AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-16, 00:18   Link #1
killercartoon

Kekkaishi

I really love this manga. One thing that bothers me is that for some reason, it's not as popular as it should be, and as a result the manga chapters are released at a very slow rate. Anyhow, im hoping that we could discuss this manga, and maybe someone could even bring up spoilers for the chapters that haven't been translated.
Old 2007-12-16, 01:33   Link #2
gonzo562

i really enjoy this manga as well

i also wish chapters would come out fast. I think scans are up to volume 11 and thier is about 20 volumes out already.

and the manga scans and anime subs are so close to each other.
Old 2008-01-07, 15:00   Link #3
darktox

I also love this manga. The story is pretty interesting, enjoyable and the a slice of humor. The anime is finally scheduled to end at 52 episodes, and the mangascans are up to chapter 119 and it is(thank god) licensed.
Old 2008-02-03, 11:17   Link #4
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Lol, I am going to bump this thread for good. I don't think I need to put on a spoiler tag by the way.. since this is about the manga itself, right? Unless there's a specific thing I should follow..

Right now, I am on volume 18, the grandparents and their grandchildren teamed up to form a huge Kekkai (The method is called 四师方阵), moving the butterflies out into another dimension, then kill all of it. I am so impressed by the the Manga-ka's imagination and creativity. There's much room for development ( I am glad so, I couldn't stop flipping on the pages and find out what's going to happen, it's been some time I have such feeling of anticipation) , the storyline is GREAT, truly enjoyable, with some interesting plots remained unsolved. Action? Oh wow, I just love the ways how they mess around with the barriers wisely! There's a part where Masamori cast barrier from all 6 sides (360 degree) at the same time on (无道, I'm not really sure of the exact name, but he's rumoured not able to die, invincible will be the right word to use?) who can create lethal round ball-like barrier. That's just SUBARASHII!!

10/10 for anime.
10/10 for manga.

I LOVE KEKKAISHI! <3

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 2008-02-03 at 11:37.
Old 2008-02-09, 01:11   Link #5
Jura

The only thing stopping me from getting into the manga is how many volumes that are out. Loved the anime, just wished the main two characters were tiny kids through the whole series..
Old 2008-02-09, 04:00   Link #6
Phantasmagoria
*Author

There are only 18 volumes and still on-going.
Old 2008-04-05, 13:05   Link #7
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
woah. latest chapters. wtf?

shes a ninja of love! Flee YOSHI!! FLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 2008-04-05, 18:22   Link #8
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Haha, indeed, such characters are better left up alone. Pitying yourself for your bad luck is the only thing you can do once you are on their sight
Old 2008-04-17, 15:12   Link #9
seraphicmin
緒に...永久に?

Yup, it's pretty surpising to know that this manga/anime isn't as popular. I thought it's quite a good catch too. I thought it would be like around the same level as Naruto, bleach or D.Gayman. Cause the plot and fights were pretty good and interesting too.
Old 2008-04-17, 18:19   Link #10
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

The problem is the story is flat, it has no life or soul. Especially when you compare it to the likes of Bleach.

Bleach reaches out and throttles you from the first volume. Volume one of kekkaishi sends you to sleep. Though i'm more inclined to believe it's due to the usualy hatchet job by Viz than anything else
Old 2008-09-25, 01:41   Link #11
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

hmm currently 200 chapters translated... how many are there in total and do we know when will it end?

I think i would have enjoyed the anime more than the manga... but since no second seasons are likely to happen ill just stick to the mangas.
Old 2008-09-25, 12:03   Link #12
Immortus

What are you talking about, Tiamat? I get it that people are fans of bleach because it IS a quite enjoyable read.

BUT I am not inclined to believe that it has a better story. The last chapters are battles after battles of some secondary characters.

Every single character in Kekkaishi is better flashed out then those in Bleach. Even mighty ones as that ougi-wind-master cant depend on their power, because interesting battle-techniques can defeat them, as was demonstrated in the last chapters.

Kekkaishi starts out slower than Bleach, but it keeps on running without running out of steam. ^^
Old 2008-09-25, 12:24   Link #13
Ultenth

Kekkaishi was my favorite shounen anime until it was cancelled. I know it's not quite as action filled as others, but the characters and story are better fleshed out because of it in my opinion. I still read the manga whenever a new chapter comes out, and it's probably one of my favorite shounen manga's as well. I love a lot of the themes they approach differently than other shounen fare, especially in regards to the main character acting like the hero trying to save everyone else, especially how they have addressed it in recent chapters.

It's kind of unfortunate that the thread here is so short and doesn't seem many people read it. Probably because for a shounen shows their powers (especially early on) aren't really all that cool looking (I mean they make boxes, threads and spheres) compared to other shows. But I really like the very imaginative uses of the powers they do have. The fighting is much more cerebral, instead of shows out there that basically come down to who has the most power, and can take the most damage, with powers just being thrown back and forth and very little strategy or imaginative uses of powers.
Old 2008-09-25, 13:45   Link #14
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

I think the reason more people aren't into Kekkaishi is because in some ways it's an atypical shounen manga. I mean, the main char. likes baking cakes and sweets and doesn't like fighting, unlike the main chars of say....bleach and naruto. The action is slower but in return, the chars feel a lot more fleshed out. And people that matter actually die -_-

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2008-09-26, 00:55   Link #15
mako1138
tsun tsun dere dere

I've moved beyond shounen manga for the most part, but I like Kekkaishi. It's got heart, and it's got a fresh concept. The author has really given some thought to how kekkai can be used dynamically.

Don't worry, I like Bleach too (but it's jumped the shark somewhat).
Old 2008-09-26, 01:57   Link #16
Valerian Mengsk

I'm another fan (relatively new though), and I have to say that it does seems rather well fleshed out. And it seems to be a shounen that doesn't mind flirting with the moral right/wrong and the logical right/wrong issue.
Spoiler for example:

And though I'm not really a romance reader, I think its kind of neat that the author plays around with the idea of a developing relationship, compared to other series (D. Grayman, Bleach, kinda sorta in Fairytail)
Old 2008-10-27, 13:36   Link #17
[MrSonic]

Send a message via ICQ to [MrSonic]
This series is great, read through 215 chapters in two days.
In fact, among the current weekly shounens - only OP and Gintama (and maybe HSDK - Kekkaishi's plot much better though) better for me.

I wonder, where is Heisuke. I enjoyed his character since I like strong old people by default. Though, he wasn't reallty strong but had a powerful servant and was very intelligent. I hope he didn't die off panel. I liked his demoness as well, and I wonder, if there would be some high class demons in future or not.
Old 2008-10-28, 13:13   Link #18
blade82

Heisuke
Old 2008-10-28, 13:20   Link #19
[MrSonic]

Send a message via ICQ to [MrSonic]
Heisuke was the old man with demoness, who fought with Byaku in Kokubourou arc. The one who investigated Ayakashi's human hand.

Last edited by [MrSonic]; 2008-12-30 at 11:51.
Old 2008-10-28, 16:57   Link #20
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
anyone got a clue on whats going on in chapter 234 o.o;
Also does anyone know the name of the new guy who looks so much like Gen, and no not Sen
this guy uses blades
Closed Thread