AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 25 36.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 43.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 14.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.45%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-25, 17:49   Link #41
7Th
Mixtape

Huh? Viral was keeping up quite well against Simon, their fight was interrupted by the Dai-Gurren and Cytomander. I don't consider this TR-like antics at all. And the show isn't falling into an episodic style either, IMO.
Old 2007-06-25, 17:59   Link #42
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1cious View Post
yes, but what do we actually know about him? other than what we saw in that one little scene. also all the information about the Helix king came from various rumors, nothing has been confirmed yet. judging from the final scene of this ep, it's clear he's not what he claims to be.
Still very old. because he and general oldie go way back.
are you saying in ten years he got so fat?
and also up until than he was hapily being a father in an underground city because of beastman.

Well if he really is kamina's father i'll give you a feather. But i highly doubt it
Old 2007-06-25, 18:41   Link #43
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Heh the Helix King is not fat, he's actually very muscular and big. I remember seeing a clear shot of him in some magazine, he's like some really huge wrestler.

I don't know why some feel GL is getting "rinsed and repeated". I mean, this is one of the few times an anime has entertained me EVERY SINGLE episode. In my 15+ years of anime watching (yes I am old), very few animes actually kept me at the edge of my seat every episode. If all the fun is being repeated, then hell yeah they should keep on doing it.

Sheesh, I swear some of you "new-age" anime watchers are getting way too picky. I remember days when there was no internet to influence the way you watch stuff. You just watch anime and enjoy yourself, not go into forums and start flame wars about which character has the bigger boobs. *rolleyes* But hell, even I am dragged into some of this.

Oh well, I blame the internet for everything. Gotta go with the times.
Old 2007-06-25, 18:57   Link #44
Kisuke06
I see...

Damn, GL just keeps getting better and better. This episode was great and I think its animation stood out, compared to the rest of the episodes so far.

It was a great fight. Viral vs Gurren-Lagann, I was anxious to see this again. And in this episode there where such great moments, like when the big Gummen(you know, Da-Gurren-Dan HQ)kicked the flying ship.

And about the next episode... someone else is going to die? Nia, maybe? You gotta be freaking kidding me... >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken
I mean, this is one of the few times an anime has entertained me EVERY SINGLE episode.
I have to agree with you man.
Old 2007-06-25, 19:03   Link #45
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast_within View Post
Still very old. because he and general oldie go way back.
are you saying in ten years he got so fat?
and also up until than he was hapily being a father in an underground city because of beastman.

Well if he really is kamina's father i'll give you a feather. But i highly doubt it
I'm pretty sure he's not Kamina's father... but he isn't fat either. Let me go for the magazine scan in the "Spoiler Topic".
Old 2007-06-25, 19:08   Link #46
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Huh? Viral was keeping up quite well against Simon, their fight was interrupted by the Dai-Gurren and Cytomander.
While I agree that there's no TR antics going on in this show, Viral was starting to get whomped on by Simon. He even says something to the effect of, "Why am I losing to this human child?!"

If Cytomander hadn't busted in and pulled the bitch move holding Yoko hostage, Simon probably would've took him down.
Old 2007-06-25, 20:05   Link #47
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast_within View Post
yes you sound stupid. helix king is a thousand year old fat bastard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
I'm not fat! I'm big boned!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I liked the scene where Simon fought those planes. It had an Earthworm Jim feel to it.
I got Spider-Man vibes from that (the '60's cartoon version, though).

Old 2007-06-25, 20:20   Link #48
suske

i definately see viral going maverick or even joining the brigade soon. that or being killed by the king.
has there been any word on a second season yet? i don't see simon
getting to space in this season imo.
Old 2007-06-25, 20:44   Link #49
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suske View Post
i definately see viral going maverick or even joining the brigade soon. that or being killed by the king.
Are you kidding? With that series' pacing I keep wondering how they'll make this show last 26 episodes, Gar Simon included.

I really liked the smoother animation we got for the sweet Yoko/Simon moment. Seems like our sexy sniper is quite ready to move on, sadly for her Simon seems to be set on Nia...
Old 2007-06-25, 20:49   Link #50
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by suske View Post
I think it's made very clear from the beginning that this is going to be just a 26 ep affair.

In fact the pace of the plot is very fast: 8 eps one major character dies, next ep one major character appears, 3-4 eps main character becomes semi-GAR, 2 eps going to meet the final boss. That's just 15-16 episodes in all. We have 10 episodes for one major plot twist/advancement in one ep, 2-3 eps for the after effects and we still got another 5-6 eps for one time leap, main character to be FULL-GAR and the final showdown. Judging by how much plot they can manage to squeeze in one episode, I'm fairly certain this will end nicely in 26 eps, with plenty of action and consistent pacing throughout. Although I have a feeling things are going to be a little rushed in the last few episodes.
Old 2007-06-25, 21:15   Link #51
Hazies

Send a message via MSN to Hazies
Well, I'd say Gurren-Lagann seems to be getting more awesome as it goes along. Don't agree with the 'rinse and repeat' sentiment, especially since this episode saw some significant development for Yoko and especially Viral. My prediction is that Viral defects to the human side during the boss battle and sacrifices himself to defeat the Spiral King and the remaining generals. The story's moving so fast, makes me wonder how much material they've actually written (I remember hearing earlier something along the lines of Gainax originally wanted to do a longer series, but didn't think the could afford it).
Loved the insane Dai-Gurren midair kick sequence, and the 'spiderman' drill-slinging.

Also, saw Production I.G.'s name in the credits (23:32 of the raw), and was wondering if they were the ones responsible for that CG-esque animation in the sequence where Yoko tells Simon she loved Kamina.

9/10 from me. This show keeps on outdoing itself.
Old 2007-06-25, 21:18   Link #52
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazies View Post
Well, I'd say Gurren-Lagann seems to be getting more awesome as it goes along. Don't agree with the 'rinse and repeat' sentiment, especially since this episode saw some significant development for Yoko and especially Viral. My prediction is that Viral defects to the human side during the boss battle and sacrifices himself to defeat the Spiral King and the remaining generals. The story's moving so fast, makes me wonder how much material they've actually written (I remember hearing earlier something along the lines of Gainax originally wanted to do a longer series, but didn't think the could afford it).
Loved the insane Dai-Gurren midair kick sequence, and the 'spiderman' drill-slinging.

Also, saw Production I.G.'s name in the credits (23:32 of the raw), and was wondering if they were the ones responsible for that CG-esque animation in the sequence where Yoko tells Simon she loved Kamina.

9/10 from me. This show keeps on outdoing itself.
Production I.G has been in the Gurren-Lagann credits since the beginning and the whole storyline is written... they have even finished animating episode 22.
Old 2007-06-25, 22:00   Link #53
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Production I.G has been in the Gurren-Lagann credits since the beginning and the whole storyline is written... they have even finished animating episode 22.
I've seen ufotable in the credits... what are their role in this? (I don't know why I thought of ufotable when I saw the Simon and Yoko scene at the end of the ep...)

Old 2007-06-25, 22:37   Link #54
Hazies

Send a message via MSN to Hazies
Quote:
Ah, k. Must have slipped my vision
Old 2007-06-25, 22:42   Link #55
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I've seen ufotable in the credits... what are their role in this? (I don't know why I thought of ufotable when I saw the Simon and Yoko scene at the end of the ep...)

Ufotable has been on a few Gurren episodes... although this is their major participation in the series as they were very prominent in the credits. Thus far the major studios involved in Lagann are Gainax and IG.
Old 2007-06-26, 00:23   Link #56
X_Danny_X

awesome episode and they gave yoko more action and she gave more fanservice hehehe.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, in this episode i got the vibe that yoko might be developing feelings for simon. after seeing simon fight on his own and get the better of viral just like kamina did, she saw him as an adult or someone that is way beyond his years when it comes to talent. seems to me that she is seeing the same traits in him that she saw in Kamina and I think will develop feelings for him.

Yoko sweety, i love you and all but you better stay away from Simon/Nia pairing.

i think if Yoko does develop feelings for him, she would stay in the sidelines and let Simon/Nia pairing develop out of respect for Simon and also in memory of Kamina.
Old 2007-06-26, 00:44   Link #57
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit

This episode was great! the animation was really superb, especially when it was between Simon and Yoko at the end. The whole swinging across flying ganmen was awesome and the Dai-Gurren Flying Kick was frickin wicked =P

I'm glad this anime is not super predictable, they keep possiblities open like what the future holds for Viral. Also speculation on who will possibly die next makes me shiver at the thought of it possibly being Nia >.<
Old 2007-06-26, 07:03   Link #58
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Did anyone else think Eva-01 (from Evangelion) when Cytomander's Ganmen, Shuzack appeared for the first time within the smoke? It was mainly the red eyes that makes me think this.
Old 2007-06-26, 09:29   Link #59
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

wait.... what's with next week's title and nia's ominous pose? O.O
Old 2007-06-26, 09:29   Link #60
Keiran
Slacker extrodinaire

On a side note:
Quote:
I don't know why some feel GL is getting "rinsed and repeated". I mean, this is one of the few times an anime has entertained me EVERY SINGLE episode. In my 15+ years of anime watching (yes I am old), very few animes actually kept me at the edge of my seat every episode. If all the fun is being repeated, then hell yeah they should keep on doing it.

Sheesh, I swear some of you "new-age" anime watchers are getting way too picky. I remember days when there was no internet to influence the way you watch stuff. You just watch anime and enjoy yourself, not go into forums and start flame wars about which character has the bigger boobs. *rolleyes* But hell, even I am dragged into some of this.

Oh well, I blame the internet for everything. Gotta go with the times.
I guess nobody shares my sentiments, well anyway...

Hey, i may not have 15+ years of anime viewing on my belt (although i do come really close XD) but I'm sure as hell don't let the internet influence my tastes. Look, I'm not saying that i hate GL (it's actually one of my spring-anime faves). I'm just enumerating some nit-picks i had with the show.
Closed Thread