AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-24, 19:38   Link #781
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep 8 thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 20:46   Link #782
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Spoiler for episode 8:
Old 2007-11-24, 20:50   Link #783
Sol Falling

so lonely...:P I'll be waiting for the subs, so I think I'll shut up for a couple days as I won't know what I'm talking about. I'll address the specific questions directed at me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't know... I still think this is a stretch. This has been the fundamental assumption for a good while now; that the people who feel sorry for Miyako want her to end up with Hiro in order to address that suffering, and that desire is neglecting what should be the objective consequences of her behaviour. I think that you (and you all) assume too much, or rather, too little of the viewers, and this leads to comments like "they aren't feeling good about the show" (I think everyone's feeling great!), and "you are actually forcing yourself to feel bad" (what?). This is an overly harsh statement (so forgive me in advance), but do you understand what it is to feel sympathy? Do you only feel sympathy when it's deserved? Feeling sympathy for one's situation and recognizing the consequences of their actions are not two mutually exclusive points of view.
Yeah, pretty much I only feel sympathy (pity) when it's deserved. I reserve empathy (understanding) for all other occasions. I very much empathize with Miyako. Sympathy would inspire one to help somebody, or at the least wish them the best (better than others). Empathy would inspire one to be more lenient in applying or desiring suffering when punishing or correcting a wrong. Oh, and I suppose you could say that I feel pity for Miyako if that pity would be directed at the fact that she is so misguided, as opposed to the fact that she is so sad. I've found that taking that attitude is a bit offensive in real life, though--"I feel so sorry for you that you're wrong."

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
For what reason, and to what end? Because you believe that Miyako's obsessive-compulsive behaviour demonstrated during her breakdown should trump the feeling of pity people feel for her? Your crusade, frankly, just doesn't make any sense. "You guys just want Miyako to win because the show forced you to feel sorry for her! She's an obsessive bitch, can't you guys see that?!" What's the connection? And more to the point, what are you advocating that we feel instead? Why does this bother you so much?
"You guys just want Miyako to win because the show forced you to feel sorry for her!" is correct. Rather than "she's an obsessive bitch", it's more like "every other character is just as deserving of your support." The connection is the antagonism towards Kei and the disinterest towards Renji and Chihiro. I can't think of any other widespread examples.

Of course, relentlessflame, you don't uphold either of these prejudices (I think). Which was why I qualified my "black and white" stance with the "those people" statement. I just feel much more comfortable addressing the audience I'm speaking to, since there really isn't a point in trying to convince people who more or less agree with you. The fact that you, who can see my perspective, are the one replying to me does in fact show that I'm "preaching to the choir", though.

In summary, the point I've been making with all my rants thus far was this: "You people who think that Miyako's story and happy ending are more important than Renji's, Chihiro's, Hirono's, or Kei's: I don't like you."

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2007-11-24 at 21:00.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 21:07   Link #784
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
I don't think there's a single person, at least not in this thread (and correct me if I'm wrong) who was saying the only thing they care for is Miyako being happy in the end, or that anyone would watch the show for that sole reason. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with feeling sympathy for Miyako since that's what the show tried to lead us to, and is doing a good job with it. And I think, or hope, that if people want Miyako to "win" (as much as I dislike that term for this kind of thing), it's because it's the most natural conclusion of a story that has symbolism and a buildup pointing that way.

As for which character is more deserving of the viewers' sympathy or support, that's up to each viewer, no? It depends on how much you like the character and how closely you can relate to their story, or which you feel is the most touching, or just who appeals to you the most. I don't really see absolutely any reason to love all the characters in the show equally.

But you're probably oversimplifying what the viewers think here. Of course, it'd be made much more clear if you actually told us which comments and who you're referring to specifically...

But I guess, to each his own.
Old 2007-11-24, 21:10   Link #785
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
I don't think there's a single person, at least not in this thread (and correct me if I'm wrong) who was saying the only thing they care for is Miyako being happy in the end, or that anyone would watch the show for that sole reason. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with feeling sympathy for Miyako since that's what the show tried to lead us to, and is doing a good job with it. And I think, or hope, that if people want Miyako to "win" (as much as I dislike that term for this kind of thing), it's because it's the most natural conclusion of a story that has symbolism and a buildup pointing that way.

