AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 27 17.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 25.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 42 27.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 17.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 3.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.66%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.66%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.99%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-25, 06:39   Link #101
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaaz View Post
I don't get why people hate on Yui so much, I'm glad she's gonna replace Iwasawa, cool tragic heroine characters are boring IMO

Yui's so hyper and her antics are really cute and funny. I also like her interaction with Hinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakatorrents Forum
I would have found Yui quite adorable. IF ONLY HER LINEAGE WAS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR OVER 100+ SERIES OF PLOTLESS MUEBLUB GARBAGE THAT FLOODS THE AIRWAVES.

I was like Hell Yeah! When Hinata brushed off her moe-chanting then put her into a grid lock.
There are too many variations of this punit running around for me to have any sympathy on this abused dead horse character trait.
Old 2010-04-25, 07:03   Link #102
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Four episodes in and the main characters get hated on? O_o

I don't see how Yuri bearing some resemblance to Haruhi and Yui being a mindless imouto ruin this show in any way.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-04-25, 07:08   Link #103
rejer

The vice-president was a reference to Naoto from P4.
I wonder how following the school rules makes someone disappear? If it makes you somehow satisfied with your previous life (forcing you to forget all about it maybe), then you will disappear when you let go of your regrets whether you follow the rules or not.
That means Otonashi will never disappear if he doesn't have the memories of his previous life?
I want more Tenshi.
Now with Yui we have four main characters. I was a bit surprised when I saw her name in the main characters section on wiki but oh well. She's cute and funny. Her costume isn't bad.
Old 2010-04-25, 07:27   Link #104
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think the only rule in the school is "Abandon Your Will". That's why most of the students act as if they are programmed to do certain things.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2010-04-25, 08:12   Link #105
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

We have not seen anyone act as if they're programmed yet though, some of the students even protested during the concert in episode 3. I still think the NPC explanation is not true, and is either a lie or a misconception on Yuri's part.
Old 2010-04-25, 08:21   Link #106
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, there's one way to find out...

See you at the afterlife school! XD

Kidding aside, yeah. There are still not much disclosed info about the afterlife. I wonder what the next episode holds.

Old 2010-04-25, 08:24   Link #107
Crontica

I stand by my theory that the SSS team are soulbound ghosts. Or they are inside a Dream.
Old 2010-04-25, 08:43   Link #108
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

They might be soulbound, but like Iwasawa, they must fulfill the things that they have failed to do before dying so that they can move on.

The NPCs might have forgotten about their mission due to the "curriculum" enforced by the "Afterlife Academy" which involves them being restrained to the point that they have little to no drive to move on, and thus, is stuck in the afterlife. That's until SSS came. Because of the Girl Dead Monster, they taught themselves that there are stuff that they can enjoy after all. For some unknown reason though, this does not cause them to urge themselves to find their way out of their "unfinished business".

As for Yuri, she has the most difficult business to fulfill: to defeat God to avenge her sisters. I think Otonashi is there to keep her company throughout the series, as the rest of the SSS solve their own business and cross over. And maybe, he could persuade her that she needs to accept her fate, no matter how bad it was.

Old 2010-04-25, 09:03   Link #109
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Four episodes in and the main characters get hated on? O_o

I don't see how Yuri bearing some resemblance to Haruhi and Yui being a mindless imouto ruin this show in any way.
Although we can't deny similarities w/ the Haruhi characters like how Yuri is similar to Haruhi, Otonashi to Kyon, Hinata is... well... similar to Koizumi? Tenshi is as godly as Yuki? Yui to Mikuru maybe.... (some might say its a "Pirated Haruhi")

BUT...

The show still has its good points. Music is a valuable asset of this anime, both OP and ED are great, the Insert songs has catchy sounds. The story is simple but interesting enough to be the subject for healthy and friendly discussion (existence of afterlife and of God). Though the characters might have similarities with other charaters, the characters of Angel Beats have their own stories and pasts making them different (This is true for Yuri and Hinata, no idea if true for Tenshi).

BTW... i liked Yui's version of the OP
Old 2010-04-25, 09:43   Link #110
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
They might be soulbound, but like Iwasawa, they must fulfill the things that they have failed to do before dying so that they can move on.

The NPCs might have forgotten about their mission due to the "curriculum" enforced by the "Afterlife Academy" which involves them being restrained to the point that they have little to no drive to move on, and thus, is stuck in the afterlife. That's until SSS came. Because of the Girl Dead Monster, they taught themselves that there are stuff that they can enjoy after all. For some unknown reason though, this does not cause them to urge themselves to find their way out of their "unfinished business".

As for Yuri, she has the most difficult business to fulfill: to defeat God to avenge her sisters. I think Otonashi is there to keep her company throughout the series, as the rest of the SSS solve their own business and cross over. And maybe, he could persuade her that she needs to accept her fate, no matter how bad it was.

Well, you shouldn't completely believe everything that Yuri says about the NPCs, as I am sure it's just her term to distinguish people who rebel with those that don't. I mean she stated that people disappear by following the system. But if they were NPCs, why would they need to disappear?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2010-04-25, 09:53   Link #111
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I was just stating my stand considering only those mentioned in the anime right.
It's still subject to change as each episode goes.

And we're like stuck with almost the same info Otonashi has right now.

Old 2010-04-25, 12:33   Link #112
ksho

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsubou-san View Post
If you borrow a few concepts from The Matrix (in particular, the ability of characters to download skills to add to their repertoire of logic-defying moves, as aptly demonstrated by Trinity's ability to fly a Huey), then I don't think it matters if Tenshi can or cannot physically play baseball...

The way Tenshi develops her combat skills (which she somehow does by preparing them on her Winding XO PC) is not that different from how programs are downloaded to Matrix characters after all...
Actually, Yurippe stated that Tenshi is creating her abilities herself using the same method that their allies in Guild are doing to create their weapons. We've already seen in episode 2 that this method has its limits in that they can only create weapons that they know of/understand. (as demonstrated spectacularly by the Rail Cannon they put together backfiring on them).

Those combat skills she's supposedly downloading might not be combat skills at all. But advanced weapons beyond human comprehension that only Tenshi alone knows off and is reproducing herself. If you look at it that way, then it's impossible for her to reproduce baseball skills. Expertise is not an object/weapon that can be recreated and is only achievable through practice.
Old 2010-04-25, 12:38   Link #113
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonhym View Post
Hinata is... well... similar to Koizumi?
I only watched the first season, but for me Hinata is already far more developed than Blandy McBland, the Blandest Man in Blandland.
Old 2010-04-25, 13:57   Link #114
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaaz View Post
I don't get why people hate on Yui so much...
Really?....Really?

For one, Yui doesn't shut up, and two her "I'm so cute! Nyaah!" act was funny the first time, but doing it again & again eventually got annoying.
I hope they tone down her character a bit.
I wonder since she's so hyper-active, that they're gonna make her past super-uber tragic just for the sake of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonhym
Although we can't deny similarities w/ the Haruhi characters like how Yuri is similar to Haruhi, Otonashi to Kyon, Hinata is... well... similar to Koizumi? Tenshi is as godly as Yuki? Yui to Mikuru maybe.... (some might say its a "Pirated Haruhi")
Ahhhh, I wouldn't want to make those kind of comparisons but I guess some of us can't help it
But Hinata isn't as "fabulous" as Koizumi though.
Old 2010-04-25, 14:14   Link #115
Kagura89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust Romance View Post
Really?....Really?

For one, Yui doesn't shut up, and two her "I'm so cute! Nyaah!" act was funny the first time, but doing it again & again eventually got annoying.
I hope they tone down her character a bit.
I wonder since she's so hyper-active, that they're gonna make her past super-uber tragic just for the sake of it.
She may be annoying but somehow i entertained with her stupidity & overacting attitude.The fact that Hinata giving her submission when she try to act cute (Yui-nyan~) or she provoking Hinata amuses me.
I'm also curios about her past though.I don't doubt they will make Yui story more tragic & dramatic than Yuri
Old 2010-04-25, 14:27   Link #116
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsubou-san View Post
If you borrow a few concepts from The Matrix (in particular, the ability of characters to download skills to add to their repertoire of logic-defying moves, as aptly demonstrated by Trinity's ability to fly a Huey), then I don't think it matters if Tenshi can or cannot physically play baseball...

The way Tenshi develops her combat skills (which she somehow does by preparing them on her Winding XO PC) is not that different from how programs are downloaded to Matrix characters after all...

"Homing modo." I was a little disappointed that Tenshi didn't bust out any sonic hax, but I did like her outfit.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
I think the only rule in the school is "Abandon Your Will". That's why most of the students act as if they are programmed to do certain things.
That's high school for you.

Last edited by KaneDragon; 2010-04-25 at 21:33.
Old 2010-04-25, 16:37   Link #117
OkamiNoKaze

You gotta have The Baseball episode, a rather liked it. Yeah I was expecting Tenchi to play as well, and bust out some cool movies, but oh well. It was pretty funny to watch, especially Otonashi, and the halberd guy (sorry still getting used to the names yet) batting the ball back and forth at each other. And Shiina was quite impressive and hilarious with the broom thing. I liked the new version of the Opening song. and the change up in the ending picture was hilarious.
Old 2010-04-25, 16:43   Link #118
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Way to go Yui! Having read parts of the prequel, I was quite shocked that Hinata's disappearance flag was triggered this early, so I was glad that Yui was there to stop it.

So, what we learned this ep:
  • There is a Student Council vice president. Is he human? NPC? (I believe the difference between humans and NPCs is that NPCs don't show any knowledge of the "strangeness" of the world, e.g. they don't know that people don't die when they are killed.)
  • Fulfilling major regrets/disappointments in your past life lead to disappearance.
  • Noda is probably the strongest batter in the SSS (backhanded home run wtf ).
  • Matsushita's loyalties lie with food.
  • Yui has NPC friends. This, together with the fact that the SSS members apparently don't know her (not to mention her devilish fashion), makes me question her origins. Is she human? NPC? How long has she been in the afterlife?

Also, I find Yusa (comm girl) to be quite interesting. I hope her character gets developed/explored soon.
Old 2010-04-25, 18:36   Link #119
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

Lol baseball episode. I recall they had a funny speech in Clannad with a baseball game.

It would be funny if Shiina tried to hug Yui
Old 2010-04-25, 18:39   Link #120
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Closed Thread

Tags
baseball