Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-29, 01:16   Link #861
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Ahhh... I need to start watching each episdoes as they come out or I get to have the honor of scrolling back 4 pages to catch up >.< Seems like I didn't miss much ^^, hold off on the arguments, so I can get off the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As relentlessflame wrote, this show provides an "ample feast." If it goes on like this, it will be a classic for me.
Spoiler for ep8:
The visuals are becoming even more complex, if anything. I know the people who were put off by them in episode one aren't still around, but boy are they missing something. I liked the visuals then, but I love them now. The look of this show is a big part of the feast.
Spoiler for ep8 animation:
In general, I think this collection of (for the most part) third-tier seiyuus is doing wonderfully well. I'll give some kudos to the sound director, Tsuruoka Yota, who did SHnY, Lucky Star and Rozen Maiden, among many others. Directors must think he does something right: right now he is doing Sketchbook, Blue Drop, Dragonaut, Clannad and Ghost Hound. My understanding is that the sound director normally directs the seiyuus.

The discussions about who does or does not deserve sympathy seem so wrong to me. Of course it's useless to argue over personal reactions, but one of the great things for me about this show is that I feel both empathy and sympathy for all the main characters. I don't know yet which of their many supposed mistakes will turn out to be a correct decision, and I don't think anyone else does, either. And it doesn't matter. In this show at least, my sympathy doesn't depend on someone being deserving or "right." They all have their problems and habits and situations to deal with. I don't see any really bad people here, just fallible humans trying to get through their lives. How can I not feel sympathy for...
Spoiler for ep8:
I feel pretty much the same way you do. Since this episode was mostly geared toward Chihiro and finally revealing truly what each and every episode were meaning by say "It's not good to get too involved with Chihiro" and finally Renji found out why, but it stopped at a good point to perplex the viewers and finally gives Chihiro a sympathy vote. We can thank Shaft for their weird ways of presenting animes, since Pani Poni Dash had a lot of them too.

I was really surprised how angrily Chihiro jumped for her Diary, pretty much vindicate her feelings of love toward Renji. It's funny how you compared Renji situation with Asaba from Iriya ^^, but that's pretty much his situation but without the physical pressure and more emotional waves of them, since he know jack about Chihiro's situation along with Chihiro never talking about it with Renji too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_moon
If something bad was to happen to Miyako how would Kei react to it? I'm pretty sure she didn't expect the meltdown that Miyako went through. If Kei finds out how much damage her action's caused to Miyako (even though making Hiro miss the date was through no direct action of her own), would she blame herself for it?
You can pretty much tell by the way she reacted when Hirono got a call on his cell that she was extremely fidgety. From what I can infer, she mostly likely has a streak of guilt deleting all of those messages, but she also wants Hirono for herself, but truly on the inside, her neglectful actions before, I would say are coming back at her quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_moon
atm I really can't see a happy ending for every character, each one of them just seems to have so much against them. I do think at least one person is going to end up hurt badly, or at the very least dissatisfied by the end of the show, but I will be hoping that I am wrong!
We can only hope for the best, eh?^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Well, she said she had disappeared from her parent's hearts. And in episode 1 she said that since her grandma isn't home, she can't get in because her key was in the stolen purse, indicating she isn't living with one of her parents anymore. So yes - i would say she was pretty much abandoned.
I would say it's more of the emotional attachment, but that's pretty much correct. Since her parents lost interests in each other, and none of them feel any remorse to leave Miyako on her own, even though she's with her grandmother too; In her situation, she is pretty much abandoned, even if she was living with her parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Spoiler for The Final Scene in case you missed it:
I'm glad I read this post, cause I keep forgetting that Ef has that "bonus" scene at the end ^^. Well... since I posted already why not?

Since she says I haven't disappeared yet, she still has a fighting chance. Hirono himself said he was worried, but we don't quite know yet if this "worry" is a emotional attachment rather than a "big brother" worry instead. My sisters has been doing some crazy crap, i gotta keep in touch with them more often than ever now >.<.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Perhaps the most intriguing part of this ep, IMO is the opening shower scene. Monochromatic fanservice aside, Kei is clearly trying to wash away her guilt from the cell phone accident. Yet, she surprises me when she pulls what is probably the cruelest trick so far in the series. Just how does she feel about tricking Miyako and Hirono like that anyway? Even when her relationship with Hirono is progressing with him offering to spend more time with her due to their injuries, she still looks very unsure about her methods.