But you're probably oversimplifying what the viewers think here. Of course, it'd be made much more clear if you actually told us which comments and who you're referring to specifically...

But I guess, to each his own.
Actually, I think I did say that Miyako was the only reason why I'm still watching this show. Lemme see if I can find it.

yep found it on page 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
Spoiler:
Old 2007-11-24, 21:14   Link #786
◕‿‿◕

Fair enough if Miyako's the one you love the most, but the rest of my point still stands.

There's no guideline saying that you have to find every story just as interesting or every character worthy of your sympathy. There just isn't.
Old 2007-11-24, 21:16   Link #787
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Fair enough if Miyako's the one you love the most, but the rest of my point still stands.

There's no guideline saying that you have to find every story just as interesting or every character worthy of your sympathy. There just isn't.
Oh of course not. Who's arguing otherwise?
Old 2007-11-24, 21:16   Link #788
Shana

Quote:
Actually, I think I did say that Miyako was the only reason why I'm still watching this show. Lemme see if I can find it.

yep found it on page 28
Then let me modify it to what I think it might be:

Quote:
Spoiler:
I myself am not a Kei-lover or something, but I think Miyako is just SO annonying. But meh, as I said to Klash in CLANNAD ep8's pool "It seems like if we can think the same."
Old 2007-11-24, 21:18   Link #789
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
Then let me modify it to what I think it might be:

I myself am not a Kei-lover or something, but I think Miyako is just SO annonying. But meh, as I said to Klash in CLANNAD ep8's pool "It seems like if we can think the same."
The heck? I'm not sure what you're doing there. That's fine if you like Chihiro and don't like Miyako. I don't see why you need to change my post though.
Old 2007-11-24, 21:18   Link #790
◕‿‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
(...)it's more like "every other character is just as deserving of your support." The connection is the antagonism towards Kei and the disinterest towards Renji and Chihiro. I can't think of any other widespread examples.

(...)"You people who think that Miyako's story and happy ending are more important than Renji's, Chihiro's, Hirono's, or Kei's: I don't like you."
I'm talking about those comments. I don't really agree with them, even if I don't feel the way you do, tun.
Old 2007-11-24, 21:23   Link #791
Shana

Quote:
The heck? I'm not sure what you're doing there. That's fine if you like Chihiro and don't like Miyako. I don't see why you need to change my post though.
I can quit it, though.
Old 2007-11-24, 21:25   Link #792
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
I'm talking about those comments. I don't really agree with them, even if I don't feel the way you do, tun.
I don't agree with those comments either. People can like whatever the hell they want. None of these characters "deserve" any kind of sympathy or attention from us.
Old 2007-11-24, 21:32   Link #793
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much I only feel sympathy (pity) when it's deserved. I reserve empathy (understanding) for all other occasions. I very much empathize with Miyako. Sympathy would inspire one to help somebody, or at the least wish them the best (better than others). Empathy would inspire one to be more lenient in applying or desiring suffering when punishing or correcting a wrong.
Well, in truth, perhaps it's me who's been using the "sympathy" word inappropriately. Empathy is arguably the better word. I've never been abandoned by my parents, at least to the extent that she was, so I can't say that I can "feel Miyako's pain" (sympathy). That being said, I don't necessarily look down on her as a "poor thing" and just want things to go well for her in order to make up for her fate (pity). But I can understand where she was coming from in light of her past experiences and present circumstances (empathy).

I think what you may actually be getting at here is that you feel that some people are hoping for a Miyako happy ending simply out of pity or blind favourtism, as opposed to either warranted sympathy or empathy. As you go on to explain...

