AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-01, 11:05   Link #41
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://mantan-web.jp/2011/08/02/2011...00040000c.html

Hunter x Hunter TV anime series starts this Fall on Nihon TV. It will be a complete redo like FMA:B, from the very beginning of the manga. The staff and cast will be brand new. The staff was announced today.

Director: Hiroshi Koujina
Series Composition: Jun Maekawa
Character Design: Takahiro Yoshimatsu
Animation Production: Madhouse
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 13:16   Link #42
Ronny

Oh it'll be a remake
Didn't expect that. I was about to watch the original, but I'll hold it off now.
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 13:53   Link #43
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Ah ... being a major fan of the original series, I'm sort of worried about the remake now. Going by how FMA:B started out, this might end up having a similar problem at the start.

One of the strong points of the first anime that it managed to add more to the story to grant it more depth than it's manga counterpart, but if they intended to make this more faithful ...

Then again, it's sort of obvious that they would go the remake route. The original series had already concluded ... twice actually, and then gone on to make the Greed Island OVA's which had an unfortunate release schedule as well, so there wasn't really room to start from that end point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
My only hope and or potential gripe is if they draw the new series in the same Yugioh-esque style of the previous final season...The earlier seasons were super gritty, which was great...The last season, while still entertaining, was more of a kiddie card game...I hope this new series will embrace the darker tone of the first seasons...
I didn't mind the designs as much as I did the obvious drop in quality from the series and the first OVA. The Greed Island OVA's looked very, very bad in general.
Quote:
^The second season when Kurapica turns...I'd put that up against anything in shonen-fighter...Yu Yu Hakusho is still better IMO for varying reasons (One being it has perhaps the greatest villain of alltime in Shinobu Sensui--who it seems Geinen Ryodan's character design was lifted from in some ways--the other reason being it actually concludes), but Kurapica vs. the Spiders arc had some of my biggest holy $hit moments in all my shonen watching days...
I think that Kurapica's storyline was among the most engaging and tense stories I had ever watched on television in general, not just Shonen-fighters. In the genre, from what I read it is par none the best portrayal of an avenger I had seen in a shonen magazine/show. I liked the show well enough before, during the exam arc (also among the better exam arcs I've read, with many memorable parts) and Killua's retrieval and what not, but it was Kurapica's not turning away from his path of vengeance, going as far as he did and doing what many authors shy away from making his archetype do ... not to mention that at that point (the fight with Uvogin specifically) the anime officially became better than the manga. It had always had a better edge before, but after that fight concluded, there was no doubt that the show had managed to improve considerably on the original.
Quote:
I'd say YuYu is a big step up from a show that, while I loved, it's final impression is that of Noah Kaiba's CG card game world in yugioh...Chapter Black has that beat IMO...

I do hope this new show isn't as upbeat and aesthetically pleasing as the last series and OVA...HxH is best with the darker tone...
It feels weird to actually understand what you mean by this. I mean I actually agree with you, but that's not really my reason for disliking Greed Island

Now, YYH vs. HxH ... Honestly, while YYH has a soft spot in my heart, and the Black Chapter being a really good story, I just liked Kurapica more. It was the high point of the series at that point, both in the quality of the story and animation. YYH, for all it's good points, still had some things I though were pretty dumb (the revelation at the end of the Black Chapter arc for one) and I thought that it peaked at the Dark Tournament really, so every thing else was a step down in my eyes.

As for the dark tone, I think that the show was honestly just good at handling all it's tones, from the light hearted to the touching (Gon saying he doesn't need to know who his mom is made me cry back then, and still gets me a bit teared from how powerful it was) to the serious and grim ones. I think the show generally went from being really good to really great once the focus shifted more towards Kurapica's story, but before that I thought that the more memorable moments happened to be the ones where Gon countered all the darkness of the situations he was in rather than the dark nature of them.

But for all it's worth, I think YYH still has the better music.
Old 2011-08-01, 15:55   Link #44
FireChick

I'm just hoping they cast Kaida Yuki as Kurapica again. She was awesome as him!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 18:15   Link #45
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Dammn really didn't expect this. I mean this can be good, but the original up to GI FINAL ova 1 was just great imo. Especially the TV series and OVA 1.
Yeah I also agree with Firechick. The VA's for the characters were perfect.

Last edited by Haohmaru; 2011-08-01 at 19:09.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 18:30   Link #46
kakakka

A remake? Wow. Nice.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 21:26   Link #47
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
It does make sense for a reboot as it has been like 10 years since it started and to engage younger fans, this would be the money maker. But to me it does depend on the amount of episodes they plan to have too. I really hope the original cast is still kept!
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 21:34   Link #48
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

a remake? I hope it means that HXH manga will also end soon like FMA:B case
Gonna miss ohayou as it's opening song
Old 2011-08-01, 21:37   Link #49
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

^Are you for real? HxH manga only had 3 big arcs so far. There is still so much left unexplored.

Last edited by Haohmaru; 2011-08-02 at 15:21.
Old 2011-08-01, 21:40   Link #50
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i wouldnt mind a remake, but would be pointless since the past tv series was great, not sure if they adapted everything according to the manga, but still i enjoyed it a lot, and i havent heard about any bad reception about it, so im not really expecting a reboot, maybe they just got tired of waiting for the mangaka to continue, and are going for an original story, or maybe the author wants to continue the story in the anime format, since he's having trouble doing the manga.
Old 2011-08-01, 21:47   Link #51
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
^Are you for real? HxH manga only had 3 big arcs so far. They're still so much left unexplored.
I know, it still have a lot of undeveloped great characters like Hisoka, Leorio, Kurapica, etc2
but considering how often the mangaka took hiatus, it isn't entirely impossible
That 3 big arcs is probably worth enough for more 100 episodes (if they are planning to do long running series like One Piece, Toriko, etc2)
By then the manga should be able able to move forward about 2-3 arcs (if there is no more hiatus of course LOL) and probably 3-5 more arcs should be enough to cover everything.
Old 2011-08-02, 17:16   Link #52
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm all for this remake. I've only seen a few episodes of the original series (planning to do a marathon before the remake starts), so it'll be interesting making the comparisons come October.
Old 2011-08-02, 20:54   Link #53
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

The anime starts of slow, but when it reaches full throttle around the exams, it gets really awesome. Imo the the best shounen anime out there.
Old 2011-08-02, 22:19   Link #54
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
The anime starts of slow, but when it reaches full throttle around the exams, it gets really awesome. Imo the the best shounen anime out there.
I agree, this is my favorite shounen! I couldn't help but notice how similar some aspects of Naruto are to it to the hunter exams and Sasuke to Kurapica. I do hope the voice actors return back for this >.<
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 22:36   Link #55
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Yeah, some go as far to say Naruto is a rip off. Cause both Mangaka's knew eachother. There are a lot of similarities between the two.
Old 2011-08-02, 23:09   Link #56
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

calling a series a ripoff of naruto when naruto its pretty mush a "for kids" version of berserk quite the irony.
Old 2011-08-03, 00:05   Link #57
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Gotta post a correction. A friend informed me that I made a booboo on the credits.

Series Composition: Jun Maekawa Atsushi Maekawa

I got lazy and used ANN to get the English readings for the names, and it looks like ANN has another screwed up entry.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=17488
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=64265

Same guy, but the correct reading is Atsushi Maekawa. Thx bayoab.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 01:38   Link #58
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Hmm... usually, a reboot is done for something that's wrong, like the original Kanon anime, FMA (for that made-up ending), and Dragon Ball Z (the original show's pace is SO Sssllloooowww). So, why they reboot an already excellent (if not perfect) series? This reboot better be better than the the original, although I know it will not as fresh as when I saw it the first time.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 03:02   Link #59
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Hmm... usually, a reboot is done for something that's wrong, like the original Kanon anime, FMA (for that made-up ending), and Dragon Ball Z (the original show's pace is SO Sssllloooowww). So, why they reboot an already excellent (if not perfect) series? This reboot better be better than the the original, although I know it will not as fresh as when I saw it the first time.
I remember read something about huge mistakes in Spiders Arc, especially after Kurapica seals Lucifer's ability which makes big differences between manga and anime, can't remember it well though especially because I didn't finish watching previous HXH anime.
can someone confirm this?
Old 2011-08-03, 04:55   Link #60
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
calling a series a ripoff of naruto when naruto its pretty mush a "for kids" version of berserk quite the irony.
No, naruto is a ripoff of HxH.

If you actually read HxH and then read Naruto, it's easy to see.

It was even easier to see when both were updating at the same time almost a decade ago.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen