AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-07, 06:57   Link #1
HimOsiris
第六隊隊長-Dai roku tai taichō

Lightbulb Looking for Action/Superpower/martial arts anime focusing on technique

As the title says i m looking for anime in which there is lot of focus on fighting technique be it supernatural/ superpower/ magic/ spirits/ mecca/ swordplay/ samurai/ any fighting sport or just any martial arts. The point is people training and working towards gaining something to become stronger for whatever reason. Its also cool if they are already super strong as long as their techniques are emphasized.

Obviously technique names, prerequisites and execution details are important bonuses. Lets take simple examples like naruto or bleach or even Hajime no ippo ( for diversity). In them people actually discover or invent moves and techniques by training or in time of crisis it comes automatically.
It can be in any setting, any time era, any theme as long as there are details and people keep adding to their skill set. So collecting spirits and magic artifacts can also count as long as it is rigorous and detailed.

And please for heavens sake nothing like Pokemon, Digimon etc
Have already seen most of main stream anime but still all suggestions are welcome

Thank You!!

Last edited by HimOsiris; 2011-02-07 at 10:50.
Old 2011-02-07, 08:43   Link #2
xl_Legit_lx
Destruction by Carnage
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via MSN to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via Yahoo to xl_Legit_lx
Claymore: I would say this is a good swordsman(all women tho haha) show, as people are ranked based on their technique and skill. There is a bunch of fighting, a lot of gore though and they are a bit supernatural.

Yu Yu Hakusho: A lot of martial arts and tournaments, super powers with technique advancements and uniqueness to each character. It's an older anime, but it's definitely worth it. Around 112 Episodes.

-Legit
Old 2011-02-07, 08:53   Link #3
HimOsiris

Claymore, was great. Already seen it though still thanks. So was yu yu Hakusho, a good match.
Although Claymore basically focussed on Yoma power and not technique, infact technique were rarely mentioned.
Old 2011-02-07, 09:15   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Katanagatari Lots of talking the first two episode though. Make sure you watch till the 4th episode before judging.

Ranma 1/2?

Maybe Soul Eater or Chrome Shelled Regios.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-02-07, 10:52   Link #5
Ziziphus
Whatever

Have you seen Dragon Ball Kai? Also, try Hunter x Hunter, InuYasha.

All are good shows with a lot of training and power-ups as well as focus on techniques.
Old 2011-02-07, 10:59   Link #6
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Katanagatari Lots of talking the first two episode though. Make sure you watch till the 4th episode before judging.

Ranma 1/2?

Maybe Soul Eater or Chrome Shelled Regios.
lols katanagatari, i watched the first 2 episodes already, and indeed that was fair warning. Thanks!
Ranma 1/2 looks so shit? is it really any good?
Soul eater lols.. gimme a break.
n chome shelled regios.. don't seem to fit, cause there is no detailing about anything, wth is Kei, dite. Although i Understood everything and I love the anime but still nothing is explained.
Old 2011-02-07, 11:10   Link #7
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Have you seen Dragon Ball Kai? Also, try Hunter x Hunter, InuYasha.

All are good shows with a lot of training and power-ups as well as focus on techniques.
Hunter X Hunter - Sure will check it out thanks!.. I heard its like naruto. Next to watch on my list.
Inuyasha - well thats a descent call i suppose, but still its quite modest in this regard. Same moves repeated in same pattern, no innovation at all, Let alone detailing.
Dragon Ball? Are you serious.. Db is like entry point into anime world. There would hardly be anyone who would not have seen it, still regardless of this, is the Kai thing any different. Doesn't it have the same story, just a remake?.

Thanks!!
Old 2011-02-07, 18:48   Link #8
Practical joke
...completely lost it...

you should try samurai champloo, main characters already quite strong, but the display in arts is great.

hunter x hunter is quite nice, good story, just a tad sad about the card-stuff, but it shouldn't spoil the rest of the series. worth watching.

World's Strongest disciple kenichi: about a kid that learns his ways of martial arts from scratch.

Hitman Reborn: bit far-fetched but it might be something, since all characters continuesly have to learn about their abilities and new stuff.
Same goes for the serie: D.Gray Man. both might not exactly be what you want, but you might like them nonetheless.
Old 2011-02-07, 19:22   Link #9
HimOsiris

HSDK is good call, real precise stuff but seen it already. On the other hand there is no technique description or explanation or any detail either in gray man or champaloo, seen both.

Thanks anyways!
Old 2011-02-07, 19:48   Link #10
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Have you seen Needless?, it's fairly comical at times but overall I think it's type of series you'd want, plus Adam Blade's ability allows him to gain a wide range of techniques and be able to use the in combination at times.

Fate/stay night would also fit, since Shirou works on improving the skill/magic he has into something much more useful while most of the other characters are strong already, though UBW probably shows it better, but telling you to watch the movie with no knowledge of the series/game would be silly .

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, seeing as Nanoha starts off with a very few techniques in magic and gains control of her abilities and learns new techniques fairly quick during the first season since she was considered to be an ace by the end of it.
MAL
Old 2011-02-07, 21:13   Link #11
kitten320

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! does look stupid and first like 19 episodes don't have actual story. But eventually characters get some brains and some action starts. They also always have constant training, usually they are payed off. Tsuna look quiet cool in his super form, but you need to be patient.

Busou Renkin started myself just now, main character got power and is trying to learn to use it to protect people dear to him, quiet standard. Involves Alchemy but it works completly different from Fullmetal Alchemist series.

07-Ghost - the main charcter is from military but because of circumstances had to flee. Now he is learning new abilities.

Air Gear - improves roller skating abilities.

D.Gray Man - Allan has several upgrades over the series.

Fate/Stay Night - shirou is a complete loser and dumb one but does train a lot to improve.

Ga-Rei Zero - sword action, Kagura is trained physically but eventually it is the mental barrier that she has to over come in order to become great.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - first like 3 episodes are seriously concentrated on trainig and even then it doesn't stop there. But it is gun action mostly.

Rosario + Vampire - manga in this case, main lead is pathefic but eventually becomes a real kick ass.

Well there is also Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann but it was not my cup of tea at all.
Old 2011-02-07, 23:37   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HimOsiris View Post
lols katanagatari, i watched the first 2 episodes already, and indeed that was fair warning. Thanks!
Ranma 1/2 looks so shit? is it really any good?
Soul eater lols.. gimme a break.
n chome shelled regios.. don't seem to fit, cause there is no detailing about anything, wth is Kei, dite. Although i Understood everything and I love the anime but still nothing is explained.
Ranma is just old. It's actually pretty decent. It's also the primary originator of martial arts and crafts. It's a hilarious show.

Everything is a martial art technique in Ranma 1/2. Crouch of the Wild Tiger! Sometimes it's silly, other times it's serious. And there is extensive focus on training techniques.

Crazy insane training like pulling chestnuts out of a fire to increase your hand speed.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-02-08, 03:42   Link #13
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Busou Renkin
07-Ghost
Air Gear
D.Gray Man
Fate/Stay Night
Ga-Rei Zero
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Rosario + Vampire
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
You totally lost me there bro. All these anime are good stuff but kind of irrelevant, still all suggestions are welcome. Getting stronger is good, I love those types but you missed the focal point i.e. I want the technique to be detailed. For instance take Hajime No Ippo - he develops or learns Deamsy Roll - It is clearly explained or shown how did he achieve it, How does he gain momentum, How is it a useful technique cause you can dodge or attack at same time. I m looking for this kind of stuff, it would be a perfect match.
Another Example say Naruto : Rassengan - Hell lot of details are given on how to rotate, compress chakra, the legacy involved.
Even stuff like Getsuga Tenshou: Compressing and shooting reitsu from the tip of sword, thats it. Doesn't matter if its brief.

