AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-16, 22:44   Link #41
shinn_asagiri
HEY MAN!!!

what im w8ing 4 is a us-ver. of the game
Old 2007-01-17, 02:50   Link #42
bobmarleypeople
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinn_asagiri View Post
what im w8ing 4 is a us-ver. of the game
Not gonna happen. No way. There's not enough of a market to justify releasing the game overseas. As for the animé, well it may be possible if we hope and pray.
Old 2007-01-17, 08:14   Link #43
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
I'm starting to wonder whether Kadokawa might just release Shuffle! under their own power in the States - or in a deal similar to what's going to happen with Suzumiya Haruhi; namely that Kadokowa remains the license holder but they have Bandai or another US company handle the distribution. This kind of makes sense to my semi-asleep brain at the moment, particularly as it's already happening now with the aforementioned Haruhi.

An interesting line of speculation, perhaps.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-01-19, 22:06   Link #44
Mr_Geefunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxon View Post
Nope. You'll have to download a patch that translates the game for you.
Where can one find said patch? I have looked around and the only one I can find is this same patch the only puts the first day in English. Is your patch the whole game or part?
Old 2007-01-20, 00:49   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They've been working on the patch (the people who released the beta test you found).... but apparently real life or herds of vampiric hamsters keep interfering with them finishing. They haven't said they've dropped it though and the founder seems to be diligent.
Old 2007-01-20, 09:30   Link #46
shinn_asagiri
HEY MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarleypeople View Post
Not gonna happen. No way. There's not enough of a market to justify releasing the game overseas. As for the animé, well it may be possible if we hope and pray.
yeah, i understand what you mean, it worked with S15 Silvias (A sportscar made by nissan that was supposed to, but never been released) in the states.

hey! were roomies! (see my location)
Old 2007-01-25, 13:16   Link #47
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, the Official Announcement is finally up (though it was leaked two days ago). First DVD by Funimation coming this Summer.
Old 2007-01-25, 13:31   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm amazed.... Funimation is certainly picking up the pace with "unusual" purchases. Maybe I should send them my "want list".... (where the hell is Mahoraba????!!!)
Old 2007-01-25, 16:26   Link #49
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinn_asagiri View Post
yeah, i understand what you mean, it worked with S15 Silvias (A sportscar made by nissan that was supposed to, but never been released) in the states.

hey! were roomies! (see my location)
Don't get me started on the awesomeness (but a bit overrated) that is the S15 Silvia...or the Big Bro of Nissans, the (godly) (BN)R34 Skyline GT-R. Then again (usually emission) laws made it practically tough to bring in these cars, and there is demand for it (in the older R32 and R33 generations) before all the GT2 and FnF generation of people.

Well, the Funimation announcement certainly surprised a lot of people.
Old 2007-01-25, 16:27   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm still beating my head on the assigned wall... (let me grasp this... they haven't licensed Mahoraba: Heartful Days.... or Lamune.... or any Key stuff (though we know why in the last case)

yet..... Shuffle! gets picked up? ..... ow, my head hurts for more than one reason. Actually, given the clear asset salvaging in progress... meh. Even Magikano would have made more sense
I guess they'll play up the sci-fi/fantasy angle...
Old 2007-01-25, 16:51   Link #51
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Re-reply to reflect magical post-moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm still beating my head on the assigned wall... (let me grasp this... they haven't licensed Mahoraba: Heartful Days.... or Lamune.... or any Key stuff (though we know why in the last case)

yet..... Shuffle! gets picked up? ..... ow, my head hurts for more than one reason.
Well, I don't find it all that shocking. Shuffle has a strong/rabid fan following (like Kiminozo/Rumbling Hearts), and isn't as expensive as the Key stuff. Mahoraba and Lamune just weren't as popular, despite being great shows. There've been a lot of shows released in R1 over the years that have been marketed largely on character designs (i.e. cute girls), so I don't think it's much of a stretch for the market. It probably won't be a best-seller, but it should do just fine.
Old 2007-01-25, 16:51   Link #52
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, the Official Announcement is finally up (though it was leaked two days ago). First DVD by Funimation coming this Summer.
About damn time! Speaking of which...

...where's Da Capo?!!!
Old 2007-01-25, 16:59   Link #53
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx

yet..... Shuffle! gets picked up? ..... ow, my head hurts for more than one reason. Actually, given the clear asset salvaging in progress... meh. Even Magikano would have made more sense
I guess they'll play up the sci-fi/fantasy angle...
I understand the license (I guess). It's really remarkably similar to the decision behind licensing KGNE. In the current licensing climate it's better to license a low-reward/low-risk/low cost show like Shuffle than something by (say) KyoAni unless it's going to be a surefire hit (like FMP). Since the upper level of the North American market for Kanon (or AIR) is not enough higher than Shuffle or KGNE or Green Green to justify licensing it, they simply stick to the shows that cost less to license. That part all makes sense to me actually.

The Mahoroba thing kind of makes sense - it's tied to a manga that's never been released in the U.S. and was sort of a niche show even in fansub territory. People who like it like it a lot, but lots of people simply don't watch it. In order for Mahoroba to come over, I think someone has to take a chance on the (assumedly) cheaper manga license first.

I guess I'm mostly surprised because Funi has a long history with GONZO and they haven't licensed Welcome to the NHK yet. NHK seems more like a succesful R1 release than Shuffle will be since it has a succesful studio name behind it, has a manga that is already being released in the US, and isn't in a genre that has such a low ceiling. It's not really that I'm surprised that Funi licensed Shuffle (they've already licensed KGNE), but that it was a centerpiece of their 2007 Kickoff campaign. It seems like a throw-in sort of license. Another one I was expecting to be announced was the xxxHOLiC anime which (as far as I know) hasn't been officially announced yet either (except for the same C&D that Suzuka was in). I feel like the bigger news was that they've finally scheduled Tsubasa Chronicles, honestly.

EDIT: Crap, relentless beat me to it.

EDIT 2:
Quote:
First DVD by Funimation coming this Summer.
I wouldn't take their "Summer" too seriously. First DVD's of School Rumble were supposed to be up "at the beginning of 2007", and none have been scheduled yet.
Old 2007-01-25, 17:02   Link #54
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxon View Post
About damn time! Speaking of which...

...where's Da Capo?!!!
That's definitely less likely to happen than Shuffle ever was, needless to say. Primary difference being how rabid the fanbase is; not that they're marketing primarily to fansub fans, but it's not a bad indicator in this case of how widespread of appeal a show's able to get cross-genre. Despite being a best-selling game series in Japan (and having above-average anime sales too), Da Capo just won't ever be as popular in North America as Shuffle was, so if it ever does get licensed, it may not be for a while yet. Shuffle just clicked with people more.
Old 2007-01-25, 17:04   Link #55
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
Quote:
That's definitely less likely to happen than Shuffle ever was, needless to say. Primary difference being how rabid the fanbase is; not that they're marketing primarily to fansub fans, but it's not a bad indicator in this case of how widespread of appeal a show's able to get cross-genre. Despite being a best-seller, Da Capo just won't ever be as popular in North America as Shuffle was, so if it ever does get licensed, it may not be for a while yet. Shuffle just clicked with people more.
I thought as much.

Seeing as it's summer 2007, I guess us Brits won't get it until 2008.
Old 2007-01-25, 17:09   Link #56
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Sorry (I like DC and DCSS too). From what I've seen, licenses that appear to be mostly based on fansub popularity have to be at least as popular as Shuffle (or Girls Bravo). Some things get licensed irregardless of fansub popularity, but for the things that are licensed on it, Shuffle/KGNE levels of fandom seem to be the floor. (This also explains why Lamune is not likely to get licensed).
Old 2007-01-25, 17:19   Link #57
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
So after Shuffle being licensed here's my question: will they use the footage from the original DVD - what I mean is those 'famouse' cut/edited/censored scenes ^^'

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Old 2007-01-25, 17:20   Link #58
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Sorry (I like DC and DCSS too). From what I've seen, licenses that appear to be mostly based on fansub popularity have to be at least as popular as Shuffle (or Girls Bravo). Some things get licensed irregardless of fansub popularity, but for the things that are licensed on it, Shuffle/KGNE levels of fandom seem to be the floor. (This also explains why Lamune is not likely to get licensed).
Yup, I pretty much agree with that. That being said, if Kiminozo and Shuffle do well in R1, then it would certainly bode well for other shows in the genre being brought over. We already know that Circus has been trying to raise interest in Da Capo, for instance, but the time and market isn't quite ready yet. Gotta take the long-term view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeke View Post
So after Shuffle being licensed here's my question: will they use the footage from the original DVD - what I mean is those 'famouse' cut/edited/censored scenes ^^'
Almost definitely. It's not like there was a whole lot of difference anyway, but it's pretty rare for shows like these not to get the DVD version.
Old 2007-01-25, 17:24   Link #59
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeke View Post
No way to know without seeing the license (which we'll never get to see). Usually they use DVD footage (because it's usually better quality).
Quote:
Yup, I pretty much agree with that. That being said, if Kiminozo and Shuffle do well in R1, then it would certainly bode well for other shows in the genre being brought over. We already know that Circus has been trying to raise interest in Da Capo, for instance, but the time and market isn't quite ready yet.
Long term it's possible, but with (seemingly) billions of anime series being released each year, I imagine it's licensing chances are getting slimmer and slimmer as time goes on.

Another neat license would be ARIA - it's MFI so I doubt it's really "cheap", but it can't possibly be in the KyoAni range either.
Old 2007-01-25, 18:07   Link #60
-Breakthrough-

E-gaspz~!! *Goes Crimson Chin Mode dropping jaws*

Man, at the same time, I saw this coming but still shocked, never thought Funi would decide to pick it up.
Closed Thread