AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > No Game No Life

Notices

View Poll Results: No Game No Life - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 65 53.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 31.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 12.40%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.65%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-07-02, 00:40   Link #161
lolzorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
Just have to say...you do know the very concept of being a living, breathing individual means you go through stages of growth and development right?

Character development is there not to make the story more interesting, but to show the natural progression of characters as the story progresses. People aren't asking for character development for the sake of it as it's natural to expect change based on their experiences and interactions with the world.
Yes, it is natural. It also does add to the growth of the characters. The thing with NGNL is that, at this point, character growth is not necessary.

The entire initial premise results in this. We get two protagonists, established to be highly, ridiculously proficient gamers, who are "perfect" as they are right now. Whatever character development they had - it's all in the past, which I may add, is totally hidden from us. Occasional snippets here and there indicate various events which may have happened, but we are not privy to them as of now. We get the complete product from the get go, and your mileage may vary on how well that works.

Of course, character growth would be extremely welcome. It's just not time yet. The author still seems to be establishing how ridiculously amazing Blank really is, while at the same time revealing their pasts. We will probably get any future character development only after their pasts are established, since it was apparently a major factor resulting in the complete Blank we see today. Ideally, character development should take time, so maybe the author feels it's not right to do so as of now.

Furthermore, the mindsets of Sora and Shiro, as gamers, are treating Disboard as one huge game. Even though their experiences may be quite real, it's ultimately still a game to them. Have you ever changed your personality just to play a game?
Old 2014-07-02, 10:11   Link #162
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Such changes are usually subtle though. "Character development" in fiction are often sudden 180° personality turns. We have a completely weak-willed weakling who never showed a glimpse of being strong... 5 in-universe-days later said character is a super strong person who takes anyone on... that is what people often want to see as "character development". I actually have no problem with such scenarios, but I definitly don't think that it is a requirement... I mean do people in real-life ALWAYS change recognisably in the span of 2-3 months? I'd say not.
I think these are called growth process of characters or whatever instead of character development and have absolutely nothing to do with or have any relation to character development?
Old 2014-07-02, 16:32   Link #163
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
I think these are called growth process of characters or whatever instead of character development and have absolutely nothing to do with or have any relation to character development?
.....That is certainly an amusing way of thinking.

First time I see someone differentiating between "character growth" and "character development". Do enlighten me in detail how they differ to each other.
Old 2014-07-02, 18:18   Link #164
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well I must agree that while character development is cool and nice it's not really mandatory in a story by any mean and the lack of it shouldn't be necessarily seen as a negative point, at least not objectively.

Old 2014-07-02, 20:55   Link #165
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolzorz View Post
Yes, it is natural. It also does add to the growth of the characters. The thing with NGNL is that, at this point, character growth is not necessary.
The problem is that character development doesn't just spring out of thin air...most of the time. There's usually a process involved in slowly building the characters until they reach the tipping point. I'm of the opinion that the author is now laying the groundwork for future character development for Sora and Shiro. Though I do agree with you that any big developments for the two is unnecessary at this time.

Quote:
Have you ever changed your personality just to play a game?
Nope, but some people do have a tendency of changing their personality while in a game (or maybe expressing their real, uninhibited self).
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/greate...fuckwad-theory
Old 2014-07-02, 20:56   Link #166
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Btw to be fair and just for the record,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone
Such changes are usually subtle though. "Character development" in fiction are often sudden 180° personality turns. We have a completely weak-willed weakling who never showed a glimpse of being strong... 5 in-universe-days later said character is a super strong person who takes anyone on... that is what people often want to see as "character development". I actually have no problem with such scenarios, but I definitly don't think that it is a requirement... I mean do people in real-life ALWAYS change recognisably in the span of 2-3 months? I'd say not.
What people want to see as a good development is something believable. If the story have enough driving force to bring about said growth in said time frame in a believable manner then there's no problem. If a development seems unbelievable or rushed then it's a bad development, simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo
Well I must agree that while character development is cool and nice it's not really mandatory in a story by any mean and the lack of it shouldn't be necessarily seen as a negative point, at least not objectively.
I actually agree! There are a lot of good shows out there that make do with little development. I would even say that having no development is still marginally better than a having a rushed or unbelievable one. However, no character development is still no character development, so when someone accuses a show for it there's no need to grasp at straws that are not there. Looking back, grasping at said straws is what started this discussion and what made it longer than it should be.
Old 2014-07-03, 01:36   Link #167
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Btw to be fair and just for the record,
However, no character development is still no character development, so when someone accuses a show for it there's no need to grasp at straws that are not there. Looking back, grasping at said straws is what started this discussion and what made it longer than it should be.
Or maybe people shouldn't make such broad statements. The fact at least one character (Jibril or Kurami...pick your poison) showed development in a meaningful way already debunks the statement of "no character development." Main character or not, character development is character development yes?

So yeah still clearly grasping at straws here.
Old 2014-07-04, 04:09   Link #168
eiyuuou

Although there is no sig development for [ ], the audience gradually learns more about the two, especially how Sora perceives his life, past and humanity. Why do we really need to expect a change on [ ], gamers playing games in a game world?
Old 2014-07-13, 02:41   Link #169
Alucard24

I was a little surprised the end of the anime didn't match the end of vol.3 but it seems cool

Another weakness was the meeting with Miko : it was better explained in the LN.
Closed Thread