AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-03-16, 05:43   Link #7341
MD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
TBF One Piece is kinda like that, though there is some aspects of hero dependence for the most part Luffy doesn't really give a shit as ultimately the second Luffy leaves they'd have to depend on themselves anyway, and his ultimate goal isn't to help people but to quite frankly do whatever the hell he wants. He's an antihero but he isn't an antihero thrust into the role of dependence like a hero, more an antihero that sometimes chooses to help people but doesn't feel like he has an obligation to do so. Heck he out right dislikes people that are overly dependent, as shown by his nicknames for Shirahoshi, and his treatment of Coby at the begining.
Yeah, Luffy is pretty adamant about the fact that he's a pirate, not a hero. "A hero would share the meat! I want to eat that meat!"

Medaka Box is hardly the first piece of fiction to deconstruct or mock a concept of stereotypical heroism. But it's one of the first that so blatantly mocks deus ex machinas, contrived coincidences, plot armor, etc.
MD84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 06:10   Link #7342
Sol Falling

Hahaha. Good stuff.

Zenkichi might have a point in telling people to man up. The Medaka Box does not exist to achieve people's dreams for them; it merely exists to remove the obstacles which might stop people from doing their best. 4266 requests over a ~6-8 month period is indeed pretty unbelievable. In the end, it's true that what Medaka wants most is to see people grow strong enough to stand on their own.

However, the end of the Medaka Box, and Medaka's mission to help others, might really be the end of this manga. Medaka has always said of herself that she is no-one special--that she is not always right, that she does not always win, that her achievements are a result of the countless things she has received from others. If people stop relying on Medaka, that is the end of Medaka as a main character.

Then the question which remains to be asked: would this constitute Ajimu's victory? The end of Medaka's mission to aid humanity. Her reduction to a normal girl. The individual growth of everyone else's happiness, such that Medaka is free to become happy (i.e. romanced by Zenkichi, :P) herself.

That it has come to this, of course, is a result of Ajimu's machinations. Now we have to question whether there is anything worth fighting against. By refusing to oppose Medaka, and frame herself as a villain, the end of the manga has come upon us. Now, only Medaka knows what Ajimu's really up to--but, with Devil Style's negation of the conveniences of the Main Character, and Medaka's defeat framed in the context of her own good, the window may have closed on her opportunity to even do anything.

The continuation of this manga itself now stands upon Medaka's desperate opposition to Ajimu's plans. The votes of the Hakoniwa students will determine her legitimacy. Hahaha, I damn well hope this isn't over.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 07:00   Link #7343
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
All eyes are on Medaka right now, but from her speech you can tell she really didn't have time. It seems like whatever Anshin'in-san is planning really has her rushing a bit, as her speech mainly consisted of "I can't really explain all the details to your guys, but I HAVE TO WIN, so I'm just gonna remind you guys what I'm all about". Next chapter is gonna be a big one.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 08:52   Link #7344
ShiroiRyu

Two last chapter before ending.
I think ... But that was a fucking good speech.
Old 2012-03-16, 09:26   Link #7345
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so yeah i marathon this quickly. so far i am on ch.90. there is several question.

i dont understand the whole "minus" thing and "Book Maker"?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 13:39   Link #7346
Last Carpet

So Devil Style erases any and all chance of coincidence.

At first thought, I'd expect Medaka to win again. But thinking about it, his new Abnormality basically destroys every chance that an MC would have to win at something. He just might pull this off.

I say "might" because there's still at least one wrench that can be thrown into this. His name is Misogi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizent View Post
Logically, shouldn't Medaka still win the election? If Devil Style eliminates One in a Million Chances and miraculous ass pulls, then aren't Zen and the Candidates' chances close to nil? Yeah Medaka's speech kinda sucked, but so did everyone else's. And she'll still have a higher popularity, considering the fact that she's already served with flying colors her first term and she's like, fucking perfect.

I don't get it. What's Ajimu banking on for Zen to win? Or is she even expecting him to win anyways?
I think this was touched on in chapter 128. In the last election, Medaka got 98% of the vote, but only half of the student body actually bothered to vote. So she got 98% of 50% of the school, or 49% in all.

Most of her votes came from the Specials of Class 10-12. She can't identify with the Normals, she's much to similar to the Abnormals in Class 13 to get their full approval, and Class -13 would obviously hate her for being elite personified.

And even then, some students voted for Medaka for the same reason Shiranui, who hates Medaka's guts, did. Because Zenkichi was helping her with the election. And now he's on his own.

Things are more in his favor than he even knows.
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 14:31   Link #7347
suikostar

Dam i am really sad things are turning this way( i mean the story about it ending in 1-2 more chapter)... i have read a lot of mangas and such a way of rushin mangas to end them have not experienced in any be4, even though this manga has a great potential.

About Zenkichi wining this, i dont really believe it is gonna happen...even though goin logicaly he has the most chances. One thing is a mystery of course and that is why Medaka HAS TO WIN this election.

Another thing i find interesting is in calling Zenkichi a "zero".

0x(+) = 0
0x(-) = 0 ...etc , well like i said its just interesting, dunno if it really has a biger meaning.
suikostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 14:43   Link #7348
17Sevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
i dont understand the whole "minus" thing and "Book Maker"?
Minuses are people with supernatural powers that were created from living in terrible circumstances.

Book Maker is Kumagawa's Minus power. It turns another person into an exact copy of the user (Kumagawa, in this case) in regards to body, spirit, technique, intellect, and talent. Since Kumagawa is so weak, this means the person he uses it on becomes really weak, too.

Book Maker was traded by Kumagawa for anothe Minus power, All-Fiction (turning things into nothing), which is what he's been up until where you are now.

Hope that helps.
17Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 14:49   Link #7349
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so abnormal talent is gifted so minus is artificial talent?

Old 2012-03-16, 15:34   Link #7350
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by suikostar View Post
Dam i am really sad things are turning this way( i mean the story about it ending in 1-2 more chapter)... i have read a lot of mangas and such a way of rushin mangas to end them have not experienced in any be4, even though this manga has a great potential.

About Zenkichi wining this, i dont really believe it is gonna happen...even though goin logicaly he has the most chances. One thing is a mystery of course and that is why Medaka HAS TO WIN this election.

Another thing i find interesting is in calling Zenkichi a "zero".

0x(+) = 0
0x(-) = 0 ...etc , well like i said its just interesting, dunno if it really has a biger meaning.
Forgive if me I am wrong but isn't any number divided by zero is undefined?

I know:

0 + 0 = 0

0 - 0 = 0

0 x 0 = 0

0 / 0 = undefined (?)

Old 2012-03-16, 15:50   Link #7351
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

lol at second popularity contest

Old 2012-03-16, 17:20   Link #7352
SockMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
So Devil Style erases any and all chance of coincidence.

At first thought, I'd expect Medaka to win again. But thinking about it, his new Abnormality basically destroys every chance that an MC would have to win at something. He just might pull this off.

I say "might" because there's still at least one wrench that can be thrown into this. His name is Misogi.
I was thinking this too, but Misogi may actually have a similar problem as Medaka. Though it may not be in the "last minute save" or hero way, Misogi's constant troll-ness that everyone loves tends to be a string of absurd coincidences itself.

Aijimu admitted pretty much that Devil Style has already had an effect. She mentioned that, without Zen's ability, the student performance would have been interrupted by an "old enemy" or something. We know that sharp teeth idol had a rivalry with Misogi and Misogi never just waltz in for a fight. We waited for it and yet it never happened despite Misogi being pretty constant at being around to cause mayhem.

Misogi has the same kind of coincidences as a villain, there is always an excuse for him not to be dead and he is always just "happen" to have a backup plan. Zen's skill pretty much calls that BS and gets rid of it. Misogi's ability to be that wrench in the machine may become completely irrelevant in this case.

What really scares me is the " when all is lost, you won't come up with a strategy to turn the tables" line. This mean if we are against the wire (which we most likely are), there isn't really anything anyone can do about in less Zen can control his ability some how (which doesn't seem to be the case).
SockMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 17:25   Link #7353
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

phew finally caught up.

138 is quite interesting.

and what this with ending talk?

Old 2012-03-16, 17:53   Link #7354
suikostar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Forgive if me I am wrong but isn't any number divided by zero is undefined?

I know:

0 + 0 = 0

0 - 0 = 0

0 x 0 = 0

0 / 0 = undefined (?)

hehe well yea, but i guess u didnt understand what i wanted to say xD...but in this situation u got only 1 zero zenchan ... and well some1 was mentioning that with zens ability even minuses could win against him, which means they become the "same", he negates the minus, and some works with the plus.... thats actually what i was aiming for
suikostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 19:26   Link #7355
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
and what this with ending talk?
Medaka Box is ending in two or three chapters.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 19:40   Link #7356
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Medaka Box is ending in two or three chapters.
is that confirm or are we still guessing?
Old 2012-03-16, 19:41   Link #7357
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Just a guess, based on what Ajimu said, but it sure feels like it's leading up to an ending.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 20:52   Link #7358
Franckie

So "Devil Style" is an ability designed to nullify coincidence. As Ajimu points out, it is the opposite ideal of the conventional main character, but within the context of the story I'd imagine the skill would lead to a "Bizarro World" of the setting. Already several "miracles" have occured, presumeably a by-product of the skill. The skill is also double-edged: It bestows the ability to screw with the "wins"/"losses" that Pluses/Minuses possess, but at a great personal cost to Zenkichi. I imagine the author will play around with what the skill can and cannot do.

I imagine the most blatant cost will be Devil Style instigates unintended repercussions. For example, Zenkichi wins the election, but loses the girl. Right now we're in a "love comedy", and as we all know the male lead always gets the gal he wants, except Zenkichi's skill might interfere with that trend. Nisio has suggested on several occasions trouble abrewing between pairing Zenkichi and Medaka together. History is rhyming with itself with the events that occured 3 years ago. We might found out what caused the fallout between the two three years ago during Middle School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
In other word Ajimu can finally defeat Medaka?
Probably not. Devil Style allows Zenkichi to nullify "plot armor", but that ability is not necessarily granted to other characters. Right now Ajimu is still limited to tying with Medaka in a fight at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Still guessing. Announcements are usually made several weeks in advance prior to ending a series (e.g. Negima, Fullmetal Alchemist, Mx0, Psyren, etc.). I would assume the author is trolling until proven otherwise, especially since Nisio doesn't have full-say over Medaka Box. I don't know how Nisio could (1) have Zenkichi win the election, (2) goad the Not-Equals into a fight, and (3) convince them to give up the Flask Plan within the span of two chapters. The author would have to pull a stunt like Negima's author did and resolve everything off-screen, which is a crappy way to the end the series.

I feel that the "countdown" is leading towards a break-up between Zenkichi and Medaka. Also, Medaka as we know her will cease to exist once the election is over, hence the "nightmare" talk characters have been alluding to every now and then.
Franckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 21:47   Link #7359
sungreentakeo

All this talk about change reminded me, when did we get our romantic comedy genre change. Ajimu promised us that, but I haven't really seen any romance and I haven't seen any romantic comedy. Let's assume what Ajimu and Zenkichi seem to be aiming for pans out.

Zenkichi wins -> gets rid of Medaka box -> Romantic comedy begins

Where exactly do these hints in the manga of a 'nightmare' or even Medaka doing a face->heel change fit in? If Medaka goes 'evil' somehow, I don't see how 'romancing the Medaka' is going to work out for Zenkichi.

And Medaka doing a 180 doesn't make much sense either. Why would she do that?

Or let's say that Medaka dies or Zenkichi dies, that wouldn't work out either would it?

If this current arc was supposed to be the romantic comedy, I feel a bit shortchanged. This was more like a 'social battle' arc. The relationship development between Medaka and Zenkichi was 0. The developments between Zenkichi and Hansode or Emukae was 0. The developments between Medaka and ANYONE was 0, maybe even less than 0 since she demonstrated her current immunity to meaningful romantic love. For the most part she's been ignoring Zenkichi and her real attention has been focused on Ajimu.

But I guess that's why Zenkichi needs Medaka to change. How could the manga end with things still unresolved between Zenkichi and Medaka? And Ajimu is hinting, very strongly, that this isn't the end but the beginning; she's creating a new world with Zenkichi as the main character.I want to see that new world. If the manga 'ends', is it just going to change its name to 'Zenkichi's Revolution' or 'Ajimu's Brave New World' or something and continue somewhere else?

This feels more like a beginning than an end.

Well, it feels like one era is ending and a new one is starting.
sungreentakeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 22:11   Link #7360
sungreentakeo

Ok, I'm going to go through a little thought experiment here assuming that this is the transition of a 'Medaka Box' era to some sort of 'Zenkichi X' era.

First, Medaka was the main character of the Medaka Box era. Well, a main character needs a conflict. Her conflict is her 'fight' against the people that make requests of her, which forces her to become stronger and stronger and more and more perfect over time in order to fulfill her life's purpose of 'helping complete strangers'.

Ok, so we have an era switch. Now, Zenkichi is the main character, but a main character needs a conflict. Well, his motivation is Medaka, so it seems like whatever his conflict would be would center around Medaka. But in order to have a conflict, there has to be some challenge to overcome. He might also have some conflict over uniting everyone or helping other people to become self-reliant. He might just simply have the conflict of resolving his romantic difficulties in general, even if he doesn't end up with Medaka.

But if Medaka is central to Zenkichi's conflict, it actually makes sense for something dramatic to happen to/with Medaka at the beginning of the 'Zenkichi X' era. Medaka has to present some difficult challenge that Zenkichi has to overcome, or else he won't have anything to do as a main character. If she's central to the conflict, Medaka or something she's involved in has to help create it.

Right now, I think Medaka is immune to romantic love yet might be surprisingly easy to start a relationship with. She practically offered to become Miyakonojou's girlfriend or wife during the sports event as if it was less important than deciding which cereal to eat in the morning. I don't think that she's in love with Miyakonoujou, but I don't think she cares either. It's like she just doesn't get it; probably since she's never been attracted to or in love with anyone period. So, she's surprisingly easy. Since Zenkichi is actually in love with her and sees her as a 'woman', if he confessed to her in her current state, I'm sure she'd go for it. But it'd be a hollow and almost meaningless victory. Medaka would be Zenkichi's girlfriend or wife, but she'd wouldn't be in love with him at all. In fact, she'd generally treat him like she does now, which we've all agreed is a problem in itself. Medaka has to change not only to make the conflict more difficult, but also so that its resolution can be meaningful.

Something has to happen that changes Medaka enough so that the doors are open to her actually falling in love, while at the same time creating a difficult conflict where Zenkichi has to fight a series of risky battles or overcome a trial of challenges to resolve...

Last edited by sungreentakeo; 2012-03-17 at 00:03.
sungreentakeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council