At least Miyako has taken a step away from the yandere direction, even though she isn't prominent here.

ChihiroxRenji once again climaxes with one of her offers, nothing really noteworthy IMO. The novel's symbolism is insightful as usual.

The real highlight of their arc is Himura's underhanded tactics here. He says he tried to wake her several times, but doesn't show any surprise when Renji wakes her with a single word. It's pretty clear from the way he obstructs Chihiro's rememberance of Renji and saying "it might be too late already" that he doesn't approve and now he's finally proactively stopping the relationship. At least that's my take on what transpired.

Is it just me or is the artistry of this series getting better and better? It was already a fairly deep and well done work, but damn...
Kei's mouth repeating the same 2 frames while delivering a line kinda detracts from it though...animation might actually be getting worse.
Well... Chihiro from the beginning was pretty much basing her story on her personal self and the limits she had, but since our beloved Renji came along, that chain link of hers is being bent, simply loosening up Chihiro. But now since he's seen Chihiro's other self, I want to know how Renji will respond. Since this is an anime he really only has 3 way to react:
1. Accept it now, take it like a real man ^^, lol j/k no "like a real man"
2. Reject Chihiro
3. It takes him some time like Asaba.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 01:16   Link #862
cyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
That's one really bad spoiler there. Even though most people should know already from various sources (e.g. game "opening" video, DVD prologue) that how the characters are going to be paired up, it's still one bad spoiler, don't you think?
How exactly is that a spoiler? Are the filipinos known for their sterotypical happy endings or something?

Edit: I just realized that the series is about 2/3 of the way finished and currently two of the major female characters have already reached rock bottom so really now they can only go up from here
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 01:23   Link #863
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoti View Post
How exactly is that a spoiler? Are the filipinos known for their sterotypical happy endings or something?
I meant the thingy in the spoiler tag, namely the game screenshot.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 01:50   Link #864
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
That's one really bad spoiler there....
The fact that it's a possibility in the game doesn't mean it's going to happen in the anime, necessarily (although I'd like it to). I'm no expert on games, but I thought they often had various possible endings.
Spoiler for ep8:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 02:47   Link #865
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
The fact that it's a possibility in the game doesn't mean it's going to happen in the anime, necessarily (although I'd like it to). I'm no expert on games, but I thought they often had various possible endings.
Usually they are, but ef is pretty much single-routed --- it's either continue or game over (or you can call it bad ending, but either way, you don't get to advance to the next chapter or the rest of the story).
Old 2007-11-29, 02:47   Link #866
tabun
rawr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
I was really surprised how angrily Chihiro jumped for her Diary, pretty much vindicate her feelings of love toward Renji.
But is it really love?

The way I understand it, she lived for a long time "by the book", meaning the guidelines her sister put in her diary to ensure Chihiro's "memory" would at least grant her some sort of order in her life. The fact that she met Renji and him being quite responsive to her (and her state) let her more than ever realize her limitation, yet also fed the hunger for more in her life.

During the time with Renji, she came as close to being normal as never before (after the accident). Rather than being in love with him in the first place, I think he is her anchor to that life she craved so desperately. Being deprived of this sole link to her new life would, in fact, be like dying to her. Imagine someone came over to you and said "sorry, but I have to take away your memory of the last few weeks*, it's in your own best interest". Unthinkable! [* (or even years, as not only the time with Renji is written down in her diary)]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana
I've watched episode 8, SHAFT really knows how to please the followers . I remember someone said in this thread (I think) "After all, this isn't KimiNozo" but after that Chihiro scene, I have to say "Sorry, but you are wrong, this is KimiNozo with a more-interesting plot".
I really don't understand how these two series can be compared to each other, but I guess that remains a matter of personal opinion.
Old 2007-11-29, 02:49   Link #867
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Call me nuts, but it seems that Chihiro, in a typical day, doesn't even interact with Kei.

It seems Yu Himura (white hair guy) is the primary caretaker of Chihiro.

