AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-06, 10:26   Link #21
Destined_Fate

It's pretty much a reboot. If this game does well it "will" get a sequel(That will faithfully follow this Lara and not Big Boobs Old Lara) that will be for this age of gamers and disregard the old canon. This isn't a bad thing considering the story of the old Tomb Raider games all sucked anyway, so nothing lost there.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 12:30   Link #22
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

The voice acting in the graphics look great but, I hope she covers up more once you start shooting people. Her cleavage shots aren't to save a bullet to the chest.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:42   Link #23
Destined_Fate

Which the trailer shows when one of the bad guys notices her cleavage and how hot she is and tries to rape her... Luckily she kills him. Would be horrible if they made that part interactable and allowed you to fail at it.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 13:08   Link #24
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Looking at all the trailers & gameplay , Lara Croft is definitely a masochist

Last edited by -Sho-; 2012-06-07 at 06:01.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 20:07   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It was quite a compelling cinematic but yeah... why do we have to have *another* Lara Croft? Create a new name at least...?
Old 2012-06-19, 20:17   Link #26
GrimJack

This may be the first tomb raider game I do not purchase and I am so big a fan I played Angel of Darkness twice
Old 2012-12-29, 23:18   Link #27
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Personally, I think this is the first Tomb Raider game that sparks my interest in any way.

Looking real good, and I do hope it does well, so they can expand to more locales, as the one knock I have on it so far-based on what I've seen-is the limited environment this game is set in. Glad to see it dropped the attempt at a Teen rating and got Mature instead.

Far more recent trailer. Also, I think 2012 probably doesn't belong in the title of this thread.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And, IGN plays an hour of the game and puts it on youtube (I didn't watch it; don't want to spoil myself for the game beyond whatever is shown in trailers):

YouTube

Lastly, pre-ordering the game gives you the Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt app, which lets you unlock dlc, while giving you a shot at winning real world prizes (trip to Fiji, etc):

YouTube
More details at: http://na.square-enix.com/tombraider...scavenger_hunt

Am I the only one, after Deus Ex, that thinks SE is doing a far better job with their western games division than they are with their FF franchise these days? Maybe they should stop trying to develop games in house and concentrate on just publishing them.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-12-29 at 23:41.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 00:53   Link #28
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Personally, I think this is the first Tomb Raider game that sparks my interest in any way.

Looking real good, and I do hope it does well, so they can expand to more locales, as the one knock I have on it so far-based on what I've seen-is the limited environment this game is set in. Glad to see it dropped the attempt at a Teen rating and got Mature instead.

Far more recent trailer. Also, I think 2012 probably doesn't belong in the title of this thread.
YouTube

And, IGN plays an hour of the game and puts it on youtube (I didn't watch it; don't want to spoil myself for the game beyond whatever is shown in trailers):

YouTube

Lastly, pre-ordering the game gives you the Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt app, which lets you unlock dlc, while giving you a shot at winning real world prizes (trip to Fiji, etc):

YouTube
More details at: http://na.square-enix.com/tombraider...scavenger_hunt

Am I the only one, after Deus Ex, that thinks SE is doing a far better job with their western games division than they are with their FF franchise these days? Maybe they should stop trying to develop games in house and concentrate on just publishing them.
You're not the only one. However I did hear that XIII-2 was pretty good.
Old 2012-12-30, 22:27   Link #29
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I am actually looking forward to this a bit. Looks pretty good. I haven't played a TR game since... a long time. Can't even remember the last one I bought.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 00:11   Link #30
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It was quite a compelling cinematic but yeah... why do we have to have *another* Lara Croft? Create a new name at least...?
Considering there's really nothing connecting this to the other Tomb Raider games other than the female protagonist being named Lara Croft, it might as well just be a whole new IP.

It would be better if it was a whole new IP.
Old 2012-12-31, 00:51   Link #31
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... didn't they reboot the bloody franchise once already?
Old 2012-12-31, 04:00   Link #32
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... didn't they reboot the bloody franchise once already?
Not really a reboot. Those games were set in the same universe as the original games, and were essentially indie-level games made with small budgets. An analogy would be like how Dungeon Siege III compared to the previous two games. Continued on the series, but with a far lower-budget game.

Interestingly enough, they were done by Crystal Dynamics (who's making this game), and it appears they did well enough to allow this full-fledged reboot, which actually appears to be a AAA title this time around, as opposed to the small-budget affairs the games since 2006 were. This is essentially starting a different metaverse, similar to how Gundam has different universes for its shows.

There hasn't been what would be considered a AAA title in the series since 2003, and one could argue on whether even that last game or two was AAA. So, it'll have been 10 years since Lara Croft was in a "real" video game.

I have to say, I'm really liking this iteration of Lara. I don't know why there's so much hatred over it not being a new IP. But, there are people, I'm sure, who hate the Nolan Batman movies too. Gamers (well, people) are such a temperamental bunch.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-12-31, 08:18   Link #33
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
You're not the only one. However I did hear that XIII-2 was pretty good.
Hahahaha, Where did you hear that? I heard it's garbage, even from FFXIII fans.
Old 2012-12-31, 18:31   Link #34
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
It was a hell of a lot better for FFXIII that much is certain.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 12:26   Link #35
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

The last Final Fantasy game I played that I enjoyed was Dissidia. Type-0 looks interesting at least. That is if they ever bring it stateside. Does anyone know what the status of Versus XIII is?
Old 2013-02-26, 21:14   Link #36
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The reviews have been pouring out, and it's getting generally favorable ones.

Currently an 86 on Metacritic. The low scores (currently 2 out of 35) are all from sites/publications I've never heard of, if that makes any difference.

Generally, reviews find it to be a very well-written story with very polished gameplay, with negatives being the multiplayer.

Numerous reviews make the claim that it's the rare reboot that's superior to its predecessors.

Reviews seem roughly split on it either being on par with Uncharted or topping it.

Personally, I really don't care about multiplayer for a game like this, and I'm glad to hear the story is great.

Latest video highlighting survival combat:

YouTube

And the two trailers that came out prior to the "Survival" trailer:

Turning Point:

YouTube

Crossroads:

YouTube

And, 11 minutes of gameplay:

YouTube

There are also people who have their hands on copies already (bad! ) and have started posting youtube videos of their play through. Easy enough to find on youtube if you want.

Can't wait 'till March 5.

Between this, and seeing if Bioware is giving us another fail DLC for ME 3.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-02-26 at 22:16.
Old 2013-02-26, 22:32   Link #37
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I admit, I was skeptical before this game is released. But now, I’m glad to hear that this reboot works (even better than the previous games). Well, it’s refreshing to hear good news coming from an old game franchise after so much flak FF got in its recent outings.
Old 2013-02-26, 23:57   Link #38
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

If you really want this game, don't watch this review..

Old 2013-02-27, 01:59   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I figured on waiting for a sale anyway ... a game that might be mediocre for $60 might be a wonderful investment for $40 later. Sounds like they could have spent more time looking at Skyrim or Borderlands and less time with the old 2D scrollers.
Old 2013-02-27, 02:11   Link #40
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The only thing I missed about Lara Croft during the PS1 era is her gigantic torpedoes.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote