AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2013-09-05, 17:55   Link #121
Kazu-kun

Screenshots from the latest PV:

http://desktop2ch.tv/anime2/1378378127/?p=936

Man, all this is so weird. It's like the whole movie will take place in an alternate reality or is a big flashback to one of the old timelines.

I hope they're just trolling because that would be such a disappointment. I want to see the new world.
Old 2013-09-05, 17:58   Link #122
GDB

What the hell is going on here?

This is a bit nuts.

And this just raises further questions.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 18:05   Link #123
bastek66

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-09-05, 18:18   Link #124
GDB

Definitely looks like an alt timeline or flashbacks somewhere along the way. They showed a Homura vs Octavia scene.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 18:30   Link #125
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Here's my pure speculation...

Madoka has setup a specific afterlife realm for her friends and/or all Puella Magi. This afterlife realm is, or at least includes, a close facsimile of Mitakihara Town, even including a facsimile Mitakihara Middle School.

At some point during the movie, Kyouko dies.

Upon arriving in Madoka's afterlife realm, Kyouko decides to take Hitomi's place in the Madoka/Sayaka/Hitomi friendship circle. Hence why we see the three of them going to school. Madoka allows Kyubey to move back and forth between her afterlife realm and the real world to satisfy his fascination with this all. That's why he's there.

The movie's key conflict is between Homura and Mami in the world of the living. They have some sort of severe ideological disagreement that brings them to serious conflict. In any event, Homura ultimately wins, killing Mami in the process. Mami then joins Madoka's afterlife realm.

In this afterlife realm, Madoka reveals other timelines to her friends. Hence why we have an image of Mami holding a facsimile doll of Charlotte. For Mami's soul, this is something she keeps to remember her days in the world of the living.

The movie ends with Homura committing suicide, possibly due to despair over not seeing Madoka, or feeling guilty over killing Mami. After committing suicide, Homura is shocked to find herself in Madoka's afterlife realm.

Madoka rushes over to greet her, and the main cast is now complete in Madoka's afterlife realm. Their story is effectively closed out, with future "Puella Magi" installments being devoted to different casts, turning the show into something Gundam-esque.

This is honestly the best idea I can come up with to explain these screenshots. Mami holding a Charlotte doll... Kyouko wearing a Mitakihara Middle School uniform and taking Hitomi's place in a friendship trio with Madoka and Sayaka... this is VERY hard to explain otherwise. Even if we're looking at a past timeline, it's hard to see how this fits.

Edit: Well, another possibility I can think of is that Homura pulls off some sort of total miracle. She somehow brings about a world where the main cast is all back and alive and not magical girls. In any event, the screenshot where Madoka is hugging Homura, and then shortly after the main cast is all standing on a flowery hill has a definite feeling of "This isn't a flashback" and "This is the ending" to me, given how each of the main cast gets a glowing close-up. But who knows - Maybe something NGE-esque trippy is going on?

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-09-05 at 18:51.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 20:17   Link #126
Jimmy C

Problem with Homura trying to kill herself is she would shoot her soul gem, not her head. Especially past the point where she no longer wore braids.
Addition: After watching the video, it occurs to me that we've missed one thing. Some of the previously shown scenes could be from the OP and therefore not part of the actual movie.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 20:27   Link #127
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Problem with Homura trying to kill herself is she would shoot her soul gem, not her head. Especially past the point where she no longer wore braids.
That's a good point, but then why is she pointing a gun at her head in the previews? Maybe she thinks she's stuck in a dream world, and that shooting herself in the head will wake her up?

Anyway, these screenshots really are something else. If nothing else, Gen (and/or SHAFT) seems to be getting pretty imaginative here.

Edit: In conjunction with Jimmy C's speculation, are they going to have the characters 4th-wall break in order to open the movie and that's some of what we're seeing in the screenshots? I hope not, as that would be incredibly cheesy, but they did do that in some Madoka manga I've read...
Old 2013-09-05, 21:35   Link #128
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

I'm crying and hyperventilating! HOMURA VS MAMI?!! JSHAFHAHFHAFHKSAFDSF!! AND THAT HEARTBREAKING SCENE WHERE MADOKA WAS BRAIDING HOMURA'S HAIR!!! T________T
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 21:48   Link #129
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
I'm crying and hyperventilating! HOMURA VS MAMI?!!
The screenshots of it look really good. I'm very interested in finding out why they're fighting each other.
Old 2013-09-05, 23:24   Link #130
Tainaka
Enpatsu Shakugan