Quote:
"You guys just want Miyako to win because the show forced you to feel sorry for her!" is correct. Rather than "she's an obsessive bitch", it's more like "every other character is just as deserving of your support." The connection is the antagonism towards Kei and the disinterest towards Renji and Chihiro. I can't think of any other widespread examples.
In other words, what you find objectionable is when people latch on to one character and favour a particular outcome over otherwise reasonable and logical plot and character development. Sounds like a not-too-distant cousin to my own personal pet peeve, obsessive character fanboyism. That being said, who am I to deny someone their preferences, anyway. For some people, anime is all about hoping for and watching their favourite characters "win", and everyone else "lose". I don't think I'll ever understand that point of view, but it does seem to be prevelant. I don't necessarily agree that it's just because the show's making them feel sorry for her, though; they probably liked Miyako more than Kei to begin with anyway.

Quote:
In summary, the point I've been making with all my rants thus far was this: "You people who think that Miyako's story and happy ending are more important than Renji's, Chihiro's, Hirono's, or Kei's: I don't like you."
Well, in that case, I can sort of agree with you, except for the "don't like you" bit. Here's to hoping for a happy ending to all the characters in the show.

And anyway, it seems we're getting side-tracked here, so better more-or-less leave it at that -- for now.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 21:34   Link #794
◕‿‿◕

Feeling more sympathy for or liking one character more than other doesn't have anything to do with blind fanboyism.
Old 2007-11-24, 21:42   Link #795
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Feeling more sympathy for or liking one character more than other doesn't have anything to do with blind fanboyism.
No, of course not. I never said that. But, in extreme cases, they can be symptoms of the same root cause; when you want your chosen character to win at the expense of all reasonable plot development, for example. That's not an accusation that I'm levying against any poster in this thread, myself. But that seems to be the one Sol Falling is lamenting, and if that were a problem, I would find it annoying too. I'm sure you can remember, without much difficulty, other shows in the genre where this has been an issue.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with feeling sympathy for any character or liking or disliking one more than an other. I don't think I've hidden my own preferences in this matter either thus far. But taken to an extreme, it could be a problem and interfere with normal discussion. That being said, I don't see that problem here, which is why I raised my objection to Sol Falling's original posts in the first place.

Hope that makes more sense...?
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 21:43   Link #796
◕‿‿◕

Yeah, if that's how it is, then we agree entirely.

I just wanted to make it clear that to me, and to you, there's a pretty damn big distance between preferences and fanboyism. Preferences...everyone has them. Fanboyism, that's a different matter.

I won't hide the fact that I think Miyako's a better person than Kei so I care more for her wellbeing than the latter's, though. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna flood the board with Miyako banzai or anything like that.

But I don't really see anything wrong with fanboyism either unless people are trolling. You're free to be all banzai you want if you don't annoy other posters in general.

In any case the bottom line is that I do want a happy (or at least consistent) ending and character growth for everyone, but of course I'm always gonna like one character more than the other. And if someone really likes one character, or/and finds another completely uninteresting or unlikable (I've found lots of character I thought were just plain boring in this genre), then that's perfectly fine with me.
Old 2007-11-25, 01:19   Link #797
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

As relentlessflame wrote, this show provides an "ample feast." If it goes on like this, it will be a classic for me.
Spoiler for ep8:
The visuals are becoming even more complex, if anything. I know the people who were put off by them in episode one aren't still around, but boy are they missing something. I liked the visuals then, but I love them now. The look of this show is a big part of the feast.
Spoiler for ep8 animation:
In general, I think this collection of (for the most part) third-tier seiyuus is doing wonderfully well. I'll give some kudos to the sound director, Tsuruoka Yota, who did SHnY, Lucky Star and Rozen Maiden, among many others. Directors must think he does something right: right now he is doing Sketchbook, Blue Drop, Dragonaut, Clannad and Ghost Hound. My understanding is that the sound director normally directs the seiyuus.

The discussions about who does or does not deserve sympathy seem so wrong to me. Of course it's useless to argue over personal reactions, but one of the great things for me about this show is that I feel both empathy and sympathy for all the main characters. I don't know yet which of their many supposed mistakes will turn out to be a correct decision, and I don't think anyone else does, either. And it doesn't matter. In this show at least, my sympathy doesn't depend on someone being deserving or "right." They all have their problems and habits and situations to deal with. I don't see any really bad people here, just fallible humans trying to get through their lives. How can I not feel sympathy for...
Spoiler for ep8:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-11-25 at 02:13.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 06:03   Link #798
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Yeah, if that's how it is, then we agree entirely.

I just wanted to make it clear that to me, and to you, there's a pretty damn big distance between preferences and fanboyism. Preferences...everyone has them. Fanboyism, that's a different matter.

I won't hide the fact that I think Miyako's a better person than Kei so I care more for her wellbeing than the latter's, though. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna flood the board with Miyako banzai or anything like that.

But I don't really see anything wrong with fanboyism either unless people are trolling. You're free to be all banzai you want if you don't annoy other posters in general.

In any case the bottom line is that I do want a happy (or at least consistent) ending and character growth for everyone, but of course I'm always gonna like one character more than the other. And if someone really likes one character, or/and finds another completely uninteresting or unlikable (I've found lots of character I thought were just plain boring in this genre), then that's perfectly fine with me.
preference leads to bias towards the character whereas fanboyism leads to the extreme (fortunatly i rarely fall into the latter catagory ).

we all have favourites...this usual then leads us to looking at points of views that goes in favor of the character (and ignoring less favorable facts XD). if someone says something bad about a character it is natural to protect her agaisnt slandering with counters, especially if she is your favourite or "liked".

its hard to remain neutral (or near impossible) but i do like to defend both parties depending on how much support each side is getting...right now kei is considered to be the "bad" one, but i can also see a bright side to her

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 06:19   Link #799
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for ep8:
Spoiler for Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu and Ef ep8:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 06:30   Link #800
Sol Falling

*sigh* 'k, last post (till I see ep 8), promise...

I never said anybody "deserved" anything. I merely said they're all equally deserving. For all that says I could've meant they all deserve nothing.

I didn't say that you shouldn't feel any sympathy at all or like one character more than another (although personally, like Kaoru Chujo, I think all the characters are just relatable, fallible humans). I guess relentlessflame would be right that I have an issue with that preference taken to an extreme. Since you asked, and since I can define it now, I'll spell that limit out.

It's to the point of disrespecting the show. It's to the extent of not trusting the authors, and thinking that the show would be better one particular way. I haven't read through the first 25 pages or so of this thread, but I know one blog where the author repeatedly mentioned that Renji x Chihiro was boring and where some commentors said that they should shorten those segments to give more time to the other trio (if you haven't noticed, each episode is half-half right now). And then there were people hoping (not just worrying) that we'd have a 'nice boat' ending and that Kei would die. It was stuff like skipping over the Renji x Chihiro segments because the Miyako parts were 'just too good' (I have this issue with people not watching all of ep 9 of Haruhi too). The judgements on Kei at the end of episode 6 and the condemnations that she had lost 'any chance she had left with Hiro' when the story is clearly still portraying her as a sympathetic character.

I suppose I was just pissed off that everybody was going "omg second half of episode 7 was totally amazing!" because of Miyako's breakdown but totally ignoring the first half which was the most (also totally amazing) development Renji x Chihiro in any episode thus far.

I am not accusing anybody of these things, but empathise with me a bit when I say that I've actually seen them.

My point isn't really that you shouldn't like some parts (or characters, they're parts too) of the show more than the others, or that you can't dislike it. My point is only that if you will say that you like the show at all, if you're going to take the time to try to enjoy it, please give the whole thing that chance. Like Miyako, but like Kei too because she is a part of this story just like Miyako is. Like the Miyako x Hiro x Kei triangle, but like Renji x Chihiro too because they are a part of this story just like the others are. This is something the creators are working hard on, and it means something as a whole, not in just the little bits and pieces that you liked. If you're watching it and you like it, then trust it and let it show you more of what it is instead of focusing on what you want it to become. It's like love (omgwtfbbq what the hell am I saying).

So once again, if you actually do do that, then trust me I like you and am not accusing you. I am ranting at someone else who probably cannot hear me.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft