AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2013-08-25, 08:17   Link #21
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm more shocked that you still have a local Barnes & Noble than anything else.

Wait, what's this? You just piqued two of my interests (murder mysteries and Gen Urobuchi).

I'd say, overall, Accel World is probably the one that would interest more people. The Aincrad stuff is amazing, but Fairy Dance is horrible. Not sure about the ones after that, but a second arc that bad can kill a series. Accel World at least keeps its general tempo and narrative throughout (as expected of a later work).
Well, it's not exactly local. It's about 20 minutes by car taking the highway and there are closer stores, but the one I frequent has a huge manga section. OH and yes I was referring to Zaregoto.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 08:30   Link #22
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

As I said in the AW thread, this is good news.

Hmmm... Should I buy the vanilla volumes 1-2 or wait for the Progressive...? One thing for sure, I will buy the GGO and beyond. Fairy Dance... not quite...
Old 2013-08-27, 09:43   Link #23
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
As I said in the AW thread, this is good news.

Hmmm... Should I buy the vanilla volumes 1-2 or wait for the Progressive...? One thing for sure, I will buy the GGO and beyond. Fairy Dance... not quite...
Progressive and the regular volumes do not overlap.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 10:49   Link #24
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Progressive and the regular volumes do not overlap.
Let me rephrase that. Should I buy the volumes 1-2 or wait for yen press to license the SAO Progressive instead?
Old 2013-08-27, 10:58   Link #25
GDB

Well from what he's saying, it seems like you'd be missing out on the story if you didn't pick up the originals. There's not much reason (based purely off of how I'm interpretting Krono) to skip them. As if Progressive were just like volume 2, more side stories rather than a redo of the original.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 12:07   Link #26
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Well from what he's saying, it seems like you'd be missing out on the story if you didn't pick up the originals. There's not much reason (based purely off of how I'm interpretting Krono) to skip them. As if Progressive were just like volume 2, more side stories rather than a redo of the original.
Yep. To clarify my point, SAO: Progressive does not start with the content of episode 1 of the anime. It starts with the content of episode 2, and goes from there. The chapters of volume 1 of the plain SAO series that cover Kayaba trapping them are not present, nor is the First Day side story from volume 8.

So if you just buy Progressive, you will be missing out on some content.
Old 2013-08-28, 06:00   Link #27
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Yep. To clarify my point, SAO: Progressive does not start with the content of episode 1 of the anime. It starts with the content of episode 2, and goes from there. The chapters of volume 1 of the plain SAO series that cover Kayaba trapping them are not present, nor is the First Day side story from volume 8.

So if you just buy Progressive, you will be missing out on some content.
I see... Thank you for the info. I will buy volumes 1-2 at a later date.
Old 2013-08-29, 20:02   Link #28
kazzuya13

So is it still possible to read the ongoing LN even after the Licensee because I would have to wait for a very long time for it to catch up to UW arc. It might even take a decade. Or there is the possibility that they would drop this project after 5-10 volume.
Old 2013-08-29, 20:04   Link #29
GDB

Why would it take a decade? Based on their release schedule, it shouldn't take more than 3 years to reach Alicization once they start, and they'd finish everything within 5 years.
Old 2013-08-31, 01:51   Link #30
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

I for one would find it hiliarious if the UW arc is completed and spoilers are confirmed all over the internet and Yen Press would still be at V6-7 by my reckoning.
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 14:03   Link #31
GDB

I don't see why that'd be so hilarious. There's only 2 volumes left in Japan, right? So 2 years at most. Anyone who would expect YenPress to have caught up by then is just kidding themselves.
Old 2013-08-31, 20:20   Link #32
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusjecht View Post
I for one would find it hiliarious if the UW arc is completed and spoilers are confirmed all over the internet and Yen Press would still be at V6-7 by my reckoning.
That would not be anything out of the ordinary. Manga in the US are routinely well behind the Japanese releases. Leaving tons of spoilers all over the Internet while the manga comes out in the US.
Old 2013-08-31, 20:31   Link #33
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Well, in terms of anime/manga covered I've barely even dipped my toes into the sea of J-culture. A lot of things are still a first for me...

...such as seeing a series yanked because it got licensed.
Old 2013-09-01, 01:05   Link #34
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Well, to be more serious, it *may* make some sense for translation of the rest of the UW arc to continue even after the license.

But the one thing that'll get away would be summaries. So best would be keep waiting on those who can read Jap speedily to tell us what's confirmed and what's new...

>_> -> RKL and team
; )
Old 2013-09-03, 14:08   Link #35
Sasukeuzi

Oh, man. In the middle of getting through Kanji, and I'm laughing at how I'll still be ahead of Yen Press by the time they get to UW.
Sasukeuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 19:20   Link #36
Primary Consult

Yen Press has been doing a good job with Spice and Wolf, so I cautiously agree that this is good news...
I just hope it doesn't go the way of Shana or FMP. In those cases the licensee released the first few, fansubbers dutifully ceased fansubbing and removed all references to the fansubbed versions, and then... the official translation was cancelled, the fansub community had lost interest, and it is now impossible to find a complete (or in some cases even coherent) translation of a good, at one time extremely popular series.
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 19:46   Link #37
GDB

Well, like you said, they've done well on Spice and Wolf. They've also done good by Haruhi, so they're 2 for 2. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

I know the feeling though. TokyoPop did the same to Slayers, only releasing 8 out of 15 volumes. Fan translations only did volume 9, so there's still 6 incomplete volumes (of which, the last 7 are the ones not yet made into an anime yet...).
Old 2013-09-12, 16:35   Link #38
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Hatchette Book Group (which Yen is a label of) is showing the following:

Sword Art Online 1 Aincrad (Light Novel)|April 22, 2014|$13.00
Sword Art Online Aincrad (manga omnibus)|March 25, 2014|$20.00

Source for LN/Manga

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 21:01   Link #39
reekilynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Hatchette Book Group (which Yen is a label of) is showing the following:

Sword Art Online 1 Aincrad (Light Novel)|April 22, 2014|$13.00
Sword Art Online Aincrad (manga omnibus)|March 25, 2014|$20.00

Source for LN/Manga
Too slow. I hope they can release the vol8 before 2014 ends...
reekilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 21:12   Link #40
GDB

They won't. Please be realistic. You'd be expecting them to put it out at a rate of more than 1 per month. If I'm not mistaken, they said it'll be 1 every 3 months.