraidi. Looks like they're going to put the flying Destroid into the show

Good to know that hero characters in Macross aren't completely invincible. Funny thing is, Ozma's suit was good enough to prevent violent decompression [which means his VF also had self sealing armour like the colony ships] but not for completely stopping the blood loss.

Designers need to go back to the drawing board for this one
Old 2008-04-20, 23:38   Link #125
Mandoric

Actually, a second note, regarding episode 1. All aircraft callsigns currently shown match up with the NATO phonetic alphabet; in while episodes 2 and 3 are fairly obvious, episode 1's onscreen Engrish, apparently caused by "Lima" → "リーマ" → "RE???", appears to have muddled this for some people.
Old 2008-04-20, 23:56   Link #126
marsmars133
lol

Why does sheryl have those wierd eyebrows? Her hair is pink i understand that but her eyebrows are like brown or some other dark color that i can't think of. Whenever they show a close up of her face while shes talking i can't concentrate on what shes saying because of those thick hairy dark bushy eyebrows. totally gross dude

Last edited by marsmars133; 2008-04-20 at 23:58. Reason: spelled name wrong
Old 2008-04-21, 01:35   Link #127
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eej View Post
Now why would that be? She's brimming with confidence and that "Never give up!" spirit. She's like a female

Plus
Spoiler:
she's pushing that brimming confidence thing with meAlto should have checked her ass when she slapped him for no reason. Should have wore better clothes if she didnt want to show the tits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanis View Post
Totally opposite for me. While the first episode had me liking Ranka more, these last two have Sheryl going way up and over Ranka. Confident, not sitting around waiting for something to happen, plus that last comment about "allowing" Alto to use her immage as his ummm "inspiration" for later that night just blows the lid off the competition. Ranka needs to counter attack with something next episode or I'm firmly in the Sherly camp for taking Alto.
I agree she's confident. That said, i couldnt help but my eyes when she explained why shes Sheryl. "Bitch get outta here with that" is what i would have told her. Alto better man up and control his space quick.
Old 2008-04-21, 01:36   Link #128
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, maybe Alto's dad really is an asshole. Abusive, overbearing, demanding, and so on. Why should they reconcile?
We don't know that yet. And it seems like he's the typical Kabuki actor who felt too repressed by the extensive loyalty and practice of the theater as a child. Also, it's WAY too stereotypical for parents to be estranged like that from a disgruntled main character. I'd rather see them move on from that angle as soon as possible.
Old 2008-04-21, 02:21   Link #129
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eej View Post
Now why would that be? She's brimming with confidence and that "Never give up!" spirit. She's like a female

Plus
Spoiler:
Confident females always get hated on, Sheryl hate atm is way ott, her interaction with Ranka is closer to her normal personality than her normal bitchiness. And yes I'm looking forward to her first dere dere moment with Alto.
Old 2008-04-21, 03:09   Link #130
ZODDGUTS

Main problem with confident females is that sometimes they come out as bitches but if their characters are done right then their pretty awesome, Major Kusanagi is a good example as a confident female character done right.
Old 2008-04-21, 03:54   Link #131
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmars133 View Post
Why does sheryl have those wierd eyebrows? Her hair is pink i understand that but her eyebrows are like brown or some other dark color that i can't think of. Whenever they show a close up of her face while shes talking i can't concentrate on what shes saying because of those thick hairy dark bushy eyebrows. totally gross dude
if she's mixed blood, then it might explain the brown eyebrows.

but if she's human then it's simple, she dyed her hair pink. but she forgot her "bushy" eyebrows.

don't really notice her eyebrows until you pointed it out, though.

dunno about you, but sheryl eyebrows are on the lowest priority compared to her spilling breasts.

Old 2008-04-21, 04:18   Link #132
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Isn't she blond? With part of her hair dyed. Maybe all of it, but two different colors.
Old 2008-04-21, 05:34   Link #133
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I don't see much problems with Mikhail's put-down, really. He's stating his opinion as a friend and superior pilot in Alto's personal issues in relation to how he might fare in SMS. True, it might be a little harsh and not properly stated, but the issue stands that regardless of Alto's natural talent, there are things he needs to sort out personally... and sadly, it doesn't seem like Alto's anywhere near there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
We don't know that yet. And it seems like he's the typical Kabuki actor who felt too repressed by the extensive loyalty and practice of the theater as a child. Also, it's WAY too stereotypical for parents to be estranged like that from a disgruntled main character. I'd rather see them move on from that angle as soon as possible.
Episode 2 does imply that it's been a long-standing family tradition for god knows how long already. And further implications do show that Alto doesn't seem to deal with his problems orderly, as he pretty much seemed to have just 'left' the institute for performing arts mid-way to aviation. I wouldn't be surprised if he never talked to his family at all in that one year.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-04-21, 06:55   Link #134
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I don't see much problems with Mikhail's put-down, really. He's stating his opinion as a friend and superior pilot in Alto's personal issues in relation to how he might fare in SMS. True, it might be a little harsh and not properly stated, but the issue stands that regardless of Alto's natural talent, there are things he needs to sort out personally... and sadly, it doesn't seem like Alto's anywhere near there yet.
Then he should say so clearly. And what's Mikahil afraid of, exactly? That Alto lacks discipline? Commitment? Both?

Who's he to judge how Alto's dealing with his family? How much does he know? How is it going to impact Alto's performance in a combat unit?
Old 2008-04-21, 07:59   Link #135
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Then he should say so clearly. And what's Mikahil afraid of, exactly? That Alto lacks discipline? Commitment? Both?

Who's he to judge how Alto's dealing with his family? How much does he know? How is it going to impact Alto's performance in a combat unit?
To be fair, he never brought up the family issue in how he thinks Alto's not ready. Besides, it's pretty obvious to the viewers 2/3rd of his emotional issues stem from his inability complex, which is related to how he clearly haven't come to terms with a lot of things.

I think what Mikhail is meaning is closer to saying that Alto's too hasty. It's pretty obvious through 3 episodes that Alto wants to find his new, own path in life as soon as possible, but at the same time, he's still chained by his past which he's not doing anything to sever it and is merely running away.

It's possible that Mikhail judges that the current Alto might just be using SMS as a medium to run away further from his problems. Even if Alto loves to fly, his dreams shouldn't be an excuse to shrug off his responsibilities.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-04-21, 08:16   Link #136
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, it did seem like Alto came from a VERY highly regarded Kabuki tradition which would undoubtedly be a more rational choice for him than risking his life flying for what is basically an uninsured, secretive private service where nobody would even know even if he died. That's just not the pretty life. At all. That is totally opposite of where Alto came from. Objectively, Alto is making an extremely rash decision. How can anyone not be perturbed by that, regardless of how Alto may feel about it?
Old 2008-04-21, 08:49   Link #137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I think it's consistent with his ideals of self-reliance and solidarity. (Yes, I know the two are somewhat contradictory, but.) And I think he's had those for a while.

He hated being helpless against the monsters. He hated that somebody died to save his life. He really wanted to protect people. Getting into the SMS seems like a good way to serve. Sure, it's not as glorious as the real military, with their actual cemetary and commemorative plaques, but if glory interested him, he'd have stuck to kabuki. Plus, the SMS flies the best planes. What's not to like, for Alto?

And what are his responsibilities to his family? He's let them know, in no uncertain terms, that he didn't want to be a prisoner of their acting tradition. If they were accepting and supportive, cutting ties is indeed ungrateful. But if they weren't? What's wrong with walking away?
Old 2008-04-21, 08:56   Link #138
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
I think it's consistent with his ideals of self-reliance and solidarity. (Yes, I know the two are somewhat contradictory, but.) And I think he's had those for a while.
He could probably do that in any arena of life he so chooses I would think. They need to flesh that out better.

Quote:
He hated being helpless against the monsters. He hated that somebody died to save his life. He really wanted to protect people. Getting into the SMS seems like a good way to serve. Sure, it's not as glorious as the real military, with their actual cemetary and commemorative plaques, but if glory interested him, he'd have stuck to kabuki. Plus, the SMS flies the best planes. What's not to like, for Alto?
Nothing I guess? Which is why it is so rash. The typical, wide eyed kid syndrome. Sure, he may not feel better being the Kabuki 'princess' and all, but that is a stable if not outright regal life. Best planes or no, he could've chosen the military as a more than decent option. But I guess the military isn't using the best technology for god knows why (Macross 7 syndrome. All best suits only used for privateers).

Quote:
And what are his responsibilities to his family? He's let them know, in no uncertain terms, that he didn't want to be a prisoner of their acting tradition. If they were accepting and supportive, cutting ties is indeed ungrateful. But if they weren't? What's wrong with walking away?
Again, we don't know the situation either way. It's understandable so I'm not really criticizing Alto for it. I know exactly how it feels even with support. It's not too different from people experiencing 9/11 then joining an extremely dangerous war. Their feelings may be there and all, but it's just not a straightforward decision but a rash one even if such events changed their outlook.
Old 2008-04-21, 08:58   Link #139
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
is it me or the "starship trooper" like space alien activate when ranka is singing?
if it s the case i hope it wont hinder her miss macross contest >_>would be a good reason to stop the singing
Old 2008-04-21, 09:05   Link #140
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Add to that impatience. Not generally a good thing.

Quote:
Alto has nothing to lose. He wants to get away from his house, tradition, etc. Even his everyday school life after joining aviation seems unsatisfactory to him as he complains in episode 1. This element of self-reliance and solidarity is worrisome, even if he himself doesn't see it.

He seems to resent himself when he finds himself getting saved by Mikhail in this episode. That attitude is dangerous. No man can stand alone, as much as he wishes.

Point is that, it's not strange how he might be seen as 'not ready.'

Quote:
We don't know what is his issues, that's why we're not going into too much details.

But obviously he himself knows deep down it's something that he hasn't dealt with.

In anime cliche, I suppose this is where we say he hasn't gone up to his father donned in traditional clothes, takes them off while donning his SMS uniform instead while giving a speech saying on how he doesn't need his family's name and he will be his own man as he has a family that truly cares for him (( SMS )), etc and officially leaves.

Closed Thread