AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 25 Rating
Perfect 10 133 39.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 81 24.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 9.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 27 8.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 2.99%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.90%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 32 9.58%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-28, 15:19   Link #861
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Speaking of Ranka, I find it completely absurd that people would just... forgive her for no reason.

Really, for the many things she done in the series, it would have been worthy of capital punishment had she existed in the real world.

- Tak
What things? Leaving? I wasn't aware Frontier was a prison.

As for the rest, they can just push it on Grace. "Ranka was mind controlled. Thanks to Sheryl's singing, she was able to break free and turn the Vajra into our allies". Heck, they can put her leaving on Grace, too, if they want. "Ranka was actually kidnapped".
Old 2008-09-28, 15:25   Link #862
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
They wouldn't earn anything with regular, post Grace finishing episodes. Only fans would be happy. That's all to it.
Yeah, well. ThereŽs still stuff to be finished. What happened to the rest of the Galaxy fleet, for example? So I think some additional episodes would have been fine. But weŽll probably get to that in the movie. The Vajra are done for, as it is.

BTW, is it bad that I didnŽt shed a tear for the end of Macross Frontier, but did so for the death of Ledouche? I guess itŽs just the difference of ending Macross on such a light note, instead of tearjerking the audience as they did with Lelouche dying and Nunally having a crying fit.

But IŽd loved to have a more genuinely emotional reaction to not seeing some of my favourite characters leaving for the foreseeable future.
Old 2008-09-28, 15:29   Link #863
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, well. ThereŽs still stuff to be finished. What happened to the rest of the Galaxy fleet, for example? So I think some additional episodes would have been fine. But weŽll probably get to that in the movie. The Vajra are done for, as it is.

BTW, is it bad that I didnŽt shed a tear for the end of Macross Frontier, but did so for the death of Ledouche? I guess itŽs just the difference of ending Macross on such a light note, instead of tearjerking the audience as they did with Lelouche dying and Nunally having a crying fit.

But IŽd loved to have a more genuinely emotional reaction to not seeing some of my favourite characters leaving for the foreseeable future.
It's a difference created by the author. Sappy music and loud screaming vs. WTF reaction. Can't shed a tear with WTF reaction now, can we?

There are a lot and I mean a lot of things to be finished. Most of them consider the future of each and every character. If it was so easy to finish it like they did here then SDF would end with Misa and Hikaru watching Macross descend onto Earth after the Bodolza fight.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-09-28, 15:37   Link #864
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
It's a difference created by the author. Sappy music and loud screaming vs. WTF reaction. Can't shed a tear with WTF reaction now, can we?

There are a lot and I mean a lot of things to be finished. Most of them consider the future of each and every character. If it was so easy to finish it like they did here then SDF would end with Misa and Hikaru watching Macross descend onto Earth after the Bodolza fight.
Ah, wasnŽt it originally supposed to? ^^

But, yeah, we got a happy, if WTF?, end for Macross, so I guess some manly tears would have been inappropiate. ^^
Old 2008-09-28, 15:54   Link #865
kamikazex

the music was soo goodd
Old 2008-09-28, 15:57   Link #866
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Please it's only WTF for people new to macross. Old macross fan/vets will think "just as planned"

The one thing I really wanted to see is how the fleet over came all of Galaxy's ghosts. From the way Luca was speaking the X-9 ghosts were still not as powerful (AI wise) as the original from M+. Still though those ghost could easily over power the NUNs fleet. I would have loved to see one of them really take on a VF-25. That would prove that the VF-25 is superior to (or at least on par) both the YF-19 and 21
Old 2008-09-28, 16:10   Link #867
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
Please it's only WTF for people new to macross. Old macross fan/vets will think "just as planned"
Eh, I meant the non-resolution to the romance. That there would be lovey-dovey understanding between humanity and the Vajra in the end was to be expected. Although they really waited until the very last episode to get to it, which is a bit unexpected for a Macross series.
Old 2008-09-28, 16:13   Link #868
KeithCourage
Kitto Yuuki

Send a message via ICQ to KeithCourage Send a message via MSN to KeithCourage
Wow judging from ratings and a handful of replies (small sample size really, but bear with), I suppose I'm one of the few who was deeply disappointed. Some of the art here and there was nice in terms of scale and detail...but come on. Maybe I got too wrapped up in all the quaint tributes and the occasional interesting moments/personality traits throughout the series. Good guys win, nobody dies, fine. Recycling all the music with nothing new(k a little)? Slight cringe. Both love interests win, mediocre execution in the revelation of Grace...Leon seems like a har har device rather than a character. Sheryl expires only to be brought to life by coloured personas of the other main characters. At this point I'm wondering what the point of the series was other than to appease a bunch of people. I guess I was lured on by the promise of a director with more experience than before who was offering the occasional different idea.

Ending - Abrupt? Pointless? Great art but disappointing direction? I can't help but feel this was rushed but 25 episodes with a big budget leads me to -hope- they didn't mismanage the pacing. Well, I guess that would mean I'm saying they either botched it due to time or botched it...in my mind .

Not trying to be too critical here but honestly after being able to enjoy a mainstream series for the first time in awhile it only took one episode to make me regret a large chunk of this endeavour.

Edit : Yeah, I know this ending was very Macross and I do enjoy a good Macross here and there. The sense of scale briefly took me back to the old days, reminiscing of the pilot/singer relationship I fell in love with back in 199X...long ago. It just kept jerking me back to reality repeatedly with a lot of cliched/par devices and decisions.
Old 2008-09-28, 16:20   Link #869
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Well comparatively, i can understand why some people would feel that this ending is disappointing. But anyone who's seen the end of Macross 7 knew this was a huge possibility.

I do agree that it was disappointing that there was no new music. They should have kept Northern Cross and Lion secret until the end. At least M7 saved 1 awesome song for the end.

As far as being botched, it's a matter of opinion. People that watched M7 and thought it was bad, would probably see this as a step forward. M7 was notorious for feeling drawn out then rushed in spots.
Old 2008-09-28, 16:23   Link #870
magnuskn

Quote:
Well comparatively, i can understand why some people would feel that this ending is disappointing. But anyone who's seen the end of Macross 7 knew this was a huge possibility.
Well, with M7 the whole romance aspect wasnŽt that important as with MF. Basara was disinterested ( at least in Mylene... Emilia and Sivil are another thing ), Mylene was too immature and Gamlin was too apathetic.
Old 2008-09-28, 16:27   Link #871
KeithCourage
Kitto Yuuki

Send a message via ICQ to KeithCourage Send a message via MSN to KeithCourage
Fair enough. I saw the older Macross stuff and enjoyed it thoroughly. 7 I glanced over due to unfavourable reviews/glut of par for the course anime. I saw Zero and was pretty disappointed. It could have been worse.

Message force...Mulit-plier? Wha?

Yeah I'm plenty aware that many enjoyed the ending. I suppose I get too worked up sorting through all the animes that are rehashes for money or targetted at...well, duh, shonen. Being 23 makes me too old I suppose.
Old 2008-09-28, 16:44   Link #872
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, with M7 the whole romance aspect wasnŽt that important as with MF. Basara was disinterested ( at least in Mylene... Emilia and Sivil are another thing ), Mylene was too immature and Gamlin was too apathetic.
heh, maybe it was just me, but I saw a lot of Basara's disinterested-jerk aloofness in Alto. So the ending wasn't that surprising to me.

@kenith As far as being targeted to shonen... that's probably not exactly right. I feel that the series was targeted at people that were familiar with the past macross series and just picked up everyone after it was spiced up with all the cutesy trends that are common in main stream anime.
Old 2008-09-28, 16:50   Link #873
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithCourage View Post
Yeah I'm plenty aware that many enjoyed the ending. I suppose I get too worked up sorting through all the animes that are rehashes for money or targetted at...well, duh, shonen. Being 23 makes me too old I suppose.
LOL. I am 33. ^^

I guess I just retained my sense of wonder at charming characters, good singing and beautiful animation.

And, hey, Sheryl Nome is the very best character to have come along in years. That should count for something. In fact, I cannot think of a character I have liked more in the years I have watched anime. Maybe Misa. Maybe Chidori or Tessa.

Nah, Sheryl is the absolutely best one.

Quote:
heh, maybe it was just me, but I saw a lot of Basara's disinterested-jerk aloofness in Alto. So the ending wasn't that surprising to me.
In the beginning, yes. But as the series progressed, you saw that Alto cared deeply about Sheryl and his other friends. I mean, can you imagine Basara getting as emotional about anyone as Alto did over Sheryl in episode 22? Or having a tender scene with Mylene, as Alto did during the dinner in 23? Basara was about the music, always, everywhere. Then, faaaar behind that came his friends.
Old 2008-09-28, 17:24   Link #874
HonorGuideMe

omg they better make some post series episodes or soemthing i wanna know what happens to the LT D:
Old 2008-09-28, 17:34   Link #875
Joachim
et tu, brute?

the more i watch it, the more i feel that ranka slap is not actually needed.. it just feel like they put it there to counter sheryl's slap, no i'm not wearing shipping googles at the moment, it just not needed and whats with the slap! moment pause with angry face "BAKA!"

yea right..., its not redeeming ranka anyway

blech
Old 2008-09-28, 17:42   Link #876
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
yea right..., its not redeeming ranka anyway
Nah, that honor goes to her curing Sheryl. If sheŽd only acknowledged that sheŽd better look for another nice guy and leave Alto to Sheryl, then IŽd have forgiven her ( almost ) anything. Besides getting Michael killed.
Old 2008-09-28, 17:47   Link #877
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Speaking of Ranka, I find it completely absurd that people would just... forgive her for no reason.

Really, for the many things she done in the series, it would have been worthy of capital punishment had she existed in the real world.

- Tak
Ranka was forgiven too easily. Alto's statement of killing Ranka was just Drama. Most people thought he might have tried to do it, while in reality the idea never crossed his mind during the battle. IT just make it seem more like what many people thought, that Alto was just showing up to Klan how much he loved ranka and not that he wanted to defend the fleet so much.

I guess sheryl reaction on the rooftop was right on the spot. I knew that they have been showing Sheryl having such good insight about Alto during the whole show to just make her look like she misunderstood him there. Sheryl knows alto better than he knows himself.
Old 2008-09-28, 17:47   Link #878
Zaku_II
1st Scouting Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
the more i watch it, the more i feel that ranka slap is not actually needed.. it just feel like they put it there to counter sheryl's slap, no i'm not wearing shipping googles at the moment, it just not needed and whats with the slap! moment pause with angry face "BAKA!"
It was necesary to make a DYRL homage (Hikaru to Minmay).
Old 2008-09-28, 18:00   Link #879
magnuskn

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Ranka was forgiven too easily. Alto's statement of killing Ranka was just Drama. Most people thought he might have tried to do it, while in reality the idea never crossed his mind during the battle. IT just make it seem more like what many people thought, that Alto was just showing up to Klan how much he loved ranka and not that he wanted to defend the fleet so much.

I guess sheryl reaction on the rooftop was right on the spot. I knew that they have been showing Sheryl having such good insight about Alto during the whole show to just make her look like she misunderstood him there. Sheryl knows alto better than he knows himself.
You are getting it wrong again. Sheryl might have had good insight into Alto, but it was clearly shown in episodes 23 and 24 that she was convinced that Alto only stayed with her out of a sense of pity. That was what clouded her perception of him and of that scene on the rooftop.
Old 2008-09-28, 18:05   Link #880
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post

nope, i would say you got it wrong

alto was serious in killing ranka (his yell of rage in eps 24, which leads up to..) up to when he "saw" that ranka was tied up and crying help me, by then he know that ranka was being used and try to help her

If by any chance it was fully ranka's will to destroy humanity, alto will surely kill her
Closed Thread