AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > No Game No Life

Notices

View Poll Results: No Game No Life - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 35 42.68%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 29.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 17.07%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.44%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-06-08, 11:06   Link #161
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I am sorry, I cannot accept this. Having your existence erased and your memories robbed is an act of violence. Violence doesn't just constitute physical abuse.
And this is why you will never be able to understand why the game, or this show, makes sense; you have no ability to think beyond your own moral code and point of view.

I understand that erasing someone from existence or robbing memories from someone IS an act of violence, to me and most people I hope. This would be the common viewpoint from most people in our culture, in our race, and in our world. But we aren't dealing with our culture, race, or even our world here.

Even outside TV shows, anime, cartoons, etc, in the real world people cannot accept other people's moral and cultural differences, a point of pride for me is to be understanding of other people and culture's different moral values and points of view. Also note, I said understanding of moral differences, this doesn't mean I consider these differences to be personally acceptable by my own moral codes, I just get that I was raised to believe differently then the other party.

An example: (Pulled from TV Tropes: "Blue and Orange Morality.")
Spoiler for People who care to read:

Tet's morals are not the same as yours, they are not the same as mine, I personally agree with your opinion, however, our opinions are completely irrelevant here, only Tet's is as he is the one who decides how everything works.
Old 2014-06-08, 13:55   Link #162
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
This is the second possibility Sora came out with and he concluded that it was the right one, but he imagined another possibility first (that he excluded) which is what I was talking about.

Perhaps there was some mishap in the way the anime handled it or the translation I've seen, but the material I've watched implies: If hypothesis 1 is true (the game is impossible to win), then it was cheating and the elves could win by exposing it.
And since this didn't happen Shiro and Sora excluded this possibility.
Actually that's exactly what it is, as the definition of a game, and definition of "cheating" is basically what happens.

Remember when Sora said "If we can't even win then it's can't even be considered a game". Thus to play a "game" to a "gamers eyes" aka [ ]-Tet, it must be possible to win.

If the game seems winnable and is not, that that's foul play, and thus cheating. And Under the oaths if you can expose it, then it's your win.

It's quite a simple to get because Tet is after all the God of Games.
Old 2014-06-08, 19:01   Link #163
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
And this is why you will never be able to understand why the game, or this show, makes sense; you have no ability to think beyond your own moral code and point of view.

I understand that erasing someone from existence or robbing memories from someone IS an act of violence, to me and most people I hope. This would be the common viewpoint from most people in our culture, in our race, and in our world. But we aren't dealing with our culture, race, or even our world here.

Even outside TV shows, anime, cartoons, etc, in the real world people cannot accept other people's moral and cultural differences, a point of pride for me is to be understanding of other people and culture's different moral values and points of view. Also note, I said understanding of moral differences, this doesn't mean I consider these differences to be personally acceptable by my own moral codes, I just get that I was raised to believe differently then the other party.

An example: (Pulled from TV Tropes: "Blue and Orange Morality.")
Spoiler for People who care to read:

Tet's morals are not the same as yours, they are not the same as mine, I personally agree with your opinion, however, our opinions are completely irrelevant here, only Tet's is as he is the one who decides how everything works.
Back when Shana Final aired, I was one of those who says the Crimson Denizens aren't evil. They eat humans because that's what they are, they are no more evil than a cat eating mice. If anything, I have a loose definition what constitutes a moral act, so I am a bit offended when people say I can't think outside of my own moral code.

People (or Gods for that matter) are free to assign any moral value to any act. BUT you don't get to redefine what the act itself means. You don't get to say you're a Pacifist then proceed to nuke everyone in the room because your definition of "murder" is "giving bread to others". Absurd, I know, but that's how I feel about Tet's laws. Someone mentioned his laws aren't some lawyer bullshit, and I agree. It's even worse than that.
Old 2014-06-08, 19:27   Link #164
Seitsuki
Onee!

I think you're misinterpreting something.

The Oath doesn't state that violence will never occur. It just stops you from going around killing people for the lulz. If there is consent from both parties however they can do whatever they want. So as you pointed out earlier yes it's possible for murder games to occur and yes it's probably possible to blackmail or otherwise coerce people into such a thing and as far as the story goes that remains a glaring plothole.
Old 2014-06-08, 20:02   Link #165
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Getting the Elves help ultimately is to prevent the Warbeast from cheating through magic. Yes, they're a technological race, but only the Imanity has zero affinity with magic and cannot use them. Warbeast is ranked at 14, so they had to be able to use magic, no matter how minuscule.

The last thing Blank needed is that tiny bit of magical interference that can decide between victory or defeat.
Old 2014-06-08, 20:02   Link #166
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I think you're misinterpreting something.

The Oath doesn't state that violence will never occur. It just stops you from going around killing people for the lulz. If there is consent from both parties however they can do whatever they want. So as you pointed out earlier yes it's possible for murder games to occur and yes it's probably possible to blackmail or otherwise coerce people into such a thing and as far as the story goes that remains a glaring plothole.
Based on what? If that were the case, why would the bandits from episode 1 not do that instead of a normal game? By all accounts, no, you cannot use violence.
Old 2014-06-08, 20:28   Link #167
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Based on what? If that were the case, why would the bandits from episode 1 not do that instead of a normal game? By all accounts, no, you cannot use violence.
because they still need to get the agreement of the other party.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2014-06-08, 20:51   Link #168
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I should probably mention though, putting Tet's BS-erry aside, this explanation regarding the power of the Oath itself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
Spoiler for length:
Makes enough sense to me. I get why Fii and Jibril has to cast magic for the game to work, while OTOH Werebeasts who're low on magic can erase memories by themselves.
Old 2014-06-08, 21:41   Link #169
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Back when Shana Final aired, I was one of those who says the Crimson Denizens aren't evil. They eat humans because that's what they are, they are no more evil than a cat eating mice. If anything, I have a loose definition what constitutes a moral act, so I am a bit offended when people say I can't think outside of my own moral code.

People (or Gods for that matter) are free to assign any moral value to any act. BUT you don't get to redefine what the act itself means. You don't get to say you're a Pacifist then proceed to nuke everyone in the room because your definition of "murder" is "giving bread to others". Absurd, I know, but that's how I feel about Tet's laws. Someone mentioned his laws aren't some lawyer bullshit, and I agree. It's even worse than that.
Spoiler for MAOR Debates!:

By the way, I'm not trying to disrespect your opinion or moral codes or anything else like that. I am in fact having fun with this debate.
Old 2014-06-09, 00:07   Link #170
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
because they still need to get the agreement of the other party.
That's hard to say, because oaths don't contradict other oaths that we know of so far. They only work together.

A "violence game" might be possible, but it would take a high level of magical squirming to get around it, aka Jibril's game is not actual death, but simulated death, and it's not even a "death" it's a "unable to continue".

A simple murder game would definitely run into troubles, since it violates a lot of other oaths, and you can't really have that. Even with the consent of both parties.

It maybe that a murder game simple won't happen, as it'll get "null"ed. AKA a winner can't be made, and becomes a draw.

Just because you have consent doesn't mean it truely is consent, as there are some checks involved, usually on the mental level.
Old 2014-06-09, 01:41   Link #171
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Spoiler for MAOR Debates!:
This is actually in accordance with my point. In my view, in this example what's different between the girl and the two guys is the value attached to the violence ("violence is bad" vs "violence is fun"), not the definition of violence is self. You can get a bit into more details like types of violence etc, but the bottom line is what differs is the moral value attached to them, not the definition. You can also get double standards by applying different values on a similar/same thing this way.
Old 2014-06-09, 06:38   Link #172
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

I don't see what the problem with a so-called "murder game" would be, given mutual consent. Of course there's a pretty simple reason why you wouldn't see it very often. Eventually, you're going to end up with only one guy willing to give that consent. Everyone else who was willing to give that consent lost (ie: was killed), and the odd new willing psycho that pops up now and again would likely not last their first encounter with a Flügel.
Old 2014-06-09, 06:51   Link #173
lolzorz

Guys, the "violence" issue is quite irrelevant. Do you know why? The exact wording of the Oath in question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ten Oaths
All bloodshed, war, and pillaging is forbidden.
Hooray for literal readings! Violence is not equal to bloodshed. The term you should be focusing on is bloodshed. Since there was no blood shed, there is not a single problem with the existence and memory erasure. Sure, it brings up some questionable morality issues, but nope, not against the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
Getting the Elves help ultimately is to prevent the Warbeast from cheating through magic. Yes, they're a technological race, but only the Imanity has zero affinity with magic and cannot use them. Warbeast is ranked at 14, so they had to be able to use magic, no matter how minuscule.

The last thing Blank needed is that tiny bit of magical interference that can decide between victory or defeat.
It has been confirmed that the Werebeasts are unable to use magic at all. They can detect magic, and have superior physical abilities, but no magic.
Old 2014-06-09, 07:24   Link #174
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Actually that's exactly what it is, as the definition of a game, and definition of "cheating" is basically what happens.

Remember when Sora said "If we can't even win then it's can't even be considered a game". Thus to play a "game" to a "gamers eyes" aka [ ]-Tet, it must be possible to win.

If the game seems winnable and is not, that that's foul play, and thus cheating. And Under the oaths if you can expose it, then it's your win.

It's quite a simple to get because Tet is after all the God of Games.
It's a god of games but certainly not the god of fair games.
If a game is impossible to win the parties involved can simply refuse to play it, and I don't think that being duped into thinking that a game is winnable when it is not is any more deceiving than how Sora duped Steph with the Rock Paper Scissor Game (he basically bypassed the rule that both parties must agree on the equal value of the bets).

Moreover it doesn't fall under a strict definition of "cheating", because cheating implies that some rule must be broken, if Tet wanted that games had to be winnable he should have made a specific rule about it.

Like I said before "Tic Tac Toe" is impossible to win when the parties involved have a basic understanding of the mechanics, and yet nobody in our world consider it a cheating game or do not consider it a game.

Quote:
A simple murder game would definitely run into troubles, since it violates a lot of other oaths, and you can't really have that. Even with the consent of both parties.
Well the game that Sora and Kamiru played involved something even worse than death in my opinion, but I guess it's a good way to go around the rule that forbids murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolzorz View Post
Guys, the "violence" issue is quite irrelevant. Do you know why? The exact wording of the Oath in question:
However the thieves in episode 1 said: "At least let us punch you once!" which means they normally cannot.

I think that what actually prevents violence is the second rule. Since no one agrees to be hurt without a valid reason as soon as someone wants to hurt them a "dispute" situation arises and it must be resolved through a game.

This also explains why Shiro could hit Sora since she has his "permission".

So basically violence beside robbery, war and murder are possible but only if the parties involved agree to them. And this is why the game that we have seen in this episode doesn't break any rules.

The only thing that I still don't understand is why did it have to involve "existence" when it could simply involve memories for Sora's practical ends and why did it have to affect other people's memories and senses too.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2014-06-09 at 07:35.
Old 2014-06-09, 08:07   Link #175
lolzorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I think that what actually prevents violence is the second rule. Since no one agrees to be hurt without a valid reason as soon as someone wants to hurt them a "dispute" situation arises and it must be resolved through a game.

This also explains why Shiro could hit Sora since she has his "permission".

So basically violence beside robbery, war and murder are possible but only if the parties involved agree to them. And this is why the game that we have seen in this episode doesn't break any rules.

The only thing that I still don't understand is why did it have to involve "existence" when it could simply involve memories for Sora's practical ends and why did it have to affect other people's memories and senses too.
It's actually a combination of both the first and second oaths. The second oath states that all conflicts must be resolved through games - robbing is obviously a conflict since there's a conflict of interest. Now, another matter to think about is if the game involves punching... Since we still have no clue what happens if you break an oath, I suppose they wouldn't want to risk shedding blood if they punch too hard. There is also the matter of both parties agreeing to playing a punching game.

The first rule, however, is a blanket ban on bloodshed, war and pillaging, no matter if you are playing a game or not (at least, this is how I interpret it). This is indeed relevant here since the argument was about how there could be violence (no matter how you define violence) in Sora vs Kurami's game. The point here is that there is no explicit oath saying that there can't be violence - there just can't be bloodshed. The second oath is already satisfied by their conflict being settled by a game. Thus, we are in agreement that no rules were broken this episode.

As to why it involves existence - as Sora said, on the occasion that he loses, Kurami can easily erase his existence and everybody's memory of him, making it an extremely sweet deal for Kurami since she thinks he is an enemy of Imanity. It's basically a bait for Kurami to agree to his rules (since she actually can refuse if she thinks it is too disadvantageous), while conveniently hiding his true intentions of swapping memories - Kurami didn't even discover this until halfway through the game.

Also, personally I think Rule of Cool applies here.

Last edited by lolzorz; 2014-06-09 at 08:18.
Old 2014-06-09, 08:20   Link #176
kagato3

Quote:
It's actually a combination of both the first and second oaths. The second oath states that all conflicts must be resolved through games - robbing is obviously a conflict since there's a conflict of interest. Now, another matter to think about is if the game involves punching... Since we still have no clue what happens if you break an oath, I suppose they wouldn't want to risk shedding blood if they punch too hard.

The first rule, however, is a blanket ban on bloodshed, war and pillaging, no matter if you are playing a game or not (at least, this is how I interpret it). This is indeed relevant here since the argument was about how there could be violence (no matter how you define violence) in Sora vs Kurami's game. The point here is that there is no explicit oath saying that there can't be violence - there just can't be bloodshed. The second oath is already satisfied by their conflict being settled by a game. Thus, we are in agreement that no rules were broken this episode.

As to why it involves existence - as Sora said, on the occasion that he loses, Kurami can easily erase his existence and everybody's memory of him, making it an extremely sweet deal for Kurami since she thinks he is an enemy of Imanity. It's basically a bait for Kurami to agree to his rules (since she actually can refuse if she thinks it is too disadvantageous), while conveniently hiding his true intentions of swapping memories - Kurami didn't even discover this until halfway through the game.

Also, personally I think Rule of Cool also applies here.
It's important to note The Oaths can't prevent all bloodshed or how else do people have children? Child birth is rather bloody
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2014-06-09, 08:34   Link #177
Xacual

Quote:
It's important to note The Oaths can't prevent all bloodshed or how else do people have children? Child birth is rather bloody
It would have to be consensual sex though is the point. I really wish the anime wouldn't have skipped the oath discussions.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2014-06-09, 08:35   Link #178
lolzorz

Quote:
Clearly I think we have to use some sense here - obviously if I accidentally cut myself while cutting up some vegetables, while blood is shed it wouldn't be breaking an oath, would it? Also, some could argue that natural processes like the breaking of the hymen, menstruation or childbirth are exceptions, or perhaps because it was done under consent (rape wouldn't count, since by definition rape is non-consensual, and would be blocked by the second oath).

Alternatively, since the definition of bloodshed tends to include qualifications such as "the injury or killing of people", I believe that bloodshed with the intention of causing harm to other people is the issue here. Explanation: how it works is because it's aaaaaall magic.

Regardless, the main point (again) is that violence is not explicitly prohibited, rendering the earlier arguments in this thread quite moot.
Old 2014-06-09, 08:54   Link #179
Xacual

Quote:
Regardless, the main point (again) is that violence is not explicitly prohibited, rendering the earlier arguments in this thread quite moot.
This is where the anime kind of messed up because it left out an important discussion regarding the oaths. Yes violence is explicitly prohibited, Sora asked Steph about it. Apparently actions done with malicious intent that would cause harm are basically prevented from being carried out. This is any kind of harm really, so things like theft can't be done since that would harm the person you're stealing from.

The chat was at the start of volume 2 chapter 1.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...me_2_Chapter_1

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2014-06-09, 09:09   Link #180
lolzorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
This is where the anime kind of messed up because it left out an important discussion regarding the oaths. Yes violence is explicitly prohibited, Sora asked Steph about it. Apparently actions done with malicious intent that would cause harm are basically prevented from being carried out. This is any kind of harm really, so things like theft can't be done since that would harm the person you're stealing from.

The chat was at the start of volume 2 chapter 1.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...me_2_Chapter_1
I believe this is what you were referring to?

Spoiler for Chat:

If so, then I interpret it differently: I think Steph means that what is prevented are actions which: one, convey malicious intent, and two, go against the Oaths. In other words, such actions must fulfil both conditions. Violence, while of malicious intent, does not explicitly go against any oath at all, going by a purely literal reading of course.

Pure physical violence, such as punching and kicking, if they are blocked by the oaths at all (since a punch does not necessarily equal bloodshed), would probably be because they can potentially result in injuries and loss of blood, which is covered under the oaths.
Closed Thread