I am sorry if I was not clear before, Thanks for help, keep it comming lols!!..
Old 2011-02-08, 03:50   Link #14
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Ranma is just old. It's actually pretty decent. It's also the primary originator of martial arts and crafts. It's a hilarious show.

Everything is a martial art technique in Ranma 1/2. Crouch of the Wild Tiger! Sometimes it's silly, other times it's serious. And there is extensive focus on training techniques.

Crazy insane training like pulling chestnuts out of a fire to increase your hand speed.
Looks promising, if I can tolerate the Tom Foolery it might actually be amazing.
Thanks mate!.
Old 2011-02-08, 03:55   Link #15
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
You totally lost me there bro. All these anime are good stuff but kind of irrelevant, still all suggestions are welcome. Getting stronger is good, I love those types but you missed the focal point i.e. I want the technique to be detailed.
Fate/Stay Night fits either way still, you'll see his technique progress and explained fairly well .
MAL
Old 2011-02-08, 03:56   Link #16
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Have you seen Needless?, it's fairly comical at times but overall I think it's type of series you'd want, plus Adam Blade's ability allows him to gain a wide range of techniques and be able to use the in combination at times.

Fate/stay night would also fit, since Shirou works on improving the skill/magic he has into something much more useful while most of the other characters are strong already, though UBW probably shows it better, but telling you to watch the movie with no knowledge of the series/game would be silly .

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, seeing as Nanoha starts off with a very few techniques in magic and gains control of her abilities and learns new techniques fairly quick during the first season since she was considered to be an ace by the end of it.
Sure will check tha magic girl, If I remember correctly isn't it ongoing?
Fate/Stay night is good fit. Thanks seen it already though but I need it for collection purpose so it doesn't matter.
Needless is it really good? Cause i saw first episode and I was disgusted by senseless and loud humour. Lemme know if its worth watching further.

Thanks a lot.
Old 2011-02-08, 04:03   Link #17
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Needless is it really good? Cause i saw first episode and I was disgusted by senseless and loud humour. Lemme know if its worth watching further.

Thanks a lot.
Needless starts off more comical, but gets notable more serious as the story progresses, and the first episode was one the more heavy ones in terms of senseless humor.

Edit: Nanoha has been finished for quiet a while, there are a few other ongoing newer ones that are unrelated you might be thinking of though.
MAL
Old 2011-02-08, 04:11   Link #18
kitten320

Quote:
You totally lost me there bro. All these anime are good stuff but kind of irrelevant, still all suggestions are welcome. Getting stronger is good, I love those types but you missed the focal point i.e. I want the technique to be detailed. For instance take Hajime No Ippo - he develops or learns Deamsy Roll - It is clearly explained or shown how did he achieve it, How does he gain momentum, How is it a useful technique cause you can dodge or attack at same time. I m looking for this kind of stuff, it would be a perfect match.
Another Example say Naruto : Rassengan - Hell lot of details are given on how to rotate, compress chakra, the legacy involved.
Even stuff like Getsuga Tenshou: Compressing and shooting reitsu from the tip of sword, thats it. Doesn't matter if its brief.

I am sorry if I was not clear before, Thanks for help, keep it comming lols!!..
Lol guess you also had me lost there. Since in one point you say martial arts and then you say magic is also good!

Well now I understand it better so will try to come up with something else
Old 2011-02-08, 04:23   Link #19
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Since in one point you say martial arts and then you say magic is also good!
I wrote every possible fighting area that I might like, as long as they can fight with something except Pokemon of course, its all good stuff.

Quote:
As the title says i m looking for anime in which there is lot of focus on fighting technique be it supernatural/ superpower/ magic/ spirits/ mecca/ swordplay/ samurai/ any fighting sport or just any martial arts.
Cheers!
Old 2011-02-08, 11:02   Link #20
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Heh, this actually got me to check out the old Ranma episodes again.

I guess I'd forgotten that the first season is mainly introducing the main characters (except for Ukyo who shows up season 4 I think). The heavy training parts don't really get going until season 2 when Cologne shows up.

Maybe you should check out the manga.

Closed Thread