Actually, what I would like to know is how the hell can someone like Homura hold her own against Mami in combat? Sorry but... Homura never excelled in that kinda quick paced combat. Especially against someone who is as much of a veteran as Mami is? Sorry but that's like 50 steps up the ladder. In other words, too much of a leap to go from worst in combat to fighting someone who's practically the best in combat all the while making it look like they were completely even all around.
Tainaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 00:49   Link #131
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainaka View Post
Actually, what I would like to know is how the hell can someone like Homura hold her own against Mami in combat? Sorry but... Homura never excelled in that kinda quick paced combat. Especially against someone who is as much of a veteran as Mami is? Sorry but that's like 50 steps up the ladder. In other words, too much of a leap to go from worst in combat to fighting someone who's practically the best in combat all the while making it look like they were completely even all around.
If you take into account how weak Homura used to be originally, and how she changed in the final timeline, I can definitely see her using her time-warping powers to do some special training of her own.
Old 2013-09-06, 01:43   Link #132
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoiYuki View Post
I don't remember what I was doing, but I zoomed in on it for some reason and saw it. Here:
"Hey look, Madoka! It's our new friend: Poochie!"
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 02:25   Link #133
Tainaka
Enpatsu Shakugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
If you take into account how weak Homura used to be originally, and how she changed in the final timeline, I can definitely see her using her time-warping powers to do some special training of her own.
Ehh, that's really iffy. Maybe we could see it sorta, but I don't see them making it happen that way for some reason. I just hope they explain it somehow. You don't just suddenly become quick and powerful out of no where. I mean, sure they got a boost or something when they made a contract (magic and probably the feeling of a super light body or something) but everyone sorta was a noob and started from level 1 so to speak. As they go they get faster/stronger/better. I just don't want it to be some random unexplained change just to make Homura look even better (she's already cool as it is, ya know?).
Old 2013-09-06, 04:44   Link #134
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Dat shaft head tilt

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Actually, what I would like to know is how the hell can someone like Homura hold her own against Mami in combat? Sorry but... Homura never excelled in that kinda quick paced combat.
In timeline 1 sure but not sure what makes you say that about the current series timeline?Girl was athletic as hell,remember she was breaking prefectural records during PE class in the first episode.
Old 2013-09-06, 06:04   Link #135
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Actually, my original thought was much the opposite - Timestop should be a massive hax in an one-on-one fight between two magical girls. So why is Homura vs. Mami seemingly such a very evenly-matched fight? If Homura has timestop, she should be able to win this fight cleanly and quickly. I hope this isn't going to be like so many countless Flash and Superman fights in comic books where the writer conveniently has him forget that he can blitz almost any opponent...

That being said, I know what you mean. Take Homura's timestop away, and I would expect Mami to win fairly decisively. Even if they're about equally athletic, Mami simply has way more in the way of offensive magic capabilities.

But who knows? Gen is a good writer, of course, so maybe he's found a way to make this fight believable with or without Homura's timestop abilities.
Old 2013-09-06, 07:41   Link #136
1337_haxor

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Actually, my original thought was much the opposite - Timestop should be a massive hax in an one-on-one fight between two magical girls. So why is Homura vs. Mami seemingly such a very evenly-matched fight? If Homura has timestop, she should be able to win this fight cleanly and quickly. I hope this isn't going to be like so many countless Flash and Superman fights in comic books where the writer conveniently has him forget that he can blitz almost any opponent...

That being said, I know what you mean. Take Homura's timestop away, and I would expect Mami to win fairly decisively. Even if they're about equally athletic, Mami simply has way more in the way of offensive magic capabilities.

But who knows? Gen is a good writer, of course, so maybe he's found a way to make this fight believable with or without Homura's timestop abilities.
There is a scene where Sayaka thrusts her sword into Homura's shield, perhaps the sword fragment hampered Homura's time stop abilities in that timeline.
1337_haxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 07:52   Link #137
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_haxor View Post
There is a scene where Sayaka thrusts her sword into Homura's shield, perhaps the sword fragment hampered Homura's time stop abilities in that timeline.
I'd love to see a screenshot of this sword-into-shield bit if anybody has it. That sounds pretty badass, and it's yet another surprising thing about this movie.

But yeah, it would explain Homura's time stop abilities being compromised.
Old 2013-09-06, 09:20   Link #138
1337_haxor

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'd love to see a screenshot of this sword-into-shield bit if anybody has it. That sounds pretty badass, and it's yet another surprising thing about this movie.

But yeah, it would explain Homura's time stop abilities being compromised.
There you go:
Spoiler for image:
1337_haxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 12:35   Link #139
Tainaka
Enpatsu Shakugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
In timeline 1 sure but not sure what makes you say that about the current series timeline?Girl was athletic as hell,remember she was breaking prefectural records during PE class in the first episode.

Haha, dude, that's because she was at a school and she was contracted and doing whatever the heck she felt like. I don't know why that would compare to other magical girls. Sure Mami was at the same school, but do you really think someone like her is after some sort of record? She's too busy unfortunately thinking about what to do next as the only (before Homu shows up) magical girl in town.

Also, it's shown that compared to just our main 5, Homura is the weakest in her offense, speed, and stamina. She's also barely above Madoka and Sayaka in defense.
1st/2nd Movie pamphlet statistics: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...t-magical-girl

I also didn't say anything about magic. Homu clearly has the best magic (who wouldn't want time abilities ) You are right that we don't know much about the current series timeline though, but I still kinda feel that maybe it's safe to say they are still how we remember them combat wise. You never know though, like Triple R said, guess I'll just wait it out. But if it is true, I hope it's explained.
Old 2013-09-06, 13:55   Link #140
woxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_haxor View Post
There you go:
Spoiler for image:
Looks like she didn't broke it and just prevented to use it once.
I'm still suprised no trailers got Bowmura with wings and ribbon.
woxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka