AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

View Poll Results: Durarara!! - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 31 31.96%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 29.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 15.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 12.37%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 7.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.03%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-26, 01:18   Link #41
zeth006

BTW, just wanted to say that I liked this anime. Definitely ranks up there along with Angel Beats and Hakuouki as one of the better anime for spring 2010 (Leaving out Naruto since it's not season-specific). A lot of other anime out there go through such complications in terms of plot flow and explanations for specific portions that it's easy to go over my head. This one flowed nicely together for the most part with the exception of the abrupt ending and loose ends that still need tying up.
Old 2010-06-26, 02:39   Link #42
blewin

I like the ending message. Something special has happened but you can also say nothing much has changed. And that's exactly what real life is like. Something extraordinary happens once a while but life returns to normal after that. yeah, something might have changed, but we'll have to adjust to it and keep on living.

Overall, I'm not sure how to take this anime. It all started good.... maybe the ending is just a bit convenient - Celty telling the three about their misunderstanding and everything gets solved.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2010-06-26, 05:19   Link #43
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
A few loose ends:

1. On more than one occasion, there was mention of an upcoming "war" that gets diverted. Izaya hints it's one of the conditions needed for the head to open its eyes...

2. The fortune cookies from the beginning

a. Shinra's: "Your love will never come true."
b. Celty's: "You will find what you seek."

It seemed clear to me Celty would eventually be reunited with her head. Her unexplained dreams and past memories would become clarified, like it or not.

Any chance a season 2 will clear this all up, or did the directors just decide to abruptly end this anime? Confused!!!!
Those are not really loose ends since novels are on-going. There is no way the anime could cover everything especially if some of those questions were still not answered in the novel.

In order to find replies just read novels. Or have help in season 2. Though if novels still will be on-going, season 2 probably also will have loose ends.

About episode... Wow... Izaya's and Simon's russian had improved! I was able to understand them 0_0
But seriously, how Simon can be considered Russian with such horrible accent?

Though their seiyu's do deserve compliments, it looks like all those people like Japanese, Arabics, Indians and so on have huge problems with russian. Their languages don't have soft sounds like russian. Hell, even english people are bad with Russian. I even stopped bothering to say my real name since no one can say it right.

But the english sub translations were off in a lot of places =/
konart translation was far more accurate.

About other things, loved the punch and Namie's laugh about it
And the slight Anri/Izaya action. Wish there was more but at least I finally saw Anri actually swing that sword and make some moves.
And Izaya is really scary one, with those brains and strengh...

Looks like Namie got tired of being a piece on the game board and decided to be a player too.

Am hoping for season 2 to be released one day.
Old 2010-06-26, 05:54   Link #44
Weils

Ep 25 OVA will be about Izaya's twin sisters (courtesy from wakaranai anime blog):

The Usual Suspects
Old 2010-06-26, 06:00   Link #45
kitten320

Isn't one episode not enough for something like that? 0_o

Or are they just going to make the introduction?
Old 2010-06-26, 06:07   Link #46
Iron Maw
Banned

Very well done conclusion, which frankly is rare for an anime nowadays. Enough got resolve and left opened for a second season. It's really impressive when series with such a large cast manages handle character development in a good manner.

Hightlights for me:

-Kadota and friends infiltrating the YS and pulling a "Big Damn Heroes" moment.
-Everyone finally airing out their "dirty-laundry".
-Shizuo's epic roadsign ownage followed by Kuzuhara showing up
-Pretty much the whole Anri and Izaya scene.
-Simon punching the crap out Izaya (I still love him even if he is an ass) and lecture in Russian.
-The entirety of the Masaomi and Saki scene.
-Shinra's "are you trying to seduce me scene?" He pretty much got the best ending. XD

So, yeah great show now get cracking on season 2 BB, and I will be off to read translations of the novels! >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weils View Post
Ep 25 OVA will be about Izaya's twin sisters (courtesy from wakaranai anime blog):

Really, now? Looking forward to that.
Old 2010-06-26, 10:41   Link #47
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Heiwajima Shizuo, Javelin Toss Champion 2010.

A really strong conclusion. Understandably, some things were left open-ended, but enough was fleshed out that I feel satisfied calling this a complete season, and it'd be one of the few anime that I liked enough to seriously want a second season when the novel process gets to that point.
Old 2010-06-26, 10:50   Link #48
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
About episode... Wow... Izaya's and Simon's russian had improved! I was able to understand them 0_0
I completely feel for the seiyuu though. Even after living here three years, I still get laughed at for my pronunciation...and they had what, a week maybe, to practice?

Quote:
The first sub was...well, could have been better. But do you know how the Russian compares with the Japanese sub?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-06-26, 11:04   Link #49
kitten320

Yeh me too...

Sadly no, I don't speak Japanese nor can I read it so I really can't compare them to actual russian speach.
Old 2010-06-26, 11:14   Link #50
Kafriel
Senior Guest

A nice final episode, but the loose ends are getting to me...
1) At the end of the day, Shingen wasn't used much as a character and Celty's quest was overshadowed by the gang wars.
2) Was expecting more out of Izaya...for a villain he sure gives up easily.
3) The fate of the Yellow Scarves was also left in the dark; with Kida gone and Horoda in jail, who's leading them?
Old 2010-06-26, 11:16   Link #51
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
3) The fate of the Yellow Scarves was also left in the dark; with Kida gone and Horoda in jail, who's leading them?
They were all either Horoda's lackeys or Dollar members, so no one I guess, because they never really existed this time.
Old 2010-06-26, 12:54   Link #52
Nvis
Where are the good animes

The Police Biker Dude got so little screen time, like wth?

Why bother adding him to the show and opening?

Even Shingen had more screen time than him.
Old 2010-06-26, 13:21   Link #53
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
The Police Biker Dude got so little screen time, like wth?

Why bother adding him to the show and opening?

Even Shingen had more screen time than him.
I agree than in retrospect, adding him to the OP didn't really make sense considering how minor his role was. I kept wondering when the hell he was going to show up... Even so, I have no problem with his addition to the show, since he was a rather fun character. I would have loved to see more of him.

They also added Kasuka in this opening, yet I don't think he even showed up once during the second half of the series.

& I'm really glad episode 25 will be focused on those two! I'm looking forward to it more than ever now.
Old 2010-06-26, 14:30   Link #54
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I think the cop had more scenes in the novels (not huge ones again but more) but I was really thrown by how Kasuka was in the OP and didn't have a single scene in the second part, maybe he'll be in 25 as well?
Old 2010-06-26, 14:35   Link #55
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I think the cop had more scenes in the novels (not huge ones again but more) but I was really thrown by how Kasuka was in the OP and didn't have a single scene in the second part, maybe he'll be in 25 as well?
I think the series just ended...
Old 2010-06-26, 14:37   Link #56
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Those are not really loose ends since novels are on-going. There is no way the anime could cover everything especially if some of those questions were still not answered in the novel.

In order to find replies just read novels. Or have help in season 2. Though if novels still will be on-going, season 2 probably also will have loose ends.

Though their seiyu's do deserve compliments, it looks like all those people like Japanese, Arabics, Indians and so on have huge problems with russian. Their languages don't have soft sounds like russian. Hell, even english people are bad with Russian. I even stopped bothering to say my real name since no one can say it right.

About other things, loved the punch and Namie's laugh about it
And the slight Anri/Izaya action. Wish there was more but at least I finally saw Anri actually swing that sword and make some moves.
And Izaya is really scary one, with those brains and strengh...

Looks like Namie got tired of being a piece on the game board and decided to be a player too.

Am hoping for season 2 to be released one day.

You're missing the point. Reread my comment. If the director isn't planning to continue the series with season 2, then yes, that's a loose end. A major plot hole that wasn't filled in the first season. You don't make prophecies or omens in fortune cookies that go unfulfilled unless the plot sequence is shown and life in the Durarara universe is shown to be completely randomized and impromptu.

I'm already aware that there's a novel series and no, the novel series isn't connected chronologically to the actual TV series as much as it's just a reference for the latter.
Old 2010-06-26, 17:42   Link #57
kitten320

Ghost Hunt, a good example of series that were not fully finished just like Durarara.

And Durarara loose ends are nothing in comparison to Angel Beats, so I really don't get the whole tragedy on this topic.
Old 2010-06-26, 18:38   Link #58
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
I think the series just ended...
Read the thread. This page will do.

Quote:
You're missing the point. Reread my comment. If the director isn't planning to continue the series with season 2, then yes, that's a loose end. A major plot hole that wasn't filled in the first season. You don't make prophecies or omens in fortune cookies that go unfulfilled unless the plot sequence is shown and life in the Durarara universe is shown to be completely randomized and impromptu.

I'm already aware that there's a novel series and no, the novel series isn't connected chronologically to the actual TV series as much as it's just a reference for the latter.
Huh...? The TV series is an adaptation of the novel series. I'd go so far as to call it an advertisement for the novel series - and interested viewers would just continue with the novels... Hence, they don't actually NEED to make a second season.

But why would they want to change/omit plot points that might make it impossible to have a second season? Plot points that might induce fans to seek out the novels? Sure, it's a loose end/plot hole for the anime...but seriously, whilst I'd like another season (or two), the Durarara universe isn't just the anime, so it's entirely possible for them to stop here if the rest of the novels are difficult to adapt.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-06-26, 21:50   Link #59
Altercation

Was really impressed with this episode of DRRR!!. I was a little disappointed by the lackluster battle against the Yellow Scarves, especially since the ending of episode 23 made me expect some serious ass-kicking courtesy of Celty and Anri... but that didn't really happen.

But then the chase scene and Shizuo's road sign axe of death and seeing Horoda and co way out of their league was just awesome, capped off with them bumping into Kinnosuke who promptly says 'don't mess with the traffic cops' and chases them. Then of course, Kida and Saki who look adorable with each other and, of course... the ending scene with Celty and Shinra. Too bad we didn't see Shingen at all.
Old 2010-06-26, 22:13   Link #60
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't shake the impression that the second of this series never caught fire like the first half did... There were great moments - the best in each of the last two eps involved Simon, surprisingly - but there was too much wasted energy. Too many characters (the cop, Shingen) who were introduced and really added nothing of significance. I know they're more fleshed out in the source material and maybe we'll see more of them if there's a S2. I still enjoyed the series a lot overall - several of the characters were truly great, and there was a majestic sort of arc to the overall plot. I just didn't love it as much as I would have guessed after about 10 or 12 episodes.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2010-06-27 at 13:16.
Closed Thread