Also, I doubt Renji was in it purely for romance from the get-go anyway. He just seems to be fascinated with her to begin with. I honestly believe him when he says to his mom that she isn't his girlfriend. Not yet anyway.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 02:54   Link #868
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89 View Post
If you think it's cute, it's being told wrong. Well, it does sound like the kind of short story I like to read.
By 'cute', I meant the naivete of the girl, no matter how ridiculous the things she is doing. Like throwing away the wedding dress into the garbage heap just because she doesn't know better. It comes off as a slightly dark comedy to me. Sniffing smoke without knowing better, kissing paintings only to taste oil. Comedic genius.
Old 2007-11-29, 03:07   Link #869
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
By 'cute', I meant the naivete of the girl, no matter how ridiculous the things she is doing. Like throwing away the wedding dress into the garbage heap just because she doesn't know better. It comes off as a slightly dark comedy to me. Sniffing smoke without knowing better, kissing paintings only to taste oil. Comedic genius.
Most importantly, it does make the girl sound weird. That was her goal after all.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 03:07   Link #870
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabun View Post
The way I understand it, she lived for a long time "by the book", meaning the guidelines her sister put in her diary to ensure Chihiro's "memory" would at least grant her some sort of order in her life. The fact that she met Renji and him being quite responsive to her (and her state) let her more than ever realize her limitation, yet also fed the hunger for more in her life.
Good points about Renji being an anchor to normal life.

On the other hand, though, I think Yuu only meant to take away the journal temporarily, so that she would have nothing else to do but go to sleep. If you remember from the dialogue the summaries in the journal help Chihiro remember the moments in more vivid detail; in essence its just a stronger version of her running over important things in her mind. All Yuu's actions were saying was "be satisfied with your summaries, don't overextend yourself".

Y'know, the 13 hour thing really is pretty convenient for this kind of condition. The fact that it's longer than how long it takes her to sleep means that Chihiro actually doesn't really need the diary; although she can only retain approximately 2 and a half hours of memories (assuming an average of 8 hours of sleep, and equal time spent memorizing and remembering before and after sleep), those 2 and a half hours can theoretically stay with her forever.

Like, Chihiro is aware of her condition before going to bed, and is aware of it upon waking. Therefore, she doesn't need to reread the first couple pages of her diary every day because she's always carrying that information. It is only on the rare occasions when she loses conciousness for a full 13 hours that she experiences a 'full reset'. That just makes this episode even sadder, though.

I have to wonder. These 'full resets' can't be happening all that often. I'd say they might only occur when Chihiro is really sick; she's probably only had to go through the shock of finding out about her body and her memories again a couple times, at most. If that's the case, then I'd consider Yuu's actions upon Chihiro's waking up to be the superior jackassery. I mean honestly, you've got this fragile girl going through a life changing crisis behind you and all you do is look at the other guy and go "See? You can't handle this." Why don't you answer her when she goes "Himura-san?" and give her a hug or something, ya little fuck.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 03:33   Link #871
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I'm pretty sure Renji isn't exactly an anchor to Chihiro's life. Not yet anyway. If you look at it objectively, all Renji did so far as disrupt Chihiro's life as much as help her.

Also, I really doubt the 13 hour rule has changed at all.

It seems that Chihiro put herself through not sleeping through precisely because her life resets every time. It must be a monumental effort just to get out of the bed and out of the house every day.
Old 2007-11-29, 03:33   Link #872
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

(episode 8 spoilers follow)

I think that Yuu has his own issues, quite naturally. His self-worth is probably bound up with his caring for Chihiro, so there is likely some subconscious resistance to anyone becoming closer to her than him. That's why I have had my reservations about him, although I can sympathize with him, too. He has to have no hope, because his hopes have been dashed before, in the early days, and he couldn't stand to have them dashed again.

I picture Chihiro normally spending an hour or so memorizing the salient facts of her life before she goes to sleep every night. Recently, however, she has so much that she wants to actually remember that she is waking herself early to memorize facts about the previous day with Renji and her novel -- or memorize what she has gone over the night before -- so she ends up falling apart from lack of sleep. At least I think that's what is supposed to be going on. Am I right?

I think Renji is an anchor to a new life for Chihiro, rather than the old one. I hope that she will get her new life back somehow. Hope.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 04:10   Link #873
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Episode 5 and 6 of this series had made me really happy since I felt that SHAFT was finally starting to do the good job I felt the story deserved. But episode 7 became really painful to watch. The thing with this show is that I know a beautiful story is going on..but the presentation just turns me off. We hardly get to see characters faces..and the scenes seem so over dramatized...that somewhere the true essence of this story is losing out.

Is it me..or there are others who feel that SHAFT is doing a bad job over here
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 04:14   Link #874
Sol Falling

Quote:
I picture Chihiro normally spending an hour or so memorizing the salient facts of her life before she goes to sleep every night. Recently, however, she has so much that she wants to actually remember that she is waking herself early to memorize facts about the previous day with Renji and her novel -- or memorize what she has gone over the night before -- so she ends up falling apart from lack of sleep. At least I think that's what is supposed to be going on. Am I right?
Yeah, that was my interpretation as well.

Himura does have his own issues, as that last bit showed. I would have considered his initial taking away of her journal as reasonable in the interests of Chihiro's well-being, but the other behaviour clearly demonstrated some mixed up priorities. Well, in that case, Chihiro's healing would also be directly linked to Himura's healing.

I'm kinda stuck as to how Chihiro could possibly heal, though. This episode served to explore the range of Chihiro's options within the limitations imposed upon her. Maybe I'm just not creative, but I can't really see a happy ending which doesn't involve somehow transcending those limitations. On the other hand, if Chihiro is somehow magically healed by the end of the show, that would cheapen the story somewhat, I feel.

Your note about ef - the latter tale is interesting. So, I presume that means that nobody (among the audience at least) knows the conclusion to Renji and Chihiro's story?
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 04:28   Link #875
tabun
rawr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I think Renji is an anchor to a new life for Chihiro, rather than the old one. I hope that she will get her new life back somehow. Hope.
That was indeed what I meant with anchor, because all that she seemingly has gained circles around the person of Renji being present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling
On the other hand, though, I think Yuu only meant to take away the journal temporarily, so that she would have nothing else to do but go to sleep.
Quite so, but due to the extent of her "memories", losing this time to sleeping might set her back for several days even! To what content exactly remains, of course, unknown to us.
Old 2007-11-29, 04:41   Link #876
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Ah..just watched Episode 08..and thnk god SHAFT kept back its symbolism and focused more on characters. I see "50 First Dates" Scene repeating :P

BTW..doesnt Chihiro remember that she got into an accident..or does every morning Himura-niisan tell her to read the diary???
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 04:56   Link #877
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
BTW..doesnt Chihiro remember that she got into an accident..or does every morning Himura-niisan tell her to read the diary???
Read what others are currently talking about before you post. As long as she doesn't sleep for more than 13 hours she remembers she's been in an accident and knows about her diary.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 06:09   Link #878
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Your note about ef - the latter tale is interesting. So, I presume that means that nobody (among the audience at least) knows the conclusion to Renji and Chihiro's story?
Yep. Actually, right now it doesn't really matter anyway. Just like Hiro, Miyako, Kei, and Kyosuke, we might know how they are going to end up with each other, but we wouldn't know what's going to happen in the next stage of the story. As I mentioned a few times, right now the show has completely drifted off from the game. It's the story development that we enjoy, not the conclusion, right? But I believe we should be able to see a satisfying ending for all the characters.
Old 2007-11-29, 11:39   Link #879
relentlessflame

*Administrator

(Catching up from last night...)
Quote:
That's one really bad spoiler there. Even though most people should know already from various sources (e.g. game "opening" video, DVD prologue) that how the characters are going to be paired up, it's still one bad spoiler, don't you think?
On the one hand it is... we're not allowed to spoil future events even in spoiler tags in this thread. That being said, I also agree with the other half of your statement -- that they've never exactly been coy at all on who's ending up with whom. Not to mention that, at this point, the damage has been done... I did edit out the image, though, in case there are any innocents that can still be spared...

Anyway, as a reminder, no spoiling game events in this thread, and no posting game CGs. Even if it's pretty strongly suggested anyway, we should let the anime tell its own story.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 11:53   Link #880
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

caught up with ep. 8, and it impresses once more, solidifying its hold as my favorite anime of the season. SHAFT's audiovisual artistry + quality storytelling = excellent anime (so far)

I just can't help thinking that the Renji-Chihiro pairing will be a tragedy in the making, and if SHAFT decides to boldly go for it, plus respect points for them, and I expect it to make a huge impact. although seeing Chihiro try so hard against her handicap makes me want to root for her to succeed.

nevertheless, if they want to go with the happy-ending route, i hope the studio will be creative with it.

ultimately, with 4 eps(?) to go, I hope they finish the plot nicely.

8.75 / 10

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft