2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.64%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-23, 07:11   Link #241
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belum_nabum View Post
Going into this series I would add that snakes, cats and vampires are certain myths of Japanese society. Certain taken from European and USA beliefs such as witches and vampires.
Umm.. nothing is from the US. Its all from Europe and Asia. Stories might have changed slightly here and there but it is all from Europe and Asia. The USA hasn't even been around for 300 years.
Old 2009-09-23, 07:25   Link #242
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
And don't forget that the vast majority of the USA's population comes from either European, Asian or African ancestry. There are only a very few native american indians around, so most of what we see, like witches and vampires, were stories originally created by earlier European culture.

And anyways, most pop or cultural references seen in anime shouldn't really be taken seriously because they're merely references based on older and more intricate myths. What we see is just a representation based on someone else's interpretation for the pure purpose of entertainment and just for the fun of it.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 08:25   Link #243
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Dont think to much on this subject in particular. There are better ones you can tackle.

Not saying you are wrong or right, but using anime as a reflection of a culture that may or may not(i havent looked it up) have a little problem like that pales in comparison to other cultural problems in this world, and it really isnt worth your time.

Its fictional, its cute, Japan isnt a problem nation for it.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 10:08   Link #244
appztetra
Translator, Scanlator

Hehehe, Hanekawa can be a tsundere too

Anyway Araragi-kun.....I love you :asar:
appztetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 11:12   Link #245
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Umm.. nothing is from the US. Its all from Europe and Asia. Stories might have changed slightly here and there but it is all from Europe and Asia. The USA hasn't even been around for 300 years.
There are still story and legends from Native Americans that bare similar aspects to other myths they have just changed over time as they were passed down. the US is about 300 hundred years but not the continent The huron Indians have myths about men turning into wolves obviously a reference to Werewolves. The Hopi Indians have myths of blood suckers that are similar to vampires.
Old 2009-09-23, 12:38   Link #246
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
There are still story and legends from Native Americans that bare similar aspects to other myths they have just changed over time as they were passed down. the US is about 300 hundred years but not the continent The huron Indians have myths about men turning into wolves obviously a reference to Werewolves. The Hopi Indians have myths of blood suckers that are similar to vampires.
Then the term used should have been "The Americas" - not "USA." Although, Native American stories of werewolves are always good.
Old 2009-09-23, 14:58   Link #247
Belum_nabum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Oops, my bad I forgot about the colonization of the Americas by Europe so that is plausible but certain fables were invented within USA/North American continent.
Belum_nabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 15:04   Link #248
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Oops, my bad I forgot about the colonization of the Americas by Europe so that is plausible but certain fables were invented within USA/North American continent.
Such as ????
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 15:10   Link #249
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Such as ????
Only because my novel uses some of these as the basis for what happens:

Native American -
1) Certain animalistic creation myths
2) The "Trickster" Coyote or Wolf mythos

Central/South American -
1) Mayan calendar and the "renewing world" mythos

Early Americana -
1) Rip Van Winkle
2) Headless Horseman

Not to say that ANY of these are present in the current series. But there ARE some stories/myths unique to the Americas.
Old 2009-09-23, 15:25   Link #250
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Only because my novel uses some of these as the basis for what happens:

Native American -
1) Certain animalistic creation myths
2) The "Trickster" Coyote or Wolf mythos

Central/South American -
1) Mayan calendar and the "renewing world" mythos

Early Americana -
1) Rip Van Winkle
2) Headless Horseman

Not to say that ANY of these are present in the current series. But there ARE some stories/myths unique to the Americas.
Hmmmmmmmm....
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 18:10   Link #251
Belum_nabum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Such as ????
Such as some vampire movies like Blade or Buffy the vampire slayer, but it's not a fable.
Belum_nabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 19:57   Link #252
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Such as some vampire movies like Blade or Buffy the vampire slayer, but it's not a fable.
You know, you just said, "There are fables that come from the US. Also, Blade and Buffy the Vampire Slayer come from the US, but they don't have anything to do with fables." Either that, or I'm misunderstanding again.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 20:03   Link #253
Voitan

Hmm... Well, what to say here about Hitagi and Hanekawa?

Hrmmm... I feel Hitagi isn't exactly ready to have a relationship as intimate as "lovers" with Araragi. She's just getting back into the swing of emotions and so far... they tend to be a bit... violent and possesive.

I think she jumped the boyfriend/girlfriend thing too early.

Not that hasn't impacted the overall fresh feel I had when the series bucked the trend in most animes/novels/mangas that leave a relationship vague until the very end.

She's without a doubt the most interesting and enigmatic character in the series, but for something supposed to be intimate and supportive, Hanekawa is already that, and more, to Araragi already.
Voitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-23, 20:15   Link #254
monir
cho~ kakkoii

So any theories on how does Shinobu figure into the observation Sengoku made? Araragi seem to have completely misunderstood what Sengoku was saying about Shinobu.

Btw, I also think Arargai never had any sort of feeling for Hanekawa other than the notion of a good friend. The biggest reason for such assertion is the very fact that he has accepted Senjougahara's confession. And as we have come to know, Araragi is quite capable of distinguishing the right from the wrong.... and at some respect... to an overbearing degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
If someone did forget that scene they need to leave forums now and go hit themselves hard very hard with something heavy as punishment.
That punishment isn't heavy enough. I suggest the guilty is forced to listen to Orihime-chan's sweet little voice for 30 consecutive minutes as she repeats the phrase, "Kurosaki-kun" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 10:38   Link #255
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post

That punishment isn't heavy enough. I suggest the guilty is forced to listen to Orihime-chan's sweet little voice for 30 consecutive minutes as she repeats the phrase, "Kurosaki-kun" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

DAMN DUDE thats harsh just thinking about that punishment is making want to stick two needles through my ears to end the pain.

ever see the movie Adams Family values? I could totally put someone in a room like that filled with the most annoying voices and characters in anime history.
Old 2009-09-24, 20:49   Link #256
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
So any theories on how does Shinobu figure into the observation Sengoku made? Araragi seem to have completely misunderstood what Sengoku was saying about Shinobu.

Btw, I also think Arargai never had any sort of feeling for Hanekawa other than the notion of a good friend. The biggest reason for such assertion is the very fact that he has accepted Senjougahara's confession. And as we have come to know, Araragi is quite capable of distinguishing the right from the wrong.... and at some respect... to an overbearing degree.

Well similarly, he never had any affection for Senjougahara(preconfession I guess)

And hasnt shown allot toward her save a sense of duty and physical attraction.

So I wouldnt judge whether he felt anything one way or another, he just seems to be one that goes with the flow(which I believe Oshino said)

He just seems to be like that.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 07:14   Link #257
deranged_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
^^^
TSUBASA BANZAI!

Spoiler for Size:

banzai!!!!!!!!!
deranged_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 21:48   Link #258
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Finally got around to watching this.

Truly lovely artwork for this episode. Some of the more artistic animation portions were truly breathtaking instead of the usual 'Shaft being Shaft' approaches.

Tsubasa may be the most awesome catgirl I've ever seen...

Her dark catgirl side is too cool for words! Very neat character; intriguing multiple personality here.

A very solid episode with uniquely good visuals. 9/10.
Old 2009-09-27, 05:10   Link #259
Fate_T_H

well all these arguments about koyomi having feelings for hanekawa all resolved in just one episode's worth of time. episode 12. banzai!!!! it just cemented koyomi's love for hitagi and their relationship as a whole.
Fate_T_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 02:25   Link #260
Sol Falling

Some quick thoughts before going off to watch episode 12:

-the animation kinda sucked this time, even if there weren't lany ong periods of blankness. I wouldn't call this a return to standard; Shaft was clearly rushed here as well. But again, DVD's will make everything better.
-'Nyahahahaha!' was annoying and not convincing. The interjection of 'nya', etc. in the place of various other consonants in dialogue, however, was hilarious.
-holy god Nadeko is cute. hhnnngh. I didn't even like her at first, why do I feel this way etc., etc.
-I think Shaft must by masters at cute voice acting or something, or maybe I just don't watch enough moe anime, but Karen and Tsukihi nearly made me lose it with the ending preview too. Frankly I think one of the underappreciated aspects of Shaft that gets lost in all the talk about its animation style is their consistent aural excellence. Goddamn if Renai Circulation isn't a vocal masterpiece, and this eps preview just reinforces that can get those lilts and cadences just right.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote