AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-03-12, 19:29   Link #101
sixpercent
Nihon Otaku

Send a message via AIM to sixpercent
I was prrtty pissed of that the oro saru part didnt end AGAIN. And i dont care about the other fights. I just want naruto to catch up to sasuke.
sixpercent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 20:37   Link #102
CommS007

Oro Saru part should end when all other fights end!
CommS007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 21:13   Link #103
zillford
Wandering/Rambling Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragnous
Naruto is like today's Dragon Ball, but Goku grows in DB, i hope Naruto grows. He's cool but he's like 12....come on 12!! I want him at 21 and kick some ass!!!
y'know, it's funny, 'cause I was just expressing the opposite feeling to a friend the other day.

I feel that while more time passes in DBZ, less changes, and most changes are arbitrary.

I'm not as enthusiastic of an anime fanboy as I used to be (I really just don't have the time.) but it takes alot to get me interested in a show (much less a long running series). I'm constantly amazed at the depth of Naruto's characters, as well as how they gain maturity as it progresses. I find that this is the only 'growth' that appeals to me in a story. I really don't feel I'd care if Naruto never aged significantly, as long as nothing stayed stagnant in the progression of story.

I think another aspect that puts Naruto FAR above DBZ in my mind is that all the young main characters started with large glaring flaws. I've never seen a "power-story" do this before, as the main draw of said stories is to give viewers a character that they can imagine themselves as, one who is "better" than they are(stronger is usually the case, as well as good looking, smarter, etc.).

but here, we have a main character that starts out as unlikeable, and not in the "oh, cool, he's a rebel who people secretly like" way. he's untalented, he's a jerk, he has no parents, no friends. of course, if he stayed that way FOREVER then the draw would wear out, of course, but Kishimoto doesn't just pull the switch immediately. Naruto has matured, but he's still not very popular, and he's still an incourragable ass. for the first time I'VE ever seen, we have a main character who's only appealing aspect viewers can power-identify with is that he WANT'S to improve.

now, granted, Naruto is still a fantasy-ninja, one of the top power-identity characters ever, and yes, he can kick some ass, has cool hair, etc. and all the aspects that draw power-ident fans. but to me it feels less blatant, and shows more skill in letting the plot do the drawing, not just the giant fireballs.

another aspect of Naruto that outshines DBZ (and contemporaries) in my eyes, is that, on the power-ident side of my enjoyment (which I would never deny, it's REALLY what draws all of us, psychilogically speaking), Naruto manages to keep power gaining non-arbitrary.
in DBZ, the measure of power is simplified enough that all the characters have 'power levels' (DBZ would make a GREAT archetype for power-stories, usurping even the progenators of the genre like Superman et al). this is an arbitrary level, as characters appear to be able to improve this through any matter of super human exercise routines (sit ups in 100x gravity lets you throw fireballs... ok...)
the arbitration is compounded by the levels showing very little consistancy (what seemed like an impossible improvement for the strongest character in one episode is later matched by all the rest of the characters), and furthermore, far too many cases of what I'd call 'negative reaffirming instance' where the power levels are "impossible" "how could this be in such a short time?" etc. (this "NRI" is seen in countless anime, Naruto included. it's a very easy method to add suspense, and later elation/disbelief, when the statement is not only disproven, but usually by a GREAT measure).

now in Naruto we see a much slower improvement, as well as a good seperation of improvement by all of the main characters. the most enjoyable aspect, however, is that for the most part the improvement seems to be directly associated with HOW they try to improve. not only is the Chakra theme well described (I'm not sure, but does DBZ ever explain why people can throw fireballs?) but whenever a character's improvement is put to the test (i.e. big fight) they show direct refference to their training. the easiest example is the 'chakra to the feet to climb trees' training. I believe that all three members of team 7 have made direct use and reference to that training.

the curious thing is that I'm really not sure how Kishimoto will be able to continue this. let me set it up:

the Hokage and the Jounin/teachers were the baseline for ability (as we assume they aren't improving by any large measure at the time) which was far above the trainees. all fine and good, but NOW we have Oro
Spoiler:
who appears to outclass all others (Hokage is fuxored, Kakashi was scared of him.)

now the only obvious ways that this could continue is:

A) Oro defeats Konoha, story ends.
B) one of the current characters gains enough power to defeat him
C) new characters are introduced

all three spell trouble for staying interesting, and not becoming overly DBZish (in the aforementioned ways). Oro winning would end the story (unless all the characters escaped, going into exile, drastically altering the setting/theme. actually not a bad idea, it would make Naruto darker, but would allow more growth). any of the current characters defeating Oro would have to be some sort of group effort, or, like with the Hokage, a last ditch self-destructive attack. too many new characters would stress the already loaded roster.

I'm slightly worried, but I'm VERY interested to see where Kishimoto is going with this. and isn't that the true hallmark of a good story?
zillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 21:43   Link #104
Coder8
CommanderBunBun

hehe zilford sorry for making such a small reply ;D but the job of kishimoto is to surprise you and i'm sure he will if you only watch the anime. Kishimoto has proven himself to be a adept story teller...wait and find out you wont be disappointed.
________
Buy no2 vaporizer

Last edited by Coder8; 2011-05-14 at 03:47.
Coder8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 21:56   Link #105
Dragon Flame
Wet Kimimaro Love

Send a message via ICQ to Dragon Flame
kakashi wasnt afraid of Itachi, Kakashi was afraid of Oro, damn near pissed his pants cuz of Oro, but he jumped right into a figh with Itachi, wasnt even scared
Old 2004-03-12, 22:28   Link #106
Hairydolphin

Send a message via AIM to Hairydolphin
Actually Kakashi was ready to fight Oro too, but only after Oro left did he come to his senses...
Hairydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 23:03   Link #107
zillford
Wandering/Rambling Artist

right, I meant Oro as that was out of my spoiler tag...

I guess talking about Itachi isn't a spoiler anymore? :P

:EDIT:
I think Kakashi's the kind of guy whos conditioned to fight first and second guess himself later. if he feels he needs to fight, I think he'd do it regardless of his opposition.

Coder, sorry my post got so damn long there... I hope you're right, I'd love to be a Naruto fan for as long as he makes it.

:EDIT:
since I don't follow the Manga I could be wrong, but hasn't the Oro storyline not finished yet? are there any characters that are a threat to him? (of course put any reply in a spoiler tag)

*also, I must apologize for not running my long post through a spellchecker. I normally do that for any extensive posts, but I was running short on time*

Last edited by zillford; 2004-03-12 at 23:23.
zillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 23:29   Link #108
ma1nstream

Send a message via AIM to ma1nstream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Flame
kakashi wasnt afraid of Itachi, Kakashi was afraid of Oro, damn near pissed his pants cuz of Oro, but he jumped right into a figh with Itachi, wasnt even scared
I personaly think the only reason that Kakashi was afraid of Orochimaru, was because if he Died, then oro would have Sasuke, and sasuke wouldn't even be able to run away(due to the seal process) Let alone fight

BUT! I have not read the manga as far as all you guys have, so I have NO clue on the situation with Itachi, just cant wait to see it animated! :P
ma1nstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-13, 14:41   Link #109
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Really nice episode. Just saw it. Shino's fight was really cool

I hope they animate more than 2 chapters next episode again. There's just 4 pages of 127 left to animate, and they can easily fit 128 and 129 in the same episode. Or at least animate the first 12 pages of chapter 129.

Spoiler:
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-13, 15:47   Link #110
Avi
HeNta| ArmY WinG-Comman.

Send a message via MSN to Avi Send a message via Yahoo to Avi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Really nice episode. Just saw it. Shino's fight was really cool

I hope they animate more than 2 chapters next episode again. There's just 4 pages of 127 left to animate, and they can easily fit 128 and 129 in the same episode. Or at least animate the first 12 pages of chapter 129.
Hopefully Theyll animate all of 128 n 129
Avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 00:24   Link #111
PathofNightshade
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Send a message via AIM to PathofNightshade
the anime is moving waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to slowly. just so so so slow... This is the rate i'd expect from a daily airing anime. Im getting sick of getting my hopes up for a whole week, only to be dissapointed by a couple drawn out scenes.
PathofNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 01:17   Link #112
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNightshade
the anime is moving waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to slowly. just so so so slow... This is the rate i'd expect from a daily airing anime. Im getting sick of getting my hopes up for a whole week, only to be dissapointed by a couple drawn out scenes.
Then stop watching it.
Old 2004-03-14, 11:08   Link #113
calvin

awesome

Welcome to me, this is my first post!

This episode was pretty cool, i loved the kankuro shino fight, and can't wait to next week.

Sasuke gaara ... rokkkk
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 13:18   Link #114
kaede

yeah it was a very good fight i like shino because he pretty cool
kaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 14:11   Link #115
GreyArea
Meatf***er

Quote:
Slow? In ep 74 you got an entire fight between two of the characters, and the start of another fight. Seriously, I wonder what the hell you expect from an episode. If things happened any quicker it would completely ruin the pacing of the story, and make it look like things were just being skimmed over.
GreyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 15:45   Link #116
PathofNightshade
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Send a message via AIM to PathofNightshade
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyArea
Slow? In ep 74 you got an entire fight between two of the characters, and the start of another fight. Seriously, I wonder what the hell you expect from an episode. If things happened any quicker it would completely ruin the pacing of the story, and make it look like things were just being skimmed over.
do you read the manga? I should think they would be able to turn 34 pages of manga (some of them being one frame) into less than one episode. I should think they would be able to incorparte at least 4 chapter's of the manga into an episode, without sacrificing quality.
PathofNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 17:32   Link #117
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Quote:
do you read the manga? I should think they would be able to turn 34 pages of manga (some of them being one frame) into less than one episode. I should think they would be able to incorparte at least 4 chapter's of the manga into an episode, without sacrificing quality.
Yeah, if you made it into a slideshow w/ a couple of seconds per frame instead of a motion picture..? Are you crazy? Fast motion then? That ruins the quality tho...
nh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 21:56   Link #118
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Edit: found a different thread to post this on.
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 22:58   Link #119
GreyArea
Meatf***er

Quote:
Yes, I do read the manga, and the pacing is exactly the same, just with a few extra scenes. Also, even if they wanted to put more into each episode, they couldnt, as the anime cannot catch up to the manga. It would be screwed if it did.
GreyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 01:16   Link #120
Merco
I like pie

Agreed, many previous animes went south because the anime caught up with the manga and they had to invent things which failed more often then not.
Merco is offline   Reply With Quote